Death Knight and raising undeads

By curiosity how can death knights create undeads in lore ?

Also is there any requirement for the death knight to raise undeads ? For example the need of dead bodies.

Also again , how will lore characters feels about a death knight how has the ability to create undeads ?
    Last edited by Dregon; 2021-11-17 at 11:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Via Necromancy, a power granted to them by the Lich King. As for the "others," are you referring to other people in the game's story reactions to Death Knights and their necromantic practices, or the reaction of other players external to the story?
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Wondering how this actually works. Does the soul in the Shadowlands just disappear?

Quote Originally Posted by AcidX View Post
    Wondering how this actually works. Does the soul in the Shadowlands just disappear?
    I feel like with the way Shadowlands works, raising someone into undeath should be effectively turning them into a mindless husk without the original soul that's now within the Shadowlands; but obviously, undead as recently as BfA seem to operate under the idea that the soul is literally just yanked out of its blissful afterlife and put back into its now-undead body, which seems like a HUGE oversight both in and out of universe

Yeah I feel the same. Resurrecting Proudmoore is one example of course.

A regular death knight would only animate a corpse. No soul would be used for that and the animated corpse would not have sentience. In the DK Campaign the Lich King funnelled power to the Deathlord and allowed them to bring back his chosen Four Horsemen. Normally this wouldn't occur and wouldn't be possible without the Lich King granting the power to make this happen.

It took Guldan and his team of warlocks a long time to create the original death knights because of the amount of power and the process involved in putting a soul back into a body like that, something that isn't a problem for the Lich King having a direct connection to the shadowlands.

Quote Originally Posted by AcidX View Post
    I would say so....they would be summoned from the Shadowlands and brought into the corpse that they are being directed into. The real problem becomes the 'new lore' of there being 1 shadowlands and that place being the nexus of all beings and multiple versions all inhabit the one 'soul' idea that Blizzard floated around. That was a mess and a mistake i think but it was too late and they couldn't take it back. Realistically, each universe in the multiverse should be separate and that is where it ends. All the Drakkas in the multiverse do not inhabit the one soul body....that is silly because resurrection would prevent that soul from existing and no other universe could perform the resurrection then......

It is entirely plausible that because ALL Death Knights canonically wield Runeblades -- which are clearly made in the image of Frostmourne (if not quite so powerful) -- we're also taking a portion of our enemies' souls. There seems to be some kind of vague distinction between a "Soul" and a "Spirit", but it all seems gibberish to me.

Using Necromancy, my understanding is that we effectively pour some of our own power to "reanimate" a corpse. It may possess memories so long as the brain is intact, but it's not so much a "person" as it is a "puppet". What top-tier Necromancers or true soul-stealing Runeblades can do, however, is *actually* pour the soul back into the corpse. We do this fairly frequently, in fact, but only in quest settings.

Now, as for what state the Forsaken are in? That's honestly a decent question. Considering it's been mentioned that Arthas still saw the Scourge as "his people", he took the time to infuse their souls back into their bodies, so that when he lost control over them, they became sentient again, instead of mindless zombies.

Since it's implied undead do retain their soul/most of it upon being resurrected, it's just bound by domination magic to the runeblade wielder's will, that either implies they can only res the recently deceased who haven't been Kyrian'd yet or an extremely funny situation...

Death Knight: Rise, ghoul!
    Alfred Ghoulson: Ah, finally, Bastion! Last time I managed to be here for a good few hours and get my daily quests in. Wait, NO NO NO NOT AGAIN!!! * vanishes *
    Ghoul: Brainnnsssss [I hate you so much...]
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Skirdus View Post
    I feel like with the way Shadowlands works, raising someone into undeath should be effectively turning them into a mindless husk without the original soul that's now within the Shadowlands; but obviously, undead as recently as BfA seem to operate under the idea that the soul is literally just yanked out of its blissful afterlife and put back into its now-undead body, which seems like a HUGE oversight both in and out of universe
    As shown with Uther and Sylvanas,only PART of the soul is used to raise an undead. The forsaken have a piece of their soul, but specifically the "worst" parts of it usually.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    As shown with Uther and Sylvanas,only PART of the soul is used to raise an undead. The forsaken have a piece of their soul, but specifically the "worst" parts of it usually.
    Those two were different (and those slain by frostmourne) the blade consumed their soul and in Uthers case the light took some of him to Bastion/Shadowlands but the blade did still consume a portion as seen in the video.
    With Sylvanis he used that portion and dominated her soul into submission and the blade also consumed some. The souls that the blade was consuming were being funneled to the jailers little trove of souls and probably strengthening him some so he could escape.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbidaggy View Post
    Those two were different (and those slain by frostmourne) the blade consumed their soul and in Uthers case the light took some of him to Bastion/Shadowlands but the blade did still consume a portion as seen in the video.
    With Sylvanis he used that portion and dominated her soul into submission and the blade also consumed some. The souls that the blade was consuming were being funneled to the jailers little trove of souls and probably strengthening him some so he could escape.
    Sylvanas's equivalent to bluther originally went to Ardenweald, but was stolen by Mueh'zala and given to the Jailer. The Frostmourne portion is kind of debatable, because the new lore really just isn't consistent with the old lore, where the BQ Sylvanas had a taste of good afterlife, which has been torn away from her by Arthas.

#PlanneditsinceWC3