This is atrocious. If they wanted to make a series for women, they should have picked a series designed that way instead of frankensteining a feminist narrative into WoT.

Also, is it just me, or is the actor playing Perrin like super channeling the mannerisms of Kit Harrington's version of John Snow in GoT?

Just watched all 3 episodes currently available. It's not going to be for everyone and there are legitimate complaints to be made... but some people made up their minds about this show long before watching a single episode...and so they'll be going in looking for things to hate instead of keeping an open mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Just watched all 3 episodes currently available. It's not going to be for everyone and there are legitimate complaints to be made... but some people made up their minds about this show long before watching a single episode...and so they'll be going in looking for things to hate instead of keeping an open mind.
    The problem is that there are so many changes here that just don't make sense. Why make Matt's Dad an ass why have Egwene and Rand get it on. Why have Thom not in Two Rivers. Why skip the royal court and supposedly come back to it at a time when it won't have the same impact. Why skip the Bela scene. Why have Nynaeve get kidnapped and then overpower her captors. Why skip Caemlyn in general. Why skip Mordeth. There just so many changes that don't make sense.

When making an adapt I've always thought you should read the book once set it aside for a week then make a skeleton outline of the things that still stand out to you. That's pretty easy to do for wheel but it very clearly wasn't done.

5+ Year Old Account
    and I thought the books were bad, this is unwatchable lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    The problem is that there are so many changes here that just don't make sense. Why make Matt's Dad an ass why have Egwene and Rand get it on. Why have Thom not in Two Rivers. Why skip the royal court and supposedly come back to it at a time when it won't have the same impact. Why skip the Bela scene. Why have Nynaeve get kidnapped and then overpower her captors. Why skip Caemlyn in general. Why skip Mordeth. There just so many changes that don't make sense.

When making an adapt I've always thought you should read the book once set it aside for a week then make a skeleton outline of the things that still stand out to you. That's pretty easy to do for wheel but it very clearly wasn't done.
    Well it's like I said... there are legitimate complaints...but all you are doing is focusing on the fact that they made changes... you aren't asking yourself..."do those changes even work?"

And honestly? Some of them really don't... The Nynaeve thing was obviously just meant to be a fake out and yeah...kinda falls flat to me. There's better ways of showing off how much of a badass Nynaeve can be. But you don't even seem to be considering whether or not the changes work with the direction they are going with the story.

Thom not being in the Two Rivers? It's because he doesn't need to be. Although, I do wish they had someone other than Rand be the one confronting Morraine all the time. Which is another reason why I don't think the Nynaeve fake out really works. She's the one that should really be getting in Morraines face about stuff.

Rand and Egwene banging? Well, we got hot young people that are attracted to each other.... it seems weirder to me that in the books they weren't already bangin'.

I'm not sure why they did the stuff with Matt and his family. I guess they kind of want to give him more justification for some of the shitty things he ends up doing...but I just found all that time spent with his family was just dragging down the pace. And I kind of prefer Matt to be more selfish. He's the "rogue" of the party.

As for skippping stuff? Well, that comes down to pacing. There's only 8 episodes in the season. We're 3 episodes in and there is stil a whole lot of the first book to go....even with all the stuff they've skipped over.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    It's actually very frequent for any form of media to have such disparate reviews... some love stuff, others hate it, whilst another lot finds it bland.
    I know. Just find it funny that one can give it almostperfect score while others bomb it, subjective sure. But some standardshould be applied across when reviewing

Quote Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
    I know. Just find it funny that one can give it almostperfect score while others bomb it, subjective sure. But some standardshould be applied across when reviewing
    A review is an entirely subjective thing though. I mean, unless you want them to focus purely on how well they executed the mechanics of the technical work. Then I guess you might be able to get a standarized review system.

Rand and Egwene banging? Well, we got hot young people that are attracted to each other.... it seems weirder to me that in the books they weren't already bangin'.
    It's a small village in an older world setting with zero birth control. "bangin" would have been taken way more seriously and had way more consequences than I think modern society is familiar with. Which is how it's presented in the books, along with the watchful eye of every elder thats aware of their attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Nynax View Post
    It's a small village in an older world setting with zero birth control. "bangin" would have been taken way more seriously and had way more consequences than I think modern society is familiar with. Which is how it's presented in the books, along with the watchful eye of every elder thats aware of their attraction.
    Even in old world settings...teenagers fucked. They fucked a lot.

Honestly, in an old world setting...both of them should already be married. Virgins at 20? nah bruh

15+ Year Old Account
    “Review bombing” seems like an odd phrase when it’s for good reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

Even in old world settings...teenagers fucked. They fucked a lot.

Honestly, in an old world setting...both of them should already be married. Virgins at 20? nah bruh
    They weren't 20 in the books. Egwene had literally days before winternight been first allowed to get a braid and just become marriable age. They were probably 18 possibly 16. Again if they were getting it on consistently without birth control things would have happened. Also Rand is intensely innocent at the start of the books. Falling all over yourself at the sight of a girl isn't really a common thing when you've already seen each other au natural so to speak.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    “Review bombing” seems like an odd phrase when it’s for good reviews
    Astroturfing is the usual one but that's usually only applied to being done specifically by the company who has gains to get from reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Nynax View Post
    It is actually explained in the books. Nynaeve would have had words. With a big stick. Nynaeve did not approve of that kind of behaviour and she wasn't one anyone crossed, with very few exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    It is actually explained in the books. Nynaeve would have had words. With a big stick. Nynaeve did not approve of that kind of behaviour and she wasn't one anyone crossed, with very few exceptions.
    Oh yes, Teenagers have never gone behind the back of an overprotective parental figure in order to have the sex. Perish the thought.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theangryone View Post
    l Perrin is not the apprentice blacksmith doing everything for people, he’s a married blacksmith and let’s his pregnant wife do the work while he goes drinking.
    Wait they turned the helpful giant who doesn’t talk much because he likes to take in what others say and take extra time to think things through to the point where people think he’s slow into a layabout drunk?
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Wait they turned the helpful giant who doesn’t talk much because he likes to take in what others say and take extra time to think things through to the point where people think he’s slow into a layabout drunk?
    No, They had him show up to one of his best friends coming of age celebration and his wife ended up skipping it to work at the smithy. When he was told where she was he immediately left the party to be with her.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Oh yes, Teenagers have never gone behind the back of an overprotective parental figure in order to have the sex. Perish the thought.
    Wasn’t this more of a Matt thing? He’s the lady’s man at the start while rand is rather innocent?

- - - Updated - - -

No, They had him show up to one of his best friends coming of age celebration and his wife ended up skipping it to work at the smithy. When he was told where she was he immediately left the party to be with her.
    Ah I’ll have to check it out tomorrow if I got to time to see how it plays out then.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    A review is an entirely subjective thing though. I mean, unless you want them to focus purely on how well they executed the mechanics of the technical work. Then I guess you might be able to get a standarized review system.
    I know. It just rubs me the wrong way somehow seeing such differences

Quote Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
    I know. It just rubs me the wrong way somehow seeing such differences
    Well, this show is particularly divisive.

Some people want a completely faithful adaptation...and this isn't that.

I've read most of the books (kinda gave up around book 10) and so far I don't hate most of the changes they made...but I'm not going say it's super awesome either. I'll keep watching for now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Wasn’t this more of a Matt thing? He’s the lady’s man at the start while rand is rather innocent?.
    Well, Matt does still seem to be the player...

...But Rand and Egwene are in looooove.

I dunno, I just don't think it's a big deal that they boned. It wasn't even a gratuitous sex scene. Just implied sex really.

Well, this show is particularly divisive.

Some people want a completely faithful adaptation...and this isn't that.

I've read most of the books (kinda gave up around book 10) and so far I don't hate most of the changes they made...but I'm not going say it's super awesome either. I'll keep watching for now.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, Matt does still seem to be the player...

...But Rand and Egwene are in looooove.

I dunno, I just don't think it's a big deal that they boned. It wasn't even a gratuitous sex scene. Just implied sex really.
    It's a big deal because of Min's prophecies. Also they apparently didn't have Gitra's foretelling to tell Moraine the dragon is a he since apparently the one power is not separated into halves by gender anymore or some stupidity.