Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

What do you think about [SPOILER] becoming the new Arbiter?

[SPOILERS HEAVY]

...because I personally think that's lame.

https://www.wowhead.com/news/new-arb...poilers-324986

Quote Originally Posted by Pelagos
    And tell Adrestes I am sorry I could not become an acolyte.

Maw-walker! My friend! Without you, I may never have found my path.
    Now I can direct the flow of souls to the afterlife they justly deserve.

Yet one goal remains before us. To truly restore balance to the Shadowlands. The Jailer must be defeated.
    Yet much remains to be done. To restore balance to the Shadowlands. I fear more must be asked of you.
    Go in service, friends. Oribos and all the Shadowlands are counting on you.
    Pelagos is just one of the meaningless characters in the Shadowlands. Personally I'd rather even see Sylvanas or Tyrande doing that. Damn, even Arthas would have been a much more meaningful option.

Funny quote from the comments:
    "And who has a better story than Pelagos the Broken...?"
    It's an analogy to the S8 GoT ending, which was pretty stupid also.

Thread Warnings

Keep discussion in relation to the lore, not forbidden topics. Using Pelagos' identity to instigate inappropriate discussion is not welcome.
    Last edited by Rozz; 2022-01-12 at 05:56 AM.

Meaningless character become meaningless arbiter of meaningless shadowlands.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    snip
    Well there’s bound to be a questline explaining it so yeah I’ll wait to see what that entails first before passing judgment

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    [SPOILERS HEAVY]

...because I personally think that's lame.

https://www.wowhead.com/news/new-arb...poilers-324986

Pelagos is just one of the meaningless characters in the Shadowlands. Personally I'd rather even see Sylvanas or Tyrande doing that. Damn, even Arthas would have been a much more meaningful option.

Funny quote from the comments:

It's an analogy to the S8 GoT ending, which was pretty stupid also.
    The guy who couldnt even get wings is becoming Arbiter. Thats pretty funny.

stupid beyond reason, it just means that any soul can become an arbiter.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    So ultimately it probably doesn't matter because it's likely to be a throw away character that you literally never hear of going forward, but it's still really dumb. The character is effectively a nobody unless you go through the Kyrian campaign and if you haven't, well, you likely wouldn't even know who the character is.

I disagree that it's worse than Sylvanas though, Sylvanas would've been the absolute worst choice.

It's just a weird choice in the end and I don't even know who would be a proper choice for a position that's seen as pretty fucking important. Honestly I don't think they truly built up a character that even fits the importance of what the Arbiter is suppose to be doing, considering the position is literally deciding the fate of everything in the cosmos and has been doing that for ages? To throw that on a character that 75% of the audience might not even know is silly. Uther would've been a better choice only because he's far more known.. and even then Uther would be an awful choice.

Basically I don't think Blizzard could really win here because they never properly built up a replacement in the confines of their own story anyways.

Probably would have been better if the choice of Arbiter was never stated, really. We are just told it will happen and then we leave.
    Though then again, Pelagos being chosen for the task does preclude Sylvanas from doing it, and maybe that is all that matters.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

I am disappointed I was counting on Illidan

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless there's some sort of major character delevopment it does seems weird yeah

This just tells you Shadowlands is throwaway content. You will never be back here so who cares who runs the show after you leave? Worrying about this is like worrying about who leads after WoD came to a close. It's a bubble universe with no ties to the normal game world outside being a piece of the background.

Part of me, given all the speculation the Sylvanas would become the next Arbiter, wants to think that the devs put that in there deliberately to be datamined just to mess with us. IIRC, it would not be the first time they have done that.

Funny to see people swearing up and down they don’t give a shit about the Shadowlands story and they hate it are suddenly oh so invested in the choice for Arbiter.

Quote Originally Posted by Destructor View Post
    I am disappointed I was counting on Illidan
    I was hoping for Sargeras myself.

I share your disappointment.

Tyrande would have been the best choice. Seeing as how her people were condemned to enternal suffering in the Maw, she doesn't want to see that happening ever again.

Missed opportunity to kill off Sylvanas and wrap up her story arc. Oh well

5+ Year Old Account
    That's.......really unfortunate, but I guess it doesn't matter.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

Bran becoming King-tier baffling even more so as there was no indication someone needed to take up the place in the first place as the Arbiter was a soulless homunculus that was filled with the Blue Man's judging powers.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

Pretty sure we won't hear anything more about the Arbiter after this expansion, so why waste a strong character?

Doesn't really bother me, but i'll wait to experience the actual questline\story before passing judgement about it.

It just kind of follows the recent trend of Blizz setting something up and then undermining any meaningful impact it could have, which ultimately serves to further destroy any sense of stakes the story could have had.

My stance on it, from a storytelling standpoint is that just replacing the damned thing is cutting the legs from under the Shadowlands's story, because it gives credence to the idea that literally everything is replacable and in an odd turn of events ends up feeling like nothing matters. Replacing it with some random nobody, who is found lacking even in normal SL functions just makes it exponentially worse. Only solace we can take is that it wasn't any of the big named mortals.

5+ Year Old Account
    I think it's great. He's been struggling with his identity for so long. Finally, he finds his new purpose just like my mage.