Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    That wasn't the energy of Ed that was the energy of cringe. And the voice was terrible. If you are going to be dialing your chaos up to 11 you need cuteness to counteract it. Anyone who has kids or worked with them or even animals knows that when they do something bad and then proceed to do something cute silly it is going to lessen your anger/annoyance at them. Hell this even happens with adults. Anyone defending this performance clearly hasn't interacted with any human beings or animals ever.

They did a poor job at translating it to live action imo. Alita is the only live action adaptation I have seen so far that I was say was good/great.
    Again it was only a minute. Seems like you just want to be mad regardless of if it's justified.

- - - Updated - - -

I find it funny that people are using the rotten tomatoes score as evidence that everyone hates the show. When the only conclusion you really get from that score is that it's very devisive.

Like it's kind of amazing how toxic the fans are being about this. Giving me flashbacks to last of us part 2's reaction.

What I think has people worried and complaining is that they are extrapolating a full episode of Ed from that minute clip. And they have every right to do so. There was no variation or deviation from the moment Ed shows up to the end of the clip. And I don't think most people can handle non stop hyper active silliness. That may be Ed's character in the anime but there might be better ways to do it in live action.

If you are honest with yourself you would agree that if that one minute is indicative of what Ed is going to be like every time she is on screen then it is going to be painful to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    What I think has people worried and complaining is that they are extrapolating a full episode of Ed from that minute clip. And they have every right to do so. There was no variation or deviation from the moment Ed shows up to the end of the clip. And I don't think most people can handle non stop hyper active silliness. That may be Ed's character in the anime but there might be better ways to do it in live action.

If you are honest with yourself you would agree that if that one minute is indicative of what Ed is going to be like every time she is on screen then it is going to be painful to watch.
    Yeah sure if she's like that 100% of the time it'd be bad. But it's too soon to say she's gonna be like that all the time. You can't determine what a character will be like based off only one minute.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    Yeah sure if she's like that 100% of the time it'd be bad. But it's too soon to say she's gonna be like that all the time. You can't determine what a character will be like based off only one minute.
    True and benefit of the doubt is given. But it won't take the full episode (of the next season) to find out either way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    holy shit that scene is cringe and bad....idk what it is,but live action never feels right when it tries to replicate anime/cartoon stuff,it always ends up feeling weird
    Exactly my thought. The whole movie feels like a bunch of cosplayers coming together to cosplay their favourite cartoon just for the sake of it

Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    Exactly my thought. The whole movie feels like a bunch of cosplayers coming together to cosplay their favourite cartoon just for the sake of it
    Most of them look fine, Vicious is the only one who comes across as goofy looking but he's like Ed in that he's tough to translate to live action.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most of them look fine, Vicious is the only one who comes across as goofy looking but he's like Ed in that he's tough to translate to live action.
    My thought is what they shouldn't have translated it into live action the way they did. When live people do cartoon things it's goofy at best and cringeworthy most of the time. It would have been amazing if they did a cartoon with live people in a manner similar to what A-ha used in their "Take on me" music video:
    Spoiler: 

It wouldn't even be troublesome with modern technology
    Last edited by Yadryonych; 2021-11-21 at 10:34 PM.

I think Sin City also had a good way of adapting a comic book enviroment to the big screen. It was stylized into being a blend of a live action cartoon.

Again it was only a minute. Seems like you just want to be mad regardless of if it's justified.

- - - Updated - - -

I find it funny that people are using the rotten tomatoes score as evidence that everyone hates the show. When the only conclusion you really get from that score is that it's very devisive.

Like it's kind of amazing how toxic the fans are being about this. Giving me flashbacks to last of us part 2's reaction.
    Seems like I wanna be mad from one comment? Ok dude lol. Seems like you work on the show with how much you have been defending it.

I explained why this version of Ed is terrible and isn't working for most people like the anime does. And I highly doubt they are going to have them change their voice to a cuter one to make the her more tolerable. You seriously think they are going to change 90% of the performance given for the next season?

And saying something is shit isn't being toxic. Harassing an actor would be toxic.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    Seems like I wanna be mad from one comment? Ok dude lol. Seems like you work on the show with how much you have been defending it.

I explained why this version of Ed is terrible and isn't working for most people like the anime does. And I highly doubt they are going to have them change their voice to a cuter one to make the her more tolerable. You seriously think they are going to change 90% of the performance given for the next season?

And saying something is shit isn't being toxic. Harassing an actor would be toxic.
    I was speaking in general not in response to you. The site doesn't allow double posting it just updates your previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    Introducing ED

I honestly can't tell if this is over the top to the point of annoying or not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-0CF_Ch0DI

In spoilers just in case
    That is absolutely horrible, glad I stopped watching when I did.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, then. How is a whole hour's worth of that, or a whole season's worth, going to be better than that one minute? Because actors don't really change their performances because they have 50 minutes of screen time versus 5 minutes, or 1 minute. They play the character the same no matter how long they're on screen. Would you act like a screaming toddler if I ran into you at the store for two minutes one week, and then act like a completely different person if I spent a week working alongside you a month later? Of course not (unless you had some serious issues). And that's the same thing here.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

Just finished watching the entire series and overall I'd give it between a 6-8 out of 10 depending on the episode, so I guess the series as a whole gets a 7 from me.

I went into it knowing very little aside from the "Lost Session" minisode so I had assumed it would be brand new plots taking place in-between the episodes of the anime, but in actuality they combine several different episodes into retelling the tales from the anime--with mixed results. I enjoyed a lot of the bounty hunting parts and the interplay between Spike and Jet (and later Faye), but I felt these episodes suffered when they started diving into Spike's past with Julia and Vicious. Julia in particular seems to be completely rewritten to try to veer away from the "damsel in distress" she was in the anime and Vicious, well, let's just say they didn't learn the lesson that the Star Wars prequels should have taught filmmakers: nobody wants to know how villains became villains; they just want them to be badass. Too often Vicious comes across as Kylo Ren. Prone to temper tantrums, waving his sword around and shouting at the top of his lungs. For people watching the series for him specifically, the creators failed badly.

Fortunately for me Vicious was never the reason for me to watch. Cho did a better job with Spike than I thought he would (though I still feel there's room for improvement). Pineda's Faye was decent and not as over-the-top as I feared it would be from the minisode. Mustafa Shakir fucking nailed Jet as far as I'm concerned. The rest of the acting was a mixed bag, but I feel some of that is due to them trying to capture the characters from the anime without attempting to make them "real". Anime energy featured heavily in those performances.

The music was, as expected, fantastic. I'll definitely be picking up the OST when I can and reliving the old tunes while enjoying the new. My only real complaint there was that some of it was misused. They'd start the licks of Tank! during the opening scene only to cut to the full song during the credits or play the first few seconds of Doggy Dog before screeching it to a halt before it kicks in. It didn't happen too often, but when it did it was distracting.

As far as being faithful to the original anime...it was and it wasn't. The same skeleton was in place for large parts of it but the way in which it was fleshed out was largely different. Take the Eco-terrorist episode, for instance: similar villains to the anime, but the execution was almost completely different. The end results were the same, mostly, but some of it was obviously changed to adapt to other variations from the original. In the end I found most of the episodes very watchable and enjoyable, though 9 was...meh (see above re: Vicious).

I think the people saying they won't watch based on the 1-minute clip of an obviously over-the-top introduction to Ed are doing both themselves and the show a disservice. I, too, didn't particularly care for that small snippet, but I'm also betting that if Ed is in season 2 (if there's a season 2) then we won't be seeing them for very long, and especially not at that same level of energy, throughout. Ed in the anime was only ever used in small nuggets (with one or two exceptions when the story was centered around them) and I expect the same would happen in the series. A little Ed goes a long way, even in cartoon form.

All in all, I had a good time with the series and I'll probably give it a re-watch to pick up on some things I missed before or want to revisit. There were a few visual and audio cameos from the anime that had me grinning and I expect I missed others. So, again, 7/10 will watch again, but needs more E1n.

I actually liked Vicious, even his general goofiness was pretty endearing. It is odd if you know how he was in the anime but I appreciate that they made him a more fleshed out character especially when it comes to exploring his and Spike's friendship in episode 9. Plus seeing him slaughter everyone in the later episodes was pretty awesome.

It's different but I don't think the generic villain trope he was in the anime would have worked in the live action anyways.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Just finished watching the entire series and overall I'd give it between a 6-8 out of 10 depending on the episode, so I guess the series as a whole gets a 7 from me.

I went into it knowing very little aside from the "Lost Session" minisode so I had assumed it would be brand new plots taking place in-between the episodes of the anime, but in actuality they combine several different episodes into retelling the tales from the anime--with mixed results. I enjoyed a lot of the bounty hunting parts and the interplay between Spike and Jet (and later Faye), but I felt these episodes suffered when they started diving into Spike's past with Julia and Vicious. Julia in particular seems to be completely rewritten to try to veer away from the "damsel in distress" she was in the anime and Vicious, well, let's just say they didn't learn the lesson that the Star Wars prequels should have taught filmmakers: nobody wants to know how villains became villains; they just want them to be badass. Too often Vicious comes across as Kylo Ren. Prone to temper tantrums, waving his sword around and shouting at the top of his lungs. For people watching the series for him specifically, the creators failed badly.

Fortunately for me Vicious was never the reason for me to watch. Cho did a better job with Spike than I thought he would (though I still feel there's room for improvement). Pineda's Faye was decent and not as over-the-top as I feared it would be from the minisode. Mustafa Shakir fucking nailed Jet as far as I'm concerned. The rest of the acting was a mixed bag, but I feel some of that is due to them trying to capture the characters from the anime without attempting to make them "real". Anime energy featured heavily in those performances.

The music was, as expected, fantastic. I'll definitely be picking up the OST when I can and reliving the old tunes while enjoying the new. My only real complaint there was that some of it was misused. They'd start the licks of Tank! during the opening scene only to cut to the full song during the credits or play the first few seconds of Doggy Dog before screeching it to a halt before it kicks in. It didn't happen too often, but when it did it was distracting.

As far as being faithful to the original anime...it was and it wasn't. The same skeleton was in place for large parts of it but the way in which it was fleshed out was largely different. Take the Eco-terrorist episode, for instance: similar villains to the anime, but the execution was almost completely different. The end results were the same, mostly, but some of it was obviously changed to adapt to other variations from the original. In the end I found most of the episodes very watchable and enjoyable, though 9 was...meh (see above re: Vicious).

I think the people saying they won't watch based on the 1-minute clip of an obviously over-the-top introduction to Ed are doing both themselves and the show a disservice. I, too, didn't particularly care for that small snippet, but I'm also betting that if Ed is in season 2 (if there's a season 2) then we won't be seeing them for very long, and especially not at that same level of energy, throughout. Ed in the anime was only ever used in small nuggets (with one or two exceptions when the story was centered around them) and I expect the same would happen in the series. A little Ed goes a long way, even in cartoon form.

All in all, I had a good time with the series and I'll probably give it a re-watch to pick up on some things I missed before or want to revisit. There were a few visual and audio cameos from the anime that had me grinning and I expect I missed others. So, again, 7/10 will watch again, but needs more E1n.
    I saw the preview to this, and was floored. It looked VERY good. I had no idea it was based on long-standing anime.

I appreciate the write-up/review. I expect it will be a better experience for someone coming at it with no background knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I saw the preview to this, and was floored. It looked VERY good. I had no idea it was based on long-standing anime.

I appreciate the write-up/review. I expect it will be a better experience for someone coming at it with no background knowledge.
    Even coming at it with no knowledge of the existing anime series I would not say it's a spectacular show, but it's a good, entertaining show. I would recommend you give the original anime a shot (the English dubs are also available on Netflix) since it's one of the greats, though maybe watching them after the live series would be a better path for you.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post

As long as you're okay with a bit of campiness it is alot of fun. Do check out the anime afterwards, though honestly I always found the anime kind of dull but that's just personal taste.

Holy shit this was bad. How Netflix even greenlit something as horrendous as this is baffling.

They change things from the anime that should not be changed and keep some anime stuff that have to be changed for live action adaptions.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Even coming at it with no knowledge of the existing anime series I would not say it's a spectacular show, but it's a good, entertaining show. I would recommend you give the original anime a shot (the English dubs are also available on Netflix) since it's one of the greats, though maybe watching them after the live series would be a better path for you.
    Unfortunately, I've never been into anime. And I know I'm missing out, but at least for now it just doesn't rock my boat, so to speak. If it ever does, I'll be on here getting recommendations.

- - - Updated - - -

As long as you're okay with a bit of campiness it is alot of fun. Do check out the anime afterwards, though honestly I always found the anime kind of dull but that's just personal taste.
    That's good to know - the preview for it seemed to show some of that campiness, and I like that kind of thing, when it's done right/well.

well, that was great. I think thats the first anime adaptation I enjoyed watching. Characters were fun. Everything looked great. They toned down the anime sillyness, but not to the point that you couldnt still tell it used to be one.

Really quite impressive that they managed to make this.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."