Thread: Dota 2 or LOL?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    didn't play dota yet but lol looks simpler

Both games are not bad, but I still like Dota more, since I started playing it when it was a map for Warcraft 3

- - - Updated - - -

Lol is too simple and transient for me, in Dota you need to make an effort and constantly improve your skill and learn something new, which causes a lot of enthusiasm to win

Quote Originally Posted by Lavemgi View Post
    Which will you choose and why?
    I have played since Dota1. Moved to HoN. Moved to LoL and now playing Dota2.

HoN had a massive curve and was super tough, even for a Dota1 guy(quick paced, competitive and definitely not casual. Just a handful of creeps would make you win/lose the lane). But games like this pushes your limits.

LoL just came out back then. I only played 1 game - this is how it ended:
    I wanted to deny my creep - just to realize it's not possible(it was super wierd for me). Because in Dota series and in HoN - that's a major gameplay thing - PLUS the moba gameplay in common.

My instant impression was this game is build for casuals. I ended up completely annihilating people and solving the mechanics in just one game due to my background. I also thought that the gameplay is slower, so the macro control was no big deal. It was like watching a game in 0.5X speed.

I decided to delete LoL after that. It was clear for me, that they were stealing casuals both from Dota and HoN. I kinda hated them for it(yes - I know there are professionals aswell playing LoL - but I tend to have hard time getting impressed, as the game is easier per default).

Dota2 came out and people from HoN got spread out to LoL/Dota2. I myself found Dota2 to be a balance of HoN/LoL(you get the full spectrum here).

My own conclussion:
    Dota2 WILL make you a better player, even if you would play LoL at some point. It's highly addictive and you will never feel, that you are good enough, no matter the level you play.

Dota2 is also more balanced, due to high level tournaments and much less heroes to pick from(can't personally compare to LoL - but that's what the community is vocal about).

The Dota2 community is nice and toxic in the same time. It all varies from game to game - ironically, you will most likely end up toxic as well, when you reach a specific level due to the competitive culture and the performance requirements. I don't see this as a negativ thing - just equally - the game is very rewarding.

I'd say go for Dota2 and play it the original way.
    Last edited by HansOlo; 2021-08-01 at 07:31 PM.

lol is too simple and transient for me, in Dota you need to make an effort and constantly improve your skill and learn something new, which causes a lot of enthusiasm to win

Dota 2 over LoL.

Mostly because LoL was meant to be a simplified version of Dota 2 but as it gets up there in age, they want to make it more complex, which sort of defeats the point of the purpose of the game in the first place and why it was so easy to get into. As it was basically the equivalent of WoW and older mmos in that it streamlined the genre. As I personally just wanted to enjoy a more simplified version of Dota from time to time to unwind.

Also league while popular now especially in places like China, Tencent and Riot now have to deal with the fact that youths under the age of 18 have even less free time to play their game (were talking about 3-6 games on Friday/Saturday/Sunday from 8pm to 9pm).

Also just in general the coding and engine are showing their age. Like Vandiril comes out with a youtube video practically everyday showcasing a different bug or glitch every day on their channel. Or the reason Riot can't sell map packs or hud skins or announcers is because their file encryption system is so outdated.

I thought game vs game threads were not allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    I thought game vs game threads were not allowed.
    Bumping threads just to bump them and not adding anything of value is also not allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Bumping threads just to bump them and not adding anything of value is also not allowed.
    It was the top thread in the subforum, I didn't bump it up. Not everyone obsessively refreshes the front page of MMO-C like you.

Lightbulb LoL

LoL is great

3+ Year Old Account
    100% League of Legends, the game is much fun to play and it's pretty different from Dota

Dota 2 is too hard for me so I prefer to play LoL even it's hard too

I used to prefer Dota 2 but the community in my country got completely taken over by non-english (Russian) players so it became frustrating to try to play without the ability to comunicate.

At the time LoL was revolutionary for their role queue + the lane setup was more fun (I don't enjoy the 2 support 1 carry in the same lane with the constant creep pulling etc.). League does a great job of banning leavers, balancing the game and the F2P model is great.

However, I really miss the hero design in Dota 2. I think heroes like Pudge, items like Blink Dagger and the huge impact induvidual performance in Dota 2 is a big reason I am now looking into getting back into it. However, i'm back at square one. It's been literally 6 years since I played it and I am trash at it now.

I also see Dota 2 has more english players now, it has voice chat and it finally has role queue.

I play Dota 2 and the biggest reason I can't stand to even look/try/touch LOL is because I detest its art style. it just looks so damn... stupid/childish? I dunno how to describe it but I hate it and its absolutely the sole reason i've never touched LOL prior, despite having played thousands of hours in the moba genre with dota1+2. Which is really fucking ironic because....

... I absolutely love the art style and aesthetic of Arcane. I'm only having a second look at LOL now because i'm enjoying Arcane.
    Last edited by TyrianFC; 2021-11-22 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    League is where it's at.

Dota 2 was never really too popular, nor good. Valve just pumped insane cash money into tournament prize pools to increase interest among people. Even with that, it was LoL that became pretty much the generational phenomenon at some point rather than Dota 2.
    Yeah, a game that was the top game on steam for years and is #1 or #2 depending on the month now is absolutely not popular at all. LoL is a casual game, marketed for kids and Riot spend way more money on their tournaments and marketing their tournaments dude, you obviously have no idea what you're talking about

LoL is more popular because it's a kids game for all ages, Dota 2 is quite hardcore and disencourage a large group of gamers. Still #1-2 game on steam with the best E-sport in the world.

I used to play League like 2012-13 I think when it released. Hate the fact that I wasted so much currency on runes and then they just got rid of them. I love the fact that it has items and you can become a god and carry your team. This is the reason HOTS failed IMO they were sitting on a goldmine and just had to release a carbon copy of LOL and they would be #1 easily LOL with blizzard characters, but instead they made the shit show they did.

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    I used to play League like 2012-13 I think when it released. Hate the fact that I wasted so much currency on runes and then they just got rid of them. I love the fact that it has items and you can become a god and carry your team. This is the reason HOTS failed IMO they were sitting on a goldmine and just had to release a carbon copy of LOL and they would be #1 easily LOL with blizzard characters, but instead they made the shit show they did.
    Yep. Ironically them trying to make Hots more noob-friendly was a bad move, they should have made it like LoL where the experience is not shared and power is gained through levels and item shop.

In LoL, even as a Support, you can carry if you're genuinely good/better than the enemy, so even if you're paired with 4 mongoloids there's always a chance. In Hots, you literally have to pray for a divine miracle because you're not carrying anything if you're 4 levels down due to the friendly team being useless.
    Expansion Storylines ranking:

Legion > Cataclysm > MoP > BfA up to 8.2.5 > Wrath > TBC > WoD > Dragonflight > BfA 8.3 > Shadowlands

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think I still prefer DoTa 2 over LoL, but to be fair I haven't played either in years so I'm not exactly sure how either one of them evolved since then. All I remember is playing DoTa 2 like crazy prior to the release of Legion, and pretty much hard stopped playing the game when Legion came back out, never really getting back into it. With LoL I literally had to go back and look at the champion release schedule to date when the last time I played the game. I distinctly remember Hecarim (the horse champion) and looking at the list I know for sure that I played probably another several champion releases at best (I think the last I played was Jayce).

I use to play LoL a lot but I always hated the launcher, the rune system and the frequency at which they released champions. Hecarim to me when he was released was the first time they released a champion that sort of sucked, when everything prior to that was normally fucking busted for it's launch only to be brought down to earth before the next champion was released. On the flip side, DoTa 2 wasn't afraid to shift their meta routinely and the champion list was more or less static. The power shifts whether on purpose or not was sort of annoying because basically any older champions slowly became obsolete, as new champions were released with similar kits that were just flat out... better. This especially rung true of champions like Veigar who had zero interaction or a really bad interaction with champions that had a resource which wasn't mana (like that dude with the shield with the grey shield like energy bar, etc). Was pretty obvious at that state in time the goal of the game was to pump out as many fucking champions as possible (which I know, from people who still play it, isn't the case anymore).

Personally I always liked that DoTa 2 had a better aesthetic, the items were by and far way more interesting, and the "meta" in regards to positions on the map weren't as locked in. Basically every LoL game I played in that era that I played with (maybe it's changed, but looking at it, it doesn't look like it did) had locked in positions, whereas you could play a lot of characters in different lanes, jungle or urgency of gold (usually denoted by position, for example position like 1 is your hard carry, 2 is mid-lane, 3 is your off-lane, etc). The TLDR of the above is that while both games had positions, LoL stuck to them like 99% of the time, whereas it wasn't uncommon for DoTA 2 games to shift.

I touched on items but I always found items really boring in LoL compared to DoTa 2. It certainly wasn't ideal for you to try to make a physical attack carry out of something that normally isn't that role in DoTa 2, but with items you can kind of make everything work. Certainly wasn't a fan of creep stacking in DoTa because of the way WC3 systems worked, but I would say that it makes the experience of playing each individual lane a bit more impactful. Same can be said concerning denies, which I think adds a lot of depth as opposed to a Moba that doesn't have it all.

Sort of sucks because HoTS from a visual standpoint looked good, but Blizzard basically tried to design something they thought would have more mass appeal by stripping everything that people actually liked about the general Moba. The heroes themselves were fine, it was more or less that the game was way too short to have any real investment of feeling, all the while stripping the game of actual core Moba things (like last hitting, or items). The "easy to learn, hard to master" wasn't really true of HoTS and while there's certainly a big difference between good/bad players, the game was just way too fucking shallow.

Always DoTa 2 for me though. The games were longer, liked the look, meta shifted more and the items to me were far more interesting. The look of LoL even when it released and I played it pretty hard for 2-3 years always bugged the shit out of me.

Then again I was also the type of player who picked techies all the time with a pretty absurd win rate on him, so take from it what you will. DoTa for me was trying to get 90 minutes to 2 hour games of just pure hatred in chat from the opposing team. You can probably guess based on my love for techies what I liked to play in LoL.

Personally I'd never recommend either game to somebody who hasn't played them in some fashion. The rosters are way too big, the mechanics even if people argue that LoL is far more simple still take ages to learn everything. If you're willing to put the time investment in, sure, but for a lot of people it's literally getting your ass kicked for dozens upon dozens of games (or hundreds) until you figure out what the fuck you're suppose to do. For most, that probably isn't worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Askyl View Post
    Yeah, a game that was the top game on steam for years and is #1 or #2 depending on the month now is absolutely not popular at all. LoL is a casual game, marketed for kids and Riot spend way more money on their tournaments and marketing their tournaments dude, you obviously have no idea what you're talking about

LoL is more popular because it's a kids game for all ages, Dota 2 is quite hardcore and disencourage a large group of gamers. Still #1-2 game on steam with the best E-sport in the world.
    So you agree that Lol is more popular, good. Good
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

DOTA2 still functions closer to OG DOTA and initial LoL AFAIK, which I prefer. Meaning it has systems to support winning your lane, snowballing, and becoming a god that can 1v5.

LoL's continued hypocrisy in character design i.e. "Hurr Durr tanky DPS bad!" -> releases some of the most op innately tanky DPS in the game, insistence that builds be done a certain way "hurr durr no allowed to build memes like AP yi! Must build unique items that don't stack!", insistence that team fighting be the focus instead of duels into snowballing, general nerfs to gold acquisition, murdering of early game pressure via minion/turret changes, removal of runes in favor of mastery (because, once again, can't have you build for early game ass-whooping to avoid snowballing easily), etc.

LoL has gone too far off the deep end into a completely different MOBA experience than what I loved about the OG. Not to mention every new character's kit has like 100 effects and interactions that make them far out-class most of the OG characters, and the fact that riot refuses to do more balance passes.
    Last edited by BeepBoo; 2021-11-23 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    So you agree that Lol is more popular, good. Good
    Only an idiot wouldn't agree? But do you really think Teletubbies is a better TV show than Breaking Bad because more people have seen Teletubbies? Ofc not. In this case, LoL is Teletubbies compared to Dotas fantastic Breaking Bad.