Page 1 of 22
... LastLast

Blizzard don't ban boosting because THEY are the boosters...crazy

First Mike Ybarra gloats about raid boosting in retail, and now lead WoW Classic dev Brian Birmingham admits to doing GDKP runs with his guild and enjoying it.

We are all aware that Blizzard profits from boosting via wow tokens, but it genuinely never occurred to me that key figures in Blizzard were actually just...also boosters. I wonder if any of them engage in RMT on the sly?

(I can't post the source because I haven't posted much - but its in an interview posted on Wowhead.)

Why would anyone care about boosting, so long as it isn't for real money?

Yes, you can buy in-game gold for real money, and I agree that is a problem, but I believe it should be examined separately from what people may choose to do with that gold.

Quote Originally Posted by MKGulantik View Post
    First Mike Ybarra gloats about raid boosting in retail, and now lead WoW Classic dev Brian Birmingham admits to doing GDKP runs with his guild and enjoying it.

We are all aware that Blizzard profits from boosting via wow tokens, but it genuinely never occurred to me that key figures in Blizzard were actually just...also boosters. I wonder if any of them engage in RMT on the sly?

(I can't post the source because I haven't posted much - but its in an interview posted on Wowhead.)
    GDKP-runs are a godsend in Classic: People who need the loot get the loot and the rest get gold for their time. The alternative is to suck up to your GM.
    And furthermore neither boosting for gold, nor GDKP-runs are or have been against Blizzard's rules since the beginning of this game.

If it bothers you so much that Blizzard's employees play the game while following Blizzard's own rules then I'd suggest you'd find another game to play.

Quote Originally Posted by T-34 View Post
    GDKP-runs are a godsend in Classic: People who need the loot get the loot and the rest get gold for their time. The alternative is to suck up to your GM.
    And furthermore neither boosting for gold, nor GDKP-runs are or have been against Blizzard's rules since the beginning of this game.

If it bothers you so much that Blizzard's employees play the game while following Blizzard's own rules then I'd suggest you'd find another game to play.
    Retail boosting just encourages the purchasing of wow tokens - noone is buying boosts with gold they've earned lmao.
    Classic boosting just encourages RMT.

Both are bad for the game.

Retail boosting just encourages the purchasing of wow tokens - noone is buying boosts with gold they've earned lmao.

Got any solutions that don't involve outlawing boosting for gold?

gdkp isn't a problem if the publisher isn't the provider of the gold in exchange for real money. the botters are.
    having that said, the token still leads to gold transfers in classic, i.e. "my 100k retail for your 5k classic" kinda deals, which ARE a problem still based on the same garbage token.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Got any solutions that don't involve outlawing boosting for gold?
    In classic, do better about botters, multiboxers and the like. I have already seen and reported multiple multiboxers in season of mastery.

In retail, remove the WoW token or artificially deflate the price to bring it closer to a reasonable amount of gold someone could earn in-game. £17 for over 300k? For my job, which is a pretty modest job, that's barely 2 hours work. In-game, it would take me a hell of a lot longer to earn 300k. Of course I'd get the token instead. Reverse this dynamic.

Sure, you'd still have boosting, but at least all the kids running around with curve will have done SOMETHING to earn it rather than just swipe...

It doesn't need to be banned.
    The people paying other people to beat the content for them are the ones doing something wrong.

Boosting shouldn't exist period, because the people paying some one for that sort of thing are people robbing themselves of enjoyment they are paying real dollars for.

This is a result of a culture that continues to worry about min/maxing when there is no precedent to care made by the game whatsoever.

We need to fix this culture first and foremost, and if you do, boosting will go back to not existing.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Classic doesn’t even have tokens so blizzard doesn’t even stand to gain any thing from people boosting there. The idea that devs are RMTing is one of the sillier conspiracy theory’s.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

I literally buy boosts every expansion with money I make from AH. Argument wrecked.

In classic, do better about botters, multiboxers and the like. I have already seen and reported multiple multiboxers in season of mastery.

In retail, remove the WoW token or artificially deflate the price to bring it closer to a reasonable amount of gold someone could earn in-game. £17 for over 300k? For my job, which is a pretty modest job, that's barely 2 hours work. In-game, it would take me a hell of a lot longer to earn 300k. Of course I'd get the token instead. Reverse this dynamic.
    Token price is controlled by players, not Blizzard. The price of the token is directly proportional to the demand for it. And while I appreciate idealistic suggestions like, "remove botting from the game," I'm pretty sure we both know that's easier said than done.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hey There Guys its Metro View Post
    It doesn't need to be banned.
    The people paying other people to beat the content for them are the ones doing something wrong.

Boosting shouldn't exist period, because the people paying some one for that sort of thing are people robbing themselves of enjoyment they are paying real dollars for.

This is a result of a culture that continues to worry about min/maxing when there is no precedent to care made by the game whatsoever.

We need to fix this culture first and foremost, and if you do, boosting will go back to not existing.
    Let's say boosting is banned.

Suddenly your guild gets a new recruit. Grey parsing, dies to everything. Leaves the guild after he obviously fails his trial. Still got a few upgrades from the raid though. Oh, and there's 250k in the guild bank that wasn't there before. Strange.

10+ Year Old Account
    Developers and boosters are in it together. This has been the problem with the game for a long time. Now we see the developers and boosters are one and the same. No wonder the game has sunk so low.

I think needs to be said that GDKP runs can very much vary in terms of "legitimacy".

You had a dadguild setting up a BWL GDKP run where everybody just spends a few hundred gold on items and maybe a few thousand on something valueable, and then you had Naxx GDKP where people specifically looked for buyers who just casually drop 50k in a single run.

Also, because of how GDKP works, a lot more people can participate, it's not like Retail where by participating you are
    (1) Boostie
    (2) Booster

You could acquire lots of gold just by joining GDKP runs and then one day cashout when a big item drops, without ever buying gold.

Sure, if it was bannable people would still do it and most would get away with it. But just the fact of it being against the rules would dissuade many guilds from taking the risk.

That said, I'm against banning it. Boosting is fine, so long as it's for gold. The problem is actually selling tokens for real money. That's what we should have long threads complaining about. That's the root of the P2W evil here.

Sure, you'd still have boosting, but at least all the kids running around with curve will have done SOMETHING to earn it rather than just swipe...
    Blizzard doesn't control how much tokens go for. Tokens are selling for 300k gold because players with 300k gold are happy to buy tokens.

The problem you're specifically encountering (I'm assuming you're EU), is that in places like Russia, 300k gold for £17 is an amazing deal so it's more viable (in terms of £/time) for them to go farm 300k than have a regular job.
    Last edited by User517849; 2021-11-22 at 07:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm probably stepping into false equivalency territory here, but a person gets punished if they pay someone to do their (home) work or exams for them.

Quote Originally Posted by User517849 View Post
    Blizzard doesn't control how much tokens go for.
    Token price is controlled by players, not Blizzard.
    I am aware of this, but I'm saying they SHOULD control it and lower it because the majority of players are not using AH funds or whatever - they're not earning gold at all - they're just swiping.

I would love to see the numbers in an ideal world, but I'd pull a number out of my ass and happily bet my home on a good 80%+ or more boosts being bought with tokens rather than gold earned in-game.

Token price is controlled by players, not Blizzard. The price of the token is directly proportional to the demand for it. And while I appreciate idealistic suggestions like, "remove botting from the game," I'm pretty sure we both know that's easier said than done.

- - - Updated - - -

Let's say boosting is banned.

Suddenly your guild gets a new recruit. Grey parsing, dies to everything. Leaves the guild after he obviously fails his trial. Still got a few upgrades from the raid though. Oh, and there's 250k in the guild bank that wasn't there before. Strange.
    Yeah, the language would just shift from boosting in game to something else. Like here's my 250k gold application fee to join your guild because I don't meet the minimum requirements.

- - - Updated - - -

I am aware of this, but I'm saying they SHOULD control it and lower it because the majority of players are not using AH funds or whatever - they're not earning gold at all - they're just swiping.

I would love to see the numbers in an ideal world, but I'd pull a number out of my ass and happily bet my home on a good 80%+ or more boosts being bought with tokens rather than gold earned in-game.
    For every token bought with money another player willingly sacrifices an equivalent amount of gold. The gold is always earned by the player base, it is not created by the token.

For every person that swipes another person has to actually go out and earn that gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    That's what we should have long threads complaining about. That's the root of the P2W evil here.
    I suggested in LookingForGroup only a few days before I quit WoW that the game was p2w since the introduction of tokens. I was laughed out of the chat. They don't have a clue.

honestly kinda good they boost. only people who play the game a lot and are good at it can do that.

and it beats them buying tokens or using GM powers to give themselves gold or some such.

i'm no fan of boosting but if they are the actual boosters it's by far the best outcome.