Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJuice View Post
    Can you give us the reasons people buy boosts in 2021, and what people were buying in 2012? I can count 3 reasons for advertisments in SL - Raiding, PvP, and M+ dungeons. Off the top of my head, from what I remember in cata/mop boosting was for leveling, Raiding, and PvP. Thats an even 3 by my count but maybe I missed something. You said far more reasons though, I'd like to hear what the other reasons for boosting are.
    • M+ for loot
    • M+ for the mount
    • M+ for number of dungeons in your weekly box
    • M+ for 10s rating
    • M+ for 15s rating
    • M+ for 18s rating
    • M+ for 20s rating
    • Raiding for N,H,M loot lockouts
    • Raiding for items in the GV

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Literally every online game you've ever played has boosting of some sort. Either within the rules or outside of them. Boosting isn't going anywhere.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    • M+ for loot
    • M+ for the mount
    • M+ for number of dungeons in your weekly box
    • M+ for 10s rating
    • M+ for 15s rating
    • M+ for 18s rating
    • M+ for 20s rating
    • Raiding for N,H,M loot lockouts
    • Raiding for items in the GV
    Ok so M+ and Raiding, which is what I already said. Ironic, considering:
    You're just being weirdly semantic.

The boosting community Discords are free to join if you want to see what they are actually selling. The major difference between now and even a few years ago is the professionalization and scope of sales, not the fact that they exist. It makes them much easier and more consumer-friendly - it's the difference between having to drive two towns over to talk to get your hands on [illicit item] rather than just pulling up to CVS.
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

Ok so M+ and Raiding, which is what I already said. Ironic, considering:
    I don't know what kind of gotcha game you think you're playing here but this ain't it.

The only thing I don't get is why do you care?

So what if someone paid gold to get a boost through a raid, so what if they spent money to get that gold. How does this effect you at all?

The idea that it encourages RMT, EVERYTHING encourages RMT. The existance of the game encourages RMT. I don't see people saying they should remove BoEs, remove crafting, remove mounts etc. because it encourages RMT this always just seems to be a fall back when people either haven't got or refuse to give an actual reason as to why they don't like a certain thing.

Boosting is a legitimate activity because a group of players use their skills to overcome difficult content and get paid for it. I'm not talking about those that boost and recieve money in real life for it, but only gold. Yes, you can acquire gold directly from Blizzard thanks to the WoW token. I boosted hundreds of keys since they became a thing in Legion and it allowed me and a few of my friends to make gold extremely easy. It was most profitable in Legion, which is when I did the most of the boosting. Everyone was swimming in gold. I bought the Mighty Caravan Brutosaur with this gold and much, much more. Someone plays the auction house, someone farms BoEs in new raids and someone uses their skills in instanced content to make gold.

While I'm no longer doing it, it is extremely stupid to go after Mike Ybarra for boosting because it is part of the game and a great way for players who love to do M+ and raiding to make gold. As long as the boosting isn't done directly for real life money, it is completely fine.

I've also discussed the WoW token in another thread and how Blizzard imo artificially manipulates its worth in gold in order to keep it attractive, but that's another story.
    Last edited by Magnagarde; 2021-11-22 at 09:59 PM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Can you show me where Mike specifically gloated about boosting in general? All I see is him advertising what he was doing in WoW on twitch weeks back, which is what the guild he plays with casually was doing at the time. If I missed other discussions, that's on me, but that's all I can really find and if that's all you're really referencing it's sort of a bad argument.

I don't like GDKP at all, but GDKP isn't really 'boosting'. It incentivizes people with really good gear to show up who don't need anything, all the while getting people in the middle or lower end. These rarely have people actually AFK and are far more prone to the Classic community currently because gear generally lasts a bit longer than it does on live.

I think people make pretty bad faith arguments in regards to boosting as a whole. I remember boosts happening back in 2005 and they only got more prevalent as the game went on. There was an explosion in GDKP runs when WoTLK came out (especially during ToGC/WoTLK), which is often cited by many of these forums as the golden times of WoW. The amount of boosts or item sales only ramped up from there, and if you think that WoW token released near the end of WoD was the biggest factor... well you probably didn't pay much attention to trade/general chat during those times and are willfully ignoring any criticism. All of MoP and most of WoD was FILLED with people wanting to buy CM boosts, and Garrosh Heirlooms were sold forever. Before that it still wasn't uncommon for people to buy boosts for raid mounts in Cataclysm or trinkets from DS.

At the end of the day could Blizzard do a way better job? Yeah of course. Is boosting ever going to go away? Nope, and it's always existed. It's a game like every other MMO that values time and some people are just okay with spending game currency (or RL money) to by-pass the time requirement. I wouldn't do it because it feels shallow, but plenty of people probably don't give a shit about this aspect and will absolutely pay to skip the line or get that achievement. If the token were gone the levels of boosting would still be at MoP/WoD levels, which were just as 'bad' as they were now, even if you had your fingers covering your eyes believing it was never like that.

Gaming as a whole has shifted in this direction and while there are certainly things developers can do to curb this, this type of shit isn't going to go away because it's what the community wants. I mean a girl during TBC sold her fucking body for epic flying.

I don't know what kind of gotcha game you think you're playing here but this ain't it.
    Lmao just ignore that Orangejuice guy, he's f*cking insufferable and his posts are so dumb. Most of his posts are him thinking he's being clever while bashing Blizz. Been drinking too much of that anti blizz/wow kool-aid on the internet instead of doing something productive with his life, guy thinks he's making a huge statement by crusading against Blizz. He and a few others here sound like those crazy Q anon followers, it's hilarious to watch
    Last edited by Kageaki; 2021-11-22 at 10:12 PM.

I dont care about boosting at all, only thing that is annoying as fck is the spam in chat and lfg tools.

Is asking someone to provide proof considered a game to you? Thats all I've been doing. If so, then how do you explain this:
    I'd love to see a quote from somebody on the current dev team saying that they think player housing should be in the game. Enlighten me.
    You said this just a couple hours ago which is literally just asking someone to provide you proof.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MKGulantik View Post
    First Mike Ybarra gloats about raid boosting in retail, and now lead WoW Classic dev Brian Birmingham admits to doing GDKP runs with his guild and enjoying it.

We are all aware that Blizzard profits from boosting via wow tokens, but it genuinely never occurred to me that key figures in Blizzard were actually just...also boosters. I wonder if any of them engage in RMT on the sly?

(I can't post the source because I haven't posted much - but its in an interview posted on Wowhead.)
    At this point, who cares? Seriously. Silly thing to post a complaint about.

Is asking someone to provide proof considered a game to you? Thats all I've been doing. If so, then how do you explain this:

You said this just a couple hours ago which is literally just asking someone to provide you proof.
    Dude, I'm literally saying a couple million is a smaller number than hundreds of millions. There's no need to dissect a QR to substantiate this statement.

Ok so your source of information is some guy online. Mine is from Blizzards official earnings report. Where did you get your information that showed their monthly subscription revenue is in the hundreds of millions? My source, which again is an official legal report of earnings, shows their subscription revenue in the 10s of millions per quarter. Even a hundred million in sub revenue would mean almost 7million subscribers, but hundreds would put them over their peak of 10m. Its pretty hard to believe your numbers.
    I'll ask you one more time to be so kindly to quote and link from the report where the revenue from WoW subscriptions is specified?

What I can find where WoW specifically is mentioned in the Q3 report:
    "World of Warcraft® reach and engagement continues to benefit from the combination of the Modern game
    and Classic under a single subscription. World of Warcraft is on track to deliver its strongest engagement
    and net bookings outside of a Modern expansion year in a decade. "

https://investor.activision.com/stat...7-c18ebdb6b0e7
    Page 3 at the bottom

Apart from that Activision Blizzard does it usual report for Activision, King and Blizzard, but nowhere there is it specified how much revenue each game makes.

Dude, I'm literally saying a couple million is a smaller number than hundreds of millions. There's no need to dissect a QR to substantiate this statement.
    Theres no need to get aggressive, we're just having a discussion. You accused me of playing games so I asked for clarification what game can be played. To be fair, you didn't even answer my question but I'm willing to move on anyways despite the fact I'm being attacked by other people in this thread now.

What does a couple million and hundreds of millions have to do with anything, and what are those numbers referring to? I said Blizzard makes 10s of millions per quarter in subscription revenue and you claimed they made hundreds of millions per month, although you did later clarify you meant per year (I still don't know where you got that number from though). I never accused you of not knowing the difference between a couple and hundreds of millions, so I'm unsure why you feel the need to set the record straight with me on that point.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's nothing crazy about boosting. It's within the rules as long as its done with gold. Apart from that it's a private transaction between a guild/group/player and another player. How the player gets the gold is his/her business. There's no point playing whack-a-mole with it. Ban it one way it will just start up another way. A couple of different methods have already been suggested.

This is a non-issue which I think everyone knows is perfectly within the TOS. Bitching just to be bitching is pointless.

I don't much like boosting and have never participated in it on either side of the transaction but just because I don't like it means that Blizzard should change their TOS.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Boosting rewards people who actually play the game. There are no downsides while it allows people to pay their subs with in-game gold.

Am I going to be benched from a mythic raiding guild because of someone who bought CE the first month? Or replaced on my arena/m+ team from someone who bought high keys runs?

Competitive players don't care about someone getting boosted to AOTC or even CE. They care about improving their guild ranking, parses, arena rank, and m+ rank.

The P2W argument is silly. Just another way to pile on the irrational hate. P2W is paying for an advantage that non-payers can't reasonably obtain. Like having golden ammo which deals more damage
    Last edited by Antipode; 2021-11-22 at 10:39 PM.

In classic, do better about botters, multiboxers and the like. I have already seen and reported multiple multiboxers in season of mastery.

In retail, remove the WoW token or artificially deflate the price to bring it closer to a reasonable amount of gold someone could earn in-game. £17 for over 300k? For my job, which is a pretty modest job, that's barely 2 hours work. In-game, it would take me a hell of a lot longer to earn 300k. Of course I'd get the token instead. Reverse this dynamic.

Sure, you'd still have boosting, but at least all the kids running around with curve will have done SOMETHING to earn it rather than just swipe...
    How does that have anything to do with people buying boosts or GDKPs?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    I'm probably stepping into false equivalency territory here, but a person gets punished if they pay someone to do their (home) work or exams for them.
    Okay? And that's real life not a fucking video game

- - - Updated - - -

Fanboys gonna fanboy. Never change, MMO-C.
    Nice. Bitch and whine but offer 0 viable solutions. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    There's nothing crazy about boosting. It's within the rules as long as its done with gold. Apart from that it's a private transaction between a guild/group/player and another player. How the player gets the gold is his/her business. There's no point playing whack-a-mole with it. Ban it one way it will just start up another way. A couple of different methods have already been suggested.

This is a non-issue which I think everyone knows is perfectly within the TOS. Bitching just to be bitching is pointless.

I don't much like boosting and have never participated in it on either side of the transaction but just because I don't like it means that Blizzard should change their TOS.
    This is an interesting opinion to have. Why do you feel its more important to speak up against people who are against boosting, but you're accepting and silent against boosting, even though you admit you don't like it? What is present in this discussion and absent within the game, that sparks your outrage against people's vocal opinion (that you share) on the topic?

10+ Year Old Account
    Daily burner Blizzard conspiracy thread.