Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick Tells Colleagues He Would Consider Leaving

The Wall Street Journal reported that "Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick Tells Colleagues He Would Consider Leaving if He Can’t Quickly Fix Problems"

https://www.wsj.com/articles/activis...ms-11637533064

The Purge continues but will it make Blizzard better?

Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    The Wall Street Journal reported that "Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick Tells Colleagues He Would Consider Leaving if He Can’t Quickly Fix Problems"

https://www.wsj.com/articles/activis...ms-11637533064

The Purge continues but will it make Blizzard better?
    I won't claim that Kotick was the beginning of Blizzard's woes but boyyyyy did he exacerbate them. I'd love for him to fuck right off.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    I won't claim that Kotick was the beginning of Blizzard's woes but boyyyyy did he exacerbate them. I'd love for him to fuck right off.
    I agree, he is just another finance sociopath in my opinion and while I doubt anything can save Blizz because they have lost so much talent, his exit in infamy is fitting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Announce he is leaving, see how the market reacts,???, profit.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Announce he is leaving, see how the market reacts,???, profit.
    *furiously types "Ameritrade" into Google*

15+ Year Old Account
    Way back in Cata, when the game began to see a decline in quality and a push towards profitability, micro sales, and pushing cash shop, many blamed Activision's take over for this. However, many current Blizzard employees would openly state that Bobby Kotick and Activision have had no impact on Blizzard's publishing. That they have always remained free from Activision's Influence.

However, many content creators and other personalities have interviewed former employees and top developers who were there through old Blizzard and new ATVI Blizzard. They all basically said that Activision began issuing the marching orders for how Blizzard was to make the game and set up monetization methods within the game. They imposed ridiculous deadlines and even the "frat boy" culture of ATVI seeped into Blizzard offices.

I do not think Activision or Kotick is the entire problem, but they are a big part of it. Can Blizzard turn this dumpster fire around? Not so long as people keep throwing money at them willingly, but with recent events hurting ATVI stock and earnings severely, it seems they may be forced into action. Time to sink or swim.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

7+ Year Old Account
    I never understood the hate for this guy. I want Blizz-Activision to rake in massive amounts of money. Money is motivation, motivation is good.

D2R was pretty good so hopefully next they'll be motivated to make a D1 remaster. People were complaining about the cost of D2R but it's like price is irrelevant for a good game or a classic.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    even the "frat boy" culture of ATVI seeped into Blizzard offices.
    this is a ridiculous notion given how many of the pre merger employee's have been named as abusers or supporters you don't just turn around at 30 and say "gee boy harrasing woman sure looks cool those activsion guys are doing it all the time!"
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

I did say he'd be gone by the end of the year...

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never understood the hate for this guy. I want Blizz-Activision to rake in massive amounts of money. Money is motivation, motivation is good.

D2R was pretty good so hopefully next they'll be motivated to make a D1 remaster. People were complaining about the cost of D2R but it's like price is irrelevant for a good game or a classic.
    And what has that increased money got you exactly? In terms of content / innovation?

Or did investors just make all that money instead and game quality has gone down and it honestly seems like they struggle to even make games anymore with D4 getting delay after delay and how many changes in director?. WoW shadowlands having bugger all new content and they've already moved onto making another expansion to sell at top dollar.

Yay?

15+ Year Old Account

Money in video games has never in itself led to quality. If you want to see what an excess of riches and no fear of competition/losing subs does to a franchise, look at Madden.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do we really need another "Blizzard bad" thread?

How many seconds would he consider before deciding on not going anywhere? 2? 5?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

And having goals like this is basically a cardinal sin in business. Saying "make lots of money" is dangerously vague.

An example of this is South Africa Airlines(like 90% sure it was them).

They were told to maximise their return on investment which is a $$$ based goal. So they sold most of their fleet of aircraft and leased them back. Massive ROI. Disastrous policy.

Money is very abstract and having goals like this can betray your core mission. Actually this is exactly how I would describe the games industry right now.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    And what has that increased money got you exactly? In terms of content / innovation?

Or did investors just make all that money instead and game quality has gone down and it honestly seems like they struggle to even make games anymore with D4 getting delay after delay and how many changes in director?. WoW shadowlands having bugger all new content and they've already moved onto making another expansion to sell at top dollar.

Yay?
    Money good. Harrasment/sexual abuse cases don't matter against Kotick because he makes $ and PC2 loves that. He just likes watching numbers go up.

7+ Year Old Account
    How about he just leaves, like right now.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

5+ Year Old Account
    This can be continued in the main thread, as it's directly relevant.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."