Page 1 of 21
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

FFXIV wins best community and best still playing at golden joystick awards

https://www.gamesradar.com/final-fan...playing-award/

Going up against the likes of fortnight, apex legends, call of duty, and destiny 2, FFXIV snatches a win for best "still playing" game.

And to top it off...

https://www.gamesradar.com/final-fan...k-awards-2021/

FFXIV also wins best community.

Even if you disagree with the results, there is no doubt that FFXIV is in an explosive period of growth, and its community is often lauded as one of the most positive and welcoming there is.

Congrats to the FFXIV team, and forge ahead, warriors of light.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

To be quite fair, FFFXIV has Blizzard and their incompetency to thank. More power to them though, they've been making the right steps so far - let's see how Endwalker kicks off.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    FFXIV also wins best community.

Even if you disagree with the results, there is no doubt that FFXIV is in an explosive period of growth, and its community is often lauded as one of the most positive and welcoming there is.

Congrats to the FFXIV team, and forge ahead, warriors of light.
    I play mostly WoW, I have played quite a bit of FFXIV and they deserve this. The community is definitely a hell of a lot more welcoming than the vast majority of of the WoW crowd I've experienced in the last 17 years. Random people actually try and help you if you don't know how to do something, versus people foaming at the mouth in WoW and calling you names.

They are a community of back stabbing snitches it isn't that nice once you get to know them.

I still can't believe how the game is 8 years old and its still getting snubbed for the music category.

I don't pay much attention to such awards, personally. FFXIV's community is a very mixed bag. It pretends to be nice on the surface, but dig beneath that and it's a sea of passive aggressive commentary, cult-like defence of the development team's every decision, death threats in response to people liking or disliking specific characters, creepy grooming, an excessive focus on erotic role-play and brothels (with underage participants, no less).

In the past week I've had someone tell a friend to go and kill themselves on Reddit for not liking Alphinaud and my partner and I were accused of 'faking being gay' because we posted about not caring about representation being present everywhere, all the time.

The game itself is enjoyable enough. A large, vocal segment of the community, however, is utterly reprehensible. Far beyond anything I ever experienced in the supposedly much more toxic MMO's out there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    I still can't believe how the game is 8 years old and its still getting snubbed for the music category.
    Agreed with this. The game's strengths are in the strong narrative, world building, environmental design, raid/dungeon design and music.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I don't pay much attention to such awards, personally. FFXIV's community is a very mixed bag. It pretends to be nice on the surface, but dig beneath that and it's a sea of passive aggressive commentary, cult-like defence of the development team's every decision, death threats in response to people liking or disliking specific characters, creepy grooming, an excessive focus on erotic role-play and brothels (with underage participants, no less).

In the past week I've had someone tell a friend to go and kill themselves on Reddit for not liking Alphinaud and my partner and I were accused of 'faking being gay' because we posted about not caring about representation being present everywhere, all the time.

The game itself is enjoyable enough. A large, vocal segment of the community, however, is utterly reprehensible. Far beyond anything I ever experienced in the supposedly much more toxic MMO's out there.
    I absolutely in no way defend this kind of activity, but this sort of thing occurs in the shadow of EVERY SINGLE fandom that exists. It's no more prevalent in FFXIV than any other community. The vast majority of public interactions you have in the game will be positive. People are friendly to strangers, rather than enormously toxic.

Also, the great majority of these child grooming circles, extreme fandoms, TERFs, etc. exist largely among roleplaying communities of every single game I've ever played. Take that as you will. I'm also a roleplayer.

I have a huge circle of wonderful friends who are always positive and don't get passive aggressive behind closed doors, despite the accusations that that kind of thing happens. They've been enormously supportive of me and my mental health during rough times, and that's not an uncommon story to hear.

Among the communities listed among the nominees, there is no question that FFXIV has the best community among those games IN SPITE of the fact that some select human beings among the community are horrible people once you get to know them more. FFXIV is no more passive aggressive than Fortnight, D2, Apex Legends, etc. Those games are both openly aggressive AND passive aggressive towards other players in gallons of spades.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    To be quite fair, FFFXIV has Blizzard and their incompetency to thank. More power to them though, they've been making the right steps so far - let's see how Endwalker kicks off.
    Yeah no sorry, the game was already rising very quickly even before the mass WoW exodus.

Shirtless catboi community.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    FFXIV's community is a very mixed bag. It pretends to be nice on the surface, but dig beneath that and it's a sea of passive aggressive commentary, cult-like defence of the development team's every decision, death threats in response to people liking or disliking specific characters, creepy grooming, an excessive focus on erotic role-play and brothels (with underage participants, no less).
    The worst part of the community, in-game anyway, is the mentor channel. Little to no oversight on behavior, and the only barrier to entry is time spent.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Yeah the game's soundtrack is great.
    Last edited by Indigenously Abled; 2021-11-25 at 11:11 PM.
    Thanks for the ad-hominem; it supports your inability to support your argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    If you think this then you don't know anything about FF14.

It has been growing non-stop and it having a very solid expansion like Shadowbringers helped it greatly. It was growing in spades well before the issues with WoW/Blizzard.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Shirtless catboi community.
    What's wrong with that? ^..^
    Here is something to believe in!

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    If you think this then you don't know anything about FF14.

It has been growing non-stop and it having a very solid expansion like Shadowbringers helped it greatly. It was growing in spades well before the issues with WoW/Blizzard.
    oh please.. wake up. ff14 was a FAILURE of a Game. There is a Reason it has been redone. and its current success is all due to WoW Players leaving in masses looking for something new.

It now forced Blizzard to make WoW better again. Win win for everyone

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jkq View Post
    oh please.. wake up. ff14 was a FAILURE of a Game. There is a Reason it has been redone. and its current success is all due to WoW Players leaving in masses looking for something new.

Yeah, no.

You're objectively wrong. But keep being aggressively defensive.
    Here is something to believe in!

7+ Year Old Account
    Deserved award, but I still think Team Fortress 2 should win the "still playing" every year
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by jkq View Post

Factually, objectively, incorrect lol.

But whatever helps you sleep at night.

Is this the same awards that game Dark Souls Ultimate Game of All Time?

Quote Originally Posted by Drindorai View Post
    Factually, objectively, incorrect lol.

But whatever helps you sleep at night.
    Might want to take your own advice cultist.

This game was, and is niche. Why are you even arguing? You can literally not disprove this. You can literally see the massive rise and decline that coincides with a certain streamer starting and quitting the game. The game is just not good. Of all the bandwagoners, only the suicidally depressed one is still playing it.

The game couldnt even reach a million subs before this.

Also the FF14 community is utterly pathetic in every regard, both in and out of the game.
    ingame they're twofaced snakes in the grass, who are nice only because they're FORCED to be nice by the draconian CCP-like ToS, so they stoop to passive agressive snide bitch remarks, or creative griefing.
    Out of game, they make LoL players look politically correct, venting all the shit they wanted but couldnt say ingame.

but hey, i know there is no point in arguing with the zealot playerbase, who will even die on the hill that FF14 isnt a wow clone, despite the fucking lead dev blatantly admitting it is.
    Last edited by Troontown; 2021-11-25 at 11:36 PM.

These are the guys that gave DarkSouls ultimate game of all time award right? Given that award alone I would be inclined to believe that Fortnite has the better community and still playing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark One View Post
    What's wrong with that? ^..^
    of course i dont expect them to know what's wrong with it, since they're doing it