Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Chaotic Neutral, the extrajudicial vigilante mass murder of people who mostly deserve it is.. absolutely psychotic.

The PC varies from neutral good to stupid good, depending on what the plot says.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    They are not complete neutral because that would imply that they cannot be classified as Good.

Which is false, the Ren'dorei ARE good people. All they want is to protect Azeroth and Quel'Thalas and correct any injustice they see (like with the oppressed goblin). The worst things they've done is play with some bones and send a couple of robots into the Void.
    D&D Alignment chart is more of a descrpiption than a definition. No alignment stops them from having good intentions, altho the more evil they get the more concerned about number 1, in favor of everyone else they get.

That said Umbric knows damn well and understands why he was exiled from Quel'thalas, after finding Dark'khan's research. So calling it a senseless unjust oppressive regime is rather off brand, even for him. Not to mention that being anti establishment is a distinctly chaotic feature.

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    Absolutely depends on which quests you choose to complete. The Horde side of War of Thorns was Lawful Evil.

But Covenants are easy.

Night Fae = Chaotic Good.
    Kyrian = Lawful Good.
    Necrolords = Chaotic Evil.
    Venthyr: Lawful Evil.
    Yeah but the thing is, the Kyrian and Night Fae do shady stuff, which makes them not so good... and the Necrolords and Venthyr also do a lot of good, which doesn't neccesarily make them evil.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Absolutely depends on which quests you choose to complete. The Horde side of War of Thorns was Lawful Evil.

But Covenants are easy.

Kyrian = Lawful Good.
    Venthyr: Lawful Evil.
    Are they though? The Necrolords themselves are all about honor and strength and what not. Sure, they have a really rather wierd way of showing it, with poisons, abominations, necromancy etc. But unlike classic chaotic evil characters, they keep yammering on about comraderi, honor and such. Draka and the Primus are far from chaotic evil.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Chaotic Dumb.

How is this even in question.
    I'm down with this response.

The irony is that the player doesn't really have any agency in this regard, beyond maybe just not doing certain quests... but overall we don't have control over what we do when it comes to the narrative. At the very least, I think somewhere Neutral Evil or Chaotic Neutral depending upon the points in the story. Again, the problem is that we don't usually have a choice in how we decide, so we're just as likely to save someone as we are to kill/torture a person of any alignment for personal gain.

I see some people calling for True Neutral, but I really don't see that at all. The players tend towards way more chaotic and evil tendencies than a True Neutral, because we're either filling up our bags with severed heads to make a quick buck or making some severely immoral decisions at the expense of others. If we want to put the player's projection onto the character, I'd say that makes the case even more certain.
    Last edited by exochaft; 2021-11-25 at 07:41 AM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Are they though? The Necrolords themselves are all about honor and strength and what not. Sure, they have a really rather wierd way of showing it, with poisons, abominations, necromancy etc. But unlike classic chaotic evil characters, they keep yammering on about comraderi, honor and such. Draka and the Primus are far from chaotic evil.
    Does any Necrolord *trust* another Necrolord to be honest and honorable? Seems to me that their entire hierarchy is built on might above all. Respect is given to the strong, and death is given to the weak. Their purpose is to protect the Shadowlands, and filling their ranks with honorable weaklings would be counter to that end.

Chaotic Neutral, the players just run around murder-hoboing whatever gives the best loot without any regard for anything else, having the average attention span of a caffeinated spider is a factor in it, too...

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Does any Necrolord *trust* another Necrolord to be honest and honorable? Seems to me that their entire hierarchy is built on might above all. Respect is given to the strong, and death is given to the weak. Their purpose is to protect the Shadowlands, and filling their ranks with honorable weaklings would be counter to that end.
    Prior to the expansion, it did indeed seem that way. Hell, part of the Maldraxxus storyline is the betrayal of Vyraz, which clearly shocked everyone. However, this again just proves how odd the Necrlords were and are. They were supposed to be pseudo good guys, protectors and what not. And yet they all came off as cackling necromancers and nutjob alchemists. Bleh...!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellvis View Post
    What D&D type of alignment is the player in the lore and in the game ?
    Hard NE. Everything has a price, literally nothing is beneath us in our search for power and coin. The only reason we never sided with the old gods is because cost/benefit analysis is weighted heavily against world-threatening evil powers offering to buy our arm. History shows these forces loose and so are not worth our time to help.
    Go drown 10 kittens for a dash of AP? The player wont even stop to notice what's being asked
    Wrath baby and proud of it

Chaotic Dumb.

Freaking this.

"We need you to stop the spell channelling through Gul'dan, who is trapped and helpless."

Do we kill the genocidal monster? Nah, we just free him and let him go unchallenged. I was so fucking insulted by that quest.

I believe we are chaotic neutral .. think about it, we do so much harm than good for our selfish reasons but for bigger good cause sometimes.

does the player even have the choice to have an alignment?

i mean if the quest says kill 10 orphans all there really is for the player to do is to accept or not.

the player will of course accept. be it for story progression, the reward or for completionists sake.

True Neutral (we are neutral about everything)
    Lawful Neutral (we follow orders, but are neutral about everything)
    Chaotic Neutral (we take any job as long as it pays)
    Chaotic Evil (we do things for fun & giggles)

For Shadowlands / Covenant choices:
    Kyrian = Lawful Good.
    Venthyr = Lawful Evil.

Lawful neutral. Too stupidly obedient to be anything else really.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellvis View Post
    What D&D type of alignment is the player in the lore and in the game ?
    D&D alignments are very shitty, even WoW has more realistic morality in the sense that few human-like characters are inherently or purely categorisable as good, evil, lawful or chaotic.

I've obeyed stupid orders, done plenty of self serving actions, but i've also been the opposite as the stories demand.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Neutral evil. They don't question any quest given to them, often involving mass murder on a grand scale.

5+ Year Old Account
    I’m definitely lawful neutral when it comes to faction politics. Lawful good in general.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    D&D alignments are very shitty, even WoW has more realistic morality in the sense that few human-like characters are inherently or purely categorisable as good, evil, lawful or chaotic.

I've obeyed stupid orders, done plenty of self serving actions, but i've also been the opposite as the stories demand.
    Yeah, they barely made sense in the late 70's when Gygax and his buddy made them. Now a days? Pffft. Get outta here!

Chaotic Dumb.

/thread.

No, really, this is the perfect answer, given that we do quests for anyone with an orange "!" over their head, no matter how obviously evil they are.

*cough*VladdyDaddy*cough*