Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuujin View Post
    Actually, scratch that. You're talking about class divide. I'm talking about lowering financial burden on parents. My stance has never been removing class divide. It's always been it's better on the finances of the parents.
    And I would argue otherwise since uniforms often tend to be a vehicle for exploiting a captive market on the part of schools.

It is not a sufficient reason to justify the restriction on self-expression as well as the cultural indoctrination that uniforms serve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuujin View Post

And I actually can't imagine it is that cheap either. You'd need to take into account things like afterschool clothes, replacing clothes, replacing uniforms, buying clothes throughout the year, etc, to really get a good view of whether or not it actually works. You can't just say that 4-5 uniforms cost $150 bucks and parents pay $500 dollars a year on clothes, without really getting into the details of what that entails.
    Also, just to add on to that, while it might possibly save money in the long run (again, I'm skeptical of that).... the up-front cost is often more expensive. You can't just buy stuff ad hoc. The kids need at least one full uniform (probably several) on day one. That can be tougher for families living paycheck to paycheck.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Also, just to add on to that, while it might possibly save money in the long run (again, I'm skeptical of that).... the up-front cost is often more expensive. You can't just buy stuff ad hoc. The kids need at least one full uniform (probably several) on day one. That can be tougher for families living paycheck to paycheck.
    That's a good point too. It isn't like you can wait around for school uniforms to go on sale where as parents who may be stretched for money might have better opportunities for purchasing less expensive clothes. Yeah, I can see why this could be much harder on poorer families, especially if they have multiple school aged kids.
    Last edited by Yuujin; 2021-11-27 at 08:32 AM.

I grew up with no school uniforms, and I'm against them for reasons mentioned already - cost and repression. I was curious if there was any studies on this subject and there were some. Some argued and concluded that wearing school uniforms helped reduce bullying and increase school discipline, while other studies showed no effect or even negative effects (i.e. more bullying, less school discipline).
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Just like in Soviet Union circa 1965. Texas is now communist state?
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    People getting upset about hair length are violating the religious rights of some students. Respect the freedom of religion asshats.
    Most schools allow students and parents to submit religious exemptions. If not sue them and you are more than likely to win that lawsuit

- - - Updated - - -

School uniforms don't fix the issue of bullying. The poor kid will still b picked on for being poor. The fat kid will still be picked on for being fat.

- - - Updated - - -

And here I thought "respecting people's rights" were the kind of community values you'd want a school to be passing down to it's students.
    yaaawn

People's rights are respected. Yall are acting like prohibiting long hair as is (No religious reason provided) is a violation of their human rights
    Last edited by NED funded; 2021-11-27 at 05:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post

People's rights are respected. Yall are acting like prohibiting long hair as is (No religious reason provided) is a violation of their human rights
    Nah, they are just shitty conservative values that have no place in schools.

Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    yaaawn

Because it is. Freedom of expression is covered by the first amendment.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's a private school and private institution then I don't see a problem with it, I don't particularly care for the source of this BS code, I DO however support school uniforms and dress codes while in school. School is for learning it's not a fashion show.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Because it is. Freedom of expression is covered by the first amendment.
    umm, not in a school. Unless that school is a state run school, thus protecting you from the govt messing with your 1st.

Even then its murky since most public schools are not run by the govt, only funded by them.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    umm, not in a school. Unless that school is a state run school, thus protecting you from the govt messing with your 1st.

Even then its murky since most public schools are not run by the govt, only funded by them.
    Sure, there's room to weasel around it. But it's like having mandatory prayer in public schools. Now, they're stopping right before the line of making it a "christian values" thing...but I mean...we can all see it.

15+ Year Old Account
    If anyone thinks uniforms stop bullying, I've got a bridge to sell you.

If someone bullies you for your clothes one day, and then you both wear uniforms the next day, that bully is still going to bully you. Bullies latch onto targets in schools and harass them for whatever reason they can dream up. Bullying doesn't cease because of school uniforms.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    Nah, they are just shitty conservative values that have no place in schools.
    Why not?

I would rather schools be as apolitical as possible but barring that should they not encourage their student body to engage with multiple different values to test and compare the strengths and weaknesses of each?

Quote Originally Posted by Chipped coin View Post
    Why not?

I would rather schools be as apolitical as possible but barring that should they not encourage their student body to engage with multiple different values to test and compare the strengths and weaknesses of each?
    Not sure how banning long hair in male/non-binary students "engages with multiple different values".

Not sure how banning long hair in male/non-binary students "engages with multiple different values".
    Yeah it doesn't I kind of got lost in what I was trying to say. I meant I don't see an issue with a dress code then meant that second bit as a seperate point.

7+ Year Old Account
    There's always some authoritarians who don't want other people to have freedom, even in regards to their own body.

However suspending a kid for breaking a societal norm like this isn't nearly as bad as coercing kids into the classroom in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    There's always some authoritarians who don't want other people to have freedom, even in regards to their own body.

However suspending a kid for breaking a societal norm like this isn't nearly as bad as coercing kids into the classroom in the first place.
    Boys having short hair is in no way a "societal norm" in Western nations.

Look at every time period in history, boys and men, had long hair, even having braids, pony tails and man buns.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Look at every time period in history, boys and men, had long hair, even having braids, pony tails and man buns.
    Sure, I should have said a "norm" in my context or sub-region. Obviously it varies across regions and time.

I just do a buzz cut because it works with my head shape. What would I do with a pony tail? Brush it? I'd rather be doing anything else.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-11-30 at 05:28 AM.

Sure, I should have said a "norm" in my context or sub-region. Obviously it varies across regions and time.

I just do a buzz cut because it works with my head shape. What would I do with a pony tail? Brush it? I'd rather be doing something else.
    And that's fine. You choose to keep your hair cut short. Others like to grow it out.