Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    The TV series just started. What part of that are people not getting? This thread isn't about the books, it is about the series. Someone clicks on this thread to talk about this brand new fantasy series on Amazon and get bombarded with discussions of all kinds of aspects and plot details from the books that, whether they do end up happening in the series or not, have not happened in the Amazon series. The title of this thread is [TV] The Wheel of Time. No mention of books or any indication that there will be loads of untagged spoilers.

And no, it isn't like someone saying snape killed dumbledore today. It would be like someone yelling that to people waiting in line to see the Half Blood Prince movie in 2009 and then telling them to stop complaining since the book came out 4 years before. People are so god damn selfish these days. Nope, I cannot be bothered to type [ /spoiler], who cares if some other people may be spoiled. Doesn't effect me so who cares. Bunch of freaking children.
    I disagree, lets leave it at that and again there is a thread for spoiler free discussion, if people don't want spoilers they are free to go there.

I've never read the books, so I'm coming into this with zero expectations. Just finished the pilot episode and yowza, this is Defiance on SyFy quality stuff. If the rumours about the huge budget are true where did it all go? Certainly not the script because this is some of the worst dialogue I've heard in years (it doesn't help that the actors sound as if they're doing a first read through.)

Please tell me it gets better. : (

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Divada View Post
    I've never read the books, so I'm coming into this with zero expectations. Just finished the pilot episode and yowza, this is Defiance on SyFy quality stuff. If the rumours about the huge budget are true where did it all go? Certainly not the script because this is some of the worst dialogue I've heard in years (it doesn't help that the actors sound as if they're doing a first read through.)

First episode is for sure the weakest among them

Quote Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
    First episode is for sure the weakest among them
    I'll stick with it then! A lot of shows get better over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    I disagree, lets leave it at that and again there is a thread for spoiler free discussion, if people don't want spoilers they are free to go there.
    The rule has always been if you're discussing things from books that haven't happened in a TV series based on that book, it is considered a spoiler to be tagged. This thread has no specific Spoiler warning in the title, thus you have to abide by this rule. The non-spoiler thread isn't big enough to justify shifting all non-spoiler talk there, and two separate spoiler/non-spoiler threads have only existed for one show on this subforum - and this show is nowhere near that level (yet). And those books had also been out for years. I haven't read these books or seen this show so I can't enforce it too well, but it's common courtesy unless the thread is marked as a spoiler thread. If the non-spoiler thread can hold its own, this may become a spoiler thread - but until then, tag your spoilers. It's not hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    I think you may be overlooking the point that the "spoiler free" thread currently has 0 replies and will be knocked off the front page soon. But sure, again put it on other people cause who can be bothered am I right?

Anyone think they are going to cut Elayne from the story? How do you think they're going to manage Rand juggling three girls? To me the easy answer is to cut out Elayne, leave out the relationship with Min, and have him end up with Aviendha. Elayne and Egwene have enough similarities that I'm not sure they need both.

Quote Originally Posted by Divada View Post

It doesn't read the books or listen to the audio books if you want quality.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    The rule has always been if you're discussing things from books that haven't happened in a TV series based on that book, it is considered a spoiler to be tagged. This thread has no specific Spoiler warning in the title, thus you have to abide by this rule. The non-spoiler thread isn't big enough to justify shifting all non-spoiler talk there, and two separate spoiler/non-spoiler threads have only existed for one show on this subforum - and this show is nowhere near that level (yet). And those books had also been out for years. I haven't read these books or seen this show so I can't enforce it too well, but it's common courtesy unless the thread is marked as a spoiler thread. If the non-spoiler thread can hold its own, this may become a spoiler thread - but until then, tag your spoilers. It's not hard.
    It's annoying as hell to do on mobile the books have sold over 100 million copies. Again this is like crying about someone posting that Snape killed Dumbledore or that Vader is Luke's dad.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Coniferous View Post
    Anyone think they are going to cut Elayne from the story? How do you think they're going to manage Rand juggling three girls? To me the easy answer is to cut out Elayne, leave out the relationship with Min, and have him end up with Aviendha. Elayne and Egwene have enough similarities that I'm not sure they need both.
    She's already cast so doubtful although who knows what form she will take at this point seeing as they aren't doing the royal court this season apparently

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    It's annoying as hell to do on mobile the books have sold over 100 million copies. Again this is like crying about someone posting that Snape killed Dumbledore or that Vader is Luke's dad.
    A more relevant recent example would be the Dune movie, good thing there were already movies about it, so no one should be surprised that house Atreides gets its vengeance and takes over arrakis and starts a galaxy spanning war.

Quote Originally Posted by Coniferous View Post
    She has been casted already. And Rafe allready told us that 3girls harem will not be included to TV-show. My bet - Eleine will be with Avienda, and Min with Rand.
    I beleive that the one who will ber cut - its Elaida. Too similar to Liandrin for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancaris View Post
    She has been casted already. And Rafe allready told us that 3girls harem will not be included to TV-show. My bet - Eleine will be with Avienda, and Min with Rand.
    I beleive that the one who will ber cut - its Elaida. Too similar to Liandrin for that.
    Interesting idea...

Finding brackets and a / is difficult on mobile? All you need to do is encompass your spoilers in spoiler markup: [ spoiler]text[/ spoiler] without the spaces.

WoT is hardly on the same level as Harry Potter or Star Wars.

If you don't believe me...go out on the street and ask if people know who Luke Skywalker, Harry Potter, and Rand al'Thor are.

Guarantee you'll have more people recognize the first two names than the last. Even with the TV series out now. Although people will amost certainly recognize the "Thor" part... but not for the right reason.

And you're crying that it's inconvenient for you to use spoiler tags so people that just want to talk about the show without spoilers should get fucked.

It's a less than compelling argument.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2021-11-27 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancaris View Post
    cutting Elaida would mean cutting the whole white tower coup as she is the one who leads it and becomes amyrlin seat. And that would cause massive disruption to the plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    WoT is hardly on the same level as Harry Potter or Star Wars.

If you don't believe me...go out on the street and ask if people know who Luke Skywalker, Harry Potter, and Rand al'Thor are.

Guarantee you'll have more people recognize the first two names than the last. Even with the TV series out now. Although people will amost certainly recognize the "Thor" part... but not for the right reason.

And you're crying that it's inconvenient for you to use spoiler tags so people that just want to talk about the show without spoilers should get fucked.

It's a less than compelling argument.
    There is a non spoiler thread, you will just dismiss any spoilers as "dogma" anyway

- - - Updated - - -

Finding brackets and a / is difficult on mobile? All you need to do is encompass your spoilers in spoiler markup: [ spoiler]text[/ spoiler] without the spaces.
    remembering to do that every post yeah it's incredibly annoying

Y'all are typing 10,000 word essays in this thread, two more words with brackets shouldn't slow you down any. That it even registers on the scale for annoyances is something else.

There is a non spoiler thread, you will just dismiss any spoilers as "dogma" anyway
    I just don't think it's fair to say that every change made from the books is "bad" simply because it's a change from the books. I don't have a problem with people that can make an argument that's more involved than "it's not the same...therefore it is bad"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    I just don't think it's fair to say that every change made from the books is "bad" simply because it's a change from the books. I don't have a problem with people that can make an argument that's more involved than "it's not the same...therefore it is bad"
    Very few people have been saying it is bad just because it is different. So you certainly do have a problem even when people give reasons. The Dragon Reborn and the prophecies are core to the series. It isn't just dogma but one of the core pillars. There was no her. The Karaethon Cycle was gathered during the Time of Legends when the Dragon was alive or going mad. That is all out the window now.

When you change core elements of an established story it is a pretty big deal. Does it ultimately matter for the show? Not really because they can still create a good fantasy show. The thing is this is not just a generic fantasy story but it is supposed to be an adaptation. It also doesn't bode well for the future episodes and seasons if they are already changing core things.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Y'all are typing 10,000 word essays in this thread, two more words with brackets shouldn't slow you down any. That it even registers on the scale for annoyances is something else.
    Maybe some are I'm not and yes remembering to do it for every damn post for a series that has been out for decades is annoying as hell. Like I said we are mainly talking about stuff that is different from the book series so it wouldn't even be spoilers for the tv series since it's not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Very few people have been saying it is bad just because it is different. So you certainly do have a problem even when people give reasons. The Dragon Reborn and the prophecies are core to the series. It isn't just dogma but one of the core pillars. There was no her. The Karaethon Cycle was gathered during the Time of Legends when the Dragon was alive or going mad. That is all out the window now.

When you change core elements of an established story it is a pretty big deal. Does it ultimately matter for the show? Not really because they can still create a good fantasy show. The thing is this is not just a generic fantasy story but it is supposed to be an adaptation. It also doesn't bode well for the future episodes and seasons if they are already changing core things.
    No, very few people have given reasons that aren't "its bad because it's different"

Your whole post is "The prophecies are core to the series". You aren't saying what exactly makes the changes bad.... you're just pointing out that its different from the books and therefore bad.