Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I can say in my experience playing the FF14 since last March, I’ve only had a couple negative interactions and they weren’t even that bad.

I played WoW again a couple months ago and had 2 in the first hour playing that were both worse and this was pretty par for course from what I remembered.

I say that as someone who thinks FF14 is a solid, but overrated game with tons of dumb issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittahsmash View Post
    Honestly, the only time I've seen outright hostility and major toxic behavior is when it comes to hunts... people get so over protective of "their mob", that if you do something like attack the mob before they think it's time to start combat, they'll do everything they can to blacklist you from your data center's hunt discords, as well as getting people in their LS to block you so you can't join their PF's. My own personal example: I dared to have the unmitigated gall to post the location of an S rank to the hunt LS's I was in when it *literally* popped up in front of me, and somebody else in the zone took huge offense to that...claiming that "it was their mob because they worked on spawning it"...that started a huge shitshow for a few hours that really just made me not care about being helpful when it comes to hunts anymore. (Hello, Primal DC and specifically The Coeurl!)

Outside of that community (and maybe the pvp one, though that's such a minor group that the word 'minority' would be overstating its popularity) the people who play the game are perfectly fine, and loads better than the average person I come across in a few of the other MMOs I've played over the years.
    That's true. I've encountered reddit level stupidity several times in this game, the psycho politeness is counterproductive as fuck. People do tend to gang up on you like reddit downvotes if something doesn't fit their narrative. Your unfortunate situation is a great example of it.

Honestly, the only time I've seen outright hostility and major toxic behavior is when it comes to hunts... people get so over protective of "their mob", that if you do something like attack the mob before they think it's time to start combat,
    No they are not being protective of "their" mobs. Next time check chat, someone will /sh something like "2100 ET" which means, please don't attack until 2100 Eorzean Time so people have time to get there and get the rewards. You'll probably see a big group of people just waiting nearby not attacking because they are being patient and waiting for others. Same thing with Eureka FATES, someone will announce something like "2700" which means to attack when the encounter has 27 minutes remaining (most FATES have 30 minute durations so it's saying, you got 3 minutes to get here, which is usually enough time to get anywhere on the map in Eureka. Harder to get to FATES people might say 2600 or 2500 instead for example).

I find it so funny what you thought was "toxic" behaviour was literally people being polite and patient so others could join in.
    Last edited by Schmittay; 2021-11-28 at 05:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmittay View Post
    No they are not being protective of "their" mobs.
    Really? Well then I guess I'm imagining the conversation I had with the person in question, and that THIS SCREENSHOT is completely in my head! Good to know, thanks Dr. Nick!

Next time check chat, someone will /sh something like "2100 ET" which means, please don't attack until 2100 Eorzean Time so people have time to get there and get the rewards. You'll probably see a big group of people just waiting nearby not attacking because they are being patient and waiting for others. Same thing with Eureka FATES, someone will announce something like "2700" which means to attack when the encounter has 27 minutes remaining (most FATES have 30 minute durations so it's saying, you got 3 minutes to get here, which is usually enough time to get anywhere on the map in Eureka. Harder to get to FATES people might say 2600 or 2500 instead for example).

I find it so funny what you thought was "toxic" behaviour was literally people being polite and patient so others could join in.
    I'm so glad to know that, despite me having the centurio tiger mount for a few years and being close to the triceratops mount (despite taking a break from the game for several months to focus my time on a fansite for this game) that it really means that I'm some scrubby newb who has no idea how hunts or hunt trains work. Thanks for mansplaining it to another dude, bro! Would you like me to mansplain to you how many different ways you're coming across as being far more of an asshole than a lot of the hardcore WoW defenders in this thread?

Stop making assumptions about people you don't know anything about. I'm well aware of the common decency of waiting for people to get to a hunt mob. But if you're taking longer than 5 minutes to get there, you gotta know people are gonna be getting antsy and you can't be getting upset at them for attacking "your mob" before you give the go ahead when there are other spawns happening soon.
    Last edited by Kittahsmash; 2021-11-28 at 08:42 AM.

Really? Well then I guess I'm imagining the conversation I had with the person in question, and that THIS SCREENSHOT is completely in my head! Good to know, thanks Dr. Nick!

I'm so glad to know that, despite me having the centurio tiger mount for a few years and being close to the triceratops mount (despite taking a break from the game for several months to focus my time on a fansite for this game) that it really means that I'm some scrubby newb who has no idea how hunts or hunt trains work. Thanks for mansplaining it to another dude, bro! Would you like me to mansplain to you how many different ways you're coming across as being far more of an asshole than a lot of the hardcore WoW defenders in this thread?

Stop making assumptions about people you don't know anything about. I'm well aware of the common decency of waiting for people to get to a hunt mob. But if you're taking longer than 5 minutes to get there, you gotta know people are gonna be getting antsy and you can't be getting upset at them for attacking "your mob" before you give the go ahead when there are other spawns happening soon.
    Ok I made an honest mistake in not understanding the situation as fully as I should, but holy cow, your reaction dude! I wasn't trying to be condescending, I was thinking you didn't know of a certain etiquette and was trying to help you understand it (which wasn't the actual case I realise), and the fact it riled you up so much is is frankly....embarrassing. We're two adults, lets converse as such.

Also the guy went out and reached out to apologise to you, kudos to him for being the bigger man in that situation, the fact you hold on to it and even felt the need to screenshot it....well....cool, and I'll try my hardest not to make assumptions on your character for being the kind of person to do that, promise His problem is actually that he thinks you were using a 3rd party addon that scans the game memory for hunt spawns and broadcasts it to other Sonar users which considering FFXIV's policy on addons, is absolutely warranted. Not saying you were, but if you were, he had the right to be a bit miffed. Lots of controversy considering the effort required to spawn S ranks and people using Sonar to snipe them.
    Last edited by Schmittay; 2021-11-28 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmittay View Post
    Ok I made an honest mistake in not understanding the situation as fully as I should, but holy cow, your reaction dude! I wasn't trying to be condescending, I was thinking you didn't know of a certain etiquette and was trying to help you understand it (which wasn't the actual case I realise), and the fact it riled you up so much is is frankly....embarrassing. We're two adults, lets converse as such.

Also the guy went out and reached out to apologise to you, kudos to him for being the bigger man in that situation, the fact you hold on to it and even felt the need to screenshot it....well....cool. His problem is actually that he thinks you were using a 3rd party addon that scans the game memory for hunt spawns and broadcasts it to other Sonar users which considering FFXIV's policy on addons, is absolutely warranted. Not saying you were, but if you were, he had the right to be a bit miffed. Lots of controversy considering the effort required to spawn S ranks and people using Sonar to snipe them.
    I just love his proof of someone being mean to him in game is an apology. A non-backhanded apology too.

"Look how mean players are! This one apologized to me!!!"

15+ Year Old Account
    I mean, people who wonder why others get salty over reported S ranks fall into one of two categories. One is pure ignorance of the work put into spawning S ranks, which is why I assume the system was explained by Schmittay. Because from my perspective as well, it sounded like someone who either didn't know or didn't care. I often spawn S ranks, but I try to tell my friends on other servers first, then do the public broadcast. Problem with just broadcasting S ranks to the entire server is usually one of the first 5 assholes to arrive pulls the hunt. When this is SB, HW, or ARR S ranks, that means that if your friends have PS4 loading times, or equivalent, they often just won't make it.

But I've noticed a lot of players don't really care about waiting an extra 60 seconds so 50 more people can get credit. They just want to topple the S rank so they can go back to AFKing in Limsa.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    I still can't believe how the game is 8 years old and its still getting snubbed for the music category.
    it is personal taste? honestly i find the idea of music contest stupid, also some songs are universally shit (friday...) i love for example sound of silence others don't etc
    so FF win or lose won't mean anything to most ppl
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

I have no idea how you clowns get banned so much lmao. I vote kicked people even in the mentor roullette and never got warned, banned or even lost omnimentor privileges lmao. You guys must be raging and seething in chat like babies all the time or something.

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    I have no idea how you clowns get banned so much lmao. I vote kicked people even in the mentor roullette and never got warned, banned or even lost omnimentor privileges lmao. You guys must be raging and seething in chat like babies all the time or something.
    I've seen a mentor banned once. He was raging about Shadowlands in mentor chat even several people asked him to stop as they weren't interested in his banter. Obviously he didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    I mean, people who wonder why others get salty over reported S ranks fall into one of two categories. One is pure ignorance of the work put into spawning S ranks, which is why I assume the system was explained by Schmittay. Because from my perspective as well, it sounded like someone who either didn't know or didn't care. I often spawn S ranks, but I try to tell my friends on other servers first, then do the public broadcast. Problem with just broadcasting S ranks to the entire server is usually one of the first 5 assholes to arrive pulls the hunt. When this is SB, HW, or ARR S ranks, that means that if your friends have PS4 loading times, or equivalent, they often just won't make it.

But I've noticed a lot of players don't really care about waiting an extra 60 seconds so 50 more people can get credit. They just want to topple the S rank so they can go back to AFKing in Limsa.
    Largely depends on the time of day and the day of the week, imo. Some days there'll be an infamous player on my server (Johnny Football) who would pull things as soon as he shows up to them, other days he'll either not be there for the hunt or he'll wait until someone else pulls.

If an S rank literally spawns in front of your face, are you going to relink it to the different hunt linkshells you're in, or are you going to try to track down the person (or people) who were working on spawning it and ask for their permission to spread it's location around? Or if you see somebody else linking an S rank that they saw, are you going to try to track down the original spawner and make sure that the person you saw linking it asked permission for doing that before you ask for permission to repeat it? If you do anything besides just linking it, then that's wayyyyyyy too much effort over something that is open for anybody in the game to attack or talk about at any time they like. Because once an S rank spawns...it's fair game for anybody in that zone to link when they find the location. It's not against any rules for people to communicate about a mob that spawns. People don't "own" S ranks, regardless of the amount of work put into it. I used to work on spawning S's back in ARR because it was fun to try to figure out, but I never once thought of them as "mine"...and anybody who does needs to find something better to do with their time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    I've seen a mentor banned once. He was raging about Shadowlands in mentor chat even several people asked him to stop as they weren't interested in his banter. Obviously he didn't.
    I'm actually pretty surprised about this. The last time I paid attention to the mentor chat on my server (back in Stormblood) it was filled with all sorts of random stupid stuff and people had given up trying to do anything about policing it. It was literally worse than any Barrens chat I've ever seen in my life. So it's surprising to me that someone either reported the dude for not stopping, or that SE decided to step in and do something about it.

I'm actually pretty surprised about this. The last time I paid attention to the mentor chat on my server (back in Stormblood) it was filled with all sorts of random stupid stuff and people had given up trying to do anything about policing it. It was literally worse than any Barrens chat I've ever seen in my life. So it's surprising to me that someone either reported the dude for not stopping, or that SE decided to step in and do something about it.
    No idea who reported him or if it was SE themselves but he got removed from the chat. Mentor chat on my server is quite useful and in most cases people receive proper answer (from newbie like me pov). I'm playing on Odin server.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    No idea who reported him or if it was SE themselves but he got removed from the chat. Mentor chat on my server is quite useful and in most cases people receive proper answer (from newbie like me pov). I'm playing on Odin server.
    Wow, I'm glad that your mentor chat is actually useful! It's been a little while since I used it (like I said, Stormblood) so maybe the changes SE did to it to make it harder to get helped weed out some of the assholes who were just after the silly little crown.

Stop chiming in with your infantile observations when the adults are talking, kid.
    Aww did I hurt your poor precious feelings? Make sure to screenshot this post as well to prove how all FF players are big meanie heads.

Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    it is personal taste? honestly i find the idea of music contest stupid, also some songs are universally shit (friday...) i love for example sound of silence others don't etc
    so FF win or lose won't mean anything to most ppl
    Taste is always a thing sure but when i think of 2021 music releases this might not be my favourite track but To the Edge was written by a man fighting cancer alone in an isolation ward during the height of covid and i can't think of anything else i've played in 2021 that has the same level of production value wether its a song i personally like or not and thats just one track as an example.

I mean shit the amount of games fanboys excuse their failings because of "working during lockdown" how about the people that excel while locked down in the worst possible way?

You're still not quite understanding the entire situation, and I'd ask you to stop putting your $.02 in because you keep getting change back for an invalid transaction. That's not me being riled up, riled up would be throwing around capital letters and ranting a lot it. That's not a rant. It's pointing out how little you know and how much you're making assumptions based off of a small amount of info because I don't need other people giving their input on something that happened over a year ago, happened exactly the way that I said it did, and has their little mafia coalition still holding a grudge over me daring to announce "their" mob before they got a chance to. I REALLY don't need you mansplaining to me what they were thinking, because they told me exactly what in other parts of that convo that I'm not sharing. I didn't ask for an explanation, so you trying to be helpful and continually adding one in where none was requested is hugely coming across as that whole "fake nice" thing that people were ranting about earlier.

Here's the whole story from my perspective, so you can stop adding your input and trying to tell me what happened (and so any other people out there like Thestrawman can stop throwing the weight of their "wisdom" onto the doggypile of shit they don't know about.)
    Stop chiming in with your infantile observations when the adults are talking, kid.
    You're riled up. Calm down and try again. If I had a child I wouldn't even respond if they started talking to me like this, so I sure as hell won't when an adult does.

This is a forum, people giving their two cents is kind of par for the course.

Oh and I wasn't being "fake nice" like some people think people are in FFXIV. I think people are simply not used to politeness any more so they think any form of it, and the sheer amount I see in the game is somehow not real. It's frankly bizarre and sad.

Anyway, take care.
    Last edited by Schmittay; 2021-11-28 at 09:53 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Largely depends on the time of day and the day of the week, imo. Some days there'll be an infamous player on my server (Johnny Football) who would pull things as soon as he shows up to them, other days he'll either not be there for the hunt or he'll wait until someone else pulls.

If an S rank literally spawns in front of your face, are you going to relink it to the different hunt linkshells you're in, or are you going to try to track down the person (or people) who were working on spawning it and ask for their permission to spread it's location around? Or if you see somebody else linking an S rank that they saw, are you going to try to track down the original spawner and make sure that the person you saw linking it asked permission for doing that before you ask for permission to repeat it? If you do anything besides just linking it, then that's wayyyyyyy too much effort over something that is open for anybody in the game to attack or talk about at any time they like. Because once an S rank spawns...it's fair game for anybody in that zone to link when they find the location. It's not against any rules for people to communicate about a mob that spawns. People don't "own" S ranks, regardless of the amount of work put into it. I used to work on spawning S's back in ARR because it was fun to try to figure out, but I never once thought of them as "mine"...and anybody who does needs to find something better to do with their time.
    "Track down" the person who spawned it. You know, the person who spawned it is generally in the zone, so you can shout the location, correct? That is a feature after all.

Back when it was still possible to continuously reset ARR and HW S ranks, I would very very very often do it. We had certain players on our server who would do that instant pull crap, but at least back then, S ranks took a bit of time to kill. ARR S ranks still only took about 30-60 seconds, but HW ones weren't much more than that. People would pull them very early, if not instantly a lot of the time. I'd run over, grab aggro, and reset the boss. I'd state that there were people on their way to the hunt. I of course got reported multiple times for this, but a GM only ever contacted me once about it.

You see, it was a myth that resetting a hunt would get you banned. Well, not necessarily a myth. A long time ago, in ARR, there were people who would just infinitely reset hunts so that nobody could kill them. They'd do this just for shits and giggles, and it was obvious that they were resetting hunts just to fuck with people.

So as I would reset a hunt 4 or 5 times to let all the people gather, many of the butthurt people who would often pull instantly constantly threatened to report me, and did of course. Want to know what the GM said to me? Resetting hunts is not a bannable offense unless you are doing it explicitly to annoy people. Since my stated reason was always that I was allowing more people to come to the hunt, and thus more people get credit, what I was doing was perfectly fine as it actually aided people.

Anyway that was quite the tangent for a bit of history. But if anyone ever tells you that resetting a hunt is against the ToS, they're misinformed. It's intent than matters.

My main point is that most servers had hunt etiquette back in the day. Sure, there were no SE rules that said anything was owned by anyone. But if someone went through the trouble of spawning Leucrotta in Heavensward, you better believe they by rights had some claim to it. My server hunt community had two circles, those who ignored the hunt etiquette, and those who followed it. The former was much much larger than the latter, and the latter basically got blacklisted from most hunt linkshells and communities. There was literally no point to what the snipers and the early pullers were doing, and most even said they did what they did just because they loved seeing people get mad. That's what made it all the more sweet when they cried endlessly as I reset hunts they pulled instantly until people were there to get credit.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

No wonder it won, you are basically forced to erp and suck each other off or you get banned.

Best lesson I learned about FF is not to talk to any randos because people get offended over everything. It's basically twitter the video game.

Quote Originally Posted by Caerrona View Post
    No wonder it won, you are basically forced to erp and suck each other off or you get banned.

Best lesson I learned about FF is not to talk to any randos because people get offended over everything. It's basically twitter the video game.
    I'll take someone who has never played FF or been on Twitter for $5,000.

Taking bets on how many salty WoW players going to keep propping up this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Caerrona View Post

You know I've never been forced to erp or suck anyone off and I've been playing for nearing 8 years now and never been banned.

I've heard of people being banned for trying to force people to ERP though, you might have gotten things mixed up there friendo.