Page 1 of 2
LastLast

No nonsense 1080p monitor

Hello. I'm looking for a pretty good 1080p monitor.

I don't care about any fancy things, I literally just want a respectable 24" (I've read that 27" is pushing it for 1080p) monitor at 60hz. I don't get on well at all with IPS glow (I've returned so many IPS monitors because I'm so used to the look of an ancient TN monitor at this point) so if it could have as little IPS glow as possible that would be amazing.

Thank you for any help.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been struggling to find one as well that's under $160. I used to get 1080p 24" monitors falling off trees for like 90-100, and now they just like, dont exist at all. Everything is either 144hz 1440p gsync freesync blah blah blah. I just want to replace a damn 20" WSXGA thing from 2010
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I've been struggling to find one as well that's under $160. I used to get 1080p 24" monitors falling off trees for like 90-100, and now they just like, dont exist at all. Everything is either 144hz 1440p gsync freesync blah blah blah. I just want to replace a damn 20" WSXGA thing from 2010
    May I ask why you dont want a bigger monitor? like 27 or even 32?

Quote Originally Posted by tomten View Post
    Cos that’s an absurd size for a monitor lol

Quote Originally Posted by Snufflupagus View Post
    Play with a quality ultrawide monitor for a day and you will never want to go back.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    Play with a quality ultrawide monitor for a day and you will never want to go back.
    This exactly.
    Ever since getting my Samsung 34" S34E790C 3440x1440 ultra-wide, curvy boi, I cannot go back. It's such a pleasant experience. More screen real estate that also has a huge impact on photo-editing and properly plays most movies without black bars! Since, you know, the 21:9 ratio is the real movie ratio!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Have a 32 curved monitor, won't ever go below that size.

I dont think so, it feels and looks so at first but boy is it a nice change. I dont have the luxury of owning an ultrawide big boi but couple friend does and its just an amazing experience all around. And most people that have 24-27 monitors tend to have dual screen setup anyhow so not sure why you'd call it absurd size :P

I dont think so, it feels and looks so at first but boy is it a nice change. I dont have the luxury of owning an ultrawide big boi but couple friend does and its just an amazing experience all around. And most people that have 24-27 monitors tend to have dual screen setup anyhow so not sure why you'd call it absurd size :P
    I’m sure it’s nice, I briefly had a 27” iMac and yeah it was nice. It’s also absurd, the positions aren’t mutually exclusive. It’s like soccer moms driving giant SUVs because I NeEd sPaCe FoR mY kIDs. I’m sure the space is nice. It’s also ridiculous, wasteful, and indicative of wider societal problems. No one outside of niche use cases needs a road-legal Panzer tank to do the school run, or a monitor the size of a football field. But we do things cos they’re nice, not cos we need them.

I don’t know why the OP doesn’t want to go above 24” but that’s certainly why I don’t. 21” is big enough to view two effectively full-size pieces of paper side by side. Any bigger than that (in fact even that, arguably) is just unnecessary.

I’m sure it’s nice, I briefly had a 27” iMac and yeah it was nice. It’s also absurd, the positions aren’t mutually exclusive. It’s like soccer moms driving giant SUVs because I NeEd sPaCe FoR mY kIDs. I’m sure the space is nice. It’s also ridiculous, wasteful, and indicative of wider societal problems. No one outside of niche use cases needs a road-legal Panzer tank to do the school run, or a monitor the size of a football field. But we do things cos they’re nice, not cos we need them.

I don’t know why the OP doesn’t want to go above 24” but that’s certainly why I don’t. 21” is big enough to view two effectively full-size pieces of paper side by side. Any bigger than that (in fact even that, arguably) is just unnecessary.
    There's an actual break off point where, where you have to move your eyes and the size stops being beneficial in terms of field of vision etc.
    But that doesn't happen at 27 and not even regular 32. So it's not unnecessary and actually provides a gaming benefit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Find me a 27" 1440p for like $130 and I'm totally down to do that.

The entire point is that I don't want to spend much, and I -used- to be able to get a 24" 1080p for $100 bucks all day long two years ago, or eight years ago.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Get a 4K tv, at whatever size you want.

If you want to get something for $100 or less, have you considered the used market?

Personally; I don't have a TV or Alexa, or wife and kids, and I don't drive over 3000 miles in a year because I hate driving. I'm going to die alone and while I don't need an ultrawide monitor, I enjoy it and I'm just not going to feel bad about my one extra energy waste when other people are having kids that make 10 dirty diapers a day and fill landfills with those. Don't get me wrong, I think having kids is a wonderful way to mature and understand what is most important in life but it will probably never happen for me and I have made my peace with it. If you really want to go down this road though we can make an argument for having a computer at all for gaming and the energy you are wasting while people in other countries live with no electricity and are jealous of you having a computer and wasting it on something so trivial as playing a game.

- - - Updated - - -

The entire point is that I don't want to spend much, and I -used- to be able to get a 24" 1080p for $100 bucks all day long two years ago, or eight years ago.
    Between the Covid influenced supply chain problems and the out of control printing of money by the US, inflation is raging all over the place so getting something electronic that requires a lot of different parts holds a much higher risk of shortages.

Supply and demand plus Alzheimer's Joe Biden and we get an inflation rate that is the third worst in the world behind only Brazil and Turkeyhttps://fortune.com/2021/11/25/us-in...-supply-chain/.
    Last edited by khazmodan; 2021-11-28 at 09:45 AM.

Not only that, but that means you also need to run at higher resolutions which requires more GPU power.

Ohh, i missed that point, sorry. Thought you were against bigger monitors and was curious as to why

10+ Year Old Account
    Between the Covid influenced supply chain problems and the out of control printing of money by the US, inflation is raging all over the place so getting something electronic that requires a lot of different parts holds a much higher risk of shortages.
    But bigger/better monitors are still available for great prices for what they're worth. For some reason 24" and 1080p monitors just.. disappeared from the market.

"Wider societal problems"? Well, if that's true, the big honkin' computer it's connected to should be an even bigger issue. You certainly don't need that, generating all that heat and using all that electricity, and yet...
    Feel like you have a target on your back around here?

Knowing this place, you probably do.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    But bigger/better monitors are still available for great prices for what they're worth. For some reason 24" and 1080p monitors just.. disappeared from the market.
    It possibly has something to do with the fact that that's just very old technology now?

It's not like you can easily buy a 4:3 monitor anymore. Maybe it's time you guys finally moved forward.

27" 1440p has never been and will never be cheap. It was a truly niche resolution that TVs never used.

On the other hand? 4k. Readily available. Look for a 4k 27" and you'll find a gargantuan supply.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Prothall View Post
    "Wider societal problems"? Well, if that's true, the big honkin' computer it's connected to should be an even bigger issue. You certainly don't need that, generating all that heat and using all that electricity, and yet...
    Precisely this.

What we need is shelter, food, water, and that's about it. Whenever people bring up "need" oh boy do I get excited rofl they never think about their own waste. Oh, you think you're less guilty for wanting a 24" 1080p monitor? Nope. There's plenty of people who you could make a huge impact in their life by donating that $100 to a charity trying to provide clean water. You don't need a PC, monitor, any of this. Those people need drinking water, so shame on you for wanting a monitor at all. I don't give a shit if someone wants a 24" 1080p or 39" ultra wide, neither are necessary for life, so when people talk about "wider societal problems," they indeed are being immensely hypocritical.

Good on you for calling them out.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Well they didn't disappear. They're just priced such that you wouldn't want one. They're entered the niche phase, like the 1024x768 screen before them.

1440p 144Hz G/FreeSync 27" is probably going to be the new sweet spot for PCs, as long as 4K doesn't get there first.

Gaming ? stay away from 4k for now. Its just dumb