Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Steve Danuser and Bobby Kotick killed my server this fall

Not even 6 months ago. I play on WRA. The server population was perfectly balanced with Horde having a slight edge. It had about roughly a 20% less population than Moonguard counting both factions. 9.1 had dropped in June. Instead of the population rising? It fell. Stormwind had 50+ players on it even off peak hours, same with Orgrimmar, and Oribos. When 9.1 dropped, this dropped down to 40-35ish in Orgrimmar, still 50+ in Oribos, and 25-30 in Stormwind. 9.1.5 dropped a few months later. It continued to dip. Stormwind now has only 17 people during only Saturdays at peak time and around 4-10 people all other times. Orgrimmar sits at 17-20 people all other times and 28ish people at peak times. Oribos goes back and forth between 15-25 people.

While I had a good idea on why people quit I wanted to ask anyways. They blamed the story writing, the greed and grinds, their immersion in the game had gone, and they also left because the server was dying and thus no roleplay.

Right now Wyrmrest Accord is a dead server within less than 6 months. There's been a mass exodus to Moon Guard as the last bastion of RP servers in retail. I hope they can merge all of the RP servers into one huge server. Wyrmrest, Earthen Ring, Emerald Dream, and the rest with Moon Guard.

I have about 43 characters on Wyrmrest Accord about half are max or close to it and 7 on MoonGuard, none are maxed on Moon Guard. I don't plan to server transfer characters over because that would easily be in the thousands. It just amazes me how two ignorant people can cause so much havoc and damage to a community.

Roleplayers and people who play for the story make up most of your casual playerbase and that's most of everyone who pay to play your game. I just don't understand the logic behind them. We tell them their story is terrible and it gets worse. People threaten to quit and then they play victim on Twitter.

How is your server handling things right now?
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

I would like to blame the lunar phase and Netflix's failure to produce a sixth season of Black Mirror for the failure of my server, Area 52.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    7 years ago, during the 14 month long SoO content drought, you could fly to Orgrimmar and there would be hundreds of players standing around, and walk up RP happening everywhere. There were constant invites to events happening in /trade chat, and massive server wide events being organized on the server forums. We had war crimes trials for Horde players who served Garrosh hosted at the Mogu'Shan vaults and hundreds of Horde and Alliance players turned up. Massive RP-PvP battles over the Thandol Span. Etc. Nowadays, Horde RP on Moon Guard is pretty dead. /Trade chat is dead for hours. Alliance RP is a shell of its former self. PrettyNo huge server wide events anymore.

Hundreds of players used to populate this square 24/7. No longer.

- - - Updated - - -

There's been a mass exodus to Moon Guard as the last bastion of RP servers in retail.
    Really? From what people were telling me, they were flocking to WRA as the last bastion of RP.

- - - Updated - - -

While I had a good idea on why people quit I wanted to ask anyways. They blamed the story writing, the greed and grinds, their immersion in the game had gone, and they also left because the server was dying and thus no roleplay.
    People used to be really passionate about the WoW story. You had the Blades of Greymane and other guilds constantly hosting huge Gilneas resistance events. You had dozens of different Silvermoon organizations, Orcish clans, Tauren Tribes, Alliance militias and knighthoods, etc. But you can only keep RPing with the same setting for so many years. Every Silvermoon intrigue storyline has been done. Every Gilneas resistance storyline has been done (and after 11 years, Gilneas is still not liberated). Tauren haven't had a lore update since Sunwalkers were introduced in Cata; the Grimtotem storyline was forgotten entirely. RPers have exhausted all of the story material. Blizzard has failed to provide new, interesting story material. And Blizzard has shat on the audience's investment in pre-existing story material.

How did Ion dodge this accusation? The guy that actually makes most of the games decisions, not some shitty fanfiction writer or a women assaulting goblin.

Roleplayers and people who play for the story make up most of your casual playerbase and that's most of everyone who pay to play your game. I just don't understand the logic behind them. We tell them their story is terrible and it gets worse. People threaten to quit and then they play victim on Twitter.
    The story of the game isn't dictated by a writer who cares about the story and the lore. It's dictated by what the suits think will sell. WoD's premise was nonsense and there was no way War Crimes could fix that, and that's not Golden's fault. The current writers rejoice in destroying Warcraft's religious mythology. WoW's story is also now written by people who don't have edge, hence why you get ridiculous stuff like Alexstraza forgiving the Dragonmaw for repeatedly raping her and, enslaving and murdering her babies, or nations that practice capital punishment moralizing over how wrong it would be to execute Garrosh and how we should forgive them, or the latest stuff with Tyrande having to forgive Sylvanas for committing genocide. "Peace and healing!". The current state of WoW's story is unrecognizable to fans of WC3 and early WoW, hence why the RPers aren't invested in the story of modern WoW.

The current WoW story taking place in another dimension isn't a problem. RP was thriving even during WoD which took place in an AU in the past. It's just - again - nobody cares anymore.

Handling what? I haven't played with anyone on my server outside my guild in years.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

I love when WoW has an immersive storyline that I don't have to dig for but it is not the only thing that keeps people playing or text based games would still be popular. The management of WoW has failed on so many levels and that starts at the top with Bobby "nodick" Kotick and his shallow bottom line sociopathic selling strategy. He drove out talented people with his control creep and now it is obvious because of the peter principle mediocres that are left in control, and have Dunning-Kruger Effect in full swing because of the success while they were at the company, and believe they were the cause. At this point I don't think WoW can be saved and continuing to put time in this game is not only depressing but also anti social since people look at WoW as just another excessively grindy soulless mmo that takes more fun out of your day than adding to it.

Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    I love when WoW has an immersive storyline that I don't have to dig for but it is not the only thing that keeps people playing or text based games would still be popular.
    Long winded JRPGs like the Trails series or Final Fantasy and visual novels are popular. They just don't receive huge Halo level marketing budgets, and don't fit the tastes of the big dinosaur gaming journalist websites like IGN.

A lot of people were hyped for WoW because it was billed as the continuation of the WoW story after TFT (hence why the immense backlash to TBC's story with the retcons, Blood Elves being shoehorned into the Horde when they should have joined the Alliance, Illidan and Kael being shoehorned into the evil role, etc).

- - - Updated - - -

I think WoW's RP scene and story has been vastly underrated. Most of the fan websites and youtube channels are run by hardcore raiders who only really care about the raids and rarely talk about the story, hence RP seems to many people to be this niche thing that is way smaller than it actually was.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    How did Ion dodge this accusation? The guy that actually makes most of the games decisions, not some shitty fanfiction writer or a women assaulting goblin.
    Asking the REAL questions I see
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

5+ Year Old Account
    Haven't played for several months, but last time I checked there were barely ~10 people in the legendary Goldshire Inn of Moonguard (at 10 pm ST, that is). Not a pretty spectacle :/
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    He is a lawyer by education so he knows how to argue for something and how to technically stay out of trouble but not how to face up to how bad his design decisions are. Like many developers, he probably has a God complex and he is too in love with his design strategy to let his ego get hurt by feedback like sub numbers dropping like pants in a gay bar bathroom. I hope there is some way they can find to get him to leave the company but I doubt they have anybody left to replace him that has the leadership and technical skills needed to bring back WoW to anything resembling a fun state.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    7 years ago, during the 14 month long SoO content drought, you could fly to Orgrimmar and there would be hundreds of players standing around, and walk up RP happening everywhere. There were constant invites to events happening in /trade chat, and massive server wide events being organized on the server forums. We had war crimes trials for Horde players who served Garrosh hosted at the Mogu'Shan vaults and hundreds of Horde and Alliance players turned up. Massive RP-PvP battles over the Thandol Span. Etc. Nowadays, Horde RP on Moon Guard is pretty dead. /Trade chat is dead for hours. Alliance RP is a shell of its former self. PrettyNo huge server wide events anymore.

Hundreds of players used to populate this square 24/7. No longer.

- - - Updated - - -

Really? From what people were telling me, they were flocking to WRA as the last bastion of RP.

- - - Updated - - -

People used to be really passionate about the WoW story. You had the Blades of Greymane and other guilds constantly hosting huge Gilneas resistance events. You had dozens of different Silvermoon organizations, Orcish clans, Tauren Tribes, Alliance militias and knighthoods, etc. But you can only keep RPing with the same setting for so many years. Every Silvermoon intrigue storyline has been done. Every Gilneas resistance storyline has been done (and after 11 years, Gilneas is still not liberated). Tauren haven't had a lore update since Sunwalkers were introduced in Cata; the Grimtotem storyline was forgotten entirely. RPers have exhausted all of the story material. Blizzard has failed to provide new, interesting story material. And Blizzard has shat on the audience's investment in pre-existing story material.
    I agree with literally everything you said because I remember all of this. The plague events in Stormwind. The open world roleplay in Pandaria, the Barrens... Night Elf/Blood Elf DH RP in the DH class hall. Dalaran RP [Both of them] All gone and dead.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

It's really sad to see threads like this.

This is why 10.0 is so important, it needs to be good no matter what, otherwise the game will become a ghost town. Even if 11.0 happens to be good will be too late to recover.

Quote Originally Posted by Luck4 View Post
    It's really sad to see threads like this.

This is why 10.0 is so important, it needs to be good no matter what, otherwise the game will become a ghost town. Even if 11.0 happens to be good will be too late to recover.
    Yes Alex, I'll take "Things said every expansion since forever" for $1,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    You do realize your cheerleading that "everything is fine, the players are the problem" is only hurting the game you're trying so hard to defend?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    The current writers rejoice in destroying Warcraft's religious mythology. WoW's story is also now written by people who don't have edge, hence why you get ridiculous stuff like Alexstraza forgiving the Dragonmaw for repeatedly raping her and, enslaving and murdering her babies, or nations that practice capital punishment moralizing over how wrong it would be to execute Garrosh and how we should forgive them, or the latest stuff with Tyrande having to forgive Sylvanas for committing genocide. "Peace and healing!". The current state of WoW's story is unrecognizable to fans of WC3 and early WoW, hence why the RPers aren't invested in the story of modern WoW.
    Welcome to World of Wokecraft. The saying "Get woke, go broke" exists for a reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

blizzard bad, Bobby kotick bad, story bad

"A shop mount ruined my rp! Let me go play FF"

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    I get it, but I've played WoW since 2010, and I never saw this happening before. Also, I haven't said that the game is dying, games don't die, but communities do. The whole Alliance faction is on life support as we speak. The game is not dead and will not die for a very long time, but it's becoming hard to not notice the number of people leaving and the symptoms that follow the lack of players.

When BG's and DG's take ages to call, and you need to wait for prime time to do some activities, then it's a problem. WoW is a MASSIVE Multiplayer Online game, once the masses are lost the game doesn't die, but becomes unhealthy and unpopular, something that doesn't help make it healthy again.

For MMOs, the perception of players leaving make other players that are still active consider leaving as well. Before you notice, you're moving from server to server, from guild to guild, taking ages to do nearly anything, and barely seeing anyone in most places. This doesn't mean the game is dead but surely is a ghost town.

--

PS: The ghost town term can sometimes refer to cities, towns, and neighborhoods that are still populated, but significantly less so than in past years; for example, those affected by high levels of unemployment and dereliction.
    Last edited by Luck4; 2021-11-29 at 04:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not even 6 months ago. I play on WRA. The server population was perfectly balanced with Horde having a slight edge. It had about roughly a 20% less population than Moonguard counting both factions. 9.1 had dropped in June. Instead of the population rising? It fell. Stormwind had 50+ players on it even off peak hours, same with Orgrimmar, and Oribos. When 9.1 dropped, this dropped down to 40-35ish in Orgrimmar, still 50+ in Oribos, and 25-30 in Stormwind. 9.1.5 dropped a few months later. It continued to dip. Stormwind now has only 17 people during only Saturdays at peak time and around 4-10 people all other times. Orgrimmar sits at 17-20 people all other times and 28ish people at peak times. Oribos goes back and forth between 15-25 people.

Right now Wyrmrest Accord is a dead server within less than 6 months. There's been a mass exodus to Moon Guard as the last bastion of RP servers in retail. I hope they can merge all of the RP servers into one huge server. Wyrmrest, Earthen Ring, Emerald Dream, and the rest with Moon Guard.

I have about 43 characters on Wyrmrest Accord about half are max or close to it and 7 on MoonGuard, none are maxed on Moon Guard. I don't plan to server transfer characters over because that would easily be in the thousands. It just amazes me how two ignorant people can cause so much havoc and damage to a community.

That would be awful. Emerald dream should not be allowed to loose it's multiboxers everywhere
    Wrath baby and proud of it

Quote Originally Posted by Feanoro View Post
    You do realize your cheerleading that "everything is fine, the players are the problem" is only hurting the game you're trying so hard to defend?
    Who's defending Blizzard? I just pointed out that the claim that the game is dying and the next expansion has to save it has been said during every single expansion.

I feel bad for you but the overall playerbase has shrunk and a very niche small community as yours will probably feel that drop more.