Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Just finished myself. Will be interesting what they decide to do with a season 2, since the Anime only had one season. I'm sure Spike will make up with Jet somehow but we'll see.

Signature Created by Jassinta

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    Just finished myself. Will be interesting what they decide to do with a season 2, since the Anime only had one season. I'm sure Spike will make up with Jet somehow but we'll see.
    One season, but 26 episodes. There's still a lot to play with.

There is definitely plenty of material for 1 or 2 more seasons and that's without including any original stories they decide to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    I expected it to suck and somehow it was worse than I thought it could be. Whats more it has no respect for the source material and the fights couldn't be more pathetically choreographed. A fan made show with a shoe string budget would have been better than this abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Finished binging the live action series. That wasn't a slog at all! I'm probably going to parrot a lot of what's already been said, but...

The CGI nailed a lot of the ships and most of the environments. Bebop and Swordfish II looked great. It's a shame they mostly just sat there in the background. I was worried they fucked up Red Tail. Yeah, they had me the first half. I'm not gonna lie. They had me. ¿Donde esta Hammer Head? Off world establishing shots looked good. Gate travel looked and sounded good.

A lot of the music is good.

John Cho's suit was on point, but I'm used to him having more charisma. His Spike wasn't as cool or dangerous. Why for headphones? His Episode 9 oner was decent. Did he NTR?

Not sure why Jet needed a kid and some lame Jingle All The Way subplot. His Udai side quest was weaker. Oh shit, he was Bushmaster? That was a fun character.

New Annie was OK.

Not enough Ein.

Congrats on making Ed more annoying in 15 seconds than she was in 15 episodes. She reminded me of Kurt Russell's kid in Overboard. The one that did the bad Pee-wee Herman impression? Hahahah, it's almost as if they're going to give a childish comedic relief character exaggerated autism. Oh. Oh no... Did Sia write this?

Faye sucked even harder now, and is no longer a hot, busty amnesiac in short shorts. Daniella Pineda was awful. Is she good in anything, or am I just being an asshole?

In the anime, I felt that they didn't show enough Vicious, Julia, and the Red Dragon Syndicate to make me care. Uh, be careful what you wish for? This series showed too much, and I somehow care even less about them. I got a lot more backstory flashbacks than I thought I needed or wanted, resulting in Vicious losing a lot of his menace and becoming pussified. Julia mostly worked, so I can see how she got warped. Elder twist was OK. Oddly enough, Blue Crow Waltz may have been one of the better episodes. I appreciate that an effort was made to tie these guys to the overall story, even if that effort ultimately felt flat.

I wasn't as enamored with the anime as some critics and fans, so I'm not too attached to it, but goddamn this series was wack.

Majority of the dialogue? Bad. A lot of the character back and forth was painful to watch. Was that cockroach, foot, nuclear bomb bit from The Big Bang Theory? Did they do the comparing scars thing from Lethal Weapon 3? Jesus Christ. Pretty much every fight scene? Bad. New Gren? Bad. New Whitney and Mink? Bad. New Londes side quest? Bad. Teddy Bomber, but no Andy and Onyx? Bad. Suddenly lesbians, with no uncomfortably graphic sex scene? Bad.

After that ending, I'm almost looking forward to seeing how much worse it can get. At least it's mostly doing it's own thing now. Maybe Season 2 can transcend badness and become enjoyable schlock?
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Got bored over the holiday weekend so I went ahead and finished it. What an incredibly uncomfortable thing to watch.

I love Bebop, the first time I saw Ballad of Fallen Angels back on Adult Swim was one of the few times I've had a truly transcendental experience with a piece of media. I cannot speak highly enough about Bebop because it isn't just a great piece of anime, it's one of the most phenomenal pieces of fiction ever brought to fruition. To say I was skeptical of this is an understatement, especially after the teaser they released last month. The initial reviews were pretty concerning, too. That said, I'm glad I watched it. It wasn't nearly as bad as some people are making it out to be. As an incredibly huge fan of the series, I feel they did a great job with the casting. (Minus Ed but ... I don't know, she was only on screen for 40 seconds so it's really hard to say much; no offense to the young actress portraying her but kind of wish they'd just not adapted her character at all.) It stays faithful to the source material while still bringing enough new to the table to justify not being a complete Ctrl + C, Ctrl + V of the anime. The extra Julia/Vicious backstory was easily the weakest part of the show but they could have done a lot worse. (Exceptionally stupid was the Syndicate code name thing with Spike being "Fearless.") One thing I will say is that this show has made me realize the dearth of decent Sci-Fi television exists these days. I'd love to see the writers have free reign with the characters and forge their own stories. They're definitely setting up for an interesting Season 2 so I'll be checking it out when it drops.

For once, I agree with IGN... 7/10.
    Last edited by Relapses; 2021-11-28 at 11:13 PM.

Idk who is the director of cast but man, he did an awful job.

Jet and Spike actors would be ok if they werent supposed to be Jet and Spike
    Faye actress is trying way too hard
    Vicious ... omfg, were they out of budget ? It feels like a vilain from a cheap 80's live bioman show. All i want when i see him on screen is to take off his wig.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyah View Post
    Idk who is the director of cast but man, he did an awful job.

Jet and Spike actors would be ok if they werent supposed to be Jet and Spike
    Faye actress is trying way too hard
    Vicious ... omfg, were they out of budget ? It feels like a vilain from a cheap 80's live bioman show. All i want when i see him on screen is to take off his wig.
    I mean, of all the things to complain about I'd saying casting is the least of the show's worries. Vicious' actor was a bit over-the-top but I think that was a directional choice more than a fault of the actor. (I couldn't get The Invisible Man from The Boys out of my head.) Jet's actor was one of the best casting choices I think I've ever seen in a live action adaptation and while Cho's Spike was a bit off from the anime I thought he did a well enough job. Faye was acceptable, you can tell the actress spent a decent amount of time watching her mannerisms (especially eye movement) so credit where credit's due.

Ok finished the show. I don't know if I m a nostalgic prick but every liberty they took compared to the anime story wise felt awful especially in the last few episodes

Julia becoming a bad guy ?
    Jet s daughter ??
    Faye Spike Jet being best friends for ever ???
    Vicious being a brainless spoiled kid ????
    Plus the Netflix tokens
    Etc etc etc

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Well as most of us knew it is now cancelled.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/9/2...ood%20Reporter.

https://www.polygon.com/22827015/cow...nceled-netflix

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...ix-1235060256/

Anyone else think the ending with Ed played a part as to, I am guessing, the amount of thumbs down the show got, for long-time fans and new comers?

Edit: Double link by accident.
    Last edited by Antipathy1018; 2021-12-10 at 12:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shame. I was almost looking forward to how much more of a shitbomb Ed was going to be after her Ep.10 teaser.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi View Post
    Shame. I was almost looking forward to how much more of a shitbomb Ed was going to be after her Ep.10 teaser.
    I was also but an equal part of me did not want their shit version of Ed tainting the Ed I watched. So I was very torn between seeing how bad they can go vs ruining the Ed we all know and love.

It's a shame that the toxic fans managed to win in the end.

This wasn't a great show but it at least deserved one more season.

The cancellation comes to no one's surprise.

This is not how you do anime adaptations.

Nonsense. Not liking something makes you a toxic fan. :/

It's an increasingly difficult concept for some people to grasp but sometimes a show is just bad. It's not about anyone or anything else except the people behind the project failing to deliver. Netflix marketed the hell out of the live action Cowboy Bebop and there were countless articles pushing it across tons of entertainment sites. It had every opportunity to succeed. If it failed to win enough people over to warrant a second season that blame is squarely on the project.

I mean, yeah, blaming toxic fans for not liking a bad show is like blaming entitled customers for not buying your turd sandwiches.

I refuse to believe that there could be a case of a genuine quality product failing because of "toxic fans". I could see a case of an okay medium product failing because of toxic fans, I guess, but then why are you making okay medium products.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    At least we won't have to be subject to their terrible versions of Gren and Ed now.

Toxic fans cannot be the problem for not reaching viewer milestones, you cannot bank on only the toxic fans being your sole viewership, and even then they watched it so they counted toward the viewer count.
    They failed to reach viewers beyond the fanbase.
    Be passionate about the craft, achievements, events and community.
    But do not worship the machine, pedestal nor system.
    You cannot afford to be blind, for yourself and others.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakir View Post
    Nonsense. Not liking something makes you a toxic fan. :/
    No, constantly trashing it online and attacking a young actress over less than a minute of screen time is what makes them toxic.

It's a shame, but I guess Cowboy Bebop is doomed to forever be an obscure series, popular only among hard-core anime fans.