Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    Thats the most 12 year old kid thing I have ever heard. Just if something is true it doesn't automatically becomes non-insult.
    That is where we disagree. It is true that thruth can hurt. Too bad I say

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    That is where we disagree. It is true that thruth can hurt. Too bad I say
    You disagreeing with it doesn't change anything though.

Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    You disagreeing with it doesn't change anything though.
    You mean like kids getting angry over facts while adults should be able to handle them ?

You mean like kids getting angry over facts while adults should be able to handle them ?
    I just had an impression that you loved facts so I gave you a fact of insults still being insults regardless if they're based on truth or not.
    You're just twisting around your own point for the fifth time while simultaneously confirming that you, in fact, understand that these things are considered as insults by others.

Wow fans still being salty over the fact that the toxic Wow community didn't get the reward? Seriously people, just accept it and move on.

Yotsuyu's story is an excellent example of how FFXIV's hostility plays out. So long as most people don't experience or see it, they simply don't care, downplay it's existence or pretend not to see it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Can't handle facts ? I do not insult, not even in wow. I just state facts and people get angry over it
    "I'm not being mean, I'm just telling the truth!"

The line we've heard from every single person who likes to take giant dumps on other people. Just because you're saying something that's true doesn't mean you did it an a non insulting manner. That's the thing, have you ever possibly considered that the way you present you "facts" is insulting?

Also, it's been explicitly stated by every single player ever since ARR that you don't point out if people's damage is low. If you're in 4 man or 8 man story content, damage means jack. You said it yourself, those things are so easy. There's zero reason to get upset over someone else's damage.

Then there's the 100% optional hard end game content. You can PF it, and generally the low damagers get weeded out - whether they realize they need to improve, or they meet enough failure that they stop trying. And as someone who does savage and ultimate, I can even say that the damage output required for savage isn't even "optimal". E9S damage check is super light. You don't get into serious damage checks until E12S.

But honestly... if you can't take PFing these savage raids, perhaps get a static? That way you don't have to worry. You can shit talk with your static in discord.

But I'm gonna circle back to - why do you feel the need to dump on someone's damage? Ask them if they'd like some tips on their class or rotation. If they refuse, put them on your black list, then you don't have to see them in your groups any more. Why is it necessary that you say "Your damage is low and you're holding us back" ?
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

1. You don't know who is a kid and who is an adult.
    2. Insults are about tone, not about facts. If I walk into a hospital and go up to a cancer patients family and say "He is goin to die and there is nothing you can do about it", I am certainly telling the truth. That's a fact. I am also a horrendous asshole who is insulting them.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    1. You don't know who is a kid and who is an adult.
    2. Insults are about tone, not about facts. If I walk into a hospital and go up to a cancer patients family and say "He is goin to die and there is nothing you can do about it", I am certainly telling the truth. That's a fact. I am also a horrendous asshole who is insulting them.
    Yes, and so what ? Though, you are not insulting them, you are still an horrendous asshole per your own word.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I don't pay much attention to such awards, personally. FFXIV's community is a very mixed bag. It pretends to be nice on the surface, but dig beneath that and it's a sea of passive aggressive commentary, cult-like defence of the development team's every decision, death threats in response to people liking or disliking specific characters, creepy grooming, an excessive focus on erotic role-play and brothels (with underage participants, no less).

In the past week I've had someone tell a friend to go and kill themselves on Reddit for not liking Alphinaud and my partner and I were accused of 'faking being gay' because we posted about not caring about representation being present everywhere, all the time.

The game itself is enjoyable enough. A large, vocal segment of the community, however, is utterly reprehensible. Far beyond anything I ever experienced in the supposedly much more toxic MMO's out there.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed with this. The game's strengths are in the strong narrative, world building, environmental design, raid/dungeon design and music.
    Personally I think this is the biggest weakness of the game. Subjective opinions and all, but I found the story to be bland and uninteresting, world building and environmental design - the zones are bland and they (and the game in general) looks bad. That's because of the engine though and not the game itself. The graphics are horrid. Didn't do too many raids, but the dungeons I did (everything from 1-80) was just.. I don't remember a single name of any dungeon. The music was swiftly muted as well, and most of the cringe dialogue promptly skipped after the story proved to be boring.

The gameplay itself was fine, but the looks and feel of the game just.. made it too hard.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    Wow fans still being salty over the fact that the toxic Wow community didn't get the reward? Seriously people, just accept it and move on.
    I don't think even the most staunch WoW defenders would dare nominate WoW for this award lol.

But observing from afar, the FFXIV community feels weird to me... weird culty kinda vibes... with a weird cult like admiration for the lead game designer.
    And as for WoW, Blizz is just wack.

I don't even particularly like either WoW or FFXIV... they both big poopy poop games.

wtf am i even doing on this website

People keep arguing these vapid points. FFXIV is not without acts of toxicity or jerk players, But it is far more welcoming and warmer than other communities, addresses and acts against said toxcity and jerks far more often and also does not have as severe toxicity/jerks as often as other games reknown for it.

This recent arguement here about "passive aggressiveness", as if it equates to the terrible shit in other games, is especially hilarious given how at best one is less than inconvenient passing fart passing you by and the other is nuclear waste cesspool you were kicked into.

Yotsuyu's story is an excellent example of how FFXIV's hostility plays out. So long as most people don't experience or see it, they simply don't care, downplay it's existence or pretend not to see it.
    no thats completely wrong. Yotsuyu's story was people seeing it and not doing anything about it, pretty much her entire life.

Unlike how stuff in FFXIV plays out if someone is being shitty.

Last edited by Tenjen; 2021-12-01 at 02:54 PM.

So you went from one extreme to another. How typical. As I said, if you say to someone : you are not pulling your weight, you do less damage than the healer. You will get punished.
    Because that's not constructive and does nothing but insult the person. All you did was say they're not doing their job. You offered no help. WTF were they supposed to do with that information if they didn't know they were doing something wrong?

Even someone who does know what they're doing gets no useful information from that statement, aside from knowing you're upset with them because of the amount of damage the person is or isn't doing.

All you did was not use derogatory or vulgar language and didn't do it directly.

Your approach needs work....a lot of it, if you think this is a completely innocuous way to bring up the fact that someone isn't doing as much damage as you think they should.

- - - Updated - - -

Can't handle facts ? I do not insult, not even in wow. I just state facts and people get angry over it
    It's not the facts that hurt it's how they're presented, typically.

If you don't understand that, I really don't know what to tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    no thats completely wrong. Yotsuyu's story was people seeing it and not doing anything about it.

Unlike how stuff in FFXIV plays out if someone is being shitty.
    I'm specifically referring to the recent trend of some players pretending that people who do bad things outside of the game are suddenly not a part of the community, even though they are. They can't be punished if they're operating on third party platforms, but given how often I see death threats and defamatory comments aimed at players on Reddit, Twitter and Discord I'm not inclined to pretend as if everything is sunshine and rainbows within the FFXIV community.

Worse yet, those who point out or share their experiences are basically told to be quiet, or have their warnings downplayed - even when the number of people doing as such is not exactly small.

One arguably only needs to look at the FFXIV Twitter tag and look at a few random profiles to see how nuts some of the people playing this game happen to be.

15+ Year Old Account
    This "beneath the surface" toxicity seems to be grossly overstated in most cases.

But let me ask, how deep in the RP community are you?
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Yes, and so what ? Though, you are not insulting them, you are still an horrendous asshole per your own word.
    So....per your own words, you're being an asshole, but not directly insulting someone, so it's OK and you don't understand why you got in trouble...for being an asshole....? Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    So....per your own words, you're being an asshole, but not directly insulting someone, so it's OK and you don't understand why you got in trouble...for being an asshole....? Seriously?
    So saying that to a family of someone gravely ill and saying to someone in a video game that they should learn to play weight the same to you ? Interesting take.

So saying that to a family of someone gravely ill and saying to someone in a video game that they should learn to play weight the same to you ? Interesting take.
    Just taking your logic and applying it to you and how you think that JUST stating facts is acceptable in-game so long as you don't directly insult someone. Which implies that you think being an asshole is perfectly OK, because all you're doing is stating facts and not insulting someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    This "beneath the surface" toxicity seems to be grossly overstated in most cases.

But let me ask, how deep in the RP community are you?
    Deep enough to have served as a moderator, previously, over on the Hydaelyn Roleplayers site. As such, I've seen quite a lot of troubling things over the years.

I also help moderate a Discord server created for those wishing to discuss the lore in a civil fashion - which came to exist, precisely, because anyone who even dared to discuss certain characters or factions in a positive light would receive organised death threats, stalking and doxxing amongst other nasty things.

Beyond that, I also post almost daily over on the official forum. I don't say this to brag, but rather to provide context. People can take it with a pinch of salt if they so wish, but I've been embedded in the community for quite some time and likely see it very differently to those who are newer to the game and are desperate to see it as bright, shiny and so much better than X, Y or Z.

I don't hate the game, either - and when I moved from Crystal to Chaos (mostly to get a house and to indulge in better ping) the community, I found, became much more tolerable. So take that as you will.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    This thread isn't meant for "Game vs. Game" comparisons, for example the WoW and FFXIV communities. Let's focus on the actual subject of the thread as opposed to derailing tangents concerning different games.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead