Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    What is that FreeHongKong thing I have heard many times but never understood it.

Was it something like Blizzard banned some Hearthstone player so people in Hong Kong rioted in streets because of it? I remember some Hong Kong player being banned by Blizz.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    Didn't we already teach you this lesson, old man??

https://wow.tools/dbc/?dbc=chatprofa...h=freehongkong

Edit: I was unaware that this only affects the Chinese client.
    reported for offensive and inappropriate post title....children view these forums!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by guisadop View Post
    this really isn't surprising. chinese money is huge for actiblizz
    isnt this something the chinese department changes?not blizz?just like all the chinese edits to the game?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sansnom View Post
    Interesting. i wonder if people starts spamming BlackLivesMatter or LBGTQ in the US would generate similar response on the forums or chat.

Since in China, HK is a sensitive subject while in the US, there is the BLM, LBGTQ etc.
    It wouldn't.

Unlike in the US where companies do support those examples, NetEase in China wants to be on CCP's lap, and thus have to hush Hong Kong because else CCP will be mad at NetEase, and NetEase's products will go bad, and then Blizzard will be mad at NetEase for not running their section of WoW correctly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ryjkur View Post
    What is that FreeHongKong thing I have heard many times but never understood it.

Was it something like Blizzard banned some Hearthstone player so people in Hong Kong rioted in streets because of it? I remember some Hong Kong player being banned by Blizz.
    During a tournament on the Asian market, a player spouted out, 'Free Hong Kong' or something along those lines, and got into serious trouble with the planners of the event, among them, being NetEase (The ones operating Blizzard's products in some countries). He lost his title and prize, and then after some pressure from companies and people, NetEase permitted the title back (I believe), and he was given some of the prize money.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by TheFirstOnes View Post
    Seems bound to China only

- - - Updated - - -

Square Enix would be the LAST company you’d ever want to praise in this regard
    I think.... it went... right over your head.

Quote Originally Posted by Malania View Post
    Chinese issues are Chinese issues. Until the people of China start to give a shit about their leadership and it's rampant corruption and abuse, it's an internal problem.
    not likely to happen,china has been doing better and better in almost every aspect,for example the middle class has been growing greatly,meanwile usa's has been dead for some time now,people are even moving to china in record numbers

if the people of china didnt rise up in the REALLY bad times,you think its gonna be NOW?haha...hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    did he though? I googled it and found that he was forced to change a toon's name and he changed it to FreeHongKong... but I don't see anything about him having to change it again. I mean if he had been forced to then I would've found something on it but I didn't
    Did he not have to change one name and he changed it to Freehongkong and then change it again? You are probably right enough. I remember reading about it on these forum a while ago.

lol some of the profanities that are censored out are pretty funny.

1811 - poontang
    1895 - spanish fly (ironic considering the 'cosby suite')
    2181 - dickholster
    2189 - americunt

Also - 臺灣國 (taiwan guo (the country of Taiwan)) is also censored out haha. Can't even refer to Taiwan as a country on the Chinese client. Also unsurprisingly you can't say:

西藏 - Tibet
    西藏獨立 - Tibet Independence
    西藏局势 - The situation in Tibet
    西藏分裂 - Secession of Tibet
    西藏国 - The country of Tibet
    Last edited by shoc; 2021-12-02 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keten View Post
    People don't really realize that China has been growing and lifting its people out of poverty for a good while now, achieving standards of living that surpass those of the US quite easily. Meanwhile, the wealthy of the US milk the working class and poor for every dollar they possibly can, lowering our standard of living constantly for their own benefit.

One may not like the way China does things, but it seems to work while our system appears to be fundamentally broken.
    'the way China does things' is exactly the way the West did things for the past 300 years, to pull Europe and the Americas up out of squalor. Wanton environmental destruction, exploitation of poorer countries, aggressive territorialism, it's all just products of industrialization, we've been there done that. Soon China will find itself transitioning to being a post-industrial state too.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not a chance if you ask me. First Amendment and all. My impression was that the censorship was suggested by the CCP, not Blizzard.

Please quote the part of the first amendment that would apply to blizzard.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by choom View Post
    'the way China does things' is exactly the way the West did things for the past 300 years, to pull Europe and the Americas up out of squalor. Wanton environmental destruction, exploitation of poorer countries, aggressive territorialism, it's all just products of industrialization, we've been there done that. Soon China will find itself transitioning to being a post-industrial state too.
    wile this is ofc possible,its not a guarantee in the same way it happened in the usa,simply because of how the goverment does things,they punish harshly companies that do harmful things like the ones in usa,not reward them or turn a blind eye,also the europe coment is a bit ironic considering how things have reversed

"The beginning of wisdom is the ability to call things by their right names." -Confucius
    China seems to be handling destructive forces like religion way better than "the west", this is a game-changer.

Religions, conservativism, and the incompabilities between capitalism and democracy, is what makes the west regress.

"Its just banned in China" is a disgusting reponse to this BTW. Absolutely revolting. Either you have morals and ethics or you don't. If you are OK with them only banning it in China but are OK with it elsewhere being used, then you have no moral or ethical beliefs. You are utterly untrustworthy. Pick a view and stick with it. Otherwise, your morals and beliefs are for sale to the highest bidder or to those with the most power.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2021-12-02 at 09:09 PM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    "Its just banned in China" is a disgusting reponse to this BTW. Absolutely revolting. Either you have morals and ethics or you don't. If you are OK with them only banning it in China but are OK with it elsewhere being used, then you have no moral or ethical beliefs. You are utterly untrustworthy. Pick a view and stick with it. Otherwise, your morals and beliefs are for sale to the highest bidder or to those with the most power.
    It's less that and more acknowledging that "China is going to China". A good chunk of the people there are ok with what they do, a huge chunk of the world turns a blind eye to any of their violations other than a sternly worded "please stop", and the rest of us are powerless to do anything. Want change? You might be better off starting a revolution yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Please quote the part of the first amendment that would apply to blizzard.
    The part where the US government will never pressure Blizzard to censor the political speech of its players. The CCP has very strict rules for what is and isnt allowed in any media, including for political reasons. Blizzard's stance on anything beyond harassment, threats, and hate speech is that it should be handled by /ignore.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The part where the US government will never pressure Blizzard to censor the political speech of its players. The CCP has very strict rules for what is and isnt allowed in any media, including for political reasons. Blizzard's stance on anything beyond harassment, threats, and hate speech is that it should be handled by /ignore.
    You were talking about blizzard doing it not the government. Blizzard can sensor whatever they want in their game.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

This post inspired me to send an angry emoticon to the president of China. I'll let you know how i--

...hang on, there's guys in suits at my door.

Blademaster
    5+ Year Old Account
    Smartest person in the room right here. Communism is literally evil.

Oh no, I definitely oppose it being censored anywhere.

But with it only censored in China, it feels less like a decision by Blizzard out of their own political opinion, and more like the only option they were given by the CCP to allow the game to exist in China. Like all the bone-censorship in the Chinese version. Blizzard doesnt care if people see bones, they care if their game would be banned in a massive market.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by notsouki View Post
    Smartest person in the room right here. Communism is literally evil.
    Authoritarianism*

Authoritarianism*
    Psst...they go hand-in-hand.

It is like the zero tolerance policy for employees sexually mistreating each other. It is very zero tolerance. Unless you are Bobby. Then well... lets hire a token person to put on the board to fix that shall we?