Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Space is littered with the frozen corpses of time travellers because they never took into account the planet is never in the same spot from the present and past.
    I agree.
    Need to locate the "origin point" of the planet. Which may entail finding the one spot in all space that never moved since creation and map it all out before considering coordinates.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    "Time travel" as in popular fiction, will never be "discovered" as it cannot exist.
    Saying something "cannot exist" is probably one of the most ignorant statements possible in science. What you were looking for was "at this point in our knowledge, it does not seem possible".

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I think governments would try to keep a lid on it. But something like that would probably be impossible to keep under wraps forever. And if people know it's possible, someone else is bound to figure it out.
    Why though? What reason would they have to hide time travel?

Also, government leaders and the elites of the world aren't evil... They don't want to keep the public ignorant.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-12-03 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Saying something "cannot exist" is probably one of the most ignorant statements possible in science. What you were looking for was "at this point in our knowledge, it does not seem possible".
    Feel free to call me out when i'm proven wrong, but i won't hold my breath. *yawns*

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    There's a saying that, more than galactic travel, time-traveling or at the least alternate reality travel is one of mankind's longest sought goals (fantasies in the context of current science).

But now that I've been thinking about it, if the feat of it was discovered eventually, how would it be unveiled to the world? Would it even be shared with regular people?
    It will never be "shared" in the sense of letting all humanity run rampant with the use of it. However, if our species evolves a little more and takes up some responsibility, then who knows.

But the power of time travel, if it's ever possible, is so great that it would be hoarded.

- - - Updated - - -

Feel free to call me out when i'm proven wrong, but i won't hold my breath. *yawns*
    Exactly what we'd expect from someone who doesn't understand science.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post

Also, government leaders and the elites of the world aren't evil... They don't want to keep the public ignorant.
    To retain the power of time travel. Because those who have it, assuming it works even remotely like we *think* it does, would benefit immensely in both personal wealth and power.

You should be asking yourself who wouldn't hide that kind of power.

Exactly what we'd expect from someone who doesn't understand science.
    How's that Hyperloop going, Mr. "understands science"?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    How's that Hyperloop going, Mr. "understands science"?
    Awwwwww, look at you trying to defect. You literally don't understand one of the most fundamental principles of science, and when called out on it, resort to your typical shenanigans. Thanks for proving us all right. *yawn* (am I doing that right? )

Awwwwww, look at you trying to defect. You literally don't understand one of the most fundamental principles of science, and when called out on it, resort to your typical shenanigans. Thanks for proving us all right. *yawn* (am I doing that right? )
    I don't care whether you think you've "won" here or anything. Have a nice evening. I was just pointing out the irony of YOU of all posters here accusing others of not understanding science.

Bye.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't care whether you think you've "won" here or anything. Have a nice evening. I was just pointing out the irony of YOU of all posters here accusing others of not understanding science.

Bye.
    The irony gets even better as you are the one who apparently doesn't understand basic science principles, nor what you continually try to bait me with. Remember, it's your *youtube* video scientist vs a couple dozen cities/states/countries. But please stop trying to derail the thread. You can take your ridiculous notions regarding the efficacy of the Hyperloop to the appropriate thread.

Please post constructively.

7+ Year Old Account
    It will never be "shared" in the sense of letting all humanity run rampant with the use of it. However, if our species evolves a little more and takes up some responsibility, then who knows.

But the power of time travel, if it's ever possible, is so great that it would be hoarded.

To retain the power of time travel. Because those who have it, assuming it works even remotely like we *think* it does, would benefit immensely in both personal wealth and power.

You should be asking yourself who wouldn't hide that kind of power.
    I disagree. There's no reason to think time travel can be exploited to gain an advantage in the present or future. The thing you have to realize is that "time" or at least the "arrow of time" doesn't exist. The universe unfurls and evolves without an arrow of time. While a time machine could exist it can't actually send you back in time in the traditional sense, what it would be doing is transferring you to a different universe with the appropriate arrangement of physical objects. However at the exact moment that a time traveler goes back in time they would be fundamentally 100% disconnected from their original prior universe forever. As far as time goes the only option a time traveler has is to live their life in their new universe or time travel again back in time to when the universe was at an even earlier stage of development.

They don't want to keep the public ignorant.
    lol...

Anyway, governments would have a vested interest in withholding it for the same reasons they don't want people running around with tanks and nukes. Obviously.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I disagree. There's no reason to think time travel can be exploited to gain an advantage in the present or future. The thing you have to realize is that "time" or at least the "arrow of time" doesn't exist. The universe unfurls and evolves without an arrow of time. While a time machine could exist it can't actually send you back in time in the traditional sense, what it would be doing is transferring you to a different universe with the appropriate arrangement of physical objects. However at the exact moment that a time traveler goes back in time they would be fundamentally 100% disconnected from their original prior universe forever. As far as time goes the only option a time traveler has is to live their life in their new universe or time travel again back in time to when the universe was at an even earlier stage of development.
    You're doing the Avengers version of time travel, which I think might be the best "theory" out there. I agree - but it still can be used for personal gain of power. Unless and until it's fully realized and that particular theory is both correct and proven (which would be interesting to try and prove, right?), then once actualized it will be of immense power. And no one in the history of our species has willingly shared power like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, government leaders and the elites of the world ... don't want to keep the public ignorant.
    You want to expand on that a bit? Because the whole of human history tells us you're wrong.

I wrote a fiction story once about this. many years into the future, a group of scientists invent time travel. in this future, religion has been eradicated from human society and most people are militant atheists. this is important because when the time travel technology is tested, it goes horribly wrong. people are sent back in time, but when they arrive, they are trapped in some ghostly plane of existence. most of the time, they can walk around but not interact unless provoked with anger. those that went back in time to the period of history where religion was prominent got labelled as demons or demonic spirits by those unfortunate enough to set off their rage. exorcisms really pissed off these atheists because they were trapped in a scientific bungle and now had to endure these primitives and their backwards religions, and some got so made they were able to affect the physical plane for short times. those that went back in time to say 2010 found a world much less religious and so barely interacted with the physical world. the lead scientist in the project got sent back like 6000 years, went insane dealing with his condition and all the primitive religions and in effect became a major demonic force ironically.

as time travel got refined in the future further than that, people were intentionally sent back in time into this metaphysical plane to combat these demons by pretending to be angels helping fight them.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Lets see...Earth is moving 67,000 miles per hour. In addition, our solar system--Earth and all--whirls around the center of our galaxy at some 490,000 miles per hour, while the galaxy itself is moving outward at 1.3 milluon miles per hour...

So...where's the one point on space that isn't moving? I suppose we'd have to backtrack some 6 billion light years in the reverse direction...that way? Shit...have to factor in curvature...sexy space...no straight lines here..dammit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    One year. The person who is stationary basically lives on Jan 1 and every time the earth makes a complete rotation… well that’s called a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    But you're never stationary. You, and the space you're occupying are always in motion at any given moment in time.
    I don't think i'm explaining it well, and that is all on me.

The "stationary" portion is in relation to staying along side the sun, not orbiting around it, but staying near it while it moves. I can't think of a better way of putting it at the moment.

The thought I am trying to play with is, 1 year on our planet is 1 year because that is how long it takes for the planet, and us on it, to rotate around the sun. But would it take the same amount of time to observe it from off the planet?

Something like, observed time, vs experienced time.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I wrote a fiction story once about this.
    As terrible as this was, it's still better than your Civil War 2: Electric Boogaloo fanfiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    But would it take the same amount of time to observe it from off the planet?
    Yes? We can observe the motions of other planets and moons. As far as I know, the only time observations like this start to change would be when something's moving a relativistic speeds, or the observer is in some ridiculously strong gravity well.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That's the the big argument against time travel; that if it were possible, we would be dealing with an influx of time travelers from the entire future history of humanity and what comes after us. Because no such technology is going to remain under lock and key for that entire span of time, forever.
    There are so many things kept secret from the general public. While I agree with the premise of this theory, I don't agree with the assumption they make that its ever going to be made publicly available, or even public knowledge.

Thus, I say that no, it will never be shared with the public for this Exact reason.We don't know for sure if it is created, and when that would be. We don't know what other technologies would be made along side it. We already think that to some degree, this is considered impossible. If they make a break through for that, just imagine what else they thought was previously impossible but actually isn't, such as full scale invisibility. Thus allowing them to actually go undetected.

As for why it would never be made public knowledge, just look at the pandemic to know why. People acting irresponsibly despite science telling them how dangerous their actions are. Some trying to spread it, like the ones licking items in grocery stores early on. I think whomever creates it would be exceedingly intelligent and would fully be aware that they could never safely share the information with anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are so many things kept secret from the general public. While I agree with the premise of this theory, I don't agree with the assumption they make that its ever going to be made publicly available, or even public knowledge.

Thus, I say that no, it will never be shared with the public for this Exact reason.We don't know for sure if it is created, and when that would be. We don't know what other technologies would be made along side it. We already think that to some degree, this is considered impossible. If they make a break through for that, just imagine what else they thought was previously impossible but actually isn't, such as full scale invisibility. Thus allowing them to actually go undetected.

As for why it would never be made public knowledge, just look at the pandemic to know why. People acting irresponsibly despite science telling them how dangerous their actions are. Some trying to spread it, like the ones licking items in grocery stores early on. I think whomever creates it would be exceedingly intelligent and would fully be aware that they could never safely share the information with anyone.
    The problem with time travel is you have to make the case that not only has this happened to remain true so far, it will always remain true forever, over millions and millions of years of future history, across every single possible future iteration of humanity.

That where incredulity starts to crop up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I don't think i'm explaining it well, and that is all on me.
    The "stationary" portion is in relation to staying along side the sun, not orbiting around it, but staying near it while it moves. I can't think of a better way of putting it at the moment. The thought I am trying to play with is, 1 year on our planet is 1 year because that is how long it takes for the planet, and us on it, to rotate around the sun. But would it take the same amount of time to observe it from off the planet? Something like, observed time, vs experienced time.
    I understand. However it's that ratio of time and space and it's displacement. Coordinates for one year ago would factor where I was year then...which was objectively thousands of miles away. Other coordinates need to factor the reverse as well...except the time spent needs to be added into the calculations of spatial displacement. This assumes you returning of course. The numbers...are kinda mind blowing. Looking ar a series of numbers just for coordinates...but to do the math to get those numbers make my head hurt.