Mounts, transmogs, toys.... Glyphs.

As it stands, glyphs are few and far between, by comparison to things like mounts, toys, and transmogs. Every expansion, they add new spell effects to NPCs-- why not glyphs to give some of those to players? And a glyph collection?

Example: All of those swirly necromantic spell effects from Maldraxxus -- Why arent those unlockable, renown gated glyphs for warlocks and priests? Shadow bolt changes to a soul bolt, for the same effect but different appearance.

They could literally slap these effects on every major spell in the game if they wanted, it's not like they didnt already spend the time to create them. A Venthyr Paladin could have blood-red spells. A Night Fae Druid could have all the sparkly stars over their healing effects. Hell, why dont Druids already have unlockable bear, cat, and travel forms based on Night Fae spirit animals?

Spells that replace holy and shadow spells with their opposite for priests. Frostfire versions of all frost and fire mage spells. Frostfire death knights to match Bolvar. Blue light for priests and paladin spells.

Bonus: Lock some glyphs to races instead of classes. Like a Worgen glyph that lets you hide one-handed melee weapons, and a Night Elf glyph that unlocks the ability to wield warglaives regardless of class. A blood elf paladin's consecration could look like the swirly gold of the Sunwell. Possibilities are endless, and I'd certainly like to have another customization to collect.
    Last edited by Amnaught; 2021-12-01 at 12:41 AM.

Would be nice if toys weren't on 8 hour long cooldowns. Why aren't we allowed to have fun? Also really sucks for RPers because mean RP items that you could spam were converted into toys with long CDs so you can't use them to RP anymore.

Yeah seems they were going in a good direction with glyphs with MoP adding all the cosmetic ones then they kinda fizzled out, got a few in Legion and maybe some in WoD.

If they're worried about these getting confusing in pvp they could just disable them in pvp, but I want more class flair customization through glyphs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Would be nice if toys weren't on 8 hour long cooldowns. Why aren't we allowed to have fun? Also really sucks for RPers because mean RP items that you could spam were converted into toys with long CDs so you can't use them to RP anymore.
    seconded, all toys without a useful effect should have a maximum CD of 1 minute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    seconded, all toys without a useful effect should have a maximum CD of 1 minute.
    Doesn't even have to be that. Make the duration match the cooldown on it and so that it doesn't disappear when you die. If the duration at least matched the CD then it would be nowhere near as bad. Reduced cooldowns work too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    Doesn't even have to be that. Make the duration match the cooldown on it and so that it doesn't disappear when you die. If the duration at least matched the CD then it would be nowhere near as bad. Reduced cooldowns work too.
    Totally cor reduced cooldowns on some stuff, but like, endless fel spreaders would be a plague on Orgrimmar.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    Yeah seems they were going in a good direction with glyphs with MoP adding all the cosmetic ones then they kinda fizzled out, got a few in Legion and maybe some in WoD.
    Right? I just dont understand. The effects are already there, just put them on our existing spells??

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    As it stands, glyphs are few and far between, by comparison to things like mounts, toys, and transmogs. Every expansion, they add new spell effects to NPCs-- why not glyphs to give some of those to players? And a glyph collection?

Example: All of those swirly necromantic spell effects from Maldraxxus -- Why arent those unlockable, renown gated glyphs for warlocks and priests? Shadow bolt changes to a soul bolt, for the same effect but different appearance.

They could literally slap these effects on every major spell in the game if they wanted, it's not like they didnt already spend the time to create them. A Venthyr Paladin could have blood-red spells. A Night Fae Druid could have all the sparkly stars over their healing effects. Hell, why dont Druids already have unlockable bear, cat, and travel forms based on Night Fae spirit animals?

Spells that replace holy and shadow spells with their opposite for priests. Frostfire versions of all frost and fire mage spells. Frostfire death knights to match Bolvar. Blue light for priests and paladin spells.

Bonus: Lock some glyphs to races instead of classes. Like a Worgen glyph that lets you hide one-handed melee weapons, and a Night Elf glyph that unlocks the ability to wield warglaives regardless of class. A blood elf paladin's consecration could look like the swirly gold of the Sunwell. Possibilities are endless, and I'd certainly like to have another customization to collect.
    I agree! Glyphs are boring as hell right now and Glyphs could provide that extra bit of customisation with assets that are already in the game!

I don't get why they've removed glyphs that were entirely cosmetic in nature at all.

For instance, in WoD, shamans got a glyph that changed the appearance of Ascendance to function much like the Boomkin glyph.

Why was it removed just because Ascendance was made into a talent instead of a baseline ability?

I've never liked the Ascendance model. It looks terrible and has equally terrible animations. A glyph that changed Ascendance to use your regular character model with a colored glow effect was a godsend.

And Blizzard really needs to allow shamans to customize Ghost Wolf in the barbershop at some point.

Change the name of the ability to Spirit Form and allow the Night Fae Soulshape forms to be used by Spirit Form so they're not entirely lost after Shadowlands.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

That sounds like FUN doesn't it? No no we can't have that.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    as long as the toys in question aren't annoying as fuck

Maybe because glyphs were not entirely cosmetic

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    In fact, I think the only appearance-changing toy that has a duration longer than it's cooldown is Kalytha's Haunted Locket (15 minute cooldown for a 30 minute buff).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by superhero View Post
    Maybe because glyphs were not entirely cosmetic
    You using Internet Explorer? Glyphs have been solely cosmetics since Legion at least.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited Power View Post
    I don't get why they've removed glyphs that were entirely cosmetic in nature at all.

For instance, in WoD, shamans got a glyph that changed the appearance of Ascendance to function much like the Boomkin glyph.

Why was it removed just because Ascendance was made into a talent instead of a baseline ability?

I've never liked the Ascendance model. It looks terrible and has equally terrible animations. A glyph that changed Ascendance to use your regular character model with a colored glow effect was a godsend.

And Blizzard really needs to allow shamans to customize Ghost Wolf in the barbershop at some point.

Change the name of the ability to Spirit Form and allow the Night Fae Soulshape forms to be used by Spirit Form so they're not entirely lost after Shadowlands.
    Thank you! Finally someone who agrees on the Ascendance appearance! I never liked it either, didn't like any of the Cata style aesthetics they added in general.

And why can't we glyph the Wotlk worg model anymore? I find it much cooler than the new ghost wolf model. The new wolf looks like a fluffy puppy! I want savage worg!

I can really imaging a dev tweeting that toys with no CD would kill race identity or something stupid like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    In fact, I think the only appearance-changing toy that has a duration longer than it's cooldown is Kalytha's Haunted Locket (15 minute cooldown for a 30 minute buff).

- - - Updated - - -

You using Internet Explorer? Glyphs have been solely cosmetics since Legion at least.
    sometimes yes, I use Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    Totally cor reduced cooldowns on some stuff, but like, endless fel spreaders would be a plague on Orgrimmar.

- - - Updated - - -

Right? I just dont understand. The effects are already there, just put them on our existing spells??
    Its crazy, isn't it. I could totally see an entirely new facet of collectibles and potentially endless character customization through glyphs. crafted ones, boss drops, achievements... Spells to make mage fireballs blues, making priest smite be shadow magic, DKs have maldraxxus vibe spells.

It just didn't happen and I remember back in MoP entire forum threads, even Dave Kosak mentioned in a tweet, of fun cosmetic glyph ideas that was 100 pages long.

It doesn't look like much effort is involved in the production of changing spell effects on the developer side, as we see minor NPCs, creatures and even trash mobs with unique spell effects.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, glyphs have so, so, so, so, sooo much potentional left untapped.

Also, add the WoD tents as toys or something like the Vulpera campsite thingy.

Edit: Could make racial/faction campsites with those tents.

Yup. It’s that nonsense with toy cooldowns that make them a dead collectible to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by choom View Post
    Which one of those ropes can I hang myself with