Page 46 of 61 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilithvia View Post
    Wait is that wild Slowpoke Is A Gamer in this thread?

- - - Updated - - -

Does Utah have a best four record right now? QuAlItY lOsSeS

Is Utah one of the best four based on how they've played the last 10 games? Absofuckinglutely.
    Stanford called to ruin your dream....

5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Stanford called to ruin your dream....
    We kicked Stanford's ass.

Wait is that wild Slowpoke Is A Gamer in this thread?

- - - Updated - - -

Does Utah have a best four record right now? QuAlItY lOsSeS

Is Utah one of the best four based on how they've played the last 10 games? Absofuckinglutely.
    Still got a loss to Oregon State in there. That would be the worst loss of any of the top 4, and their schedule is not that strong. So I don't agree with you there. Ignore the first few weeks and they're probably jockeying with Notre Dame for the 5th spot, likely in 6th, maybe 7th behind Ohio State (whose Oregon loss would be ignored).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Should just go to Conference Champions. Win the Conference and you go to the dance. Just how many dances there are should be determined.
    That would be unfair to the SEC, and would encourage teams to leave and go dominate weaker conferences like the Big 12. If you look back at how SEC selections have done in the CFP, it's hard to argue that they haven't deserved those bids. In fact, there's a strong argument that the SEC hasn't gotten enough bids.
    Last edited by Coniferous; 2021-12-06 at 02:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coniferous View Post
    Still got a loss to Oregon State in there. That would be the worst loss of any of the top 4, and their schedule is not that strong. So I don't agree with you there. Ignore the first few weeks and they're probably jockeying with Notre Dame for the 5th spot, likely in 6th, maybe 7th behind Ohio State (whose Oregon loss would be ignored).

- - - Updated - - -

That would be unfair to the SEC, and would encourage teams to leave and go dominate weaker conferences like the Big 12. If you look back at how SEC selections have done in the CFP, it's hard to argue that they haven't deserved those bids. In fact, there's a strong argument that the SEC hasn't gotten enough bids.
    so let them leave the SEC.... nothing wrong with spreading around the top tier schools vs SEC bias-ville we have now.

and GD it, I've been hoping all day the stuff around Coach V and Clemson was wrong but nope. I think it will take a couple of years for Clemson to recover from losing Coach V.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    so let them leave the SEC.... nothing wrong with spreading around the top tier schools vs SEC bias-ville we have now.

and GD it, I've been hoping all day the stuff around Coach V and Clemson was wrong but nope. I think it will take a couple of years for Clemson to recover from losing Coach V.
    It's not bias when they have shown they deserve the bids they've gotten.

It's not bias when they have shown they deserve the bids they've gotten.
    they really haven't though.. that's the bias lol Bama didn't deserve to be in the top 4 prior to the UGA game and doesn't deserve to be number 1 now.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

they really haven't though.. that's the bias lol Bama didn't deserve to be in the top 4 prior to the UGA game and doesn't deserve to be number 1 now.
    We can't really talk about this year yet because we have to see how they do. But prior to this year, SEC teams are 10-3 against non-SEC teams in the CFP. The one year two SEC teams got invited, they both won the semifinal matchups. If SEC teams were getting in because they were overrated, they would be losing those games. My suspicion is the SEC is gonna be 12-3 against non SEC after this year, but we'll see. It's going to be hard to argue bama didn't belong once they smoke Cincy, as I suspect they will once Nick Saban has a month to find holes in their (obviously weaker) roster.

If you go down a tier, the SEC is 7-6 in the other 4 big bowl games, which again, indicates that they're not being invited to too many bowls. Overall, despite having the most games, the SEC also has the highest winning percentage of any conference (unless you want to count the mountain west's 1-0 record). If you eliminate Alabama, they fall from 18-10 to 10-7, which is still a higher percentage than any other conference, and is only one win behind the big 10 for total wins.

- - - Updated - - -

Just looked it up, the spread for Cincy Alabama is 14... wow.
    Last edited by Coniferous; 2021-12-06 at 03:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Should just go to Conference Champions. Win the Conference and you go to the dance. Just how many dances there are should be determined.
    that's way too logical and doesn't help the SEC....
    Apparently there's a comittee looking into expansion of the CFP, and the situation is sort of like this:

1) They need to act soon and make a decision, cause the current CFP agreement only runs a few more years and doing things like making agreements with Stadiums for specific dates needs to be done years in advance, which means their timeframe to decide on this is short, if I understood correctly they have a few months.

2) There's 2 schools of thought in the committee, backed by different segments. I forgot which conference backs what plan, but the basic ideas are between having more invitees and having those be guaranteed 5 from the Power 5 + several at large + a proposal to just do X number of highest record invitees + several at large.

Like I said, I forget who backed which proposal, but one tidbit that was in the article I read was that one of the commisioners of one of the conferences said of the proposal that gave guaranteed spots to the Power 5 that such a rule would open them up to interference from the government and lawsuits, the basic gist of it being unfair and liable to be challenged at some point.

Another commisioner suggested that the process as it currently stands to make this decision, might have to be done differently, to open up those who had input on the process and to also not make it have to be unanimous, like it currently is. It read to me like this came from someone frustrated that certain parties were holding up the process and progress on the matter.

Anyway, the people making these decisions are officially scheduled to meet on Jan 10th, but there was indication that a meeting could also happen sooner than that (the Jan 10th one is just guaranteed to happen).

So hopefully these people get their head out of their ass and start pushing a proposal through, otherwise we might not just see no playoff expansion, but even no playoff at all (since the current agreement expires with no back up plan at the moment). That would not be before like 2024 I think, but still.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    We kicked Stanford's ass.
    Right - sorry, tough to keep track of Utah's loses. I mean San Diego State.

We can't really talk about this year yet because we have to see how they do. But prior to this year, SEC teams are 10-3 against non-SEC teams in the CFP. The one year two SEC teams got invited, they both won the semifinal matchups. If SEC teams were getting in because they were overrated, they would be losing those games. My suspicion is the SEC is gonna be 12-3 against non SEC after this year, but we'll see. It's going to be hard to argue bama didn't belong once they smoke Cincy, as I suspect they will once Nick Saban has a month to find holes in their (obviously weaker) roster.

If you go down a tier, the SEC is 7-6 in the other 4 big bowl games, which again, indicates that they're not being invited to too many bowls. Overall, despite having the most games, the SEC also has the highest winning percentage of any conference (unless you want to count the mountain west's 1-0 record). If you eliminate Alabama, they fall from 18-10 to 10-7, which is still a higher percentage than any other conference, and is only one win behind the big 10 for total wins.

- - - Updated - - -

Just looked it up, the spread for Cincy Alabama is 14... wow.
    I think Michigan’s linemen can match Georgia’s, but I guess we’ll see. That’s why Harbaugh was under fire, because he had all that talent, but couldn’t break through until this year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mario Cristobal told his players he is leaving Oregon... before or after he told Phil Knight?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PfeffermintShake View Post
    Mario Cristobal told his players he is leaving Oregon... before or after he told Phil Knight?

You've got a real hard on for Oregon's ties to Phil Knight. It's interesting that you don't know most schools have major donors that back both the school in general and the football program specifically.

Cristobal is headed to Miami - not shocking at all. It would be his dream job, and probably the only school in the country that could lure him away.

5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    Utah scared Mario out of the conference

10+ Year Old Account
    You've got a real hard on for Oregon's ties to Phil Knight. It's interesting that you don't know most schools have major donors that back both the school in general and the football program specifically.

Cristobal is headed to Miami - not shocking at all. It would be his dream job, and probably the only school in the country that could lure him away.
    It's fun watching hipsters get all ruffled when you point out their sugar daddy.

Oregon may take a big swing at its next coach hire.
    One long-time UO administrator told me on Sunday night, “Phil can get the Pope to return his call.”

So i'm wondering, what kind of scheme does the Pope run?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PfeffermintShake View Post
    It's fun watching hipsters get all ruffled when you point out their sugar daddy.

Oregon may take a big swing at its next coach hire.
    One long-time UO administrator told me on Sunday night, “Phil can get the Pope to return his call.”

So i'm wondering, what kind of scheme does the Pope run?
    Knight has been absolutely terrific for Oregon. Do hipsters even watch college football?

The Power I, obviously. The double entendre goes forever.

Great article - thanks for linking that. I hope Oregon goes for the long-term and finds a coach that is coming home.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    I think Michigan’s linemen can match Georgia’s, but I guess we’ll see. That’s why Harbaugh was under fire, because he had all that talent, but couldn’t break through until this year.
    lol

Michigan 2018 class was widely panned as one of the worst classes back then and that's the guys carrying this team right now. There's not been that much talent at Michigan, but there's been a lot of high character players who are nto athletically as talented, but have the grit and smarts to make something of themselves.

On pure scouting pedigree, Georgia, Alabama, OSU and other teams are far beyond what Michigan has.

Recruiting classes pedigree, just for comparison:

2018:

Georgia: #1
    Michigan: #22

2019:

Georgia: #2
    Michigan: #8

2020:

Michigan: #14

2021:

Georgia: #4
    Michigan: #13

On pure talent, Georgia should blow Michigan out of the water. Georgia has been consistently Top 3 on average, while Michigan doesn't even make Top 12.

So no, Michigan has not really gotten "all that talent", but this year unlike other years they have a TEAM, which is something that you can knock Harbaugh for has not been the case to a good enough degree in years past.

5+ Year Old Account
    BYU RB Tyler Algeier and Utah RB Tavion Thomas led the nation in rushing touch downs at 20 a piece.

Britain Covey led the nation in punt return TDs.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    lol

Michigan 2018 class was widely panned as one of the worst classes back then and that's the guys carrying this team right now. There's not been that much talent at Michigan, but there's been a lot of high character players who are nto athletically as talented, but have the grit and smarts to make something of themselves.

On pure scouting pedigree, Georgia, Alabama, OSU and other teams are far beyond what Michigan has.

2018:

2019:

2020:

2021:

On pure talent, Georgia should blow Michigan out of the water. Georgia has been consistently Top 3 on average, while Michigan doesn't even make Top 12.

So no, Michigan has not really gotten "all that talent", but this year unlike other years they have a TEAM, which is something that you can knock Harbaugh for has not been the case to a good enough degree in years past.
    There’s been several times since he’s been there that they’ve had top 10 recruiting classes, and been on par with Ohio State, and they still couldn’t beat them. Even one time where they had the #5 recruiting class.

https://247sports.com/Season/2016-Fo...eTeamRankings/

https://247sports.com/Season/2017-Fo...eTeamRankings/

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Fo...eTeamRankings/

It’s good to see them finally make use of all that talent though. Tired of seeing Ohio State win the Big 10 every year.

Also Hutchinson was their best signee of that 2018 class that you said wasn’t that great; 4 star.

Cade is also a 4 star.
    Last edited by muto; 2021-12-07 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    lol

2018:

2019:

2020:

2021:

I'm hopeful that Michigan makes a game of it, just as a proof of concept that the megateams of recent years can actually be beaten, because there's been little evidence of that in recent times.

5+ Year Old Account
    Right - sorry, tough to keep track of Utah's loses. I mean San Diego State.
    San Diego State was ranked until last week and finished second in the conference, and should be in the PAC-12 anyways