Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Cool Memes Prevail: Devin Nunes to Retire from Congress

Nunes famously lost a defamation lawsuit against two twitter accounts for making "mean memes"!

Rep. Devin Nunes, a controversial San Joaquin Valley Republican and ardent supporter of Donald Trump, is leaving Congress by the end of the month to head a social media company created by the former president. “I will deeply miss being your congressman,” Nunes said in a message to his constituents.

So he goes from part-time propagandist, to full time propagandist.
    Rep. Devin Nunes, a controversial San Joaquin Valley Republican and ardent supporter of Donald Trump, is leaving Congress by the end of the month to head a social media company created by the former president.

“I will deeply miss being your congressman,” Nunes said in a message to his constituents on Monday.

Shortly after he sent the note, the Trump Media & Technology Group announced that Nunes, 48, would be its chief executive officer beginning in January.

“Devin understands that we must stop the liberal media and Big Tech from destroying the freedoms that make America great,” Trump said.

Since he's a fan of losing lawsuits, looks like a great fit already.
    His previous lawsuit against "Devin Nunes Mom" perhaps submitted the funniest piece of courtroom evidence ever.

It's odd, because if the R's took over the house, which they look like they'll do, Nunes would have been chairman of the ways and means committee, and pretty coveted position.

He is taking leave to go take care of his cow. His talking cow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by solinari6 View Post
    It's odd, because if the R's took over the house, which they look like they'll do, Nunes would have been chairman of the ways and means committee, and pretty coveted position.
    So I should expect a million think pieces about why Devin Nunes retiring signals Republicans don't think they can recapture the house, right? Right?

10+ Year Old Account
    And nothing of value was lost.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Russia bullshit aside, This is hardly a good thing, you know right? He knows the worth of Propaganda that a single seat can't reach. Not to mention just going to get replaced by some other far right nutjob.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is TMGT the new NFT?
    Watching online bros throw their money at MLM schemes ....

• I've been digging into Trump's new media company, which is really more a mirage than a company, and one fun fact is that Rep. Marjorie Taylor Green (R-GA) invested 15-50K in the company in October and has already lost at least half her money — and maybe a lot more!
    • Trump's media company, TMTG, has:Heavy check mark No products, Heavy check mark No subscribers, Heavy check mark No revenue, And yet it's currently valued at $1.6 BILLION!
    • Don't worry, TMTG's products are being developed by Billy B, whoever that is.
    • Critically, Trump has structured TMTG so it can make him a ton of money even if it never becomes a real company -- much less a profitable one. TMTG went public by merging w/a SPAC, Digital World.
    • That deal hasn't even closed yet but Digital World went from trading at $10 to $175 per share! It's now down to about $43 but that's still a big increase.
    • Why are shares worth so much? Trump fans have essentially turned it into a meme stock.
    • Trump is exploiting TMTG's status as a meme stock by securing $1 billion more from unnamed investors.
    • The structure suggests these investors are interested in selling very quickly, taking advantage of retail investors willing to pay inflated prices
    • One of these investors is Rep. Marjorie Taylor Green (R-GA).
    • She invested 15-50K in the company in October and has already lost at least half her money — and maybe a lot more!
    • She bought her stock at a price between $70 and $175 per share.

Sounds like a scheme launched by some Tech Bro Nazis from Silicon Valley

Quote Originally Posted by PfeffermintShake View Post
    [*]Don't worry, TMTG's products are being developed by Billy B, whoever that is.
    I say it is Billy Batts. Rumor has it that he only works if someone has their shinebox.

Something stinks here.
    If the gop takes the House he gets the position he's wanted ever since elected. Polls...such as they are, suggest the GOP just might do it.
    ...another variable that we're not aware of yet?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    another variable that we're not aware of yet?
    I mean, always? But it could be as simple as "Nunes thinks this will make him rich".

I'm convinced this is just so he can have a "Safe Space(TM)" where he can't be criticized as an employee of TRUTH Social, so he can take down his other social media accounts.

No fear of a cow being mean to him there, since he's protected by the ToS.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PfeffermintShake View Post
    So I should expect a million think pieces about why Devin Nunes retiring signals Republicans don't think they can recapture the house, right? Right?
    Nope. The GQP will almost certainly take the House. Nunes spot might fall the Dems because of redistricting in CA, but overall, it's practically a done deal. Same with the Senate, although not as much of a certainty.

Nunes left Congress for a $1MM salaried position where he can do far more damage to the United States and the world at large.

10+ Year Old Account
    Too bad Nunes GDRPd his account here. OTherwise we mighta gotten a first-hand take.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    Russia bullshit aside, This is hardly a good thing, you know right? He knows the worth of Propaganda that a single seat can't reach. Not to mention just going to get replaced by some other far right nutjob.
    I'm really not sure how getting a right wing whackjob that behaved incredibly unethically out of our law making part of government is a bad thing. So he'll just to a right wing echo chamber that is likely to fail -- so what? He'll just spread his propaganda to people who would already seek it out anyway.

This is undeniably a positive development for the country.
    Forum badass alert:

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Nope. The GQP will almost certainly take the House. Nunes spot might fall the Dems because of redistricting in CA, but overall, it's practically a done deal. Same with the Senate, although not as much of a certainty.

Nunes left Congress for a $1MM salaried position where he can do far more damage to the United States and the world at large.
    Yes, when I think "do far more damage to the United States," I think of Trump's business success in starting new ventures and history of loyalty to staff when they fail.

He had more power as chair and then ranking member of the House Intelligence Committee.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    I'm really not sure how getting a right wing whackjob that behaved incredibly unethically out of our law making part of government is a bad thing. So he'll just to a right wing echo chamber that is likely to fail -- so what? He'll just spread his propaganda to people who would already seek it out anyway.

This is undeniably a positive development for the country.
    Nobody got him out, he left because he thinks this going to contribute more to what he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    He had more power as chair and then ranking member of the House Intelligence Committee.
    Not really, that's not where the real power for the Republican party lies. It lies with those who control the information, i.e. the conservative media outlets/radio hosts, and increasingly the conservative social media bubbles like the one Trump is trying to get in on.

That's where folks are getting radicalized, yo. Not by watching a House Intelligence Committee hearing on CSPAN.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    Nobody got him out, he left because he thinks this going to contribute more to what he wants.
    ...and? Nunes thinks a lot of things that aren't real.
    Forum badass alert:

Time to get out before people find out some more dirt on him.

He probably arrived too late for an Epstein plane ride. Did he hook up with Matt Gaetztein? Something even more unsavoury?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Time to get out before people find out some more dirt on him.
    He probably arrived too late for an Epstein plane ride. Did he hook up with Matt Gaetztein? Something even more unsavoury?!?
    I suspect something like this.