Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    A dupe-proof way to trade in-game items could be neat but my one issue is entirely on the RL money aspect this could open up. Imagine devs/publishers start auctioning off limited cosmetics in their games. NFTs would cater to only wealthy "whales" at that point.
    That's fine. And likely the case already with many games.

I play BDO, for example, and many of the cosmetics are quite pricey. Same as other games with skins that cost RL$ and so on.

I think it's fine and possibly (maybe not through Ubisoft or EA) more open than existing models.

I would much rather pay the player Koolkat420 $30 for their awesome digital jacket design than Ubisoft for their jacket design.

I do think games have to be seen more as services or platforms in the future. I do not think the actual embedded content will be as important.

We started researching the Metaverse at my workplace. And this Ubisoft thing seems in line with that- from what I read Quartz is their met averse.

There was something similar from another company I heard about where Travis Scott held an in-game concert. I can not remember the game though.

That is the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    In this context, everyone gets to buy a hat. But each hat has a # on it that's unique to "that" hat, even if they're visually identical in every other way. Nobody can really SEE this number without looking closely, but you own that number! And then you can sell it to other players who might want "Helmet #69" for the dank memes.

Yes, it's that stupid.
    Sadly, it's not even that. It's all based on uniqueness and having something noone else can have. It's some kind of extension of modern art market. You can have canvas with a blob of paint and for some reason it's worth millions of dollars, because there's only one original, even though you can easily find ictures of it. And because the name of the artist. Some buy it for the bragging rights, some buy it because they expect it will only grow in value. So NFTs are a step "forward". There's no longer an artist, there's often no art anymore, just a random icon made of few hundreds of pixels attached to it. Or a screenshot of first twit. But it's unique, and for some reason it grows in value.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Is this the new version of horse armor?

AAA Gaming is truley fucked... i don't think there is even one game company around not completly suspended in greed... maybe from software but i am not very... confident that won't change soon.

I hope all these companies complete fail an go bankrupt. Won't happen becuase idiots buy that stuff and gobble it up like a golden turd in the street.

Shooters are devolving in recent years and in a quite rapid pace in the last year. Nearly on par with sports games. P2P MMOs are rather tame if you compare them but i won't hold my breath. Blizz officially started with transmog in the shop. FF14 does that for years.

NFT will come for the big games and soon you see stupid words like "blockchain" and "profit" in the games ads... Horrible horrible horrible.
    Emotional bancrupt. How can anyone be proud of working on games like that?

NFTs are officially my "I'm too old for this shit" moment when it comes to the gaming community. I already didn't care for it much but jesus christ.

There is no humanly possible way that someone can convince me that NFTs aren't just the beanie baby craze of the early 2000s but uglier.

NFTs is so fucking stupid... yet another money laundering scheme that is already prevalent in the Art world, which is no shocker of its existence.

I'm either too old or too dumb (or both) to understand why this makes any sense in a video game.

It's sort of like the dota2 items that you had a chance to receive when watching your team's games at TI that had some sort of flavour text like "x scored a double kill ..", except in a extremely meaningless way right? Like stating "You're the 892nd person to give us free money for this item lol"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    NFTs is so fucking stupid... yet another money laundering scheme that is already prevalent in the Art world, which is no shocker of its existence.
    As an artist I can tell you most of us hate it and feels it does more damage in the long run.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

It's a bit weird: Selling an NFT that can be used in a single game is a bit like selling one glove. The strange thing is that Ubisoft would be in a position to deliver on the so-called promise of NFTs by creating, say, a beanie hat that you could wear in Assassin's Creed and Breakpoint and Riders Republic and For Honor. But that's not what's happening here: yet.
    But why would the companies want that? They'd rather sell you the beanie five times, once in every game.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    T
    I play BDO, for example, and many of the cosmetics are quite pricey. Same as other games with skins that cost RL$ and so on.

I think it's fine and possibly (maybe not through Ubisoft or EA) more open than existing models.

I would much rather pay the player Koolkat420 $30 for their awesome digital jacket design than Ubisoft for their jacket design.
    Again, why would Ubisoft want that? They don't care if Koolkat420 earns money.
    And even if they did, what do you need NFTs for? In Warframe you can buy player-made skins via steam, no need for any tokens. They can sell unique stuff in their games, too, without NFTs.
    The only benefit NFTs would bring is that, after the game died, you could still prove that you own that beanie that no longer exists. Who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    Again, why would Ubisoft want that? They don't care if Koolkat420 earns money.
    And even if they did, what do you need NFTs for? In Warframe you can buy player-made skins via steam, no need for any tokens. They can sell unique stuff in their games, too, without NFTs.
    The only benefit NFTs would bring is that, after the game died, you could still prove that you own that beanie that no longer exists. Who cares?
    It has no practical value. But it's blockchain (is it really in this case?), it's the new craze, so it must be cool and great investment. So people buy like crazy.

I do wonder though - who will be providing support for those blockchains and how will all those splintered little NFTs protect themselves from someone just overtaking them with a surge of computing power?
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

This is pretty much like every steam game you own?

This is where I draw the line. im to old to even bother trying to understand what this shit is. So instead I have decided it looks fucking stupid and by all merits, most people are gonna get fucked by this. Cause even though I dont understand WTF this is supposed to be, I know theres alot of money in it. Most likely, a select few will reap the rewards.

NFTs make perfect sense in a video game with RMT and a cash shop.

It's a gold mine. Spectral tiger is essentially a physical NFT

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    NFTs are officially my "I'm too old for this shit" moment when it comes to the gaming community. I already didn't care for it much but jesus christ.

There is no humanly possible way that someone can convince me that NFTs aren't just the beanie baby craze of the early 2000s but uglier.
    Glad im not alone on this. NFTs is where I draw the line. I dont understand it, why its a thing, why people spend money on it, nothing. Its literally virtual dogshit that people buy. why? No idea, i've even tried to understand it. It the NFTs even "real" ?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post

so its like buying pokemoncards or TCG cards(wow) only its digital? So you can collect these NFTs digital and own them forever? Cant someone just copy it and have it?

Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    Glad im not alone on this. NFTs is where I draw the line. I dont understand it, why its a thing, why people spend money on it, nothing. Its literally virtual dogshit that people buy. why? No idea, i've even tried to understand it. It the NFTs even "real" ?

- - - Updated - - -

so its like buying pokemoncards or TCG cards(wow) only its digital? So you can collect these NFTs digital and own them forever? Cant someone just copy it and have it?
    The only difference is that it's backed by blockchain. So hundreds / thousands computers around the world are "vouching" for the fact that indeed you do own the token. It could as well be vouched by a central server, just like it worked so far. Like with skins / cosmetics in an online game, where the game server keeps info on who has what.
    And because it's blockchain and there's huge boom for crypto it got popular and people think throwing money at it is great investment. And it might be if sufficiently many people believe that.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    In this context, everyone gets to buy a hat. But each hat has a # on it that's unique to "that" hat, even if they're visually identical in every other way. Nobody can really SEE this number without looking closely, but you own that number! And then you can sell it to other players who might want "Helmet #69" for the dank memes.

Yes, it's that stupid.
    So like certificates of authenticity for physical collector's goods?
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Why do they make perfect sense? Who's maintaining the block chain network then? Game owner or is it external to the game? If external, then how is game owner forced to honor it? Spectral tiger is not an NFT - game server creates it and keeps track of who owns it.

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Why do they make perfect sense? Who's maintaining the block chain network then? Game owner or is it external to the game? If external, then how is game owner forced to honor it? Spectral tiger is not an NFT - game server creates it and keeps track of who owns it.
    Whoever they want to maintain the block chain. They can figure it out. If they are smart they'd develop their own. NFTs would be a literal gold mine in wow.

I'm not saying spectral tiger IS an NFT, but it's a good illustration of how the concept is similar. You are buying something relatively unique and limited. Now you could just say 'well, we already have people buying the spectral tiger codes and the system works fine'. And I would agree, but doesn't mean large AAA studios won't go down the NFT path. It's only a matter of time

I mean, NFTs don't provide anything that isn't already being provided, other than essentially a digital 'certificate' that the pixels are uniquely yours. People pay lots of money for that shit

Why? What's so special about it? There were spectral tigers and other similar stuff for years. It hasn't been a gold mine then. Why such craze now?

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    The only difference is that it's backed by blockchain. So hundreds / thousands computers around the world are "vouching" for the fact that indeed you do own the token. It could as well be vouched by a central server, just like it worked so far. Like with skins / cosmetics in an online game, where the game server keeps info on who has what.
    And because it's blockchain and there's huge boom for crypto it got popular and people think throwing money at it is great investment. And it might be if sufficiently many people believe that.
    Allright. But who really makes money of this? Is it all just a big scheme were probably very few gets a big payout? or does it work like normal(can that word even be used here?) trading? I buy a NFT for 100 --> Sell it for 200? Can I even sell it to anyone?

- - - Updated - - -

Whoever they want to maintain the block chain. They can figure it out. If they are smart they'd develop their own. NFTs would be a literal gold mine in wow.

I'm not saying spectral tiger IS an NFT, but it's a good illustration of how the concept is similar. You are buying something relatively unique and limited. Now you could just say 'well, we already have people buying the spectral tiger codes and the system works fine'. And I would agree, but doesn't mean large AAA studios won't go down the NFT path. It's only a matter of time

I mean, NFTs don't provide anything that isn't already being provided, other than essentially a digital 'certificate' that the pixels are uniquely yours. People pay lots of money for that shit
    So its critical in this sense that certain(or all?) NFTs remain limited in number and therefore exclusive? The spectral tiger is not a regular item to own at all in wow so it sells for alot. Just as a random shite pokemoncard holds low value, but the rare ones do. If I own a NFT in AC: valhalla, can I buy it for lets say 100 and sometime down the road sell it for 200?