Thread: Feed on build

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Feed on build

Hello

Haven't really built a computer in almost 10 years now, always ended up with gaming laptops due to work!

Just wanted a second opinion on this before i buy it
    https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/nQ2fK3

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

The memory in that build is wrong. I'm getting CL18 3600mhz. 16gig.
    I sorta ran over budget and figured memory will be the least important for now...

Edit2. Just realized my title got messed up
    Last edited by tomten; 2021-12-11 at 12:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's the point of that CPU and Motherboard, paired with 16GB RAM and midrange video card? Also 850w PSU in 2k21 especially given that CPU? Mehhhhh...

I have no idea why people keep doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    What's the point of that CPU and Motherboard, paired with 16GB RAM and midrange video card? Also 850w PSU in 2k21 especially given that CPU? Mehhhhh...

I came here for criticism and actually learning something, you just saying something negative is only useless.
    Pretty much everyone says there's no point to go above 16gb but as you see, i kinda shorted out on the memory, easy to upgrade later.
    The card, well, it's not exactly easy to finds cards in stock and it's also more then enough for what I do and also something that'll ill upgrade later.
    I went with the 850 as opposed to the 750 to future proof and the price difference was smt like 25 euro lol.

Do you wanna actually add something constructive here?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    What’s the use case for this?
    Play wow 80% and rest some other games. Other then that, i will virtualize some servers at home for work stuff.
    Nothing spectacular at all, i honestly feel the 3060ti is overkill, i was looking at 3070ti but just couldn't justify it really and figured next upgrade in 2-3 years will be highend card anyhow.
    Also the idea is to make it last for about 6-8 years with 2-3 upgrades.
    I'm about 100 euro above budget already so could only really change around stuff, cant really add.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Looks good then. Maybe think about 32GB instead of 16 for the RAM.
    Yeh, i had to cheap out on the memory, will upgrade it later

So given the trend that GPUs get more power hungry every generation and PSUs hold for 10+ years I would totally buy an overkill PSU right now. Costs you like 20 bucks more and gives you even more power efficiancy and headroom for newer parts.

A 5900X with 16GB of RAM and that GPU is weird. Either you need the high end CPU for productivity but then you would probably need at least 32GB RAM or you are just gaming which makes this CPU choice weird but the RAM choice alright.

For Productivity buy more RAM and try to get CL16 RAM.

For gaming get a Ryzen 5 3600, 5600X or an I5 10600K or 12600K and invest the saved money in a better GPU. To be honest pretty much every CPU from the last 3-4 years is fine for gaming. Most games are GPU bottlenecked anyway.

Also the mainboard is rather overkill. Only buy an expensive mainboard if you really need some of the pricey features like BIOS flashback or something.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

I know you're capable of being more helpful man, I do.

This is just a downright mean and unhelpful comment, though.
    @tomten do you already have the graphics card? If you virtualize servers though, I'd say lower your PSU if you can because it's still way overkill, but I would see if you could push towards 32GB of RAM or even maybe 64GB.

How many servers are you virtualizing? What sort of capabilities should they have?

Alright, @Vegas82 covered most of this... but still my last question stands: about the virtualized servers.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account

because according to reputable leaks (and obviously need to be verified when they are announced next year), the expected new 40 series nvidia GPU's will be pulling on average 100 watts more power than their equivalent 30 series counterparts, so going big on a decent PSU allowing you some headroom for upgrading later on (obviously assuming things settle down and supply catches up to demand), it means you don't need to go out and buy a totally new PSU to accommodate the new GPU demands, it's not really that hard to get your head around, just because you're not aware of it and are appearing ignorant of it doesn't mean the rest of us are, also it's well worth the extra expense on a high quality PSU that you know has a good amount of overhead in case you plan to overclock in the future also, stop being so short sighted.
    @tomten, the biggest things i would change with that list is if you can afford the gen 4 SSD, i would ignore western digital and get a sabrent rocket, slightly cheaper cost, but significantly better build quality, and as far as is currently known, sabrent aren't using sub quality parts in their drives whereas WD are, as well as a few other well known brands swapping out premium parts for lesser quality parts without informing consumers and still charging the same or higher prices for the product, after that, with the CPU chosen and motherboard, i would recommend maybe going with a full kit of RAM, with a slightly higher speed, go for an 4x8GB setup at 3400 speed, ryzen prefers faster memory and having more capacity is always a nice thing for a gaming machine, especially if you ever plan to enable resizable BAR at any point, other than that everything else looks fine to me, i just wish you the best of luck trying to find a new 3060TI for less than 1k lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    In case it was not clear, 850w PSU in 2021 is simply too low especially given that CPU.

The very least should be 1kw there.

Other than that, I don't understand why OP even needs that CPU and that motherboard. That's 900 eurobucks spent for hell knows what.

In case it was not clear, 850w PSU in 2021 is simply too low especially given that CPU.

The very least should be 1kw there.
    Is that a troll? That system would need about 550-600 watts. So even a 650w PSU would be fine although you lose a bit of efficiency. 850 watts gives you plenty of headroom.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Nah, i will buy everything new but after first guy responding here I talked with some friends on discord and they were really nice and helpful and explained i've been choosing bit stupid and there's even cheaper and/or better options and I originally wanted intel CPU but "internet" talked me out of it but they said its better for gaming.
    Won't be huge demands or capabilities but basically taking dummy copies off servers from work so I can sandbox them and play around without getting fired

Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    So this is the new setup i'll be going with, fucked budget by another 90 euro but i can eat noodles for a month, np lol...

https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/RZgNJf

That mobo is bit overkill but it was hard to find that Z690 with DDR4 available in stock and it has a huge 80 euro discount, so it ended up being almost same price as the amd board

- - - Updated - - -

Also thanks to everyone helping out and explaining. Really appreciate it

- - - Updated - - -

Thoughts on curved vs uncurved? Been looking at a 32 gaming monitor and also one 34 ultrawide curved. Was going with the ultrawide curved but thinking if i should just make it -+ zero in costs and go for the 32 monitor.
    Last edited by tomten; 2021-12-11 at 02:56 AM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tomten View Post
    Thoughts on curved vs uncurved? Been looking at a 32 gaming monitor and also one 34 ultrawide curved. Was going with the ultrawide curved but thinking if i should just make it -+ zero in costs and go for the 32 monitor.
    Around 32-34 inches, a curve is basically a must. Anyone who is telling you otherwise probably hasn't experienced them. I own a curved 34" and a friend owns a flat 34" and he was regretting the flat fairly early on, but curved had not released yet and by the time it did, he couldn't return his. Curved is a wonderful fix for the fact that your eyes are near the center and anything out at the edges begins to have color issues and gets distorted by the angle.

34 inch ultrawide is also just a really awesome overall gaming and computing experience. I love it for both gaming and for when I do photo editing. It's wonderful.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Around 32-34 inches, a curve is basically a must. Anyone who is telling you otherwise probably hasn't experienced them. I own a curved 34" and a friend owns a flat 34" and he was regretting the flat fairly early on, but curved had not released yet and by the time it did, he couldn't return his. Curved is a wonderful fix for the fact that your eyes are near the center and anything out at the edges begins to have color issues and gets distorted by the angle.

34 inch ultrawide is also just a really awesome overall gaming and computing experience. I love it for both gaming and for when I do photo editing. It's wonderful.
    And what about head movement? Vision field? No issues gaming? I would assume it only gets better but so much conflicting answers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, i will buy everything new but after first guy responding here I talked with some friends on discord and they were really nice and helpful and explained i've been choosing bit stupid and there's even cheaper and/or better options and I originally wanted intel CPU but "internet" talked me out of it but they said its better for gaming.
    Won't be huge demands or capabilities but basically taking dummy copies off servers from work so I can sandbox them and play around without getting fired

So this is the new setup i'll be going with, fucked budget by another 90 euro but i can eat noodles for a month, np lol...

https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/RZgNJf

That mobo is bit overkill but it was hard to find that Z690 with DDR4 available in stock and it has a huge 80 euro discount, so it ended up being almost same price as the amd board

- - - Updated - - -

Also thanks to everyone helping out and explaining. Really appreciate it

- - - Updated - - -

just my personal opinion, if you're only gonna be using a DDR4 Z690 board, then you're wasting your money, the only reason to go Z690 right now is for DDR5, and honestly, even in the most high end benchmark tests for games, the i9 12900k BARELY inches past current gen Ryzen, while using 2-3x more power, the lower down the stack you go the less of an advantage intel has, to the point where intel is relying heavily on things outside of their control to help boost their performance up, furthermore it's unknown whether intel will support Z690 for more than 1 generation following current release (like they have always historically done where it's 2 'generations' then new board required), which makes the Z690 platform (assuming they stick to formula) a dead end platform already, and sure AM4 is at the end of its life cycle now, i would happily take an AMD system on AM4 that use the buggy and costly Z690 platform, not only that but the windows 10 compatibility issues where a whole host of games can't run, and there's no ETA on a fix for them (some are fairly major releases), i would not be advising people to swap to this new hybrid intel garbage any time soon, it's not worth the money right now if you're after a certain budget price point.

just my personal opinion, if you're only gonna be using a DDR4 Z690 board, then you're wasting your money, the only reason to go Z690 right now is for DDR5, and honestly, even in the most high end benchmark tests for games, the i9 12900k BARELY inches past current gen Ryzen, while using 2-3x more power, the lower down the stack you go the less of an advantage intel has, to the point where intel is relying heavily on things outside of their control to help boost their performance up, furthermore it's unknown whether intel will support Z690 for more than 1 generation following current release (like they have always historically done where it's 2 'generations' then new board required), which makes the Z690 platform (assuming they stick to formula) a dead end platform already, and sure AM4 is at the end of its life cycle now, i would happily take an AMD system on AM4 that use the buggy and costly Z690 platform, not only that but the windows 10 compatibility issues where a whole host of games can't run, and there's no ETA on a fix for them (some are fairly major releases), i would not be advising people to swap to this new hybrid intel garbage any time soon, it's not worth the money right now if you're after a certain budget price point.
    Intel only supports 2 per generation as it always has, so not much to do if i want intel? Either wait, be early adopter and pay stupid price?
    Off the two CPU's I listed, the 5900x and the 12700k. Intel sorta shames the 5900x with 15% performance gains?
    Both the intel mobo and CPU is a lot cheaper too. (90 euro cheaper mobo and 50 euro cheaper CPU, 140 euro less is a lot for 15% gains, just saying...)

I really don't see why a mobo would have compatibility issues so it cant run games. First off all, it shouldn't really matter. Anyhow, you're gonna have to provide me source for that claim, because i dont believe it.
    You're also gonna have to explain what you mean by "intel hybrid garbage that no one should buy".

There's also no DDR5 memory to buy in the entire world and doesn't look like its changing, so why would I go for a DDR5 board?
    Also that mobo is best in test by several sources as the "motherboard to judge all other motherboards" in both those series, so bit curious why you hate on it so much?

10+ Year Old Account
    Intel only supports 2 per generation as it always has, so not much to do if i want intel? Either wait, be early adopter and pay stupid price?
    Off the two CPU's I listed, the 5900x and the 12700k. Intel sorta shames the 5900x with 15% performance gains?
    Both the intel mobo and CPU is a lot cheaper too. (90 euro cheaper mobo and 50 euro cheaper CPU, 140 euro less is a lot for 15% gains, just saying...)

I really don't see why a mobo would have compatibility issues so it cant run games. First off all, it shouldn't really matter. Anyhow, you're gonna have to provide me source for that claim, because i dont believe it.
    You're also gonna have to explain what you mean by "intel hybrid garbage that no one should buy".

There's also no DDR5 memory to buy in the entire world and doesn't look like its changing, so why would I go for a DDR5 board?
    Also that mobo is best in test by several sources as the "motherboard to judge all other motherboards" in both those series, so bit curious why you hate on it so much?
    INTEL and Microsoft put out a pretty comprehensive list of games that simply do not function on the latest intel CPUs on windows 10, they simply cannot launch, and even on windows 11 there are some that are still unstable, this is not a 'conspiracy theory' it's a well documented fact, go look up any of the review vids on youtube from all the major techtubers on the subject.

the 12700k was never released to reviewers, and nobody knows what performance it offers relative to AMD, but it's highly unlikely the 12700k would beat a 5900X for the majority of applications, furthermore, the 12900k is not a 15% performance gain over a 5900X it's significantly less over the total avg benchmark tests, the only test that saw that much of a lead was in very specific workloads that i doubt you would be running anyway, i suggest you watch the full review by gamers nexus on the two CPUs that were sent to reviewers.

i don't understand how you can think that a DDR4 z690 board is good value for money when DDR4 is now end of life, and barring a few new super high end product releases to potentially coincide with the upcoming AMD chips with new CCX design, you won't be seeing any new innovations on the DDR4 platform, so if you're looking to the future you're basically just shooting yourself in the foot here.

in regards to the motherboard, you can buy an X570 MSI board for £30 cheaper than the same Z690 board you linked, so dunno where you're looking for the pricing on that one, and if you wanna stick with amazon as your main source of parts, as for CPU, it should be obvious that a 12700k is cheaper than a 5900X, you're comparing the top AMD desktop CPU to the step down from INTEL, if you wanted to do a fair price comparison you should be comparing the 5900% price to the 12900k price which as of writing this post is approximately £220 (260 euros or so) more expensive than the 5900X, and even if you wanted to compare it with the 5950X pricing which is a true 16 core CPU unlike the intel offering, the price on those as of writing is on a price reduction by amazon and is £30 (35 ish euros) cheaper than the 12900k, so again, i don't know if you're just not being very thorough when checking pricing, because if i wanted to use only amazon building the same PC you have listed, it would be cheaper to go AMD than INTEL, by a considerable amount over the entire cost of parts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exkrementor View Post
    Is that a troll? That system would need about 550-600 watts. So even a 650w PSU would be fine although you lose a bit of efficiency. 850 watts gives you plenty of headroom.
    The moment he replaces that 3060 with next gen GPU he will be capped on 850w.

I was forced to upgrade from 750w to 1kw the moment I bought 3080Ti and my CPU is just I7-9700k. And that is despite 750w supposedly being recommended for 3080Ti.

I could get away with 850w... but why? So I'd have same issue again 3 years down the road?

Given my personal experience on that and the said rumored next gen GPUs being even more power hungry, it only makes sense to get 1kw PSU from a get go.

Heck, if he intends to up his game with upcoming GPUs down the road, I'd even get 1.2kw PSU.

850w simply will not cut it there, especially given the power hungry CPU which he intends to OC, because why such expensive motherboard otherwise then?

INTEL and Microsoft put out a pretty comprehensive list of games that simply do not function on the latest intel CPUs on windows 10, they simply cannot launch, and even on windows 11 there are some that are still unstable, this is not a 'conspiracy theory' it's a well documented fact, go look up any of the review vids on youtube from all the major techtubers on the subject.

the 12700k was never released to reviewers, and nobody knows what performance it offers relative to AMD, but it's highly unlikely the 12700k would beat a 5900X for the majority of applications, furthermore, the 12900k is not a 15% performance gain over a 5900X it's significantly less over the total avg benchmark tests, the only test that saw that much of a lead was in very specific workloads that i doubt you would be running anyway, i suggest you watch the full review by gamers nexus on the two CPUs that were sent to reviewers.

i don't understand how you can think that a DDR4 z690 board is good value for money when DDR4 is now end of life, and barring a few new super high end product releases to potentially coincide with the upcoming AMD chips with new CCX design, you won't be seeing any new innovations on the DDR4 platform, so if you're looking to the future you're basically just shooting yourself in the foot here.

in regards to the motherboard, you can buy an X570 MSI board for £30 cheaper than the same Z690 board you linked, so dunno where you're looking for the pricing on that one, and if you wanna stick with amazon as your main source of parts, as for CPU, it should be obvious that a 12700k is cheaper than a 5900X, you're comparing the top AMD desktop CPU to the step down from INTEL, if you wanted to do a fair price comparison you should be comparing the 5900% price to the 12900k price which as of writing this post is approximately £220 (260 euros or so) more expensive than the 5900X, and even if you wanted to compare it with the 5950X pricing which is a true 16 core CPU unlike the intel offering, the price on those as of writing is on a price reduction by amazon and is £30 (35 ish euros) cheaper than the 12900k, so again, i don't know if you're just not being very thorough when checking pricing, because if i wanted to use only amazon building the same PC you have listed, it would be cheaper to go AMD than INTEL, by a considerable amount over the entire cost of parts.
    I read up on it quickly, the issue is not intel lol... Its studios like EA pushing DRM protection, which fucks it up.
    Its already patched on win11 and workaround exists for win10.
    And even if it wasn't, i really don't play any of those shit games and never will. Can't remember last time i even touched an EA game.

I should also note, i dont use amazon for shit lol. It's just that part picker site who links it to amazon.
    And the z690 board costs me 190 euro and is the best according to all reviews i've read. The x570 was 260 euro.

Never really said it was good value, i'm saying:
    1. Never ever be an early adopter, you will just pay premium for no reason.
    2. You can't even buy DDR5 memory if you wanted.
    3. You won't buy any DDR5 memory next year either.
    4. DDR4 is nowhere near end of life, it will be the standard for next years, read reasons above.

I also understand your confusion, i dropped that expensive mobo for this one: MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, which is almost 100 euro cheaper for compared to the tomahawk.

Also. I dont want anything AMD, amd is shit and always have been shit lol.
    Sure, you can argue some benchmarks in a vaccum and ignore power consumption, the cpu burning up, shit drivers and so on.

AMD is a budget brand, always has been and always will be.
    For those young enough that goes "noo, you're wrong", no i'm not, this is history repeating itself again, like it did when AMD first came out like 15-20 years ago... Intel is catching up quickly again and soon AMD is back in the corner being budget brand.
    So if you wanna recommend me smt, recommend intel, i dont care, i want intel
    Last edited by tomten; 2021-12-11 at 05:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I read up on it quickly, the issue is not intel lol... Its studios like EA pushing DRM protection, which fucks it up.
    Its already patched on win11 and workaround exists for win10.
    And even if it wasn't, i really don't play any of those shit games and never will. Can't remember last time i even touched an EA game.

I should also note, i dont use amazon for shit lol. It's just that part picker site who links it to amazon.
    And the z690 board costs me 190 euro and is the best according to all reviews i've read. The x570 was 260 euro.

Never really said it was good value, i'm saying:
    1. Never ever be an early adopter, you will just pay premium for no reason.
    2. You can't even buy DDR5 memory if you wanted.
    3. You won't buy any DDR5 memory next year either.
    4. DDR4 is nowhere near end of life, it will be the standard for next years, read reasons above.

I also understand your confusion, i dropped that expensive mobo for this one: MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, which is almost 100 euro cheaper for compared to the tomahawk.

Also. I dont want anything AMD, amd is shit and always have been shit lol.
    Sure, you can argue some benchmarks in a vaccum and ignore power consumption, the cpu burning up, shit drivers and so on.

AMD is a budget brand, always has been and always will be.
    For those young enough that goes "noo, you're wrong", no i'm not, this is history repeating itself again, like it did when AMD first came out like 15-20 years ago... Intel is catching up quickly again and soon AMD is back in the corner being budget brand.
    So if you wanna recommend me smt, recommend intel, i dont care, i want intel
    to your first point:

i never cared about the game launch issues because i have no desire or interest moving to W11, so i didn't really look too much into the reasoning behind the problems as it doesn't affect me i just know there was issues for reviewers who couldn't benchmark certain games as a result of the issue.

as far as you updating the listing, it obviously wasn't there when i was looking at it so i can only comment on what i saw, hence my initial response.

DDR5 is available from 3 main vendors in stock, you're just gonna need to pay ~£1300 for a full kit (~1700 euros), and once the technology matures and becomes easier to manufacture, it will drop in price and become more widely available.

DDR4 is end of life, there's obviously going to be a transition period for people to move over to the newest platform, but companies who manufacture memory modules have already dropped DDR4 as a worked on technology, it will be produced until the majority move over to DDR5 whenever that will be.

just to correct you on your misinformation, AMD has existed almost as long as INTEL has, which is ~50 years or so at this point, they have been a dominant force in the CPU industry as the primary competition to INTEL for the past 25 years mainly, they used to be seen a budget option to the more expensive INTEL offering because of how over the top INTEL used to charge for their products and the main tool used by AMD was pricing pressure to force sales of their products, and for the last 4 years AMD has been dominating all CPU markets over INTEL, and has basically been dunking on everything INTEL has released in that time frame, AMD went from ~20% market share on desktop devices at the launch of their first generation RYZEN architecture, to now slightly above 50% market share on desktop, that doesn't even look at the server/workstation markets where AMD is the dominant CPU vendor with INTEL scrambling to try and claw back some of the vast market share it lost in that last 4-5 years.

since you have made it abundantly clear you're an INTEL fanboi, the only recommendation i can make for you since you are unwilling or unable to move to the DDR5 platform is buy a Z590 board, and get a 10900k CPU for it, not only will it be significantly cheaper overall, you won't need to worry about the early adoption issues of a 12' series chip, you also won't need to worry about the compatibility issues with potential future releases coming over the next few months.

Hello

Haven't really built a computer in almost 10 years now, always ended up with gaming laptops due to work!

Just wanted a second opinion on this before i buy it
    https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/nQ2fK3

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

The memory in that build is wrong. I'm getting CL18 3600mhz. 16gig.
    I sorta ran over budget and figured memory will be the least important for now...

Edit2. Just realized my title got messed up
    If the 3060ti is overkill for your work and play, then so is the cpu. I would make sure you have a gpu on the way or in your possession before buying the rest of the build.

You could cut back on the cpu and get a lower cost x570 board to make up for anything else you're missing on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    If the 3060ti is overkill for your work and play, then so is the cpu.
    That's not necessarily true. Some games and workloads are CPU heavy, or only work on the CPU.
    WoW, for instance, is heavily CPU bound and doesn't need a very strong GPU