Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    I know you're pissed 9ff but please show me the article where it shows that every car has to pass?
    Article 39.12

39.12 If the clerk of the course considers it safe to do so, and the message "LAPPED CARS MAY NOW OVERTAKE" has been sent to all teams via the official messaging system, any cars that have been lapped by the leader will be required to pass the cars on the lead lap and the safety car.
    This will only apply to cars that were lapped at the time they crossed the Line at the end of the lap during which they crossed the first Safety Car line for the second time after the safety car was deployed.

Having overtaken the cars on the lead lap and the safety car these cars should then proceed around the track at an appropriate speed, without overtaking, and make every effort to take up position at the back of the line of cars behind the safety car. Whilst they are overtaking, and in order to ensure this may be carried out safely, the cars on the lead lap must always stay on the racing line unless deviating from it is unavoidable. Unless the clerk of the course considers the presence of the safety car is still necessary, once the last lapped car has passed the leader the safety car will return to the pits at the end of the following lap.

If the clerk of the course considers track conditions are unsuitable for overtaking the message "OVERTAKING WILL NOT BE PERMITTED" will be sent to all teams via the official messaging system.

Emphasis on the two key parts in bold are mine.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know you're pissed 9ff but please show me the article where it shows that every car has to pass?
    It likely wouldn't have changed the outcome, but they kind of muffed it up.

Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi View Post
    It likely wouldn't have changed the outcome, but they kind of muffed it up.

It would have though, no? They would have had to do another lap and end the race with a safety car?

That was the argument being made on the broadcast: We let cars unlap themselves, but likely need to end with a SC. If we resume racing, we get 1 lap. What we got was a "shit, everyone (some; 5 cars) unlap themselves and SC go into the pits at the same time and let's GO!"

Mercs have lodged 2 official complaints to the FIA. Not that I think it'll do anything though to change the situation
    Last edited by Kallisto; 2021-12-12 at 03:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except the cars overtaking weren't lapped

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Espo View Post
    It would have though, no? They would have had to do another lap and end the race with a safety car?
    This. The race either has cars lapped, in which case Verstappen has to get through traffic with a lap, but fresh tires, or all cars unlapped and we end in a safety car.

- - - Updated - - -

They were, all the cars between Verstappen and Lewis were lapped, and several cars behind Verstappen were also lapped.

Ricciardo, Stroll and Schumacher had all been lapped and werent allowed to overtake.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Mercs have lodged 2 official complaints to the FIA. Not that I think it'll do anything though to change the situation
    Same, FIA cant change anything now it will look awful for them.

They should have unlapped the cars from the start of the safety car, just not at the scene of the incident. Then we would have had the proper order and about 1 lap of racing the same, the mess is them not allowing cars to unlap (which is unusual) and then allowing only some cars to unlap (which isn't in the regulations). At least Red Bull cannot be blamed for this and they followed the rules as they were presented so I don't see how they can fairly have the championship taken away, but under other circumstances (no unlapped cars or finish behind safety car) Lewis would have no doubt won.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    They should have unlapped the cars from the start of the safety car, just not at the scene of the incident. Then we would have had the proper order and about 1 lap of racing the same, the mess is them not allowing cars to unlap (which is unusual) and then allowing only some cars to unlap (which isn't in the regulations). At least Red Bull cannot be blamed for this and they followed the rules as they were presented so I don't see how they can fairly have the championship taken away, but under other circumstances (no unlapped cars or finish behind safety car) Lewis would have no doubt won.
    If it's found to have been against the rules, they didn't fairly win it (not their fault, just the way it's officiated) therefore there's no risk of them fairly having it taken away.

Mind you, I'm a Ferrari fan, I've almost forgotten what a world championship feels like

Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi View Post
    It likely wouldn't have changed the outcome, but they kind of muffed it up.[/img]
    Actually, it would changed the outcome entirely because the race would have ended.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    If it's found to have been against the rules, they didn't fairly win it (not their fault, just the way it's officiated) therefore there's no risk of them fairly having it taken away.

Mind you, I'm a Ferrari fan, I've almost forgotten what a world championship feels like
    Ferrari AND Man Utd? And I thought I had it a bad, at least you enjoyed the late 90s early 00's

Gods, I just realised the last time a Ferrari driver won the world championship was Lewis debut season.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gods, I just realised the last time a Ferrari driver won the world championship was Lewis debut season.
    It was the guy who quit today, Kimi

Happy for Max and on the balance he probably deserved to win, but a frustrating end to it all that ultimately felt very unfair on Merc/Lewis today.

10+ Year Old Account
    And he just retired today, and wasn't even able to finish his race :'( Thanks for everything though Kimi, you're a legend in the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    Same, FIA cant change anything now it will look awful for them.
    I'll be honest, the moment they said "No unlapping." then changing it to "Some of you can unlap" has put the FIA into a shitty situation. I do wonder if Masi just isn't up to the job, I don't think this would have happened under Charlie.

No cars can unlap? Fine
    All cars can unlap when safe? Also fine.
    No cars can unlap, but just a few corners before the safety car comes in the ones between Lewis and Max can which will obviously change the result? Not fine, people looking at the race for the first time will be thinking "Ok so what's the difference between this and pro wrestling?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    Ferrari AND Man Utd? And I thought I had it a bad, at least you enjoyed the late 90s early 00's
    In fairness, Ferrari were *garbage* when I started watching F1. It was '92, I just was in love with the red brand.

The late 90s were good, but yeah the 00's were pretty sensational. Can someone drag Ross Brawn out of his planned retirement please?

I'm not really an anyone fan since Button retired, my guys were Damon Hill, Mika Hakkinen and Button. Now I just watch and my opinion sways with the weekend, I wanted Max to win this championship just if anything for a change. Lewis deserved the win today on merit but like I said Red Bull raced fairly and made really good use of strategy and then followed the directions of the race director, so they are an innocent party in this.

The question is going to be about the race direction and stewarding. It could still go to Lewis if this goes to a court, but I think Max will keep it.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

And he just retired today, and wasn't even able to finish his race :'( Thanks for everything though Kimi, you're a legend in the sport.
    Yeah ;_; I loved Kimi when he was at McLaren, was always hoping he'd knock Schumacher down a peg or two. He's also the only Ferrari divers champion (who won the title after I was born) that I actually liked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Espo View Post

That was the argument being made on the broadcast: We let cars unlap themselves, but likely need to end with a SC. If we resume racing, we get 1 lap. What we got was a "shit, everyone (some; 5 cars) unlap themselves and SC go into the pits at the same time and let's GO!"
    Quote Originally Posted by csguba View Post
    Actually, it would changed the outcome entirely because the race would have ended.
    Ah, true. But rules is rules, and they weren't followed. The complaints from Mercedes probably won't go anywhere, but they and Red Bull did nothing wrong. Such a strange race in an odd season.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi