Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AstroPup View Post
    lol fuckin WoWhead...

https://www.wowhead.com/news/world-o...-racial-325248

"Waaah new lore book is racist!!!!"

And of course comments are disabled cause "You might have a different opinion? We'll have none of that!"
    Oh god, I just wanted to post the literal same thing.

Imaginary pixels can't be racist to other imaginary pixels in an imaginary book cuz it hurts some people, biggest fucking lol in history.

Can we just napalm this planet already?

Sorry, but what exactly does "BIPOC-coded" mean? I am not American.

I think there are a number of people here who really care about lore.

I also think it's cute how everyone thinks lore matters to the current writing team.

WoW has always been Gameplay > Lore.

Now it's: "Are you saying lore says we can't do [thing]? Hold my beer!"

Quote Originally Posted by BaumanKing View Post
    Quick Google got me this:
    https://www.dictionary.com/e/acronyms/bipoc/
    BIPOC is an acronym that stands for Black, Indigenous, and People of Color.
    Also, does anyone have a link where I can still buy this book? I need to get the original before they release the SJW-approved version

Black indigenous people of color. it refers to those two groups.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Feanoro View Post
    Only a matter of time until races are updated to reflect proper woke values, new Blizz fully responds to Twitter mobs' outrage du jour.
    Dude the book was garbage all around. Why are you trying to defend it.

Basically means meant to represent black, indigenous, and people of color. Or in other words, non-white people.

Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    I'd also love to see these people who are mad about 'reinforcing negative, harmful, and racial stereotypes'. Who and where are they?
    The author of the article has literal blue hair. That's all I'll say on the matter

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Basically means meant to represent black, indigenous, and people of color. Or in other words, non-white people.

The author of the article has literal blue hair. That's all I'll say on the matter
    And why does her hair color matter or is this one of those REEEEE I hate sjws post

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sentynel View Post
    Quick Google got me this:
    https://www.dictionary.com/e/acronyms/bipoc/

Also, does anyone have a link where I can still buy this book? I need to get the original before they release the SJW-approved version
    the book got pulled, so its no longer being sold by retailers.

10+ Year Old Account
    So... what were the 'negative, harmful, and racial stereotypes' in the book. anyone know?

But considering the criticism I have seen, I think its more to do with character. There were some complaints about Gazlowe acting too much like Gallywix. So it might be something as minor than that and WoWhead just put out a very click bait article. I have heard there are a few major lore incorrections too and they do circle around race.
    Last edited by Orby; 2021-12-13 at 09:23 AM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    So... what were the 'negative, harmful, and racial stereotypes' in the book. anyone know?
    not wanting to enter in race thing but:

- They made look like the trolls and other races of the horde are illiterate savages, that to learn how to write and write they had to go learn from a Blood elf, clearly, a superior race.

- they Keep pushing the fact that goblins only ever do shit, polluting waters(while no one do anything about it, they just let it happen) and being greedy fuckers who only care about money, while making Gazlowe, someone who was not the typical stereotype goblin, a typical stereotype goblin like the others. And the horde goblin were not supposed to be THAT bad, save Gallywix.

Knowing the horde races are also, based on real world cultures, you can see why people are going over blizzard throats yet again,

i personally, just find bullshit they can't write anything good for the horde, or this game, the author clearly know shit about the horde or was told to write something by someone who don't know, books seems to be awful in worldbuilding, basically returning the stats the world was pre-cataclysm.
    Last edited by Syegfryed; 2021-12-13 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post

But considering the criticism I have seen, I think its more to do with character. There were some complaints about Gazlowe acting too much like Gallywix. So it might be something as minor than that and WoWhead just put out a very click bait article. I have heard there are a few major lore incorrections too and they do circle around race.
    The goblins were described as slimy greedy(I think) and ones who poisoned the water supply. which is an antisemitic trope.

The Troll character is apparently illiterate who doesn't know what erosion is despite being a troll. Given that the trolls were coded from black people in the Afro-Caribbean. Having a character that needed a European coded character to teach them words and how to write rub people the wrong way

«Exploring Azeroth: Kalimdor includes a mention of Goblins poisoning the waters. Well-poisoning is a well-known anti-Semitic stereotype.»

Imagine being so obliviously American you chose to see goblins as a harmeful anti-Semitic stereotype, instead of the obvious parody of greedy American corporatism and consumerism they are.

River poisoning is a thing in many countries and is about reckless productivism.

Quote Originally Posted by DatToffer View Post
    «Exploring Azeroth: Kalimdor includes a mention of Goblins poisoning the waters. Well-poisoning is a well-known anti-Semitic stereotype.»

Imagine being so obliviously American you chose to see goblins as a harmeful anti-Semitic stereotype, instead of the obvious parody of greedy American corporatism and consumerism they are.

River poisoning is a thing in many countries and is about reckless productivism.
    Goblins are portrayed as long nosed individuals who love macaroons and speak in a new jersey accent. New jersey having one of the highest populations of jews in America next to New York.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eillas View Post
    Goblins are portrayed as long nosed individuals who love macaroons and speak in a new jersey accent. New jersey having one of the highest populations of jews in America next to New York.
    This is why I miss the old Goblin accents from Warcraft 2+3.

How is it Blizzard decided to want to make them MORE stereotyped by Cataclysm? :P

that was the most stupid news I ever read on WoWhead, too bad comments are disabled

10+ Year Old Account
    Imagine politicising fictional characters.

This is essentially like that rubbish article from a while back on why Tolkien's orcs were "problematic"

After seeing the comments in this thread can't imagine why wowhead felt the need to disable comments.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Imagine politicising fictional characters.

This is essentially like that rubbish article from a while back on why Tolkien's orcs were "problematic"
    Ahh yes, those orcs Tolkien described as the "repulsive and degraded least lovely mongol-types" can't imagine why that'd be seen as having issues.

Quote Originally Posted by eillas View Post
    Long nose and big ears are just a byproduct of cartoonish chara design, but that accent, that's just playing with fire, lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    - they Keep pushing the fact that goblins only ever do shit, polluting waters(while no one do anything about it, they just let it happen) [...]. And the horde goblin were not supposed to be THAT bad, save Gallywix.
    To be fair, the first thing they did on joining the horde was polute the waters in what's now the Goblin Slums.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thestrawman View Post
    After seeing the comments in this thread can't imagine why wowhead felt the need to disable comments.
    While I agree, I do feel WoWhead should have chosen their titles better, because this whole thing isn't as bad as people will hype it up to be because of that title :P

Quote Originally Posted by DatToffer View Post
    Long nose and big ears are just a byproduct of cartoonish chara design, but that accent, that's just playing with fire, lmao.
    No, they are literally based on Jewish stereotypes. I mean I would agree if Goblins were made to be unique, like Blizzard Orcs are, I still think Blizzard, orcs are one of the best interpretations of orcs because it breaks the mold on what we knew about orcs previous. But Blizzard Goblins are clearly not original. JK Rowling has similar Goblin stereotype.

Its not so much as 'Goblins are the problem' its how they are perceived in media. Having goblins in your fantasy story is not a problem, there are a lot of goblins in fantasy that are fine. There is heavy debate if that folklore about Goblins is rooted in anti-Semitism. I kind of disagree, as many really early goblins are depicted as tricksters and more fairy-like than they are greedy money laundering Jewish stereotype. Its true that some goblins in fantasy have been known to have a love for gold and shiny thing. I believe that it did develop anti-Semitism tropes over time, but its not rooted in it. But it depends on where you decide to go with it.

the whole discussion is great to have though :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2021-12-13 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    I do not like to make my opinion about person basing on apperance... but yeah... i just googled that author and i see her tweets... holy fk.
    Why would Wowhead allow to do that kind of news? Somebody approved this.