Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.politico.com/news/2021/1...mmittee-523712

Trumps lawyer who tried to help him overturn the election. Let's see what Trump has to say about those that plead the Fifth.

I wait for him to publicly announce that he thinks that Eastman is guilty for pleading the Fifth.
    You still have to show up. And either way doesn't get you out of document requests, which it sounded like they also weren't planning on complying with.

“The lack of a ranking minority member makes it impossible for this Committee to comply with clearly applicable House rules on subpoenas and depositions,” he [Charles Burnham, eastman's lawyer] writes.

-

“The Fifth Amendment is there to protect the innocent as well as guilty. You look at the subpoena,” Eastman said on Levin’s podcast, adding that the panel’s subpoena included “29 categories of documents and communications spanning a period of 19 months,” as well as contacts in his contact list.
    We'll see if they comply with that part or not after the deadline I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    You still have to show up. And either way doesn't get you out of document requests, which it sounded like they also weren't planning on complying with.

We'll see if they comply with that part or not after the deadline I guess.
    I mean, Liz Cheney is functionally the ranking member, but the lack of a formal ranking member is purely because McCarthy refused to appoint anyone. Eastman can stuff that up his ass.

I mean, Liz Cheney is functionally the ranking member, but the lack of a formal ranking member is purely because McCarthy refused to appoint anyone. Eastman can stuff that up his ass.
    No disagreement. The point I was making is that they were making a statement about the committee's powers for subpoenas. You can take the 5th without bringing that up and not violate the law. You can't refuse to turn over documents without breaking the law. Trying to glean some insight into whether or not they're going to comply with the document requests.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/1...mmittee-523712

Trumps lawyer who tried to help him overturn the election. Let's see what Trump has to say about those that plead the Fifth.

I wait for him to publicly announce that he thinks that Eastman is guilty for pleading the Fifth.

- - - Updated - - -

https://listen.sdpb.org/crime-courts...-in-rapid-city

And another insurrectionist pinched. Former WA resident that moved to SD, and is the first person from SD charged. Charges are -

Assaulting, resisting or impeding law enforcement.
    Violent and unlawful entry of restricted buildings.
    Obstructing law enforcement during a civil disorder.
    Entry and disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds.
    Does this mean that Trump admits he is a wannabe mob boss, but unlike the mob, he squeals every chance he has?

- - - Updated - - -

This does give a new meaning to McCarthyism. Before it was to have a witch hunt trying to find people who were Communists. Now it is a witch hunt to find people no sufficiently loyal to Trump.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Mark Meadows sues House January 6 committee to block subpoenas.
    and
    Roger Stone becomes the latest to say he'd plead the Fifth to January 6 committee.

Democracy dying in front our eyes. The criminals are delaying as long as possible until the GQP change of guard, and the committee will be disbanded. No law makers held responsible for their treasonous and violent insurrection plans.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1977472.html

Per Donnie Jr., apparently all the text messages are fakes! They're all doctored!

In a few days I imagine we'll be at the, "Yeah, the text messages are legit. But there's nothing illegal about any of it!" phase of this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Mark Meadows sues House January 6 committee to block subpoenas.
    and
    Roger Stone becomes the latest to say he'd plead the Fifth to January 6 committee.

Democracy dying in front our eyes. The criminals are delaying as long as possible until the GQP change of guard, and the committee will be disbanded. No law makers held responsible for their treasonous and violent insurrection plans.
    They still have the better part of a year to try and hold out for that occurrence, and judgements seem to be being passed on their inability to just say “nah, I don’t want to turn things over” far faster than that.

Moreover, if they do find themselves in prison in the next 11 months dissolving they committee won’t automatically get them out of jail. They broke the law, regardless of whether the committee that put them there still exists or not.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2021-12-16 at 10:03 PM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    They still have the better part of a year to try and hold out for that occurrence, and judgements seem to be being passed on their inability to just say “nah, I don’t want to turn things over” far faster than that.

Moreover, if they do find themselves in prison in the next 11 months dissolving they committee won’t automatically get them out of jail. They broke the law, regardless of whether the committee that put them there still exists or not.
    If they find themselves in prison. The judicial system has a lot of rungs - they will attempt to run out the clock by appealing at every level and the present SCOTUS seems to be favourable to such attempts.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/rog...fy-2021-12-17/

Stone showed up to his hearing. And promptly refused to say anything because of the Fifth. Weird that everyone subpoena's seems to be involved in "unrelated" criminal activity?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    https://www.reuters.com/world/us/rog...fy-2021-12-17/

Stone showed up to his hearing. And promptly refused to say anything because of the Fifth. Weird that everyone subpoena's seems to be involved in "unrelated" criminal activity?
    They are just going to push this out until Jan/2023, and then they are in the clear. If the Dems don't start jailing people soon, it's going to be too late.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently assaulting a sworn federal officer, while in the throes of committing a violent insurrection, only gets you five years in jail.

- - - Updated - - -

Judge goes beyond prosecutors' request with sentence for Jan. 6 couple.
    "They didn't just walk through a door. They climbed through a broken window ... they knew full well of the violence that had preceded their entry," Chutkan said. "The fact is that they were part of a mob ... that was intent on stopping the lawful transfer of power."

"It amounted to an attempted overthrow of the government," she added. "I don't believe that's hyperbole."

Brandon Miller was sentenced to 20 days in jail, and Stephanie Miller was sentenced to 14 days.
    And that's what you get from the country of law and order. 20 days in prison for trying to overthrow the government.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Apparently assaulting a sworn federal officer, while in the throes of committing a violent insurrection, only gets you five years in jail.

- - - Updated - - -

Judge goes beyond prosecutors' request with sentence for Jan. 6 couple.

And that's what you get from the country of law and order. 20 days in prison for trying to overthrow the government.
    Just want to note the comparison between these and the black woman who voted in 2016, Crystal Mason, even though she hadn't quite earned back the franchise after her prior conviction; the poll worker told her to fill out a provisional ballot just in case, when she was open about that uncertainty, and for that, she was convicted to five years in prison.

No misrepresentation of her status, she filled out a provisional ballot as she was advised, still convicted and sentenced to five years.

Totally comparable in severity to a violent criminal assault on a federal officer while committing a violent insurrection.

This is why the American justice system is broken.
    Last edited by Endus; 2021-12-17 at 08:05 PM. Reason: added liink to recent-ish article on the case

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Just want to note the comparison between these and the black woman who voted in 2016, Crystal Mason, even though she hadn't quite earned back the franchise after her prior conviction; the poll worker told her to fill out a provisional ballot just in case, when she was open about that uncertainty, and for that, she was convicted to five years in prison.

No misrepresentation of her status, she filled out a provisional ballot as she was advised, still convicted and sentenced to five years.

Totally comparable in severity to a violent criminal assault on a federal officer while committing a violent insurrection.

Fundamentally so. The racial inequities are legion, and seem to never get better.

Worth noting in this - he had initially plead guilty and was looking at 46-57 months.

Problem is, after he plead guilty he set up a fundraiser claiming he threw objects at police "in self defense after being shot with rubber bullets and tear gas". Problem is the video shows that he was shot with rubber bullets after he threw a fire extinguisher (twice), a big piece of wood, and a 5 foot pole.

Judge said she didn't believe he actually accepted responsibility and tossed the initial sentencing, instead agreeing with prosecutors to a longer sentence that was still at the bottom end of the 63-78 months.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

IMO that's not a great comparison since like, yeah you bet your ass violations around voting are going to have serious consequences.

THAT BEING SAID, this is still beyond horse shit. She clearly had no intent to violate the law, didn't know her exact status, and was told to submit a provisional ballot.

Compared to people like Donald Hartle, who intentionally committed voter fraud by voting for his dead wife, and plead guilty with a $2,000 fine and probation. No jail time.

The system is broken, absolutely, but not for the comparison you made.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1978454.html

Man, Meadows phone must have been blowing up nonstop once Trump lost the election!

Rick "I got a D in 'Meats' and don't know what the Department of Energy does" Perry was texting him about strategies to have Republican-controlled states invalidate their results, ignore the Constitution, ignore the voters, and just send their own electors.

Note: Many of the states hadn't even finished calculating votes by this point, and he was already pushing to invalidate final results that hadn't been determined.

This isn't 100% confirmed, CNN is reporting it's Perry that authored the texts but it hasn't been independently corroborated elsewhere from what I've seen.

Looks like the VA for Jimmy Pesto of Bob's Burgers was at the coup. Hasn't been 100% completely confirmed, but many reports from others that know him say he's said he's there and two pictures put him there. He's been "banned" from the show.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

A text to Mark Meadows on November 4, 2020, suggesting some states ignore voters and pick different electors came from Rick Perry, investigators believe https://t.co/9h1efM8nT0
    https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/stat...CpLeQTy6A&s=19

Yeah,not giving Perry any credit here,he is too stupid. Someone borrowed his phone or told him.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/stat...CpLeQTy6A&s=19

Yeah,not giving Perry any credit here,he is too stupid. Someone borrowed his phone or told him.
    But he started wearing glasses of +4 Intelligence!!!
    I don't know where these GOPers are buying them, (or when our realities laws started to bleed into D&D's so they could) but he's not dumb anymore with those glasses!!
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    If they find themselves in prison. The judicial system has a lot of rungs - they will attempt to run out the clock by appealing at every level and the present SCOTUS seems to be favourable to such attempts.
    I can't imagine the contempt charges wouldn't still stand even if congress changes hands in '22. They still committed a crime. This isn't regular contempt where complying generally makes it okay. This is criminal contempt of congress. Almost impossible to get an indictment, but once you have one it doesn't go away. The executive still has motivation to prosecute the case even if the subpoenas are no longer valid: ensuring timely compliance with future congressional subpoenas.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/18/polit...ers/index.html

"Stop the Steal" leader Ali Alexander has handed over to the House Select Committee investigating January 6 thousands of text messages and communication records that include his interactions with members of Congress and former President Donald Trump's inner circle leading up to the riot, according to a court document submitted late Friday night.
    I wonder who's having some heartburn and indigestion tonight.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    Looks like the VA for Jimmy Pesto of Bob's Burgers was at the coup. Hasn't been 100% completely confirmed, but many reports from others that know him say he's said he's there and two pictures put him there. He's been "banned" from the show.
    Maybe he can debate Hugo on the Majority Report.

Why don't people protest in the streets demanding that the Senators and Representatives who were complicit in 1/6 be removed?