Poll: Night elves should get Paladins

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Delas Moonfang is an Elunite Paladin

Paladins as we all know come from different faith's, - so what distinguishes a paladin from a priest must be the precepts of the Paladin Order.

• Act honourably
    • Uphold what is righteous
    • Fight against injustice

they do so as warriors of the light. All priest faiths can tap into the light , although some have other powers like void /death (shadow orders), nature (Loa), or arcane (Elune).

Night elves as Paladins are quite possible.. but they can do so in two ways. As Knights of the Silver Hand Paladin order use of light through Elune - Delas Moonfang is the example as she focused and was drawn most to the Light as a Priestess of Elune (whiles other priestesses of Elune can be and usually are typically more martial orientated or arcane offensive orientated). When she becomes a Paladin, one of her abilities is Seal of Elune. She doesn't lose her faith. And her light affinitiy marks her Holy.

Another incarnation is interpreting paladins as faith warriors - people who fight in battle with faith and using magical abilities.. it's like Battle Mage version of the priest. The night Warrior is a perfect example of this and would qualify as a night elven race based version of the Paladin. This is what the Zandalari paladin is effectively, but as a Loa faith warrior.

Should night elves ever get paladins, it is acceptable for them to have a choice of being a Night warrior skin of the Paladin class or just the plain
    Last edited by ravenmoon; 2021-12-23 at 11:13 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I have no problem with them becoming Paladins personally, but I would only like it if they bring back racial flavor to classes...but I doubt they'll do that.

I mean hell they all but threw out The Blood Knight lore...I was surprised to even seem them represented in the Order Hall lol

I dread the day they add that combination.

Not because I dont like it, but because I dont trust Blizzard to do it right.

They either need white light to show that theyre priests of elune who took up blades, or they need to be unlockable so theyre still rare, or both. And given that they actively removed Blood Knight specific spell effects, I dont think theyll do either. Theyd sooner get a Sunwalker styled subfaction of night elf paladins and just be added to the already oversaturated cast of banners.

The Delas Moonfang quest rewarding Night Elf Paladins as a playable combination would be awesome. A playable class should only be possible, not common, to be playable, but they shouldnt be unlocked across the board. I want to see undead paladins in the game for example, but it woukd diminish them if everyone could pick it right off the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    Paladins as we all know come from different faith's, - so what distinguishes a paladin from a priest must be the precepts of the Paladin Order.

• Act honourably

they do so as warriors of the light. All priest faiths can tap into the light , although some have other powers like void /death (shadow orders), nature (Loa), or arcane (Elune).

Night elves as Paladins are quite possible.. but they can do so in two ways. As Knights of the Silver Hand Paladin order use of light through Elune - Delas Moonfang is the example as she focused and was drawn most tot he Light as a Priestess of Elune (whiles other priestesses can be more martial orientated or arcane offensive orientated). When she becomes a Paladin, one of her abilities is Seal of Elune. She doesn't lose her faith.

Another incarnation is interpreting paladins as faith warriors - people who fight in battle with faith and using magical abilities.. it's like Battle Mage version of the priest. The night Warrior is a perfect example of this and would qualify as a night elven race based version of the Paladin.

Should night elves ever get paladins, it is acceptable for them to have a choice of being a Night warrior skin of the Paladin class or just the plain
    Fascinating idea...but I never thought the human paladin theme was that compatible with kaldorei civilization. Even existing night elf warrior lore is very vague - for example, are most night elf warrior trainers part of the Sentinels?

I don't want the night elves to be forced into a kind of conformity - just because blood elves have paladins, doesn't mean night elves have to get them also, there should be some unique elements to each distinct race and culture, that is what makes them...well, unique, and separate from the original Warcraft races of humans, dwarves and high elves. The "For absolute justice!" theme of the paladin seems to be more suited towards non-kaldorei races, the night elves seemed more balanced, conscientious, and reserved as a whole.
    "You see, there is balance in all things. Wisdom etched in our very fur: Black and white. Darkness and light. When the last emperor hid our land from the rest of the world, he also preserved...our ancient enemy, the mantid. So it is with your Alliance and your Horde. They are not strong despite one another; they are strong BECAUSE of one another. You mistake your greatest strength for weakness. Do you see this?"

10+ Year Old Account
    There was a thread about this a couple of months ago about this. A lot of people didn't like that idea.

EDIT: Found it: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...-Night-Warrior

I like your variation of it better, though.

- - - Updated - - -

This flavor of Paladin looks too good to pass up, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    There was a thread about this a couple of months ago about this. A lot of people didn't like that idea.

- - - Updated - - -

-snip

I have no problem with NE getting paladin, the night warrior is a bit off though. Night warrior is all about vengeance where as traditional paladin is about protecting the weak. Ret themes def have some overlap and would be cool to see some night warrior-esk feels in that particular spec but it doesn't really work with the other 2.

edit: i would love to see the cosmetic growth of the game overall with things like this looking different if they gave NE's paladin. And this is def an easy one to go for on blizzards side

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post

- - - Updated - - -

The problem with a class like that is that it too race-specific and I am not sure if this "class" really exist outside of maybe 1 or 2 characters.
    Pretty sure this whole priestess of the moon stuff is based around being a caster and their toolkit (that we know of from WC3) has been a part of balance druids.

Sunwalkers didnt get any special treatment or flavour so I dont see why night elf paladins would have? Unless they go through all race/class combinatios and sparkle them with racial flavour which sounds like too much work for too little gameplay rewards, I don't see special night elf paladins with unique flavour happening.

I'm up for opening more class/race options, night elf paladins don't sound any more ridicolous than sunwalkers or goblin shamans, but asking for extra stuff on top of that is waste of time and resource. Just give them special mount, and put all the flavour in the lore, no need to clutter gameplay with extra white sparkles because it makes more sense.

You would just open a pandor box with "special night warrior paladin skin" for night elves. If they get cool unique cosmetics, why don't sunwalkers? Why don't zandalari prelates? Why not duskforged dark iron paladins? Why don't undead priests get special cosmetics? Why no special treatments for tidesages aka Kul Tiran shamans? I mean, in a perfect world every class/race could get tons of customisation just for them, but this is ridicolous amount of work for something 90% of players wouldn't even care too much about anyway. Not to mention how salty these who play "normal" version of given class without unqiue flavour would feel about being left with no snowflake treatment.

If class skins of any sort ever happen, they will be available to all races, not just chosen bunch you happen to like, else it's just wasted time and effort. If we get paladin with blue/white/rainbow coloured spells, then every race has to have that option to choose it, not just night elf becuase you happen to play that race and want to feel special.

I'm unsure...

Priestess of Elune are already warriors, in WC3 they used plate armor and a bow. It is only game mechanics that have restricted that fantasy (priests)
    I can accept it as something new... like an order of Elune. That would work and could be a new interesting fantasy. (Also it should not be Night Warrior based)
    I'm just not sure if Night Elfs should co-opt Paladins as well, their other class fantasies are already pretty major in the franchise, especially druids.

I would not want it if it is just a Night Elf that converted to light and is more part of human culture. This really only works with class skins and armor that fit this fantasy.

So sadly my variation is not an option:

Make a Elune based Paladin Order. (that is based on Elunes light not the revenge of the night warrior)
    Last edited by Hellspawn; 2021-12-22 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    The problem with a class like that is that it too race-specific and I am not sure if this "class" really exist outside of maybe 1 or 2 characters.
    Pretty sure this whole priestess of the moon stuff is based around being a caster and their toolkit (that we know of from WC3) has been a part of balance druids.
    That picture is a fan-made class skin. That is, it's supposed to be 100% a paladin, but with different names and effects for their spells.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    any race that can have warriors and priests should also be able to have paladins. We're well past the point of any argument to the contrary making any sense

Quote Originally Posted by KeeperOfTheGarden View Post
    Class skins should have been introduced loooong ago. I know it's a bunch of work, but eh, WoW ain't free-to-play. They're a fucking industry making huge amounts of money each month.

So, yeah, Night Elves could be Paladins if their spells were renamed/reskined, just like Tauren, Zandalari and Blood Elve Paladins should have been.

But then, they would have almost all classes, and I'm not sure that's a good idea.
    This, so much this. Class Skins / Class/Race flavor should have been a thing since vanilla. In a way the Priest Racials were a good step in this direction that was quickly abandoned.

It's not a question of whether Night Elves should get Paladins. I believe they should be "Night Warrior / Elunite" based.

It's whether Blizzard can be bothered to put enough interesting lore behind, so then Night Elves don't become "Purple Human Paladins."

Lets face it - Night Elves would get the best Paladin Saber Mounts. Period.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    I dread the day they add that combination.

Not because I dont like it, but because I dont trust Blizzard to do it right.

They either need white light to show that theyre priests of elune who took up blades, or they need to be unlockable so theyre still rare, or both. And given that they actively removed Blood Knight specific spell effects, I dont think theyll do either. Theyd sooner get a Sunwalker styled subfaction of night elf paladins and just be added to the already oversaturated cast of banners.

The Delas Moonfang quest rewarding Night Elf Paladins as a playable combination would be awesome. A playable class should only be possible, not common, to be playable, but they shouldnt be unlocked across the board. I want to see undead paladins in the game for example, but it woukd diminish them if everyone could pick it right off the bat.
    I mean they could just make Night Elves be able to be paladins without doing anything in regards to colors or lore or anything, really. Most player would welcome new options without requiring a proper "lore reason" for getting that choice.
    Hi

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post

• Act honourably

Night elves as Paladins are quite possible.. but they can do so in two ways. As Knights of the Silver Hand Paladin order use of light through Elune - Delas Moonfang is the example as she focused and was drawn most tot he Light as a Priestess of Elune (whiles other priestesses can be more martial orientated or arcane offensive orientated). When she becomes a Paladin, one of her abilities is Seal of Elune. She doesn't lose her faith.

Another incarnation is interpreting paladins as faith warriors - people who fight in battle with faith and using magical abilities.. it's like Battle Mage version of the priest. The night Warrior is a perfect example of this and would qualify as a night elven race based version of the Paladin.

"Delas Moonfang is an Elunite Paladin"... Yeah we know. What's your point again?

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

For the hundredth time, Night Warriors are not Paladins. They are two different concepts. Like a Loa Priest is not a Shadow Hunter.

Night elf Paladin would be added as a race/class combo, like Delas Moonfang.
    Night Warriors would be added as a class, like Tyrande Whisperwind.

You don't have that as an option in your poll.
    Last edited by username993720; 2021-12-23 at 10:09 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    don't get me wrong, im all up for opening almost all class to all races, and if you can be priest you should be paladin, but this name is awful

night warrior also, isn't a paladin, is a mumbo jambo power up from an entity. they can be paladins by worshiping elune alone.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's not as if they can say "Oh, it would just confuse players". SWTOR does it fine with mirror classes. A sith Asassin and Jedi Shadow have different named abilities AND the spells look different, but do exact same thing. As an example, Asassins have Force Lightning, where as Sahdows have Telekinetic Throw. Same ability damage wise.

https://mmobits.com/2018/08/24/swtor...bility-tables/

There is absolutly no reason Blizzard can't do same shit.

Quote Originally Posted by OwenBurton View Post
    Fascinating idea...but I never thought the human paladin theme was that compatible with kaldorei civilization. Even existing night elf warrior lore is very vague - for example, are most night elf warrior trainers part of the Sentinels?

I don't want the night elves to be forced into a kind of conformity - just because blood elves have paladins, doesn't mean night elves have to get them also, there should be some unique elements to each distinct race and culture, that is what makes them...well, unique, and separate from the original Warcraft races of humans, dwarves and high elves. The "For absolute justice!" theme of the paladin seems to be more suited towards non-kaldorei races, the night elves seemed more balanced, conscientious, and reserved as a whole.
    Totally agreed.

- - - Updated - - -

Loving this conecpt though.

If only they did racial themes for classes.. Moongalive for weapon?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    For the hundredth time, Night Warriors are not Paladins. They are two different concepts. Like a Loa Priest is not a Shadow Hunter.

Night elf Paladin would be added as a race/class combo, like Delas Moonfang.
    Night Warriors would be added as a class, like Tyrande Whisperwind.

You don't have that as an option in your poll.
    While they are not paladins, however, the paladin class can be the template for them, especially if you introduce a new class as a class skin or use existing classes gameplay mechanics for new classes merely changing the theme, spell names and effects.

It is not a paladin of the silver hand technically, but conceptually it is a paladin as a faith based warrior. The Zandalari paladin is an example in game that employs the same concept. It lacks racial Loa themed skin or identity to it @Triceron would agree. Think concept clever man.

On second thought, perhaps I was not entirely correct in my initial assessment. I re-read your post, and I think there is potential for a "night elf paladin", in the style of a kaldorei-styled class, although I am not sure if Night Warrior (which seems to be unique and very dangerous even for someone as powerful as Tyrande) would honestly be the most realistic fit.

I just think night elves becoming "Silver Hand" paladins, joining a human-centric organization like Delas Moonfang would be somewhat lore-breaking, as they had very prior little interest in the Light, and we have no idea what connection Elune has with the Light itself, even now. It would be like if Elune had been revealed to have been a naaru.

Another problem, my friend, is that there are many classes which do not correlate to the playable ones. For example, Wardens seem to span a wide variety of class abilities, as does Priestess of the Moon. The night elf "huntress" class, wielding moonglaives (which seem available only to demon hunters in-game) is akin to a tank or mounted warrior, not exactly an elven ranger class.

And I never felt comfortable with night elves playable priests and priestesses not being able to use Starfall or Arcane abilities like Tyrande, and forced to use the same Light animations and abilities as human and dwarf priests. I really think they should have kept some of the class-specific abilities for the priests, they made things more immersive and interesting, like an extra unique bonus perk. The same goes for the Shadow Hunters in the trolls, they are also not exactly similar to regular hunters.
    Last edited by OwenBurton; 2021-12-24 at 07:37 PM.
    "You see, there is balance in all things. Wisdom etched in our very fur: Black and white. Darkness and light. When the last emperor hid our land from the rest of the world, he also preserved...our ancient enemy, the mantid. So it is with your Alliance and your Horde. They are not strong despite one another; they are strong BECAUSE of one another. You mistake your greatest strength for weakness. Do you see this?"