Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    It blew up.The DL was at 78% , I left the room and when I came back it was at 51% before terminating with this windows10 error code 0x80070003 0xa001B. I am beginning to get a bad feeling.
    Last edited by JDL49; 2021-12-22 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JDL49 View Post
    Hokay I finally dl'd the exe file and started running it on my SIL's computer. It started creating a system. The problem was there was nothing clearly indicating that what was being created was limited to that flash drive so I aborted. I was afraid of screwing up her system. Is this how its supposed to work or was I being over cautious ?
    Massively overcautious.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Massively overcautious.
    True but I finally played thru and commenced making the installation media. Sadly
    that effort abended. (see above)

Sooo.. just try again.

Plug in Thumb Drive
    Run Media Creation Tool
    Select the Thumb Drive when it asks what to do (create an .iso, or create a USB installer).
    Let it run. It usually takes like.. maybe 5 minutes start to finish for me and i dont exactly have blisteringly fast internet (125Mbps/20Mbps).

Sooo.. just try again.

Plug in Thumb Drive
    Run Media Creation Tool
    Select the Thumb Drive when it asks what to do (create an .iso, or create a USB installer).
    Let it run. It usually takes like.. maybe 5 minutes start to finish for me and i dont exactly have blisteringly fast internet (125Mbps/20Mbps).
    It took over an hour before it tanked. But the connection was about 50 Mbps if I had to guess.

It took over an hour before it tanked. But the connection was about 50 Mbps if I had to guess.
    It should still take ... minutes. Its only a 4.5GB download or so. A 50Mb connection is still 370MB/minute. Download shouldn't have taken more than 15 minutes.

If it took an hour, then something is terribly wrong with her internet. (like, her machine isnt getting a good connection if its on WiFi or something is pooched at the router level).

OK it's made. It isn't working right but I got it on the flash drive (see below). The down load hit 100% after 45 minutes and immediately started a second pass. That ended after 20 minutes. This time the finish button showed up, I clicked and was done. As for speed two things. It may have been 25 Mbps and the connection on her laptop was probably usb 2.0.

I've run the install three times. The first time it crashed on the pin # page, the second time, on the very next page which has 7 yes/no questions. The third try I ran startup repairs which skipped me to the email and pw section. This time I skipped the yes/no
    questions and.................IT WORKED !!!!!!

The flakiness is irritating but a win is a win and I'm shutting down now to reconnect my drives. Ho, Ho, Ho everyone.
    Last edited by JDL49; 2021-12-23 at 12:32 AM.

OK it's made. It isn't working right but I got it on the flash drive (see below). The down load hit 100% after 45 minutes and immediately started a second pass. That ended after 20 minutes. This time the finish button showed up, I clicked and was done. As for speed two things. It may have been 25 Mbps and the connection on her laptop was probably usb 2.0.

I've run the install three times. The first time it crashed on the pin # page, the second time, on the very next page which has 7 yes/no questions. The third try I ran startup repairs which skipped me to the email and pw section. This time I skipped the yes/no
    questions and.................IT WORKED !!!!!!

The flakiness is irritating but a win is a win and I'm shutting down now to reconnect my drives. Ho, Ho, Ho everyone.
    Behaviour like that leads me to believe theres probably some other issue with your machine, as well. I cant hazard a guess as to what, but the installer shouldnt randomly crash. Its a pretty lightweight app/OS. Hopefully everything keeps working good.

Behaviour like that leads me to believe theres probably some other issue with your machine, as well. I cant hazard a guess as to what, but the installer shouldnt randomly crash. Its a pretty lightweight app/OS. Hopefully everything keeps working good.
    It's not random exactly. It's in the section right after the pin selection, the first two pages. Skip those and life is fine. For a bit. You see after WoW whined about my 3D accelerator driver I tried to update my AMD drivers and crashed. I probably should avoid those for a while.

- - - Updated - - -

It looks like you are prescient. It crashes when loading the video drivers. WoW won't run because I supposedly don't have sufficient 3D Acceleration in my card which is bull since it worked two months ago. So it's either the card or the MB imo. Damn.
    Last edited by JDL49; 2021-12-23 at 09:39 AM.

What GPU do you have?

What GPU do you have?
    Sapphire Radeon RX 5500XT. Paid $250 a year ago. These days it goes for at least twice that, IF you can find one. In the over 35 years since my first 286 I have never had a part fail this soon. I'm starting to think those extended warranties on video cards might be a good move.

Sapphire Radeon RX 5500XT. Paid $250 a year ago. These days it goes for at least twice that, IF you can find one. In the over 35 years since my first 286 I have never had a part fail this soon. I'm starting to think those extended warranties on video cards might be a good move.
    Unlikely that it is failing. What is the rest of the rig?

10+ Year Old Account
    It crashes when loading the video drivers. WoW won't run because I supposedly don't have sufficient 3D Acceleration in my card
    Did the system crash or did wow simpyl not run because of no 3d acceleration?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Unlikely that it is failing. What is the rest of the rig?

MB: B450 TOMAHAWK MAX (Oct 2020 Replacement)
    RAM: 16 GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM (Aug 2018 Original Equipment)"
    CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1500X Quad-Core Processor (Aug 2018 Original Equipment)
    SSD - WD 500 GB Blue M.2 2280 (Dec 2021 Replacement)

*checked out as OK with Windows Memory Diagnostic (2 passes)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Did the system crash or did wow simpyl not run because of no 3d acceleration?
    Both actually. I dl'd WoW and got that error msg. Later I dl'd the correct new video drivers and the system crashed during installation.

- - - Updated - - -

I just started up with the RX 390 2gb replacement card. WoW started. So it appears that the RX 5500 XT has issues. I think. Lets face it it's computers and it's never as easy as you think it looks.

IIRC, the R9 390 is so old it doesnt use the newer Adrenaline driver suite. My fear is that since there were issues with your OS install, its causing issues with the Adrenaline driver install, or something.

Consider doing a refresh in place (https://www.windowscentral.com/how-u...all-windows-10) which is similar to a clean install and will fix any serious issues with corrupted or out of place files, and then do a manual install of the most recent Adrenaline drivers (dont let it auto detect your hardware, manually choose the correct one to download). See if that fixes it.

And if you can, just to b safe, make a bootable MemTest thumb drive and let it torture test the RAM for a few hours. Since you list the motherboard as a replacement, im assuming the old one failed somehow. It could have damaged the RAM when it went, and sometimes, itll be just fine until it has to write something to that one damaged spot, and then itll pack it in and crash the system. That could causemissues with a driver install if it is unpacking the data into a compromised sector of RAM.

Also, if its an mATX or Full ATX board, try putting the card in a different PCIe slot. Then slot may be wonky, and the R9 might not reveal that because it isnt using nearly the same bandwidth.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2021-12-24 at 02:26 AM.

IIRC, the R9 390 is so old it doesnt use the newer Adrenaline driver suite. My fear is that since there were issues with your OS install, its causing issues with the Adrenaline driver install, or something.

Consider doing a refresh in place (https://www.windowscentral.com/how-u...all-windows-10) which is similar to a clean install and will fix any serious issues with corrupted or out of place files, and then do a manual install of the most recent Adrenaline drivers (dont let it auto detect your hardware, manually choose the correct one to download). See if that fixes it.

And if you can, just to b safe, make a bootable MemTest thumb drive and let it torture test the RAM for a few hours. Since you list the motherboard as a replacement, im assuming the old one failed somehow. It could have damaged the RAM when it went, and sometimes, itll be just fine until it has to write something to that one damaged spot, and then itll pack it in and crash the system. That could cause issues with a driver install if it is unpacking the data into a compromised sector of RAM.

Also, if its an mATX or Full ATX board, try putting the card in a different PCIe slot. Then slot may be wonky, and the R9 might not reveal that because it isnt using nearly the same bandwidth.
    1) I'll try the refresh in place tomorrow and the MemT tonite. There is a copy of the MemTest on the Windows recovery disk.

2) There is a second VC slot but I'll wait on that until I get caught up on some things. But it's a good idea and need to be checked out.

3) The old MB wasn't necessarily bad. It's just that I had had two heat type failures at the same time and I just couldn't afford to take a chance on that MB given the cost of VC's. I also was not expecting that my build would be out of date as soon as my builder is intimating. One reason I upgraded from a 250 board to a 450 one was I was contemplating the idea of a CPU upgrade in mid life which I thought would be 6 years total before a complete new build. Oops.

1) I'll try the refresh in place tomorrow and the MemT tonite. There is a copy of the MemTest on the Windows recovery disk.

2) There is a second VC slot but I'll wait on that until I get caught up on some things. But it's a good idea and need to be checked out.

3) The old MB wasn't necessarily bad. It's just that I had had two heat type failures at the same time and I just couldn't afford to take a chance on that MB given the cost of VC's. I also was not expecting that my build would be out of date as soon as my builder is intimating. One reason I upgraded from a 250 board to a 450 one was I was contemplating the idea of a CPU upgrade in mid life which I thought would be 6 years total before a complete new build. Oops.
    Theres nothing wrong with your current rig, at least on paper. The 1500X isnt th best CPU in the world but it can game just fine and will be able to do so for years. And if younhave the cash within the next few months, you could drop a 5600G in there for around 200$ (new) and be fine for years to come. Just because there is newer tech out doesnt mean games or software will require them any time soon. Remember that games need to sell lots of copies to make money - they cant make games require brand new hardware to run well. Games still run OK at 1080p on 10 year old i7 2600K’s (when paired with a modernish GPU, of course).

There's nothing wrong with your current rig, at least on paper. The 1500X isn't the best CPU in the world but it can game just fine and will be able to do so for years. And if you have the cash within the next few months, you could drop a 5600G in there for around 200$ (new) and be fine for years to come. Just because there is newer tech out doesn't mean games or software will require them any time soon. Remember that games need to sell lots of copies to make money - they cant make games require brand new hardware to run well. Games still run OK at 1080p on 10 year old i7 2600K’s (when paired with a modernish GPU, of course).
    You have my attention with the 5600G. I really can't see much difference past 1080p anyway and I really like what that seems to promise. And that RX 390 is actually handling what I'm doing in WoW to my surprise. I don't raid but it didn't slow down and get choppy on the 5 World bosses I've killed tonight (5 different alts). So I should be OK for a few months.

That said do you really see that much of a price drop ? the 5600G is selling for about $260 from a quick glance on line.

I do forsee a drop. intel is about to launch the i5 12400 at a likely 229$… AMD will have to cut the 5600G and X down to compete.

I would like to upgrade my Windows 10 to 11. Is this possible? Can you please help me here?