10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    I can't speak for other tanks, but as a Warrior I was just fine with it. I admit I had to use my cooldowns liberally, but I'd be doing that even with a healer anyway.
    To be blunt: WAR's self healing is rather OP right now. From a healer PoV, the difference to the other tanks is friggin hilarious.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't speak for other tanks, but as a Warrior I was just fine with it. I admit I had to use my cooldowns liberally, but I'd be doing that even with a healer anyway.

Due to getting a flat 400 Potency heal for every mob you hit with an AoE, uncapped AoE and Bloodwhetting being on a short cooldown with a reasonably high duration means you can get away with pretty much anything as a Warrior. Bloodwhetting is broken right now, it's got an 8 second duration with a 25 sec cooldown which means it's up about a third of the time and on a big AoE pull it's practically an instant full heal and prevents everything but one shots for the duration. The more mobs you tank, the more you self heal and it scales linearly to infinity.

The biggest danger was I'd dip quite low when I was tanking too few mobs to get enough healing. I didn't actually die due to Holmgang, but it was a close thing in places.

Is the Warrior an outlier? Perhaps, I've not had chance to try the other tanks yet. It definately seems to be very powerful right now - Too powerful in fact. I'm expecting some nerfs in the pipeline already.
    Warriors are so insanely broken in four man content right now it's not even funny. They likely won't nerf it because Square typically doesn't balance around four man content, warriors have been soloing four man stuff since like Stormblood, and we need tanks for the roulette, so if there's a brain-dead broken tank then more people would be willing to play it in that content.

In Extremes, warriors are middle of the pack. Not the highest damage, and their self sustain is down to normal levels because no wall to wall pulls, I'd take a DRK over a War any day for EXs right now.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Can't imagine balancing for 4 man content unless they actually had more difficult light party content. Most extremes and savage content has barely any additional mobs, so I doubt it would be a balance issue.

My DRK can wall to wall any EW content and I don't think I have died except when the healer has literally fallen asleep and hasn't healed me in nearly 10 seconds. Other than that I suppose it could happen if your DPS just didn't do anything and took an eternity to kill stuff.

Despite tanking feeling mostly like alternate melee DPS in this game to me, a lot of people still don't do it. Tank queues are still the most common in the roulettes, and PF groups are usually looking for healers/tanks pretty evenly. I will say that moving non-stationary bosses around in this game sucks and feels super janky.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    To be blunt: WAR's self healing is rather OP right now. From a healer PoV, the difference to the other tanks is friggin hilarious.
    This is so true right now. I instantly become a dps when I see I'm with a warrior. They are so insane right now, both with survivability and damage. On the opposite end, how have you fared with Paladin tanks? Either they are in a poor spot right now or I've just been paired with some shit tanks cause I have only had issues healing some of them.

Healing on my Sage lately (Got my Dragoon to 90 first and now I'm working on gearing up my Sage with 570) I've noticed I don't have much of an issue except with Gunblades. I'm don't have one leveled so I'm not sure how good or bad they are right now, but it's the only tank that I feel I have to actively babysit or else they die in about 5 seconds.
    Last edited by Drindorai; 2021-12-26 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    This is so true right now. I instantly become a dps when I see I'm with a warrior. They are so insane right now, both with survivability and damage. On the opposite end, how have you fared with Paladin tanks? Either they are in a poor spot right now or I've just been paired with some shit tanks cause I have only had issues healing some of them.
    PLDs are pretty damn sturdy as long as they use their ressources well.
    And to be fair, WARs aren't *that* much better than the rest, they're just exceptionally easy to play (always have been, but now more than ever) so every random pug can figure out how to survive everything as a Warrior

Got Reaper to 80 a few hours ago.

It feels weird how Reaper has such more mobility than the Dragoon that promises to be a high flying class fantasy. Probably because Reaper has its dash on a 20 second cooldown (and can also immediately teleport back to its starting position). The dash does not deal damage, so you don't work it into your rotation and spam it on cooldown, instead saving it for when you need it. So you can dash anytime. Whereas with Dragoon, sure you have 2 jumps that take you to the target and a backflip, but the jumps deal damage so you're incentivized to use them everytime they come off of CD, and they very long CDs. Furthermore, you can only dash to an enemy target (whereas with the Reaper's blink you don't need a target), so you can never jump when you need to do so for mobility. That just leaves you with the backflip that is on the 30 second cooldown. The backflip travels slower than the Reaper's dash (on top of the input delay), and doesn't allow you to immediately move back like the Reaper can.

I think reaper is kinda weird in many ways. It's more mobile than dragoon, which is only weird because it imho doesn't fit at all into the armor class of dragoon. Dragoon is in the light plate category pretty much, but reaper fantasy is running around in cloth/leather playing the Grim Reaper. Imho it should have gone towards ninja if they really wanted to share a niche.

Sooo.. only 5 to go for me, 3 tanks and 2 ranged p.dps. Guess I'll finally bite it and do dancer next. I don't think I can stomach MCH any time soon. I'm also wondering if I should save warrior for last or if I should do it while it's as broken as it is, I could probably aoe solo grind fates with the selfhealing..
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2021-12-26 at 08:13 AM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    In Extremes, warriors are middle of the pack. Not the highest damage, and their self sustain is down to normal levels because no wall to wall pulls, I'd take a DRK over a War any day for EXs right now.
    No arguements there. Warriors are fantastic at handling lots of small hits, where Dark Knights are better at dealing with tank busters. One of those things are a lot more common in high end content than the other.

The only other area that the Warrior really shines at is burst damage. When you want something to die right now a Warrior can push a lot more damage onto it in a short space of time than other tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    And to be fair, WARs aren't *that* much better than the rest, they're just exceptionally easy to play (always have been, but now more than ever) so every random pug can figure out how to survive everything as a Warrior
    I'd not say they're any easier than other tanks, but they do require a different mindset. Other tanks want to mitigate damage as much as possible, Warriors want to have their HP dip so they can heal it back up. Waririors are reactive, while other tanks are proactive. They have fewer buttons, but difficulty isn't measured in abilities.

They're all basic when it comes down to it.

Either they are in a poor spot right now or I've just been paired with some shit tanks cause I have only had issues healing some of them.
    I've had a few issues with Paladins. Not so much due to the class itself, but the people playing them making all kinds of rookie mistakes. Like turning their back to mobs during Sheltron and then wondering why they're getting pasted. I even had one who was running in circles trying to kite mobs while casting Clemancy on themselves.

As much as I hate jittery healers when I'm tanking, I also hate panicky tanks when I heal. Just chill, I've my finger over Benediction and I'm waiting for the right time to use it.

Found my old Makai healer gear from when i did Astro pvp back in like Heavensward or whenever so decided to play some PVP as Sage and see how that is and boy is that fun but wierd. It feels like Dancer pvp but for healing. Still not the indestructible in 1v1 absolute heal wall that is White Mage that runs like a cataclysm era prot pally in pvp but it feels like its healing is a bit weaker but its damage is more substantial. Pretty fun overall.

Also i've noticed as the pvp revamp is generating interest after the stormblood changes nuked pvp for many theres a meta of sorts where people are queing as summon but going in to heal. Wonder if thats just because of how summoner changes made them near constant instant casts?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drindorai View Post
    Healing on my Sage lately (Got my Dragoon to 90 first and now I'm working on gearing up my Sage with 570) I've noticed I don't have much of an issue except with Gunblades. I'm don't have one leveled so I'm not sure how good or bad they are right now, but it's the only tank that I feel I have to actively babysit or else they die in about 5 seconds.
    Its pretty common right now to hear complaints about sage and gunbreaker match ups in roullettes. Seems like the gunbreaker mitigation and the sage shields don't compliment each other. From what i've seen roughly it seems to suggest the optimal pair ups are:
    -Sage and Warrior
    -White Mage and Gunbreaker
    -Scholar and Paladin
    -Astrologian and Dark Knight
    Last edited by dope_danny; 2021-12-26 at 01:42 PM.

Well I also have an Astro and Scholar at EW levels and again I'm only having issues with Gunblades.

Normally I'm not one to jump to, "This job isn't as good as the other jobs in its type" but I know how to play my healers well. It's the #1 thing I do besides my Dragoon. And, as I said, it's only with Gunblades that I'm finding a problem.

I've had a few issues with Paladins. Not so much due to the class itself, but the people playing them making all kinds of rookie mistakes. Like turning their back to mobs during Sheltron and then wondering why they're getting pasted. I even had one who was running in circles trying to kite mobs while casting Clemancy on themselves.
    Weird, I'm not playing tanks like you.... but I'm like 100% certain there is no such thing as facing the target (anymore?) for block/parry or even dodge.
    You can also autoattack enemies while not looking at them.

10+ Year Old Account
    ^^ this is correct. This isn't like WoW, mobs can hit you from any direction and it makes 0 difference to how much damage you take.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    ^^ this is correct. This isn't like WoW, mobs can hit you from any direction and it makes 0 difference to how much damage you take.
    Kinda weird given the existence of positionals and our characters having them as well as indicated by the target marker.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Felis igneus View Post
    Kinda weird given the existence of positionals and our characters having them as well as indicated by the target marker.
    I took a look after mentioning it and it changed with 4.0.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    I took a look after mentioning it and it changed with 4.0.
    Makes sense I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Just saw some player sitting on a ledge.. since I can't find anything about it I take it that it is some mod?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felis igneus View Post
    Makes sense I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Just saw some player sitting on a ledge.. since I can't find anything about it I take it that it is some mod?
    Yeah it's a mod. Some people are bold and do it on the marketboard in Sharlayan.

10+ Year Old Account
    how have you fared with Paladin tanks?
    Insufficient sample size to form any conclusions.

Only remember my buddy going in as a GNB and I had to heal like crazy.
    I know he's a competent tank, so it was not the player's fault either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Yeah it's a mod. Some people are bold and do it on the marketboard in Sharlayan.
    How would a mod from a player affect my client?

The only ledge sitting I know of are NPCs and a story cutscene.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Insufficient sample size to form any conclusions.

Only remember my buddy going in as a GNB and I had to heal like crazy.
    I know he's a competent tank, so it was not the player's fault either.

- - - Updated - - -

How would a mod from a player affect my client?

The only ledge sitting I know of are NPCs and a story cutscene.
    Not really sure, but I've heard about such mods and some people in my static were talking about it the other day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Found my old Makai healer gear from when i did Astro pvp back in like Heavensward or whenever so decided to play some PVP as Sage and see how that is and boy is that fun but wierd. It feels like Dancer pvp but for healing. Still not the indestructible in 1v1 absolute heal wall that is White Mage that runs like a cataclysm era prot pally in pvp but it feels like its healing is a bit weaker but its damage is more substantial. Pretty fun overall.

Also i've noticed as the pvp revamp is generating interest after the stormblood changes nuked pvp for many theres a meta of sorts where people are queing as summon but going in to heal. Wonder if thats just because of how summoner changes made them near constant instant casts?

- - - Updated - - -

Its pretty common right now to hear complaints about sage and gunbreaker match ups in roullettes. Seems like the gunbreaker mitigation and the sage shields don't compliment each other. From what i've seen roughly it seems to suggest the optimal pair ups are:
    -Sage and Warrior
    -White Mage and Gunbreaker
    -Scholar and Paladin
    -Astrologian and Dark Knight
    Sample size and individual skill i think...

As a Warrior i dont care who heals me in expert - I'M THE HEALER NOW!

Playing as a Whitemage i had the best experiences with a GNB and worst with DRK.

But the reason is simple: The GNB is my buddy who has mained the job for 3 years and i play with him for 10+ years - i toss 1 or 2 heals at him and that's it.

But again - its a sample size thing. GNB/WAR and PLD feel much more impacted by the individual than the job tbh (i healed by now about 60 experts - about half with buddies, the other random). DRK on the other hand - just sucks for me (but then again i healed only about 5 of them by now)