Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    24 = Christmas eve.

What a horrible way to torture the kids... Just send them off to bed after celebrating Christmas, but no presents???
    I feel like you are confusing a lot of things.

1) Blizzard isn't delaying the gifts until after Christmas. Christmas is on December 25th which is when they become active in each region. December 24th (which seems to be what you are referring to) isn't when people open up presents typically, or at least in the US which is what Blizzard bases it off of. Post reference.

2) 24 = Christmas Eve. Correct, which has nothing to do with presents, that is December 25th.

3) "torture the kids... Just send them off to bed after celebrating Christmas, but no presents"

What does that mean? Kids go to bed on December 24th (Christmas Eve), then wake up on Christmas morning and unwrap gifts (December 2th). How are they going to bed after celebrating Christmas with no gifts if they open gifts on Christmas morning? Maybe in some parts of the world they open it on the "eve', but the typical tradition of Christmas is to open them on Christmas Day. Do you start all your New Year Resolutions on New Year's Eve too?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    in what places in the world do people open gifts on the 24th?

both in the US and atleast most of the EU people open gifts the morning of the 25th.
    where in the world is it that people open the gifts the night of the 24th?
    I do believe this is incorrect, most of EU celebrate on the 24th.

Personally I don't understand it myself, Christmas Eve = 24th, Christmas Day = 25th. My childhood was spent in England where we opened presents on morning of the 25th.

It's like celebrating your birthday a day before your birthday...

both in the US and atleast most of the EU people open gifts the morning of the 25th.
    Most of the Europe are opening their gifts on the 24th.

The so called "Christmas" is the 24th in the evening, not that silly 25th morning thing You got going over there on the other side of the Atlantic.
    Here in Scandinavia we call it "Jul".

I would like to point out that Christmas / Jul was invented long before we (the Europeans) populated the Americas.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelle View Post
    The so called "Christmas" is the 24th in the evening, not that silly 25th morning thing You got going over there on the other side of the Atlantic.

I would like to point out that Christmas / Jul was invented long before we (the Europeans) populated the Americas.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas

According to Wikipedia, Christmas for Western Christianity and part of the Eastern churches is the 25th. There is no mention of it ever being the 24th before Europeans populated the Americas.

As a dutch person, presents are always done the evening of the 24th, First xmas day you usually spend with one side of your family, second xmas day with the others...

7+ Year Old Account

Most of Europe do, including the Nordics/Scandinavia, East Europe and the Germanic countries. Also most of the Roman Catholic ones do as well, but usually right after midnight to the 25th, not in the morning. You can ofc find outliers but the 24th is actually more common than the British/US way.

In Norway it's common to open presents after dinner and if there are children present there is also often a santa(Nisse) visiting giving out presents.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    3) "torture the kids... Just send them off to bed after celebrating Christmas, but no presents"

What does that mean? Kids go to bed on December 24th (Christmas Eve), then wake up on Christmas morning and unwrap gifts (December 2th). How are they going to bed after celebrating Christmas with no gifts if they open gifts on Christmas morning? Maybe in some parts of the world they open it on the "eve', but the typical tradition of Christmas is to open them on Christmas Day. Do you start all your New Year Resolutions on New Year's Eve too?
    Christmas is being celebrated with a big dinner and guests on Christmas Eve. Christmas Day, aka the 25th, is after the celebrations, that's what they meant. For the majority of Europe Christmas Eve is the big deal, not Christmas Day. Also for many European countries Santa(someone dressed up as Santa obviously) visits and gives out presents to the kids directly on Christmas Eve. Can't do that if they are asleep.

There seems to be a very basic confusion here - it's not a discussion about which day, but when on the day!

As the evening of the 24th and the morning of the 25th were actually the same day, as 24-hour days traditionally in the bible begin and end in the evening.

And it was supposed to be on the midwinter solstice for symmetry reasons so it's anyway a few days late.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    I assume that AU players will have to wait until late Boxing day to open their Christmas presents in WoW ?

As usual.
    Nah about 2am onwards Boxing Day for us

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    I do believe this is incorrect, most of EU celebrate on the 24th.

Personally I don't understand it myself, Christmas Eve = 24th, Christmas Day = 25th. My childhood was spent in England where we opened presents on morning of the 25th.

It's like celebrating your birthday a day before your birthday...
    No... It's like opening presents the day after your birthday
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Quote Originally Posted by aviger View Post
    As a dutch person, presents are always done the evening of the 24th, First xmas day you usually spend with one side of your family, second xmas day with the others...
    As a dutch guy myself, it was always the morning of 25th for us. The whole magic was to wake up and find them under the tree. So this shows just how much different it is for every family

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    Nah about 2am onwards Boxing Day for us
    6pm Boxing day here.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Absolute embarrassing, Blizzard. I mean really! Cringe! Some kids could've eaten those presents!

You open gifts on Christmas Eve obviously. I wonder if people who does it on Christmas Day will celebrate New Years on the 1st and not the evening before? Yeah.. exactly ������

Game is in horrible state and has got very serious problems with core mechanics/systems...
    Members here: OH NO, i will get another useless toy no. 3532 in my collection 1 day later!

Really...?

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Saw a dude afk in mammoth soulshape form, I assume it's from the holiday dailies if anyone can confirm?

Quote Originally Posted by Nelle View Post

Even in Denmark, and potentially the rest of Scandinavia, 24th is Christmas Eve with 25th and 26th being national holidays known as Christmas Day and 2nd Christmas day.

That said, gifts are given on Christmas Eve regardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    6pm Boxing day here.
    Nah they kick in at 10am PST which is about 2am our time, I think. Could be 6am actually.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tiwack View Post
    Saw a dude afk in mammoth soulshape form, I assume it's from the holiday dailies if anyone can confirm?
    That’s from the Night Fae calling I think

Nah they kick in at 10am PST
    6pm boxing day. (AEDT) .. that is when they turn up.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    That’s from the Night Fae calling I think
    The Night Fae paragon cache, same as the porcupine soul.
    I don't know the recipe for success, but I know that the recipe for failure is trying to please everyone.

Forum stupidity at its finest:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Just because a word is in the dictionary doesn't mean it's true IRL.
    Allatar - EU Aszune | Allatar - D3 Career