Page 1 of 2
LastLast

TGP Season 2 -- Your thoughts?

Hey guys,

We just wrapped S2 of The Great Push. Huge congratz to Aster.Y for their first win on the international stage! Competition was fierce with it coming down to the wire between Method Sheesh and Echo Guardians for 2nd place. All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed the new format. It's a lot more watchable than MDI currently. I wanted to ask you guys, what are your thoughts on the new format and the tournament in general?

It's mind boggling how good Aster.Y has been the last couple of months. They could have won the MDI finals (they should have been up 2-1 in the finals) and have beaten the number 1 team in the leaderboards. Even though I was rooting for Method Sheesh, they have been so clean the last day. And they had the mental fortitude to come back, deliver a perfect run and win after depleting a +29 CoS for one second.

The new format with one team eliminated each day was better because it forced the teams to go all in since the day one. It gave a bit more interest to the first two days. And we didn't have weird shenanigans like the plagueborer strat. Aster.Y won fair and square.

However, I don't understand why Method Sheesh went for a +30 DoS instead of a +32 NW, because even if they timed the +30 DoS they would have lost to Aster.Y anyway in case of Aster.Y completing the +29 CoS. Wildi tweeted that his team didn't prepare for NW +32 and gambled on getting SD or ToP as the last dungeon, but it's too bad they didn't even try it even though they probably didn't have the comp setup to complete the +32 at the first try.
    Last edited by Barzotti; 2021-12-13 at 12:36 PM.

I liked it, I think it's better than MDI.

My only gripe though... why not 4K? Showing 4 teams at the same time in 1920*1080 means only 960*540 per team. It's 2021 dear Blizzard.

1. Not having full HD on all POVs made it hurt on the eyes a bit.
    2. Competition was super close and a lot more engaging and entertaining than any other WoW content (MDI/AWC/RWF/etc).
    3. All the panelists carried production-value a LOT - each one had their personality, with cool jokes and fun bits.
    4. I love the idea of forcing the teams to reveal all strats in the list dungeons, but perhaps shouldnt lose a team on day 1.
    5. Adding 2 Legion dungeons was absolutely brilliant - what was missing however was a bit more explanations. Wouldve been great if stream started 15 min earlier to explain both dungeons and casters re-iterate a bit more on the mechanics. The narration of abilities from BFA was mentioned - yes, repeating abilities every run is bad Naguura, but when it comes to 5+ years old content, its ok to mention them a few times.
    6. If blizzard has any intention to popularize TGP (they probably dont), then there shouldnt be any stream other than the main channel. Otherwise it just splits the audience and its hard to gauge interest.
    7. TGP suffers from the $500k incident when blizzard stole $500k from the prize pool which was generated by the players. They should bring that option back with another super awesome toy like the transmog guy, this time without stealing the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post

My only gripe though... why not 4K? Showing 4 teams at the same time in 1920*1080 means only 960*540 per team. It's 2021 dear Blizzard.
    Agreed -- it'd be nice if they upped it to 4k. It might be a limitation because it's being simulcast on both YouTube and Twitch (unlike the MDI which is a YT exclusive).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post

Twitch has highly limited bandwidth you're allowed to use. You can't even get 1080p 60fps to look decent if there's anything interesting going on on the screen
    Not sure what Youtube's bitrate limit is, but I doubt they allow good looking 4k streams

15+ Year Old Account
    4K is really a must but it is still very enjoyable to watch and I watch at least part if not all every season.
    But it could be so much better if not almost 1/3 of the view is taken up by oversized and poorly placed/poorly useful(at all time) info.

By no means optimized but shows some of the issues I got with watching them and some random quick improvements
    • I know what match I watch and its teams already, team name sizes could be adjusted that height is just unwarranted.
    • I dont need gigant sized death counter and time, why not bake it into the top time in a good way.
    • There is no need for that height (length matter) of the player grid, space better spent on bigger cooldown icons which is important info that updates alot.
    • And the bottom bar I mean seriously, that entire space for information that is so vastly different in importance.
    • Deaths and time (which is already given elsewhere) compared to previously killed boss times.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

They should of made the toy obtainable from blizzard and not a third party site. Beyond that I am as apathetic as last year

As per usual the UI is horrible but at least the players could stream. I think one of the biggest problem is there are some teams that DON'T stream. I think it should be mandatory (outside of internet issues) for players to stream, or at least X amount per team. As a viewer I do not care to see the main broadcast because watching 4 teams at once is horrible but hearing comms and watching the actual players POV is way better

Quote Originally Posted by shyguybman View Post
    As per usual the UI is horrible but at least the players could stream. I think one of the biggest problem is there are some teams that DON'T stream. I think it should be mandatory (outside of internet issues) for players to stream, or at least X amount per team. As a viewer I do not care to see the main broadcast because watching 4 teams at once is horrible but hearing comms and watching the actual players POV is way better
    Weird take my dude. The main broadcast can choose literally any player's POV at any given time. That's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Weird take my dude. The main broadcast can choose literally any player's POV at any given time. That's enough.
    If I want to watch Naowh, then I should be able to go watch Naowh (which he streamed so I could). If I want to watch Andy's group, I couldn't because they weren't streaming. What is weird about that? And TBH I never watched the main stream for longer then maybe ~10 minutes total across the whole weekend because I find it more interesting watching the players POV.

Boring content made as esport.

Quote Originally Posted by Dioporco View Post
    Boring content made as esport.
    Are you posting from the year 1983? eSports is the future of gaming whether you like it or not.

Are you posting from the year 1983? eSports is the future of gaming whether you like it or not.
    He never disagreed with the notion. He said that the content of this supposed esport is boring.

Wish it was actually organized like proper competition - promotion, non-competitors involvement, 1 single stream covering the event not 60 ppl streaming on their own. It doesnt have that many viewers, but letting people do their own stream makes it look like an even bigger joke that the prize pool is. But Im afraid if they try to do something like the morpher again it doesnt stop them from stealing all the money raised by players, again.

esport for sure and I like LoL tournaments, but M+? Rofl no i dont think so captain america meme

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Henako View Post
    He never disagreed with the notion. He said that the content of this supposed esport is boring.
    Glad somebody isnt sleeping

Quote Originally Posted by Dioporco View Post
    esport for sure and I like LoL tournaments, but M+? Rofl no i dont think so captain america meme
    Again, it's the future of gaming. Everything will be eSports. You might find this particular event boring and that's okay... but that doesn't mean that there isn't an audience and it's pretty arrogant to assume you're the sole arbiter of what should and shouldn't be an eSport.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again, it's the future of gaming. Everything will be eSports. You might find this particular event boring and that's okay... but that doesn't mean that there isn't an audience and it's pretty arrogant to assume you're the sole arbiter of what should and shouldn't be an eSport.
    It's pretty arrogant of you to just assume how he feels when he didn't say anything of the sort.
    He just said he found it boring, not that it should be cancelled

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    It's pretty arrogant of you to just assume how he feels when he didn't say anything of the sort.
    He just said he found it boring, not that it should be cancelled
    Uh, how else am I to interpret "I like LoL tournaments but M+? Rofl no"? He literally scoffed at the idea of M+ as an eSport.

Uh, how else am I to interpret "I like LoL tournaments but M+? Rofl no"? He literally scoffed at the idea of M+ as an eSport.
    Your initial response did exactly that. You assumed his stance, as I already pointed out.