Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    It was okay. It was the same quality as all the other Matrix movies -- just okay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sinilaid View Post
    It felt like I was watching a parody of the Matrix
    Ah! Then you understood. Well done!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I wonder what some people think about Matrix 3 if this one is the worst. 4 is not necessary because what's the point after the has been "done" for so many years. From an lore perspective its a whole lot better than than the ending we got in 3. I wouldn't feel so disappointed in 4 if you told me more movies are coming out.
    And you 'almost' get it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    The only way they're going to stop regurgitating and shitting on everything that was good 20+ years ago is for audiences to be more critical and stop paying for this trash.
    Which is exactly what the movie is about.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

I think it was better than 2 and 3 honestly, at least the first 2 hours or so was. I actually really enjoyed the very meta discussions in the early part.

Ending felt really weak, and was confusing who they were currently fighting at the end.

Was the movie needed? Hell no. Was it an enjoyable watch regardless? Mostly yes.

I guess spoilers:
    Also unlike most 'distant sequals/soft reboots' I feel like their handling of why humans are still fighting machines really natural. Neo gives a very audience like reaction of "it was all for nothing", but gets a good answer as for why things didn't just end happily ever after.

I actually liked new morpheus. He's not the old morpheus, he's based on him, so changing actor makes sense. He's Neo's imperfect recreation of him.

Smith meanwhile should have stayed dead in 3. He feels unnessecary to his movie. His new actor is trying really hard to act like him, but he just looks so terribly generic and uneeded, and is pretty much responsible for every bad part of this movie.
    Last edited by Myradin; 2021-12-28 at 07:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cface View Post
    The only good part, was the scene with brainstorming. It was funny and I kinda got the impression Lana was telling us something.
    Yes, Yes she was. I had to go back a few pages to see if anyone else understood the movie, and you also get a cookie, you seem to at least mostly get it with this comment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Matrix 4 was the dumbed-down, on-the-nose, paint-by-numbers version of a matrix film. Its like they felt the big problem with the prior movies was that they were being too obscure, so everything was spelled out for the audience. As a result, it felt boring and almost like a kids film. It was a very simple plot and also grandiose. The acting by the new characters was also very bad. Like CW quality. Actually the film felt like an episode of a CW TV show.

2/10 from me.
    The previous movies were pretty obscure, and it resulted in a people talking about all their theories for years and years. But in the end, many missed the point. This time, Lana spelt it out so simply, even included the point in the script many times over, and yet....people still missed the point. Which in this movies incredibly meta way, was the point even still.

2/10, The first 1/2 was mediocre at best and it went downhill after that.

I got the vibe they wanted this to be first part of a new trilogy! ...GL with that!

All involved should be ashamed.
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Wealth inequality is here to stay, sometimes it's just how lifes cookie crumbles and all of society is better off for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    But from what I can see it is quite probable Æthelstan was the first Brexiteer, likely the Farage of his age seeing off the European continentals in the very first successful Brexit.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    It was "an enjoyable nostalgia romp" and that's about all I'd give it. Got up from the couch thinking "I kind of wish they'd made the movie more about the civil war."

The brainstorming scene was very amusing though. Cheeky.
    Last edited by AcidicSyn; 2021-12-29 at 03:14 PM. Reason: spelling and stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Left a review in the other cinema thread too, but no, this wasn't really good at all.

The most interesting parts were the ones with the least action. Him trying to recollect, him meeting Trinity again, seeing his projected appearance to others, etc. Were this a dialogue driven, almost Memento-like story, I'd have given it much higher marks. As it stands now, it feels like a throw-back cash grab that only makes me hope there aren't more on the way.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Left a review in the other cinema thread too, but no, this wasn't really good at all.

The most interesting parts were the ones with the least action. Him trying to recollect, him meeting Trinity again, seeing his projected appearance to others, etc. Were this a dialogue driven, almost Memento-like story, I'd have given it much higher marks. As it stands now, it feels like a throw-back cash grab that only makes me hope there aren't more on the way.
    I wholeheartedly agree with you. Had this been less action (how could you top the action from the first three?) and more of a purely development story, I would have liked it much better.

I did enjoy the new Architect, and his entire take on "redoing" the Matric. Along with the younger Morpheus, and bringing Trinity back in was done well. They could have had more fun with her home life and how the Soccer Mom thing was antithetical to her core. Neo's mental health issue was done pretty well (and that the Architect was his therapist worked well as a "turn"). It was decent, could have been really good - especially if they had eschewed all action and made it a drama - that would have been BOLD.

My issue is the "why". Why was this made? Another trilogy? To free the Matrix? Again?

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Ah! Then you understood. Well done!

- - - Updated - - -

And you 'almost' get it.

- - - Updated - - -

Which is exactly what the movie is about.
    So would you say that's a good movie because somehow it tries to make a point about how sequels are unoriginal and argue that the audience is dumb? I mean, you do you if that's the case, but to me it doesn't make for a good movie. It tried to straddle that point while also have a Matrix movie and the main plot didn't make any sense, particularly the role of Agent Smith.

I got pretty annoyed at how often the film kept saying how the original Matrix was amazing, revoultionary etc etc.

Which even if true, at times it felt like the director wanking themselves on screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I'm going to laugh if the answer ends up being exactly what they said in the movie.
    I'm pretty sure it's exactly what was said in the movie - Lana wanted to keep the rights to the Matrix, and Warner Brothers was threatening to develop The Matrix with or without her and her sister.

So she made a movie about the toxicity of getting stuck in nostalgia and clinging to old things, and how our "freedom" is much more than escaping a pod, but escaping the behaviors that keep us wanting to be plugged in. It's basically commenting that Cypher from the first movie wasn't ever really free despite taking the red pill, because he desires the blue pill constantly.

I like how people are coming up with some narrative that this is a brilliant FU to WB for forcing the directors hand and that this is actually a masterpiece that only the people that know get.

No... its just a hunk of shit

Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    I like how people are coming up with some narrative that this is a brilliant FU to WB for forcing the directors hand and that this is actually a masterpiece that only the people that know get.

I mean, the Wachowskis said over and over again that the story of the Matrix was done for 15 years. The Wachowskis moved on to other things. And then suddenly a Matrix 4 popped up. And the other Wachowski doesn't want to be involved, and Lana seems to be thumbing her nose at the studio pretty heavily and obviously in the movie. It's not subtle. At all. It's a fairly reasonable analysis of literally what happened in the movie and how we know Hollywoo to work.

The power of love can power even the most realistic life simulator where you get the hots for a local at your star bucks in between shifts of being a software developer which totally sucks being financially stable with nothing to do.

Which was a theme overplayed in the 90s and not even realistic/relevant to 2022 where people would dream to be bored of life in their penthouse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I’m pretty sure most people got this… but doing that still doesn’t make it a good movie. It’s not particularly brilliant or original. If anything, it just looks like self-sabotage and selfishness cause she didn’t want anyone else doing the movie, that she’d rather have it be her pile of shit than someone else’s.
    That in and of itself if what I love about it.

It is pretty punk rock.

It... was better than I expected. I did not expect a flop in the first place, but it was better.
    Not gonna compare to any of the trilogy films, but was fun to watch. I have to say, the in-universe meta jokes were stupid and made me laugh (and other cinema goers too).
    As for the negatives - the ending was definitely drawn out too much and too cheesy, plus the explanation as to what happened between Matrix 3 and 4 was muddy and barebones attempt to just somehow quickly cover the gap.
    The final fight's deus ex machina unexpected assistance was honestly predictable, but still kinda appreciated, have to have something else after all, even if not very well done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

I don't watch commercial garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post

I didn't get that impression at all from reading those posts.

I got the impression that the majority of people think it's a hunk of shit, and that it is also a "fuck u" as mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Dudenoso View Post
    I didn't get that impression at all from reading those posts.

I got the impression that the majority of people think it's a hunk of shit, and that it is also a "fuck u" as mentioned.
    IOW, it's a mediocre/okay movie (imo) that doesn't make me think less of the writer/director, but of Hollywoo and their IP laws, and this idea that creators of a franchise can lose the rights to their franchise if they don't "make use of it" by putting out stuff they don't necessarily want to make. Which is basically what happened with Fantastic Four for years, and no one questions that shit at all, but suddenly when it comes to the Matrix they have a vendetta for hating it. Which is ironic because the movie is like, "yo, fanboys who invest so much into a movie that it 'defines key moments in their life' are dumb as hell," in like, the first 30 minutes to an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    The final fight's deus ex machina unexpected assistance was honestly predictable, but still kinda appreciated, have to have something else after all, even if not very well done.
    I just thought it was incomprehensible - why was Smith able to avoid the Agent's time freeze but Neo wasn't? Why would Smith want to help Neo instead of killing him while he was frozen, then turning on the Agent? It didn't make sense to me.