Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    My biggest revelation was talking to the friend who lent me the game once I completed it, as he had chosen a different route than mine, which significantly changed the story and put the characters in very different situations and context, adding lots of depth and perspective to the narrative. I'm a sucker for when games do that, and it adds a lot of potential replay value.
    Aye, I remember playing twice through it - once with Edelgard, once with Claude - and after that read what the other possible stories (Dimitri, church) were. There's a lot of overlap, but you get new bits out of everything. I guess Claude gives the most purely in terms of information on what's happening in general. Definitely a great game.

on topic: Guards - 6/10

A bit difficult to rate for me. On the one hand, I loved it. It's a roguelite with turn-based combat. You choose 4 out of 8 heroes and go on missions, try to get as far as possible, get rewards, upgrade them, and start a new mission, etc. It really had the "just one more mission / run" factor, as I enjoyed the (admittedly very simple) gameplay.
    On the other hand, there are quite a few negatives to it. First, there's not much variety to it. There's only one map, you take the same route every time, the same 10 battles - only spawn place and units vary a bit, though the pool of possible units for each map is the same. That gets repetitive real quick. It's also fairly annoying, that you get a lot of mythril (currency for more or less everything) when clearing a map the first time, but repeated runs only give very little. As upgrading your heroes costs a lot, usually you try around early and stick to those you like. To also level others can be really grindy. It really limits experimenting, and makes the game get boring even more quick, as you're fairly stuck with your leveled heroes.

But, it's just 5 bucks at full price, for that it's quite good and some limitations are expected.
    Last edited by Frostfred; 2021-12-05 at 05:00 AM.

Kerbal Space Programme 10/10

I have so much fun with KSP even though I'm astoundingly terrible at it. Building rockets that fail miserably to get into orbit, ambitious rovers that flip over as soon as you turn slightly, explosions galore and the occaisional succesful mission. Currently trying to rescue 11 Kerbals from the mun, started out as just 1 but the following 4 rescue attempts went awry...

Quote Originally Posted by Frostfred View Post
    Aye, I remember playing twice through it - once with Edelgard, once with Claude - and after that read what the other possible stories (Dimitri, church) were. There's a lot of overlap, but you get new bits out of everything. I guess Claude gives the most purely in terms of information on what's happening in general. Definitely a great game.
    I went Dimitri, my buddy went Edelgard. The two routes are the polar opposites of each other and there's lots of stuff you miss by only playing one, but I still feel like I got a fairly complete story with a few loose threads that were mostly cleared up talking to my friend so it seems like the devs did a good job telling stories appropriate to each route but leaving enough dangling threads to entice the player to seek out more.

Speaking of Dimitri, I don't think I've played with a more powerful unit in Fire Emblem save for the purposefully OPAF ones you get at the endgame sometimes. Guy was a straight up freight train in my game and only mages could slow him down. I don't think he went a single level without getting HP, STR and Def growths and his speed was hardly bad as well, and his unique battalion is crazy strong. Feels like I could have soloed most post-timeskip maps with him.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance 3/10

Looks decent, and I don't mind the cutscene heavy gameplay, but the controls are really awkward. Not sure I'll revisit it.
    Last edited by melodramocracy; 2021-12-10 at 05:25 AM.

Kena: Bridge of Spirits
    8.5/10

The game is beautiful and the world is well designed. The boss fights are quite challenging as well and the platforming was quite fun (I played at the next to hardest difficulty). It also has a great skill tree and an upgrade system.

The story, however, was a bit shallow and the world felt somewhat empty.

Definite a great buy at $40

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post

Looks decent, and I don't mind the cutscene heavy gameplay, but the controls are really awkward. Not sure I'll revisit it.
    I had a rough start with it as well, but at some point it "clicked". Try giving it another go, its an awesome game once you get into it.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post

The fighting controls take some getting used to. It's decent once you understand what the game wants you to do (IE precision strikes, no waving that sword around like it's a baseball bat), but mostly in duels or maybe 2v1. Anything more and the combat is a complete mess that breaks down into frustration. Which is admittedly realistic because trying to take on multiple opponents in melee is suicide IRL but still, you're only going to be able to do it once you have armor good enough for the mooks not to be able to even damage you. Archery is pure ass sandwich no matter how you slice it however.

It's a good game to get in and soak the atmosphere but like you I never finished it. Once the initial wow factor of the immersive gameplay and beautiful world wears off there's just nothing to hook you IMO, the combat is decent at its best, characters never go above decent too and the story is padded beyond words and would honestly be fairly boring even if it wasn't. Plus the save system is pure shit and I modded it out at once.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Zelda: Link's Awakening Remake: 7.5/10

Enjoyable but kinda dated on the combat style. I always thought it got pretty anticlimactic at the end, but the 8th dungeon is pretty much a classic at this point.

Mortal Shell off PS+

6/10

Fighting is alright, satisfying yet lacking. Character progression of the shells sucks... no stats, just passives and the odd ability. Hate the system of health restoration where you're forced to gather mushrooms around zones, unlike Dark Souls that resets your Esterus flask.

10+ Year Old Account
    Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker - 10/10

This expansion was shocking, heartbreaking, and beautiful. It did everything I wanted it to do while also telling a story that I think was vital in the dark times we currently live in. It has some of the most beautiful areas I've ever seen in a video game and some amazing boss fights. Additionally, Reaper, the new Melee DPS job, is the most fun job I've played in this game. The two extreme fights are quite fun as well. #2 is a pretty standard fight but #1 has some mechanics that break my brain.

Overall the game is fantastic, the only real downside has been the queue times, but I've been able to get on in the morning and stay on so I haven't really had any issues with them.

Halo Infinite - 9/10 for both multiplayer and campaign. I feel the multiplayer is by far the best since Halo 3 and I think the campaign was fitting.

Firewatch - 7.5/10

Really fun game but understand it won't be for everybody because it is basically a walking simulator with a bit of mystery behind it.

Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade

9/10
    7/10 - score deduction due to it not being the full game and having horribly low-quality textures.

This is basically the highest score I ever give a game. Right in line with the likes of Mario 64, Super Metroid, etc.

The remake of arguably one of the best games ever made. What's not to like? Sure, it has some minor hitches now and then but in my opinion nothing to get worked up over; just some mini-stutters in specific sections.

I don't need to explain why FFVII is one of the best games ever made; most people know this. So let's talk a bit about the remake. First of all, it manages to be gorgeous with low resolution textures, it's a console port, after all. Secondly it combines the classic FF turn based feel with action based combat. This works surprisingly well. The area's are well made, the acting is good, the progression system feels right and the controller oriented inputs feel quite decent with keyboard and mouse. Movement is responsive and crisp. Yeah, it's obviously a port, but it doesn't diminish the experience at all.

This game managed to capture the same feeling I had as a teenager. There will never be an FF that reaches the quality of 7's story telling and character binding.

If you've never played FFVII on the PS1 you're in for a treat. If you have played FFVII on the PS1, oh boy, are you in for a beautiful journey down memory lane.

edit: only thing that bothered me a little bit was Wedge's retarded voice. Then I discovered it's Matt Jones and I was like: "aah, that's why". That guy is stupid personified.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2021-12-29 at 09:32 AM.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

9/10

Amazing game! Looks fantastic, love the characters and I had a blast playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade

9/10

This is basically the highest score I ever give a game. Right in line with the likes of Mario 64, Super Metroid, etc.

The remake of arguably one of the best games ever made. What's not to like? Sure, it has some minor hitches now and then but in my opinion nothing to get worked up over; just some mini-stutters in specific sections.

I don't need to explain why FFVII is one of the best games ever made; most people know this. So let's talk a bit about the remake. First of all, it manages to be gorgeous with low resolution textures, it's a console port, after all. Secondly it combines the classic FF turn based feel with action based combat. This works surprisingly well. The area's are well made, the acting is good, the progression system feels right and the controller oriented inputs feel quite decent with keyboard and mouse. Movement is responsive and crisp. Yeah, it's obviously a port, but it doesn't diminish the experience at all.

This game managed to capture the same feeling I had as a teenager. There will never be an FF that reaches the quality of 7's story telling and character binding.

If you've never played FFVII on the PS1 you're in for a treat. If you have played FFVII on the PS1, oh boy, are you in for a beautiful journey down memory lane.

edit: only thing that bothered me a little bit was Wedge's retarded voice. Then I discovered it's Matt Jones and I was like: "aah, that's why". That guy is stupid personified.
    For PC or PS5?

I heard the game has FPS issues on PC no matter what you do and the options in general are barebones if even that.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    For PC or PS5?

I heard the game has FPS issues on PC no matter what you do and the options in general are barebones if even that.
    PC.

I had absolutely no FPS issues; constant 120fps which is the max for this game. There are some stutters in three or four specific sections, but nothing game breaking.

I did however discover that this isn't the full game, which bummed me out to no extent and quite frankly, killed some of my motivation to keep playing. I would also have loved a specific PC version with high-res textures. Right now, these are obviously playstation textures; extremely low resolution and very low quality. I also feel that the story telling part was done better in the original, but that might be rose-tinted nostalgia.

Still a great game though, but considering the aforementioned, I change my score to a 7/10, 8/10 if it would've been the whole game.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 - gets a solid 7 out of 10.

To be honest, I would not give a 10 to any of the current games. 10 was WoW some years ago when it was perfect.

Other than that:
    RDR2. A 6 out of 10, because the game feels empty after some hours of gameplay. Is a shame because they did an insane work with the world and details. Still a fun game to blast now and then.

WoW: Gets a 6 as of now. It is really lacking the whole expansion but given the circumstances... a 6 is pretty good.

One Finger Death Punch 2 - 8/10
    Really good game to blow off some steam or do a quick map in a break. Probably as simple as it gets: enemy comes from the right, you press the right mouse button; enemy comes from the left, you press the left mouse button. But they did amazing keeping to that simple formula. Imo it would be worth it even at base price outside of a sale at just 8 bucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    For PC or PS5?

Most PCs are going to run PS5 games at the same performance as a PS5 for at least a year or two. Not because they arent more powerful that a PS5. You can build a machine with higher specs than a PS5 well enough. The optimization techniques aren't there. 4k (or pseudo 4k) @ 60fps on dedicated hardware and software to a variable to a variable environment is hard.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Most PCs are going to run PS5 games at the same performance as a PS5 for at least a year or two. Not because they arent more powerful that a PS5. You can build a machine with higher specs than a PS5 well enough. The optimization techniques aren't there. 4k (or pseudo 4k) @ 60fps on dedicated hardware and software to a variable to a variable environment is hard.
    I don't see the connection.
    The game is made in the Unreal Engine, what exactly is stopping them to do a proper port with proper graphic options.