Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well as for OP, that's like remains to even be seen if it will even be a thing.

Other than that - it's not as much as copying but rather not being constricted by "the other team did this already" - like if there is Hawkeye it does not suddenly mean that DC should never have bow and arrow guy as well. With the huge diversity of superheroes - overlaps are inevitable, really. And starting to tiptoe around pretty basic archetypes, just because other team did it is unnecessary.

There are dozens superheroes big and small both teams, overlaps are inevitable especially because the theme is same - juiced up metahumans fighting juiced up and often metahuman and alien supervillains and forces.

DC has a superhero that flies and shoots energy beams, Marvel too... and Dragonball... and The Boys and 500 other shows and franchises - because superhero/hero flying and shooting energy beams is staple really. Should we start wondering who copied who here when it's like basic of basics - sure you could say Superman did it first, but then I wonder if this was inspired in turn by some other source and led to the whole creation of a "X flying shooting laserbeams" stock hero archetype.

- - - Updated - - -

Other than that - I most certainly would like DC to continue with movies - yes they don't have something as strong as whole Avengers series, but they also have some very very good movies and eventually I do think they will find themselves.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2021-12-30 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Askyl View Post
    I am here waiting for Avengers vs Justice League movie.....

That will never happen, but it would be the best crossover and box office hit ever.
    Heh, so it will be an even more contrived cameo parade like the avengers movies themselves?
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Askyl View Post
    I am here waiting for Avengers vs Justice League movie.....

That will never happen, but it would be the best crossover and box office hit ever.
    Only if they let Marvel be the production company and keep WB out of it completely. WB has a tendency of micro-managing everything...just ask Snyder. Marvel has also shown they are very good at making movies that consistently will reach the $1B mark where WB has not.
    Last edited by Flatspriest; 2021-12-31 at 04:36 AM.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

The inherent problem with making such cross-overs comes down to intent and execution.

When it comes to the latest Spiderman movie, it's basically the first Marvel product in phase four that isn't either spitting in the face of fans or overtly trying to push some propaganda/messaging/politics down the viewers' throats. The intent of the film is obvious: respect the prior incarnations of the franchise and give the fans a good and entertaining movie. Fortunately, those working on the project (even the actors themselves, as behind-the-scene information has told) understand and executed their craft with this intent in mind, coming out with a really good movie that's executed well despite how difficult it probably was to do.

Now, if you compare it to other crossover events, such as the Crisis on Infinite Earths that was on the CW and its affiliates... it's just night and day. It's starts off with its individual parts not being that great, some worse than others, when it comes to intent. Low-hanging fruit example is Batwoman: that show is the epitome of political messaging and propaganda being the main goal of the show, not a good story nor cohesive plot. When you combine shows of that ilk together without the intent of reverence and consideration of the fans of the franchises, you get an absolute mess that one can only ironically laugh at because it's so awful.

There are obviously examples of stuff in between, but the success and failures generally come down to intent and execution. In general, DC is lacking in one or both of these departments. That isn't to say Marvel is perfect, as it has many misses in one or both of these departments in the cinematic universe alone, but their misses/failures generally stem from the same reasons that DC properties fail. If there's a reason DC tends to fail more than Marvel, it's probably because the execs only try to copy the final result without trying to understand the creation process that results in a good final result.
    Last edited by exochaft; 2021-12-30 at 09:48 PM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as Keaton, Clooney, and Kilmer make an appearance/cameo. If you're going to dip into multiverse land, DIP HARD.
    My youtube channels: Sath Reacts: TV & Movie Reactions, and Sath Animations: Stop motion/claymation animations

Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    There were 3 different Spidermen: Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield and Tom Holland. They all came together in No Way Home.

There are 3 different Batmen (recently): Christian Bale, Ben Affleck and Robert Pattinson.

Do you think they are trying to bring them all together in a film against previously fought villains? Scarecrow, Joker, Two-face, Bane, Ra's Al-Ghul, Harley Quinn, and the Riddler?
    I remember DC first doing multi verse - they are far more known for that, if anyone copied that, I think it's marvel

If you are into super hero tv shows etc, you'd have met the mutli vers first in The Flash/Arrowverse The CW network super hero shows,.

I think in th e90s, DC had the problem of h aving so many various versions of their heroes, they spoun a multi verse tale and then decided to do a flashpoint.

Marvel I suspect copies later.

But if you know your history well, they copy off each other ALL the time.. And a lot of people don't even kow there is a difference.. there are so many super heroes i just all becomes a blur.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    ...was hoping someone would say this but for examples

Darkseid-->Thanos
    Deathstroke-->Deadpool
    Batman Origin Story-->Spiderman Origin Story

hell there's a DC villain called black spider who acts and LOOKS like spiderman for gods sake AND they just threw him on Young Justice
    Batman and Spider-Man don't really have the same origin...at least...no more than most heroes. Dead Parents is almost a requirement to get into the Super-Hero game.

Also, Rob Leifeld swears up and down that Deadpool has nothing to do with Deathstroke. Yeah, I don't believe him either.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they are smart they would. I don't see why not. Although what you describe I think has to do with them realizing how having many different actors can have advantages.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

It's not really a question of "copying"...DC's Flash movie was already planning on having at least 2 different versions of Batman... Affleck and Keaton.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    ...was hoping someone would say this but for examples

Darkseid-->Thanos
    Deathstroke-->Deadpool
    Batman Origin Story-->Spiderman Origin Story

hell there's a DC villain called black spider who acts and LOOKS like spiderman for gods sake AND they just threw him on Young Justice
    Black Spider is even voiced by the same guy that voiced Spider-Man in Spectacular Spider-Man.

Do I like that they are each trying to do their own movie universe? Yes.

Does DC look at what Marvel did and think "Lets do that, establish the big 3 as well with 2-3 side characters in their movies, and go from there?" Started with Man of Steel and then went off the rails from there.

DC saw Avengers and thought "Lets do that with the second movie instead!" No lead ins, didn't established the new Bats, threw in WW, Doomsday, and Lex. Only thing they did right was show just glimpses of the others

I think their fanbase wishes they had copied Marvel instead of rushing in with shit directors.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Heh, so it will be an even more contrived cameo parade like the avengers movies themselves?
    I really don't get why some people on the internet seemingly hate the cameos/fanservice within MCU movies? Thouse are the best part of it - they show that everything is connected and part of the same universe/multiverse now. If you don't like that go watch movies that are not part of a big franchise lmao.

(The fun part is that everyone also complained about the lack of continuity in the FoX-Men movies .... guess people just like to hate on the MCU for hate's sake).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    Do I like that they are each trying to do their own movie universe? Yes.

Does DC look at what Marvel did and think "Lets do that, establish the big 3 as well with 2-3 side characters in their movies, and go from there?" Started with Man of Steel and then went off the rails from there.

DC saw Avengers and thought "Lets do that with the second movie instead!" No lead ins, didn't established the new Bats, threw in WW, Doomsday, and Lex. Only thing they did right was show just glimpses of the others

I think their fanbase wishes they had copied Marvel instead of rushing in with shit directors.
    Have you read the leaked scripts from the planned but now canned future of zack snyders DC movies? They surely read like "ok guys, lets try to top endgame but also lets add some more grimdark drama .... like .... bruce and lois should have a secret child!".

#TEAMGIRAFFE

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    I really don't get why some people on the internet seemingly hate the cameos/fanservice within MCU movies? Thouse are the best part of it - they show that everything is connected and part of the same universe/multiverse now. If you don't like that go watch movies that are not part of a big franchise lmao.

(The fun part is that everyone also complained about the lack of continuity in the FoX-Men movies .... guess people just like to hate on the MCU for hate's sake).

- - - Updated - - -

Have you read the leaked scripts from the planned but now canned future of zack snyders DC movies? They surely read like "ok guys, lets try to top endgame but also lets add some more grimdark drama .... like .... bruce and lois should have a secret child!".
    No, but it doesn't surprise me.

They REALLY need to stay away from Zack Snyder. I don't know why people hire him as a director.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    The inherent problem with making such cross-overs comes down to intent and execution.

When it comes to the latest Spiderman movie, it's basically the first Marvel product in phase four that isn't either spitting in the face of fans or overtly trying to push some propaganda/messaging/politics down the viewers' throats. The intent of the film is obvious: respect the prior incarnations of the franchise and give the fans a good and entertaining movie. Fortunately, those working on the project (even the actors themselves, as behind-the-scene information has told) understand and executed their craft with this intent in mind, coming out with a really good movie that's executed well despite how difficult it probably was to do.

Now, if you compare it to other crossover events, such as the Crisis on Infinite Earths that was on the CW and its affiliates... it's just night and day. It's starts off with its individual parts not being that great, some worse than others, when it comes to intent. Low-hanging fruit example is Batwoman: that show is the epitome of political messaging and propaganda being the main goal of the show, not a good story nor cohesive plot. When you combine shows of that ilk together without the intent of reverence and consideration of the fans of the franchises, you get an absolute mess that one can only ironically laugh at because it's so awful.

There are obviously examples of stuff in between, but the success and failures generally come down to intent and execution. In general, DC is lacking in one or both of these departments. That isn't to say Marvel is perfect, as it has many misses in one or both of these departments in the cinematic universe alone, but their misses/failures generally stem from the same reasons that DC properties fail. If there's a reason DC tends to fail more than Marvel, it's probably because the execs only try to copy the final result without trying to understand the creation process that results in a good final result.
    in terms of the CW yeah they do tend to push political messaging and propaganda hard. It is fine for those things to be in movies/tv shows, but it should be subtle and not in your face all the freaking time. I am hoping that Stargirl breaks the trend there, haven't seen too much or any really in that show... yet. Basically Supergirl gets my main criticism because it started out as a Superhero tv show with a bit of drama on the side... and then became a drama with a bit of superhero on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Keten View Post
    To answer the OP: When it comes to comics, most ideas are copies of other ideas and will be copied again, as will any new ideas that turn out to be popular. The comics industry is incredibly incestuous. DC has copied Marvel, Marvel has copied DC, Image has copied both, etc ...
    Actually, as I said earlier in the thread:

Quote Originally Posted by cyberglum View Post
    Justice League of America #21 (1964) is the first cross-over of the JSA/JLA and the original multiverse crossover. DC originated the idea. Marvel has just beat them putting it up on the big screen.
    The first use of the idea of a Marvel multiverse, although not really acknowledged as such, was Avengers #85 in 1971. Writer Roy Thomas, as a little in-joke, introduced the Squadron Sinister (and their world) as a riff on the JLA.

The idea was later solidified by (of all people) Alan Moore in the UK Captain Britain series, labeling the the Marvel Universe as Earth-616 in 1982.

Feel free to ignore my input. Points for PHB as icon tho'.

Guys, my question was not if they copy each other on a regular basis, that is obvious, but if you think they are planning their own No Way Home, just with Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalam the Venom View Post
    Has there ever been such a story in the comics?
    Where batmans from several universes appear at once?

The spider-man comics has story lines with the thing called ”Spiderverse” where spider men from many universes come together.

Also all the villains in the movie could be s reference to sinister six
    Apparently, there are other earths, like in the Marvel universe. I remember the Injustice game trailer showing it with a different Lex Luther.

Every Marvel property other than their big 3 (X-Men, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four) is a simile of DC. The only thing Marvel has cracked, and to huge success, is their movie formula. To that end, yes, DC is still playing catch up, but DC's concepts, including the Multiverse, have been done to greater success in print. Too bad comics aren't the best metric to the general world though, since so few people read them. DC is literally sitting on a treasure trove of 80 years worth of amazing stories 8 times better than anything Marvel has, and they're still trying to figure out how to do a decent Green Lantern movie, one of their big 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    There’s no indication they’re planning something like that.
    Not yet anyway. Looking at Black Adam and the Justice Society I would wonder though.

There’s no indication they’re planning something like that.
    Why replace Batmans so often, then? And Jokers, apparently.

Because they abandoned the idea of doing a single unified cinematic universe and are instead making disconnected films that aren’t required to be part of anything else?
    Or, that is what they want us to think