Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    I don't know the books, but the show was OK to watch.

Surprised that Moiraine is not the big main character, I dont see any other from the cast beeing able to lead the show. After watching Witcher S2, this show looks like a TV production and the netflix series is closer to cinema with the cast and cinematography, while using similar budget for special effects.

GoT or Witcher comparisons are things I dont really see, the cast is pretty weak, but I like the magic theme, so I hope it last at least for another 1-2 seasons.
    That's because the team working on The Witcher actually gives a damn about the source material and can still modernize enough of the story to make it quality entertainment. We aren't getting that with that useless hack Rafe Judkins and his merry band of idiot writers trying to take a dump all over Robert Jordan's work.

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    A score of 7-8 is a good score stop talking complete BS just because you have been proven wrong, 7-8 is a good score for any show, 8 or above would be considered great and anything above 9 which is not much would be some of the best shows available. Using metacritic does nothing to prove your point infact it does the opposite because you cant just use one metric alone.

Book of boba fet scored a 60 on your site and costs under 15 million per episode, the first episode was pretty damn good, so that website is useless at ratings since ep1 is currently rated at 80% plus on all others.
    I'm not using one metric I'm using 400 user ratings

Prefer RT?

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the_wheel_of_time/s01

User scores are 66% even with the constant purging that RT does of "review bombing" haven't watched book so no idea if it was good or not.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    I'm not using one metric I'm using 400 user ratings

Prefer RT?

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the_wheel_of_time/s01

User scores are 66% even with the constant purging that RT does of "review bombing" haven't watched book so no idea if it was good or not.
    Btw, if you swap the critics rating to top critics instead of all critics the shows rating drops from 82% to 54%. Anybody knows what makes somebody a top critic on RT?

For a different perspective. Here is a couple that watched the show without reading the books and is now reading the books. And giving their reactions to each book as they go.

"The customer is always right" is a nice way of saying "I will put up with your bullshit as long as you pay me"

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    For a different perspective. Here is a couple that watched the show without reading the books and is now reading the books. And giving their reactions to each book as they go.
    Quite the video at 1hr 43mins...engaging.

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    The books are not relevant that is a fact because barely anyone who watches the show will read the book just because they enjoy the series, fans of the books just have unrealistic expectations or just think the book is better regardless of how good the tv series is, an adaptation doesnt mean it will follow the book series the way it was written and it shouldnt since the fans of the books will then know everything anyway.
    I am a far more hardcore LOTR fan than WoT (WoT is kinda trashy in spots, LOTR is a masterpiece) - but I loved the LOTR movies. I loved the Game of Thrones series until it went off the rails. I loved Harry Potter movies.

This notion that “you can’t please hardcore fans” is nonsense, and it’s never anything I’ve heard before. You can. This adaptation is just really shitty.

It boggles my mind that a Hollywood writer thinks he can improve upon one of the greatest fantasy series of all time by massively changing major plot points. The arrogance of it is stunning - and he’s also obviously been wrong.

You absolutely could have pleased the book fans with a few simple changes that would not impact its suitability for a TV series.

You did not have to allow it to be possible to have a female Dragon, since that is blatantly lore-shattering, on the level of Eowyn possibly being the hidden Queen of Gondor.

You did not have to have Rand and Egwene in a sexual relationship already, since that butchers the customs of the Two Rivers.

You did not have to allow Tam to get defeated by a single Trolloc, since he is a blademaster and the most capable combatant in the Two Rivers other than Lan and Moiraine.

You did not have to make Thom a cowboy instead of a gleeman, as Thom is by nature a proud showman.

You did not have to make Aes Sedai rings look like Pop Rings out of cereal boxes.

You did not have to make Nynaeve stronger than Logain. Logain is supposed to be stronger than anyone except a few of the male Forsaken and Rand. Nynaeve is lower-tier female Forsaken strength.

You did not have to waste an entire episode on Steppin, who is little more than a throwaway character, rather than developing the main characters. This also resulted in Lan having a very un-Lan screaming fit that is absolutely out of character.

You did not have to make Lan so incompetent that Nynaeve has to tell him how to track Moiraine. He has been her warder for decades.

You did not have to leave out the difference between saidin and saidar, rather than continually imply it is the men themselves who are tainted.

You did not have to make Lews Therin into an arrogant prick, leave out his desperation, and call him the Dragon Reborn when he is the Dragon.

You did not have to make Machin Shin into a bully that picks on you rather than something that devours your soul if it catches you, just to have another NYNAEVE moment.

You did not have to make the Waygate open with the Power, since it is designed for use by Ogier who cannot channel.

You did not have to have Baalzamon tempting Rand in a way that the Dark One does in the final book. That should be a very unique encounter..

You did not have to give Rand a sa'angreal in the first season, as now none of the Forsaken can touch him.

You did not have to have Lan sleep with Nynaeve and then deliver his "hate the man she chooses" speech. Now, rather than being a sacrifice he endures to protect her from future heartbreak, he essentially does a wham bam thank you ma'am on her. And Nynaeve should have stuffed herself into a sack and beaten anything that stuck out for sleeping with him outside of marriage.

You did not have to tell Logain his power would be as a candle to the sun compared to the Dragon Reborn, then give the Dragon Reborn a sa'angreal and basically show his channeling as a little flash of light. He should have nuked the entire Eye and half the Blight with that much power.

I could keep going, but there's really no point. The show is bad writing supporting needless changes that serve no purpose other than to allow Rafe to inject his progressive fan fantasies onto an otherwise excellent story.

I watched the series, thought it was good. I've read the books, thought they were good.

The fact that the last battle was ended by 5 chanellers AFTER the trollocs had wiped out the city's fortress and entire army was stupid. If they were capable of that they should have been the front line. Why were there only 3 chanellers in the city if they were capable of being he entire defense in that fashion?

Besides that, I had no major issues at all with any plot changes, and the anti-woke brigading just adds extra incentive to watch the show for me. Absent that ridiculous inner framework against which to judge it, the show is good. It's also successful, which means more to come. A good show, and more irate stupid people? It's win-win!

Quote Originally Posted by Frogguh View Post
    You absolutely could have pleased the book fans with a few simple changes that would not impact its suitability for a TV series.

You did not have to allow it to be possible to have a female Dragon, since that is blatantly lore-shattering, on the level of Eowyn possibly being the hidden Queen of Gondor.

You did not have to have Rand and Egwene in a sexual relationship already, since that butchers the customs of the Two Rivers.

You did not have to allow Tam to get defeated by a single Trolloc, since he is a blademaster and the most capable combatant in the Two Rivers other than Lan and Moiraine.

You did not have to make Thom a cowboy instead of a gleeman, as Thom is by nature a proud showman.

You did not have to make Aes Sedai rings look like Pop Rings out of cereal boxes.

You did not have to make Nynaeve stronger than Logain. Logain is supposed to be stronger than anyone except a few of the male Forsaken and Rand. Nynaeve is lower-tier female Forsaken strength.

You did not have to waste an entire episode on Steppin, who is little more than a throwaway character, rather than developing the main characters. This also resulted in Lan having a very un-Lan screaming fit that is absolutely out of character.

You did not have to make Lan so incompetent that Nynaeve has to tell him how to track Moiraine. He has been her warder for decades.

You did not have to leave out the difference between saidin and saidar, rather than continually imply it is the men themselves who are tainted.

You did not have to make Lews Therin into an arrogant prick, leave out his desperation, and call him the Dragon Reborn when he is the Dragon.

You did not have to make Machin Shin into a bully that picks on you rather than something that devours your soul if it catches you, just to have another NYNAEVE moment.

You did not have to make the Waygate open with the Power, since it is designed for use by Ogier who cannot channel.

You did not have to have Baalzamon tempting Rand in a way that the Dark One does in the final book. That should be a very unique encounter..

You did not have to give Rand a sa'angreal in the first season, as now none of the Forsaken can touch him.

You did not have to have Lan sleep with Nynaeve and then deliver his "hate the man she chooses" speech. Now, rather than being a sacrifice he endures to protect her from future heartbreak, he essentially does a wham bam thank you ma'am on her. And Nynaeve should have stuffed herself into a sack and beaten anything that stuck out for sleeping with him outside of marriage.

You did not have to tell Logain his power would be as a candle to the sun compared to the Dragon Reborn, then give the Dragon Reborn a sa'angreal and basically show his channeling as a little flash of light. He should have nuked the entire Eye and half the Blight with that much power.

I could keep going, but there's really no point. The show is bad writing supporting needless changes that serve no purpose other than to allow Rafe to inject his progressive fan fantasies onto an otherwise excellent story.
    How much you want to bet that in rafe of time LTT was The Dragon Reborn because the original dragon was a woman who unlike LTT was totally not arrogant and was super kewl.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    I watched the series, thought it was good. I've read the books, thought they were good.

The fact that the last battle was ended by 5 chanellers AFTER the trollocs had wiped out the city's fortress and entire army was stupid. If they were capable of that they should have been the front line. Why were there only 3 chanellers in the city if they were capable of being he entire defense in that fashion?

Besides that, I had no major issues at all with any plot changes, and the anti-woke brigading just adds extra incentive to watch the show for me. Absent that ridiculous inner framework against which to judge it, the show is good. It's also successful, which means more to come. A good show, and more irate stupid people? It's win-win!
    Except it's not. Massive pacing issues nonsensical additions in combination with moronic cuts. The costumes just look straight up bad lighting in dark scenes is worse than some student productions I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Except it's not. Massive pacing issues nonsensical additions in combination with moronic cuts. The costumes just look straight up bad lighting in dark scenes is worse than some student productions I've seen.
    :Shrug: opinions are like arseholes.

So you liked the Egwene love triangle? Lol...

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    it's framed in a way that the chanellers they had were white tower rejects so they wouldn't actually be able to do that much for the defense on there own and it was Nynaeve and Egwene comining in late that let them actually wipe out the trollocs because there both power houses.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    it's framed in a way that the chanellers they had were white tower rejects so they wouldn't actually be able to do that much for the defense on there own and it was Nynaeve and Egwene comining in late that let them actually wipe out the trollocs because there both power houses.
    except that takes mosts of the books to happen as they grow into/learn their powers, they are just ignorant novices in the book at this point. Can't have that though, have to super charge them to greater heights than they are at the end of the book in the first season. It makes training/ the Aes Sedai seem pretty pointless, as two village girls can apparently be the bulk of taking out 10,000 strong armies and cure the dead. So fucking bad of writing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

:Shrug: opinions are like arseholes.
    So are poor productions...

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    except that takes mosts of the books to happen as they grow into/learn their powers, they are just ignorant novices in the book at this point. Can't have that though, have to super charge them to greater heights than they are at the end of the book in the first season. It makes training/ the Aes Sedai seem pretty pointless, as two village girls can apparently be the bulk of taking out 10,000 strong armies and cure the dead. So fucking bad of writing.
    I could be wrong but I think even in the books they are stronger then every other sister pre any training and the tower is more so about mastering what power a sister does has not making them stronger in the one power. so a trained sister using there power instead of them doing it them self's would be just fine.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    I could be wrong but I think even in the books they are stronger then every other sister pre any training and the tower is more so about mastering what power a sister does has not making them stronger in the one power. so a trained sister using there power instead of them doing it them self's would be just fine.
    They are. The ability to channel the one power has been getting progressively weaker so most sisters are not very strong. The show doesn't stray that far from the books in terms of strength in the one power. Also for linking it only requires the leader of the circle/link to know the weaves. The rest are just batteries until the link is dismissed or you get burned out (killed). So the show didn't stray that far from the books.

The books also puts the strength of Nyneave at the top of what a woman can be. Which doesn't change over the course of the books. The strength remains the same it is just the knowledge of how to use that (and remove her block that stops her from consciously drawing on the power) that changes.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    They are. The ability to channel the one power has been getting progressively weaker so most sisters are not very strong. The show doesn't stray that far from the books in terms of strength in the one power. Also for linking it only requires the leader of the circle/link to know the weaves. The rest are just batteries until the link is dismissed or you get burned out (killed). So the show didn't stray that far from the books.

The books also puts the strength of Nyneave at the top of what a woman can be. Which doesn't change over the course of the books. The strength remains the same it is just the knowledge of how to use that (and remove her block that stops her from consciously drawing on the power) that changes.
    ya that's about how I remember it working in the books so the show would be following it.

Quote Originally Posted by Coniferous View Post
    So you liked the Egwene love triangle? Lol...
    It didn't send me in to fits of maladjusted rage, if that's what you mean.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    So are poor productions...
    Everyone has a poor production and yours stinks?

Nice adaption of the saying bro! Your adaption is as good as WoT!

Yes, all poor productions do stink...thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Yes, all poor productions do stink...thank you.
    What you are saying makes literally no sense in the context you quoted. It's like saying "What colour is the sky" and someone answering "Pineapple".

No wonder you struggled with WoT.