Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    What IS ressurections trying to say? No one asked for it and its a miss match of themes
    It is basically saying the Bolded part.

Which is what I think was the play here. We are not supposed to like it. It is invoking the conversation of what makes movies good or bad and the problem with rehashed cash grabs. As well as having actors play roles from when they were younger, and how out of place they are in the environment once they have out aged it.

It did a great job. It is getting terrible reviews, and people are pissed. Which is exactly what I think Lana wanted to happen. Hopefully people get pissed enough to stop supporting lazy remakes and sequels that should never have been made in the first place. And using a beloved IP to do so is icing on the cake imo.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    The best part of this movie is watching the discussion out there. Unsurprisingly, people are doing their usual conservatives vs liberal bullshit. Should check out posts on Reddit, and comments on reviews. It's so much fun.

The only thing the movie failed in for me was that it was a bit too outrageous. Obviously the larger part of the world wouldn't react like that. They made it a bit too unrealistic in that regard - though I have no issues what so ever that a lot Americans actually would deny it, think it's a conspiracy, etc. Probably several people in the rest of the world too, though not nearly as much, naturally.

Fun times.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Coniferous View Post
    I don't see Gates in Bash, he wouldn't be the one to demand they harvest minerals from the rock. I think that's intended to be more Musk or Bezos who have a much more coldhearted vibe at this point than Gates does.
    Yep, I saw no reference to Gates.

I enjoyed it, felt like a superior Idiocracy.

It made me laugh a lot and that is good enough for me. As someone said - this movie makes you 50/50 both like it for it's portrayal of reality and also hate it at the same time.
    Cut over the top stupidity by 50% and you would be close to what would realistically happen.
    Somehow I had missed this coming out at all, was a nice surprise.
    P.S.
    The CEO was imho Jobs amalgamated with all the other current big names together, president - based on Trump, surely, with some Sarah Palin in the Iron Sky style.

as italian this movie remind me of the classic tragicommedy whe use to make.
    everyone can put in what meaning and realcharacter u like (covid, climate change, trump, musk, gates, jobs.... and on and on)
    at the end for me is just a classic:
    - smart poweless person vs stupid power person
    - science vs all

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Kinda hate-watched it, the parallels to global warming and current lay of the land aren't fun and makes it too real for my taste despite how ludicrous the plot of the movie is. The american political system is horrendously fucked and everyone knows it.
    Last edited by Tiwack; 2021-12-30 at 12:21 PM.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't like it. Maybe it's just me, but right now I'm looking for movies that escape our current reality, not ones that caricature it. Trump is too depressing to remember.
    I dipped out after a bit for the same basic reason. It's not funny, just depression and anxiety inducing to watch a real-time projection of what our future holds. This is more or less how our end as a species will come about
    Wrath baby and proud of it

I enjoyed the movie, but at some point what could be seen as a good parody of certain archetypes that can be found through all the political spectrum, becomes a way too obvious attempt to present a twisted vision of a very specific group. Now, i did expect this movie to be very political and one sided (the cast, Netflix...), but in my opinion it worked better when it was more subtle about it.
    Last edited by Geckoo; 2021-12-30 at 04:29 PM.
    "Mastery Haste will fix it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    I though Bash CEO was Jobs parody.
    He had more of a Elon Musk vibe over him; total disregard for anything other than himself.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

I didn't like it. Maybe it's just me, but right now I'm looking for movies that escape our current reality, not ones that caricature it. Trump is too depressing to remember.
    I mean its a political satire. Maybe dont watch it then. I can totally understand that politics and propaganda in Star Wars or Marvel movies suck, but in this case its kinda the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladey Gags View Post
    I thought it was an extremely centrist movie that was pointing out the ridiculousness of both side’s rhetoric. The Bash CEO was clearly a parody of Gates, Meryl a parody of trump
    I thought so, too. I think everybody gets a fair share of the stupidity. Meryl Streep was cleary Trump, Jonah Hill was probably Trump Jr., CEO guy could have been everybody because most major corporations are massive assholes. Probably Gates or Bezos. The media guys want it fluffy and easy to digest for everybody and are not interested in facts. Leos character is a total nerd who gets attention for the first time in his life and gets totally corrupted by it. The popstars are 12.6IQ braindead morons who use their influence too spread "the message". And even the Sesame Street gets some. That part where Leo talks to the puppets in the kids show, thats so clearly a parody of Sanjay Gupta telling kids to take the vaccine.

I think if you are offended by this movie and think its leaning too much in one side your political views might be too extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    He had more of a Elon Musk vibe over him; total disregard for anything other than himself.
    Guess you dont know squat about Musk then.

Every character was obviously based on how a lot of people act, not one single person.

Just watched it last night.

It was good. Definitely worth a watch. The commentary on politics, big tech and celebrity culture in the US I thought were all spot on.

As a dark comedy however, it felt it was very off tonally. It just never felt like scenes transitioned very fluidly between humor and dark subject matter. Or whether the satirical elements were supposed to be clever or overtly on the nose.
    Last edited by Khaza-R; 2021-12-30 at 04:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Askyl View Post
    Guess you dont know squat about Musk then.
    I know for a fact, that Mush prohibits his workers to be a member of a labour union, and fires those that are any way.
    That is a total disregard for workers, and a right that many countries have laws to ensure that employers cannot fire people for that reason.

Elon Musk is a horrible person, as an employer. That's a proven fact!
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

imo the movie was just great. a fantastic hommage to the modern society. and a great funny reality reflection, since you can just swap „a comet“ with covid. great actors, great movie. a solid 8/10 imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Askyl View Post
    Every character was obviously based on how a lot of people act, not one single person.
    After watching videos on the director's intent, this is true. They are archetypes, not direct parodies of any one person.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    After watching videos on the director's intent, this is true. They are archetypes, not direct parodies of any one person.
    Archetypes are ALWAYS a parody of single persons, simply because the reality always surpass fiction.

One minute in it was clear it was gonna be about climate change. Obnoxious leftist SJW propaganda. They even bring up racism, how people in the south are gun nuts and at the end when they're stepping off the ship, the first people to get out are old, white men. They arrive in the Garden of Eden, and they're trying to make the point that evil, racist, old, white men have exploited and destroyed the planet with their greed and now the rats are leaving the sinking ship and moving on to another planet to do the same there.

The director and writer is a climate change fanatic, as is Leonardo De Caprio.

But I find it funny that they make the president a woman only to have her fuck up, and that Jennifer Lawrence rewards a thug thief that stole from her with sex.
    Last edited by Taarna; 2022-01-10 at 04:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the movie pretty much proves is that even if the evidence is right in front of you (or in this case above your head) and you still get imbeciles who won't believe it. It really roasts the anti-science, anti-vax, anti-climate change, and 'election was stolen' morons.

Almost worth watching for Mark Rylance alone as a billionaire Elon Musk type character (why is his piccy not in all the promo gumf?) Weird.
    Worth avoiding for Ariana Grande's scenes which make you want to stand right under an everest-sized meteorite heading for earth ....
    Big chance missed though with that cast surely?, so 7/10.