Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Something something players fault.
    Something something we won't fix because money.

Should've never opened transfers (let alone free ones) to big/mega servers. Just reeks of cash grab.

Good to see what this council turned into.
    Last edited by Mhyroth; 2022-01-05 at 06:41 AM.
    "If you are what you HAVE and you lose what you have, what then are you? But if you are what you ARE and you lose what you have, no man controls your destiny".

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Firemaw EU alliance here.

I am loving live on our realm. Whatever time of the day, any place you check with /who, there are always lots of players, sure bots too, but real players.

It feels so much more alive than retail (and retail I am Draenor Horde...) but it feels genuinely alive.

tl;dr: we do not care and bring more of your transfers money.

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    wrong,they can fix the issues easily,their reasons for not server mergin is bullshit,this isnt the 90's anymore,these naming restrictions are outdated,the reason they dont merge is because of the server transfer money they would lose
    They literally said that mergers don't work because players don't really want balanced realms. They want to have some world pvp but never be outnumbered, that's the same reason why people didn't like Legion stat templates - because your gear didn't matter and you couldn't just overpower people. Comes SL and people are complaining about not being able to get into PvP later in the patch due to people having way more gear than them - surprised Pikachu. While SL actually has shit pvp gearing for new characters, but example is still true.

That whole "What if you don’t want to be on a balanced realm and at some point, specifically elected to move to a realm where your faction is in the majority?" thing they did when they sharded everyone together with War Mode. I play on Kel'Thuzad which is probably 90% Alliance but because I play in War Mode I get Horde flown in from all sorts of other servers and we're outnumbered on our server were we should have a 10 to 1 advantage. Guess they don't care about that on live.

Well, how about free server transfers from low pop to MEDIUM pop servers, instead of high pop servers... people from low pop go to high pop and people from medium pop also go to high pop, only that one of them did it for free while the other paid for it. What happens is that medium pop will soon be low pop and high pop will be mega servers.
    by merging low with medium pop the danger of mega pop servers is drastically reduced while the ingame experience of medium pop is significally increased. i understand that low pop servers are dying even more, but they were dead anyways...

All valid things that he said but they could have done much better, especially on the FCM side, they should have restricted destination servers based on faction, and obviously should have done it a lot earlier before most people already went off.

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    This is a classic case of people taking the path of least resistance. Regardless of what your server goal is, being able to do transfer servers quickly by throwing money trivializes the personal consequences. If there was no server transfers, one would have to think about leveling up one (or multiple) chars with no transfer of their wealth, which is a huge decision to make when there's no way around it. While some people would still do this, it would be a very big deterrent to fast shifts in realm populations and faction balance. Leveling up from scratch and reacquiring all your gear/wealth is a long process.
    I think when looking at such a decision many people would rather stop playing WoW than starting from scratch. Blizzard is doing this for the money alright, just not for transfer money but for subs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    tl;dr: we do not care and bring more of your transfers money.
    Pretty much

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    wrong,they can fix the issues easily,their reasons for not server mergin is bullshit,this isnt the 90's anymore,these naming restrictions are outdated,the reason they dont merge is because of the server transfer money they would lose
    Classic and BC are outdated as well, but people who wanted classic servers wanted them *exactly* as the game was back then, so that means no layering, no sharding, no newfangled solutions to resolve name-conflicts when merging, just the way things were back in the day, and this is the way things were, back in the day.

“Merging” servers is actually something that WoW has almost never done, and the reason for this is simple; we don’t like the idea of someone losing their unique name on a realm, and this is doubly true for classic where your identity in the community is a major aspect of the game.

Yeah nothing to do with the bad press of merging servers and all the money from the extremely overpriced transfer fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    They introduced things like layers/sharding/etc. to address problems like this.

People who want to turn back the clock to before these problems were solved are now surprised that these are problems.
    The reason why servers have balance problems in the first place is because Blizz added paid character transfers all those years back.

5+ Year Old Account
    I will say this. I would not be surprised if people start going back to Private servers. Specially after everything that happened in the middle of last year. People don't wanna play for multiple reasons. Faction inbalance, The Lawsuit, the game just being boring. SoM is interesting, but it doesn't feel any different then classic was. It's just harder at the end. I loved classic when it first came out. But the botting has gotten out of control. And blizz wont do anything about the botting because they give MONEY. It's sad.. I love TBC. But with everyone quitting due to multiple reasons, it's hard to play. =/ At the end of the day.. Blizzard just wants money, and the failure of Classic is their own fault.

Quote Originally Posted by relaxok View Post
    speak for yourself i don’t want to lose my name
    you wouldnt lose your name,you know in many other mmo's you can have more than one name,and also this magical thing called a space

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Snufflupagus View Post
    Speak for yourself. I have three 70s called Death, War and Famine, and Pestilence saved for WOTLK. If I lost my names I'd never play WoW again.
    not what i said at all,you wouldnt lose anything

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Why would they even offer free transfers if this was true? Or did you miss that part (and all the other times they've done this over the years)?
    free transfers dont work,they know this,no1 wants to move to a different dead server

Why not just stop allowing people to transfer to a ream where the faction has a massive majority? Once a faction hits 60% transfers should stop.

15+ Year Old Account
    I wish they'd stop using "MAH NAME" as an excuse to not merge servers. It's so incredibly unimportant.

Heck on private servers we had merges and they added 2 priorities who could keep his name if duplicates were found. 1: max level and 2: Time /played. Done, boo hoo some people lost their name, but at the end of the day you get over it. It's always better than connected realms on retail, where you indeed lose a sense of realm community.

What you don't get over is having to transfer from realm to realm as your realms keep dying. Or not being able to raid or do dungeons on your dead realm.

Your characters name is _not_ important in the long run. (and I say this after making one of my chars name on every single EU realm, lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Peacemoon View Post
    Why not just stop allowing people to transfer to a ream where the faction has a massive majority? Once a faction hits 60% transfers should stop.
    this prevents one part of the problem. massive majority can still happen when the minor faction continues to bleed off that server.

additionally you might get issues when a guild/group of players decides to transfer to a realm that's almost at the suggested treshold. halfway through the transfers the server stops accepting transfers and you'll have a torn apart group of players.

worst case: all of them quit because some of them just wasted their money

Quote Originally Posted by erifwodahs View Post
    They literally said that mergers don't work because players don't really want balanced realms. They want to have some world pvp but never be outnumbered, that's the same reason why people didn't like Legion stat templates - because your gear didn't matter and you couldn't just overpower people. Comes SL and people are complaining about not being able to get into PvP later in the patch due to people having way more gear than them - surprised Pikachu. While SL actually has shit pvp gearing for new characters, but example is still true.
    Hah, and then at the beginning of the expansion people said, gearing in pvp is fixed because of vendors... actually it destroyed pve, since there is no pve-vendor too. In the end there will be no way to make it right for everyone.
    My personal suggestion (that many people too hate) is to have finally a pvp-specific stat like resilience back then or maybe a stat for different kind of pvp: open world pvp (maybe with objects), unrated pvp and rated pvp. Instead of throwing out 3 different pvp-gears, give out one set, and then gems that you can socket and improve the pvp-objective that you want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrinara View Post
    I will say this. I would not be surprised if people start going back to Private servers. Specially after everything that happened in the middle of last year. People don't wanna play for multiple reasons. Faction inbalance, The Lawsuit, the game just being boring. SoM is interesting, but it doesn't feel any different then classic was. It's just harder at the end. I loved classic when it first came out. But the botting has gotten out of control. And blizz wont do anything about the botting because they give MONEY. It's sad.. I love TBC. But with everyone quitting due to multiple reasons, it's hard to play. =/ At the end of the day.. Blizzard just wants money, and the failure of Classic is their own fault.
    This makes no sense ... why exactly would people play private servers over officials? Just to save 13 euros?

All the issues you listed are also present on private servers with the addition of bugs, server instability and GM corruption.
    No one really cares about the lawsuit and if the game is boring it will still be boring on privates.

Quote Originally Posted by Enter Name Here View Post
    this prevents one part of the problem. massive majority can still happen when the minor faction continues to bleed off that server.

additionally you might get issues when a guild/group of players decides to transfer to a realm that's almost at the suggested treshold. halfway through the transfers the server stops accepting transfers and you'll have a torn apart group of players.

worst case: all of them quit because some of them just wasted their money
    Same split servers just don't work 99/100 cases due to the fact it's just ineffective, not even because of the ganking - pve servers still have same problems. Why have half of potential player pool and half of the market too even if you ignore power differences for racials. Having single faction dominant server is just much better and only way to fix it is cross-faction grouping and guilds with no restrictions in any on trading way besides leveling/main hubs, also with War Mode option if they wanted to wrold PvP.