Finished the first season and I enjoyed it. Wasn't amazing, but it has my interest, which did take a few epsiodes to grab.

Something just looks off about the show though, it looks very cheap at times, the costumes look bad and CGI can be meh and overused. I found it annoying how overly clean everyone was.

I'll probably need to read some reviews to fully understand what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekko View Post
    Finished the first season and I enjoyed it. Wasn't amazing, but it has my interest, which did take a few epsiodes to grab.

Something just looks off about the show though, it looks very cheap at times, the costumes look bad and CGI can be meh and overused. I found it annoying how overly clean everyone was.

I'll probably need to read some reviews to fully understand what is going on.
    Or you could just read the books

this show is fine, dont get all the whining. the books were so boring i barely remember them.

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    Its not shitty thats a fact, when 70-80% actually like it then its not bad, its actually good, it is impossible to please everyone, there will be ppl who hate LOTR movies and love the books and the same with everything else that is just a fact, nothing gets a perfect score no matter how good ppl think it is.

Current wheel of time series is good, not the best thing ever but something enjoyable to watch.
    I can believe that if you just watched it without knowing the book series it seems good, but it is vastly inferior to the book series and that's a problem for those who know that. It could have been much much better.

And again, I'm not saying the book series is a masterpiece - it's very good but often flawed (very slow in the middle of the series). The thing is that television narratives are generally so inferior to book narratives in general that very good books like this make for excellent television if you have the budget. This show does have the budget, it's just cursed with a writer who thinks he can improve on the books and he's wrong, making it "meh".

This early he's made several incredibly fundamental changes, the main two being the power of the female characters and the nature of the dragon, that will have repercussions going forward and make it hard to even follow the plot of the book series at all. Since the strength of a TV adaptation is its ability to lift a coherent narrative from the books it is based on, that makes me very concerned.
    Last edited by Coniferous; 2022-01-05 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coniferous View Post
    I can believe that if you just watched it without knowing the book series it seems good, but it is vastly inferior to the book series and that's a problem for those who know that. It could have been much much better.

And again, I'm not saying the book series is a masterpiece - it's very good but often flawed (very slow in the middle of the series). The thing is that television narratives are generally so inferior to book narratives in general that very good books like this make for excellent television if you have the budget. This show does have the budget, it's just cursed with a writer who thinks he can improve on the books and he's wrong, making it "meh".

This early he's made several incredibly fundamental changes, the main two being the power of the female characters and the nature of the dragon, that will have repercussions going forward and make it hard to even follow the plot of the book series at all. Since the strength of a TV adaptation is its ability to lift a coherent narrative from the books it is based on, that makes me very concerned.
    A good book series does not always make for a good tv series unless you make changes, more ppl have watched the series now than read the books so no the tv series is not vastly inferior, just stick with your books if you dont like it, the tv series had a very coherent narrative and someone who has no knowledge of the books can follow it just fine.

You cant just claim its bad because you personally like the books better, if you didnt read the books ever you would think the series is good, its your own opinion because you think the books is better when thats just subjective.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

A good book series does not always make for a good tv series unless you make changes, more ppl have watched the series now than read the books so no the tv series is not vastly inferior, just stick with your books if you dont like it, the tv series had a very coherent narrative and someone who has no knowledge of the books can follow it just fine.

You cant just claim its bad because you personally like the books better, if you didnt read the books ever you would think the series is good, its your own opinion because you think the books is better when thats just subjective.
    The “that’s just subjective” argument is such an “I’m a troll on the internet” statement. Yes, my opinion is subjective. Every single person who has ever said something was good or bad was making a subjective statement.

Stop saying obvious things.

As far as "more people have watched the series than read the books" - yes, more people watch TV than read. Again, not sure why you keep pointing out incredibly obvious, meaningless details as if they are newsflashes. Lots of people watch incredibly trashy reality series, does that mean they are better than the best novels that are read by maybe 1 million people?

While we're pointing out incredibly obvious things that everyone knows, did you hear Lincoln was shot?

And yes, I can claim it is bad because I like the books better. Who are you to tell me that I can’t?
    Last edited by Coniferous; 2022-01-05 at 07:58 PM.

With how much some posters rush to defend every single little thing about the TV show you have to wonder if part of amazons budget for the series didn't go to promoting/defending it on various media platforms, because it obviously didn't all find its way to the show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    With how much some posters rush to defend every single little thing about the TV show you have to wonder if part of amazons budget for the series didn't go to promoting/defending it on various media platforms, because it obviously didn't all find its way to the show.
    Lol. Just because others don't hate something like you do doesn't mean they are paid shills. Why is it that people have to always insult those who don't agree with them?
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

It's not a good tv series. Bad pacing incoherent plotlines and inconsistent power levels not to mention the lighting and costuming. I'm honestly trying to figure out where 10 million an episode went almost enough to make you believe in the claims that tv is just used to launder money.

Also your claims of more people have watched the series than have read the book since this is just eye of the world done very badly is highly suspect to say the least.

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt they bothered with mmo champ now some of the mods on dmount and the primary subreddit that might be a different matter, here on the other hand some people just enjoy trolling and are willing to wiki dig to do so.

As someone who hasn't read the books so doesn't care about changes. Does the acting get better after its first few epsiodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    It's not a good tv series. Bad pacing incoherent plotlines and inconsistent power levels not to mention the lighting and costuming. I'm honestly trying to figure out where 10 million an episode went almost enough to make you believe in the claims that tv is just used to launder money.

Also your claims of more people have watched the series than have read the book since this is just eye of the world done very badly is highly suspect to say the least.

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt they bothered with mmo champ now some of the mods on dmount and the primary subreddit that might be a different matter, here on the other hand some people just enjoy trolling and are willing to wiki dig to do so.
    I was more so thinking the reddit/dmount for this. The people here just hear the dogma and don't dare to think independently, which is why they parrot the same bad defenses you see across all platforms for the show (its totally okay, look in the books they are at power level 7, ignoring the fact it takes a dozen books for them to get there, or the fact somehow people can defend Lan not fucking knowing the magical "tell" that Moraine has that somehow in the few days of her being mostly unconcious that Nynaeve picks up).

I just wish people would recognize bad logic and shit writing and stop defending it, especially when the source is well written and has good logic (I am not saying that the WoT/Jordan/Sanderson were the perfect series/flawless written, but is well done and one of the better ones).
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Quote Originally Posted by Coniferous View Post
    The “that’s just subjective” argument is such an “I’m a troll on the internet” statement. Yes, my opinion is subjective. Every single person who has ever said something was good or bad was making a subjective statement.

Stop saying obvious things.

As far as "more people have watched the series than read the books" - yes, more people watch TV than read. Again, not sure why you keep pointing out incredibly obvious, meaningless details as if they are newsflashes. Lots of people watch incredibly trashy reality series, does that mean they are better than the best novels that are read by maybe 1 million people?

While we're pointing out incredibly obvious things that everyone knows, did you hear Lincoln was shot?

And yes, I can claim it is bad because I like the books better. Who are you to tell me that I can’t?
    You cant claim its bad you can only think it is, fact is its not bad at all because more ppl enjoy it that dont like it, you only hate it because you like books and you feel they didnt live up to the expectation you had from reading the books.

>>You cant claim its bad you can only think it is
    >>fact is its not bad at all
    This gave me an ironygasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post

- - - Updated - - -

The majority of data proves you wrong, the numbers dont lie, over 90 million copies sold, 14 volumes means around 6.4million fanbase at the most, viewing numbers put the series at least 19 million viewers so far, books had 30 years to get out there tv series is out a few months.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Cant claim something is bad when you have no taste and the data proves otherwise, its rated over 7, if something is rated over 7 its not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Haha I was about to respond and laugh at that but you beat me to it!

The majority of data proves you wrong, the numbers dont lie, over 90 million copies sold, 14 volumes means around 6.4million fanbase at the most, viewing numbers put the series at least 19 million viewers so far, books had 30 years to get out there tv series is out a few months.

- - - Updated - - -

Cant claim something is bad when you have no taste and the data proves otherwise, its rated over 7, if something is rated over 7 its not bad.
    Correlation is not causation, or else are we to believe that Twilight is one of the greatest written stories of all time (I gagged just typing that).

The tv show may (or may not) be producing more viewership/getting a larger audience, but I can't see how anyone can say it is a better story/better written, it factually/objectively is worse. It falls prey to so many bad writing tropes, and sets so many future pit falls that I laugh at how the writers will inevitably try to ignore/hope the viewers forget.
    Last edited by bledgor; 2022-01-05 at 10:01 PM.

Cant claim something is bad when you have no taste
    I’m not even angry anymore your posts are so bizarre it’s funny!

Correlation is not causation, or else are we to believe that Twilight is one of the greatest written stories of all time (I gagged just typing that).

The tv show may (or may not) be producing more viewership/getting a larger audience, but I can't see how anyone can say it is a better story/better written, it factually/objectively is worse. It falls prey to so many bad writing tropes, and sets so many future pit falls that I laugh at how the writers will inevitably try to ignore/hope the viewers forget/
    All i said is the tv show is good, and that is backed up by the data available, a tv show is there to entertain for a short period of time, but there is only minor adaptations between the book and the tv series, its the same story just altered slightly different, unless you spread out a tv series over 20 or more episodes its going to need to be modified to fit everything in the 8 hours we got.

You cant claim its bad you can only think it is, fact is its not bad at all because more ppl enjoy it that dont like it, you only hate it because you like books and you feel they didnt live up to the expectation you had from reading the books.
    Actually, we quite literally CAN claim it is bad, as a statement of fact for that matter, because we have other things to objectively compare it to including other shows that did an adaption "right" as well as the literal goddamned source material which is objectively superior no matter how you slice it.

Simply put, it's fine if you "enjoy" it when judged on it's own merits because that's your subjective opinion. It's not fine if you flat out refuse to admit that when you stop judging it solely on it's own merits and start comparing it to other things that it basically just stops holding up as "good", no matter how much you enjoy it otherwise.

And sorry, but "quantity" of consumption in not in any way a meaningful metric by which to judge if thing being consumed is "good" by any standard of objective measurement. What you are essentially suggesting by that statement is that McDonalds is "good" food simply because it sells billions of burgers a year and mass consumers "enjoy" it, while simultaneously implying that a world class restaurant that serves only a few thousand meals a year is somehow inferior to Micky Ds because they aren't moving the same numbers. Despite the fact that their meals make the best thing McDonalds ever produced taste like trash.
    Last edited by Surfd; 2022-01-05 at 10:12 PM.