10+ Year Old Account
    Is this game finally fair for f2p players? I played it for some time since 2011, on and off. Got about 50M skill points, but i refuse to RENT it any longer. I would play it if it was one time buy to play model, but f2p u cant train skills above certain skill points treshold and other skills get locked, nor u are able to fly triglavian ships.

This is the time and age where theres lots of great f2p titles or even b2p, so subscription based games like WoW and EVE are just for heavily invested ppl into them
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    Is this game finally fair for f2p players? I played it for some time since 2011, on and off. Got about 50M skill points, but i refuse to RENT it any longer. I would play it if it was one time buy to play model, but f2p u cant train skills above certain skill points treshold and other skills get locked, nor u are able to fly triglavian ships.

This is the time and age where theres lots of great f2p titles or even b2p, so subscription based games like WoW and EVE are just for heavily invested ppl into them
    your only option for f2p past the restrictions you mentioned is to earn enough ingame currency to pay for your subscription, like the WoW token.
    Its called Plex, you can buy it off the market and 500 Plex is 1 months of sub. Value about 1.5 billion isk.
    Its certainly doable, and even a fresh account could earn that in a month but the question is if your willing to grind money ingame just to pay for playing it.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    your only option for f2p past the restrictions you mentioned is to earn enough ingame currency to pay for your subscription, like the WoW token.
    Its called Plex, you can buy it off the market and 500 Plex is 1 months of sub. Value about 1.5 billion isk.
    Its certainly doable, and even a fresh account could earn that in a month but the question is if your willing to grind money ingame just to pay for playing it.
    Could do it, under perfect circumstances, with knowledge of existing systems, with some support from corps that reimburse skill books, etc ,etc, etc. Not doable for people that enter EVE and get smacked in the face with OPTIONS. They are not equally viable to make money off.

Apart from that, indeed, making 1.5bil a month was a drag when you weren't new to the game (as a casual player, that is), let alone being new to the game, so the real question is, how hard do you grind?
    Last edited by Vespian; 2021-09-18 at 10:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeeeah, so thats a no.

ofc i know about PLEX. i remember when they costed 300m each back in may 2011.
    playing whole month just to spend all that hard earned money just to play another month (in the best case) without having any cash to spend on anything else in the game is just crazy.

oh well, at least that answers my question

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Could do it, under perfect circumstances, with knowledge of existing systems, with some support from corps that reimburse skill books, etc ,etc, etc. Not doable for people that enter EVE and get smacked in the face with OPTIONS. They are not equally viable to make money off.

Apart from that, indeed, making 1.5bil a month was a drag when you weren't new to the game (as a casual player, that is), let alone being new to the game, so the real question is, how hard do you grind?
    Throw in most activities need 1-3 alt accounts to assist to make isk optimally or to make things not take longer than you 9-5.

There was a point where i sustained about 15 ish cyno accounts via SP farming and extracting. Not having to put any isk in but not getting anywhere in training. Dunno if thats still break even or not.

My main income is industry. about an hour a day producing t2 rigs on 4 characters and occasionally updating market orders for ~300 mil a day (so very easy to earn money for Omega, but you need starting capital). But I'm weird and enjoy playing with spreadsheets

I hate this new character sheet. They did the classic CCP thing: take something that's fine and doesn't need changing, and give it a flashy new UI that's functionally worse than the old one.

CCP just reached a new low: An EVE Online + Dr Who crossover event.

Doctor Who is coming to EVE Online!

Whovian Capsuleers,

The world of Doctor Who is coming to EVE Online via a limited-time crossover event taking place in New Eden from 13 January!

Doctor Who is the longest running sci-fi series of all time, first being broadcast on the BBC in 1963, and still going strong today. The Time Lord and their many iconic foes are beloved the world over – and now it is up to you, the pilots of New Eden, to continue the fight against the Doctor’s greatest enemy.
    It's just sad at this point.

Why is this a low? Is it the crossover with a seemingly unconnected property? >.>

I don't know a ton about EVE but it did seem a bit odd given that I don't think they've done one before and this is very "out of universe". Wondering this if this may be a Pearl Abyss baby since Japanese/Korean devs/publishers absolutely love them some crossover events. Especially the "Game X IP" format for how this is referenced as, that's how every crossover in Korean games I've seen treats the titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Why is this a low? Is it the crossover with a seemingly unconnected property? >.>

I don't know a ton about EVE but it did seem a bit odd given that I don't think they've done one before and this is very "out of universe". Wondering this if this may be a Pearl Abyss baby since Japanese/Korean devs/publishers absolutely love them some crossover events. Especially the "Game X IP" format for how this is referenced as, that's how every crossover in Korean games I've seen treats the titles.
    Players are mad at CCP over a lot of core gameplay things, some of which have languished for years. And instead of fixing some of it they put dev time into a 2 week crossover event with instanced content in an open universe MMO that no one asked for.

10+ Year Old Account
    how will this be monetized?

For one it completely shits all over EVE Online lore, because in the EVE universe there are no aliens as such, just various strands of humanity. Dr Who is part alien, and the Daleks are wholly so, not to mention all the other aliens in the series.

Then there's the total and utter what-the-actual-fuck-is-this of dumping another franchise into the game in the first place. It's basically an admission by the owners that they don't give a fuck about the integrity of the game. Imagine if Blizzard announced a holiday event for WoW based around an invasion by the Borg, with pictures of Captain Picard and the Enterprise all over the launcher and WoW forums. It's almost surreal. And it's happening in the context of what Gorsameth said.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Imagine if Blizzard announced a holiday event for WoW based around an invasion by the Borg, with pictures of Captain Picard and the Enterprise all over the launcher and WoW forums.
    Considering I give exactly 0 fucks about lore/story for the most part (especially in WoW when I played), this would honestly be bonkers enough to get me to come back to the game just to check out this insanity.

Considering I give exactly 0 fucks about lore/story for the most part (especially in WoW when I played), this would honestly be bonkers enough to get me to come back to the game just to check out this insanity.
    lol, Blizzard might be able to get away with it because WoW has always been tongue in cheek and full of pop culture references. EVE has always felt a bit more grown up and serious (even if the players don't always behave like it) and the nature of the event plus the advertising for it is very much out of step with what EVE has been up to this point.

lol, Blizzard might be able to get away with it because WoW has always been tongue in cheek and full of pop culture references. EVE has always felt a bit more grown up and serious (even if the players don't always behave like it) and the nature of the event plus the advertising for it is very much out of step with what EVE has been up to this point.
    It only feels grown up because you have to do spreadsheets at work.

Well the core problem right now is industry is pure fucked. Ships are not worth it to build. Mining is asshole. Ship ballance is trash. and instead of spending dev time on fixing the issues that are driving the already small playerbase away they do shit like this.

CCP just announced a serious hike to their subscription rates starting May 17th. New prices (in USD, they haven't published the price for other regions yet):

Monthly: $19.99

2 months (new Omega tier): $35.98

3 months: $47.98

6 months: $86.95

12 months: $149.90

24 months (new Omega tier): $270.99

As you might imagine, the community isn't taking the news well at all. The change makes EVE Online the most expensive MMO subscription AFAIK.

As you might imagine, the community isn't taking the news well at all. The change makes EVE Online the most expensive MMO subscription AFAIK.
    It is, now. The only similar pricing I remember is back when SOE/Daybreak had their "all access" sub tier, above the normal sub tier, that granted benefits across all their games.

The community was already pissed off at CCP for selling fitted ships (Retriever Mining Barge) for real money and repeatedly alluring to wanting to push NFT's on players and now they top it off with a 33% sub price increase.

And they do this 2 weeks before Fanfest, their big convention ala Blizzcon.

What in the actual fuck.

I like Eve, I like how player driven it is but man I'm happy to watch it crash and burn at this rate just because CCP seems to desperate to kill their own game.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    The community was already pissed off at CCP for selling fitted ships (Retriever Mining Barge) for real money and repeatedly alluring to wanting to push NFT's on players and now they top it off with a 33% sub price increase.

And they do this 2 weeks before Fanfest, their big convention ala Blizzcon.

What in the actual fuck.

I like Eve, I like how player driven it is but man I'm happy to watch it crash and burn at this rate just because CCP seems to desperate to kill their own game.
    I have mixed feelings. On the one hand I'm like you, happy for CCP/PA to suffer the consequences of their stupid choices. On the other hand, EVE is special and there's nothing like it. The music, the feel of it, I'd be gutted for it to shut down.