Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

[BOOKS] what are you currently reading / have just read

This was a thread before but was deleted somehow

Toll The Hounds - Steven Erikson

This is book 8 of the Malazan Book of The Fallen Series.

I love the series but in my opinion Erikson has a real issue with the Tiste races, they are really boring for the initial part of any book they are in. They are just old and bored and it comes out in the way he writes them, they just kind of wander about regretting what theyve done in the past.

They generally become better as each book goes no and then those books become some of my favourites (reapers gale)but god those initial chapters are bad. I know the series is finished but he should have realised this and put some of the boring chapters (rake, seer domin) next to the more fun Daru chapters, he could have split them better later.

Thankfully I am getting to the bit where they are actually doing something now.

Ive read book one of four, average so far

5+ Year Old Account
    What? Oh noes...

Maybe thread was started by chickendrummer, n they were vacuuming up some of his 10 trillion threads n we lost the book thread this way?

I tried doing a search, couldn't find it either..

90% of server costs prob go to his threads..
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2022-01-05 at 05:13 PM.

After enjoying the film greatly, which is a masterful film, I started reading this a few weeks ago...

15+ Year Old Account
    I must be the worst book reader in the world lol, I think I've been on the first book of the Mistborn trilogy for about 2 years now. I just can't seem to find or make time to read further :/ which is a shame obviously.

Working my way through the horus heresy, up to battle for the abyss.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I looked for that thread a few times and couldn't find it. Thanks for starting a new one. I love seeing what others are reading. Have found a number of book recommendations from it.

As for me, I recently finished both The Poppy War series by R.F. Kuang and The Green Bone Saga by Fonda Lee. I had read the first book of the Poppy War awhile ago and while I thought it was fine, I didn't feel the need to continue. Decided to revisit it and pretty much feel the same about the whole series. It was Fine. With a capitol f. Nothing I really hated but nothing I really loved either.

The Green Bone Saga on the other hand I loved. It goes so many unexpected places and directions, I never knew where it was going but enjoyed every second. The single biggest strength to me though was the Kaul family. They really felt like a real family with all the ups and downs that entails. I cannot recommend it enough.

Right now, I am finally reading the Murderbot Diaries . I didn't realize how short they were, almost more novellas. Currently just about to finish book 4. It looks like book 5 is quite a bit longer though. Really fun. ART rules and I hope he returns somehow. Probably wont. Don't spoil me or anything. I also have some theories about Murderbot and SecUnits in general... No spoilers!

Klara and the Sun - pretty decent, dystopian world, fragile humanity etc etc
    The Power - really good writing, good story, page turner. High concept stuff is hard to pull off but this does it.
    Blueprint for Revolution - funny and interesting, good shenanigans all around.

Reading a few stuff as they come out:One piece,Mushoku tensei(proly should read the LN as the manga is kinda bad,the anime is being adapted better even and thats rare),Boku no hero and i just finished Solo leveling manhwa,wile its drawn extremly pretty its still a fairly bad adaptation,i rly need to get over my aversion of not reading stuff that doesnt have pictures lol,the LN's are so much better material but my monkey brain simply cant read stuff with no pictures

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    Klara and the Sun - pretty decent, dystopian world, fragile humanity etc etc
    The Power - really good writing, good story, page turner. High concept stuff is hard to pull off but this does it.
    Blueprint for Revolution - funny and interesting, good shenanigans all around.
    The Power is getting an adaptation for Amazon Prime. It will be interesting to see if they do the novel justice.

I listened to all of the dune audiobooks at work (Dune through the sandworms of dune). They were all pretty good. Echopraxia by Peter Watts science fiction sidequel to his blindsight novel. Right now I am listening to the uncut version of The Stand by Stephen King. I have read it and listened to it a million times. After this one, I am going to listen to the audiobook Childhood's End by Arther C Clarke. I watched the mini-series and thought it was great. Looking forward to the audiobook. Not too long ago I listened to the audiobooks for Star Wars The Darth Bane trilogy of books, Star Wars Tales of the Jedi and Tales of the Darkside. A long time ago I read the Timothy Zahn Star wars trilogy. I listened to the audio book of those recently.

Uumpteenth re-read of the Wheel of Time series started again. I need a detox after watching 3-4 episodes of the TV ... "adaptation".

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantique View Post
    Uumpteenth re-read of the Wheel of Time series started again. I need a detox after watching 3-4 episodes of the TV ... "adaptation".
    Got through the whole first season.... horrible. Re-reading series

10+ Year Old Account
    Currently starting John Gwynn's Faithful and the Fallen series with the Malice book. Got so many god damn books to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantique View Post
    Was thinking of doing the same I haven't read the books since I was a teenager. Last time I read Eye of the World was back in 1998/1999 with Memory of Light being the last book of the series I read back in 2014. So like 15 years from book 1 to book 14 lol. :P

I could do with another marathon read of the series but as I said so mnay good new books to read, and I really want to get around to reading Poppy War by R. F. Kuang and the Green Bone Saga by Fonda Lee.

Oh and I gotta read the book Hyperion by Dan Simmons, I been hearing good things about that too. Oh my god, someone help me lol. Video games are canceled in 2022, life is books now
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-01-06 at 02:13 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Oh my god, someone help me lol. Video games are canceled in 2022, life is books now
    i think most Fantasy readers have a similar issue, Toll the Hounds which i am reading at the moment is comprised of 4 books, each over 200 pages, it is book 8 of ten.

As a fantasy geek that has just returned from a LONG reading break i rarely get to choose then next book i read

Oh and I gotta read the book Hyperion by Dan Simmons, I been hearing good things about that too. Oh my god, someone help me lol. Video games are canceled in 2022, life is books now
    Hyperion is pretty good, its the canterbury tales in space.

Anyone read the sandman? (just saw both parts on one of the 5 finger discount audiobook sites)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    I listened to all of the dune audiobooks at work (Dune through the sandworms of dune). They were all pretty good. Echopraxia by Peter Watts science fiction sidequel to his blindsight novel. Right now I am listening to the uncut version of The Stand by Stephen King. I have read it and listened to it a million times. After this one, I am going to listen to the audiobook Childhood's End by Arther C Clarke. I watched the mini-series and thought it was great. Looking forward to the audiobook. Not too long ago I listened to the audiobooks for Star Wars The Darth Bane trilogy of books, Star Wars Tales of the Jedi and Tales of the Darkside. A long time ago I read the Timothy Zahn Star wars trilogy. I listened to the audio book of those recently.
    Was it the anniversary version of the Zahn trilogy? With the music and sound effects? Really great. One of my favorite audiobooks along with the full cast audiobooks for His Dark Materials.
    I could do with another marathon read of the series but as I said so mnay good new books to read, and I really want to get around to reading Poppy War by R. F. Kuang and the Green Bone Saga by Fonda Lee.
    Green Bone Saga is great. Highly recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Was it the anniversary version of the Zahn trilogy? With the music and sound effects? Really great. One of my favorite audiobooks along with the full cast audiobooks for His Dark Materials.

Green Bone Saga is great. Highly recommend.
    I don't think it was. I think it was a copy of the old ones. The Darth bane ones, and the tales of the Jedi, and the tales of the darkside had it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    I don't think it was. I think it was a copy of the old ones. The Darth bane ones, and the tales of the Jedi, and the tales of the darkside had it.
    Ah. Well if you ever get the urge to listen to the Thrawn trilogy audiobooks, check out the 20th anniversary edition. Really fun listen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    Hyperion is pretty good, its the canterbury tales in space.

Anyone read the sandman? (just saw both parts on one of the 5 finger discount audiobook sites)
    so I have heard which is what got me like 'okay, sounds weird but I'm in' probably wont be checking it out until later this year. Got so many books queued up :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

I read Life of Pi by Yann Martel, it's worth reading. Great book, I want to write an essay about it. I use a little help of pro writers here to write my essays at the highest level. They helped me hundreds of times. They are pro in writing and proofreading and it's the easiest way to finish my writings at the highest level.
    Last edited by olivs; 2022-01-14 at 10:43 AM.