Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    It's not just games, it's modern capitalism in general. 60-70 years ago, the idea was that if you made a good refrigerator that lasted longer and performed better than the competition, you would be top dog. But then everyone realized that selling a product once is a terrible business model - better to design it to fail in 10-15 years so everyone has to buy several in their lifetime. Now apply that to basically every product forever.
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    as opposed to maximizing profits from micro transactions and the in-game shop?
    "Great" is subjective. What you think isn't great other players think is great. So to them, they are making great games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zirelle View Post
    Did anyone say they found the Square Enix CEO's comments acceptable? I can't see anyone doing it.

Meanwhile you've arrived here calling people hypocrites over things nobody has said.
    If Blizzard had or ever started talking about NFT's as a serious thing, the commentary here would shift to apocalyptic, end-of-days, Blizzard is now truly dying stuff. That's where the hypocrisy lies because no one is saying that Square Enix nor their MMO are on their last dying legs.

That said, most of those people hang around looking for any small sign that Blizzard or WoW is entering their apocalypse phase so they can easily be dismissed.

Blizzard meanwhile is having a small existential crisis in that they can't seem to get new product out and there's nothing special on for this year either.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2022-01-06 at 04:46 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Just like someone said, a Great game requires hiring talent people and lots of investment/seed money.
    If it doesn't sell, you may lose money.

5+ Year Old Account
    Funny how in a thread discussing WoW, the usual sockpuppets immediately went overly defensive with some weird asf "b-b-b-but square enix!1!1!!1one" whataboutism. If you want to discuss the disgusting NFT bandwagon, whether it is about SE or *insert random company here*, kindly go to the corresponding subforum and discuss that @#%& there.

But we have a mod ITT who is seemingly very happy to derail the thread as well, so why am I bothering. Chances are that the state these boards are in is quite reflective of the game overall unsavory situation.

I guess I'm going to get banned, go ahead lol. It will say a lot about the double standards of at least some mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Seems about right. I was pretty shocked by just how many things in FF would be destroyed by the WoW community that nobody seemed to care about when I played through the story of level 1-60 in FF.
    Leveling in FF14 feels a little bit like quest design from bc-woltk times with the hand holding that came in mop+, which is a bit stale combination

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    i think it depends on where you count the token in, technicaly most people use it for sub, but its in fact one of the added service
    It's a premium sub no matter how you look at it. It's a 30 day sub at a premium price that one can trade for gold.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    If Blizzard had or ever started talking about NFT's as a serious thing, the commentary here would shift to apocalyptic, end-of-days, Blizzard is now truly dying stuff. That's where the hypocrisy lies because no one is saying that Square Enix nor their MMO are on their last dying legs.

That said, most of those people hang around looking for any small sign that Blizzard or WoW is entering their apocalypse phase so they can easily be dismissed.

Blizzard meanwhile is having a small existential crisis in that they can't seem to get new product out and there's nothing special on for this year either.
    No one was getting products out during COVID to begin with then the lawsuit stuffs happened. I doubt any other dev would be pumping out products with those two things overlapping.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just make great games 4head.

It ain't easy, you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    It's a premium sub no matter how you look at it. It's a 30 day sub at a premium price that one can trade for gold.
    except you dont have to use it for sub...
    technicaly you NEVER use it for sub, you use it for GAMETIME (and even "regular" gametime we dont know if its count as sub, although its very likely) or battle net balance...

thats why i said it depends where they count it, they can count all tokens as sub (which is incorrect), or count it partialy (subtract amount that was turned into battlenet balance) or count it completely as added service...
    Last edited by Lolites; 2022-01-08 at 03:56 PM.

except you dont have to use it for sub...
    technicaly you NEVER use it for sub, you use it for GAMETIME (and even "regular" gametime we dont know if its count as sub, although its very likely) or battle net balance...

thats why i said it depends where they count it, they can count all tokens as sub (which is incorrect), or count it partialy (subtract amount that was turned into battlenet balance) or count it completely as added service...
    It's the same thing. WoW "sub" cards just added game time. Subscribers are anyone who pays to access the game during the month. Doesn't matter if it's by minute or hour, 1, 3, 6, or 12 month chunks.

Gametime/subscription are synonymous in this regard.

It's the same thing. WoW "sub" cards just added game time. Subscribers are anyone who pays to access the game during the month. Doesn't matter if it's by minute or hour, 1, 3, 6, or 12 month chunks.

Gametime/subscription are synonymous in this regard.
    they are synonymous, but that doesnt mean they count them as the same, they dont have to, and as accountant i would be very surprised if they didnt divide them for internal purposes...
    but thats the least importnant part, as i said before, tokens DONT HAVE TO be turned into sub at all, they can be used for bnet balance...

You make a good game. The game costs a lot of money to make. It sells well for a small amount of time until everyone has it. Then you have to spend more money to make another good game and risk that it doesn't sell well. More profitable to make a game like wow and make money off of a bunch of micro transactions. Less risk.

10+ Year Old Account
    It’s more profitable long term. But they’re not looking for long-term, only what’s trending (mobile games). They’ve thrown out a niche game for a broader, dull audience.
    Last edited by Polybius; 2022-01-08 at 04:37 PM.

fuck

10char
    basically as askyl said. if you want consistent growth and profits, you make a great product. if you want to make buttloads of money, you make great products until you get a cash cow, and then milk it till its dry.

as opposed to maximizing profits from micro transactions and the in-game shop?
    That strategy only applies to consumables.

they are synonymous, but that doesnt mean they count them as the same, they dont have to, and as accountant i would be very surprised if they didnt divide them for internal purposes...
    but thats the least importnant part, as i said before, tokens DONT HAVE TO be turned into sub at all, they can be used for bnet balance...
    They are and have always been counted the same.

They already have an audience of addicts that will continue to pay no matter what they do, so milking them is very profitable for minimal effort.

10+ Year Old Account
    No one was getting products out during COVID to begin with then the lawsuit stuffs happened. I doubt any other dev would be pumping out products with those two things overlapping.
    It's been almost six years since they've released anything that wasn't an expansion or a rework of a previous game. They have nothing new on the calendar to release this year. Their product release planning is abysmal and this goes way beyond the pandemic.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

great products take talent and effort and investment and risk.

mainstream crap takes barely 10% of that yet often makes more $ due to appealing to the lowest common denominator (average consumer).

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    great products take talent and effort and investment and risk.

mainstream crap takes barely 10% of that yet often makes more $ due to appealing to the lowest common denominator (average consumer).
    Mainstream Nintendo Games definitely take a lot of time to make, and still sell extremely well. In fact, they sell so well that Nintendo can still justify selling games like Super Mario Odyssey and BoTW at $60 US.

And even if you don't like Nintendo, they still put themselves at a very high standard in terms of polish. Very few of their games are released in a buggy or unplayable state or need things like a "day one patch."