The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    No point in reading the books for that given just how far they have deviated from the plot in the books.
    While it’s obviously playing out in a lot different ways things like the hunt for the horn and the seanchan are obviously still happening next so going into book 2 isn’t without merit if you want a refresher on how things generally played out.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    Do you think less than 5k is enough of a sample base to even give a remotely accurate reading, at least imbd has over 70k to get something from, you are just trying to use a website that doesnt do stuff accurately to try and back your view.

- - - Updated - - -

Ppl who give 1 ratings when its very obvious its not are just immature children because they didnt get what they imagined the tv series to be, you dont always get what you want so suck it up, the tv series is more than good enough for ppl to give a max rating because what is most important in a tv series is entertainment, if it does that its done its job.

My point stands the series is good, its not the best series ever but is solid and enjoyable, too many series that are good still dont get enough seasons though.
    I agree the show is definitely not a 1, but it is by no means definitely a 10 either. Book bias put aside it has serious flaws that stops it from being a 10, so if you disregard 1s because they're unrealistic you have to disregard 10s for the same reason.

Unless you're full of it and just want your take to be true, logic be damned.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    While it’s obviously playing out in a lot different ways things like the hunt for the horn and the seanchan are obviously still happening next so going into book 2 isn’t without merit if you want a refresher on how things generally played out.
    The big focus for 2nd season is on Moiraine and Lan. That's nothing like the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    The big focus for 2nd season is on Moiraine and Lan. That's nothing like the book.
    Which is what I suspected. Swapping Verin for Moiraine - which cuts out another character. Probably the green sister from season 1 would be used for Perrin's section in Eamone'ds field .. .if that isn't also cut.

i half think they'll cut it entirely.

At this point, even Rand's role is uncertain, they have made enough changes for me to think they will weave an entirely different sotry.

You can also forget Moiraine dying.

We didn't see it, but they killed this series the mometn they dcided to make Moiraine the focus of the story.. it's like making GAndalf the focus on fthe story.. as important and probably the most importnat personality of the series as he was, he actually shines brighter taking a step back, excatly as written.

It's a truth the young and less wise do not realise, that often enough the real stars, and the biggest ones are not the ones at the forefront of the story. Frodo was certainly the hero, not the King Arathor or the elf Legolas, but they were big heroes, Gandalf had smaller on screen role in comparsion, more like an aide or support character, but by the quality ofhis contribution, he was the real hero, the most important and influential character, despite not being at the forefront.

Being in the background allows him to have an even greater effect on the heroes. Ofc you can shift and tell the story more from his perspective.

but they did more than that didn't they, no, they changed tohe story, they changed Moiraine's role, they chagned the story to give her more things to do in more ways too, they cut others roles also - forgetting that we relate to people like us. not huge organisations like the tower or governments.. this is more charming to us, the masses.

Rand is a shepherd boy, with an extraoridinary destiny, as are his two best friends, his intial girlfriend and the wisdom to be we can all relate to their obscurity, and their tale is charming because of how we actually see them grow. IT is so realistic in the sense that you can feel this is what it iwould actually be like if one of us were the Dragon REborn or an AEs Sedai. or a Tav'eren

7+ Year Old Account
    Wasn’t all the talk before the show actually releases about how first season was all about Moiraine? yet we still got a bunch of rand Matt and Perrin.

I’d expect something similar but with the horn hunt and seanchan.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Wasn’t all the talk before the show actually releases about how first season was all about Moiraine? yet we still got a bunch of rand Matt and Perrin.

I’d expect something similar but with the horn hunt and seanchan.
    A bunch is stretching it, not to mention they do so little when they are on screen (namely Rand simping for Egwene). I mean hell he can't even reject the DO on his own thoughts, he has to do it because this isn't the Egwene HE knows!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    A bunch is stretching it, not to mention they do so little when they are on screen (namely Rand simping for Egwene). I mean hell he can't even reject the DO on his own thoughts, he has to do it because this isn't the Egwene HE knows!
    How would you qualify abunch because I wouldn’t be surprised if they make up almost half the screen time.

As to rand and Egwene well I’m not a big fan of upgrading there relationship I wouldn’t say focusing on his feeling for her is miss placed at all the first book had a ton of that and setting up him letting her go in the last episode fits just fine if they are gonna hook him up with some one else.

Screen time doesn't translate to characterization if it's nothing more than "face time."

How would you qualify abunch because I wouldn’t be surprised if they make up almost half the screen time.

As to rand and Egwene well I’m not a big fan of upgrading there relationship I wouldn’t say focusing on his feeling for her is miss placed at all the first book had a ton of that and setting up him letting her go in the last episode fits just fine if they are gonna hook him up with some one else.
    I meant more so the growth, and the fact that people don't even know Rand is the main character, and hardly know what the Dragon Reborn is other than what Moraine is looking for, because they neutered him so badly it doesn't seem impressive or scary or really important. Just because a character is literally on screen doesn't mean you see a bunch of them, or who they are, or what they can do
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Not sure where you're going with this.
    Lmao. Really? You make a claim that people aren't arguing something and I point out that they are. Then you say you don't know where I'm going with it? You are out of touch dude. The topic came up because I said maybe they didn't make the blade closer to the fableblades version because of cost. A less intricate blade would cost less to produce then a more intricate one and the sword doesn't get used beyond book 2 (because it gets destroyed).

- - - Updated - - -

Bigger question; will those who seem to be "Rafesworn" such as rhorl or kenn disappear after the show receives its already overdue cancellation notice?
    Yes, because what is there to discuss in this thread when it is cancelled? Stop being dumb. I'm not rafesword. I have criticisms of the show but it is still a B-tier level fantasy show. I can watch it, and enjoy it, for what it is while not whining and crying about how it isn't a faithful adaptation. I've moved on and let go of that instead of surrounding myself with hate and things I disdain.

The better question is why will you, and the others that hate the show, still stick around hating on it well after it is cancelled?
    Last edited by rhorle; 2022-01-10 at 06:16 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Lmao. Really? You make a claim that people aren't arguing something and I point out that they are. Then you say you don't know where I'm going with it? You are out of touch dude. The topic came up because I said maybe they didn't make the blade closer to the fableblades version because of cost. A less intricate blade would cost less to produce then a more intricate one and the sword doesn't get used beyond book 2 (because it gets destroyed).
    Thanks for laying it out, you didn't expand on it before now.

I disagree with the logic and feel that they should have been more faithful to the book description, simply because it is explicitly described in detail, but at this point I'm not at all surprised the show has yet again taken liberties and changed things.

It's a piss poor adaptation.

That said, I have enjoyed watching it for the most part, but have absolutely zero expectations at this point to them being faithful to the story. I'm just along for the ride to see where they go with it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Screen time doesn't translate to characterization if it's nothing more than "face time."
    Sure I agree but I wouldn’t say that apply’s in this case.

Matt got characterized with his sisters and the little girl he meets, him being terrified with losing him self and of course all the theft stuff.

Perrin with his crushing guilt over his wife and then interest in the way of the leaf and the conflict with doing no harm but also still helping and then of course all the wolf stuff.

Rand is shown to be an over all good boy but also doesn’t like to be miss lead which is why he clashes with moraine and he actively goes seeking knowledge about him self and what’s going on.

Most of this is of course different characterization then the books but none of it is just face time.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Thanks for laying it out, you didn't expand on it before now.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...1#post53538720

You just missed it.

You disagree with the logic that something less intricate costs less to produce? Or the logic that you've been wrong and out of touch? Fableblades has a price range of 4 to 5 digits so that alone indicates intricacy can influence price. Or that they might have tried to save costs on an item that has little screen time outside of a display prop and gets destroyed soon anyways?
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    I meant more so the growth, and the fact that people don't even know Rand is the main character, and hardly know what the Dragon Reborn is other than what Moraine is looking for, because they neutered him so badly it doesn't seem impressive or scary or really important. Just because a character is literally on screen doesn't mean you see a bunch of them, or who they are, or what they can do
    I mean sure they neutered rand power wise but they still build up the character of all three and who they are and in Perrin case even go into the start of his powers.

Honestly if they cut Verin it would be monumentally stupid. Book readers will know why, I’m just too scrub to spoilertag anything so I won’t post why here.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantique View Post
    Honestly if they cut Verin it would be monumentally stupid. Book readers will know why, I’m just too scrub to spoilertag anything so I won’t post why here.
    They might because they don't want to add to many series regulars that only appear a few times now and a few times later on. Which is why some of the existing characters have had their stories shifted or dropped. They are also going to kill off characters that might not die in the books (or will die earlier)

https://ew.com/tv/the-wheel-of-time-...ason-1-finale/

I wanted people to be a little on their toes, because real deaths are coming for characters that don't die in the books. We have to, because we can't hold 2,000 series regulars through multiple seasons
    Mainly what we have to focus on is compression, and then reacting to those compressions. Like, we can't go to Caemlyn because we can't afford it and we don't have time, so that is a great compression, but it has ripple effects. All of those things have ripple effects, so we have to take the stories and tie them back together. We have a big round-up point at the end of season 2 that reconnects everything and pushes us off in a new direction where we've completed all the stories we need to get through, albeit in a slightly different order so we can compress them. We only add new stories when we need to. In season 1, we really needed to emotionally explain mythological things about Aes Sedai and Warders, so we had to add story there. We'll obviously have to add story for Moiraine and Lan (Daniel Henney) because they're basically sidelined for a couple books, but we're not going to put Rosamund Pike on the bench. We have to add some story while we're compressing, so it's still a tense battle to fit every season into those eight episodes.

5+ Year Old Account
    They are right about compressing certan things, there never was any escaping that unless maybe they would be doing 20 episode seasons or something. But that makes the next statement baffling.

In season 1, we really needed to emotionally explain mythological things about Aes Sedai and Warders, so we had to add story there.
    Needed to... why exactly? When you have that little airtime and you have to compress a fuckton of things already. They did not need to. They WANTED to.

We'll obviously have to add story for Moiraine and Lan (Daniel Henney) because they're basically sidelined for a couple books, but we're not going to put Rosamund Pike on the bench.
    Not everybody might agree with me but having your casting determine your story instead of the other way around seems a weird way to go about things.

They might because they don't want to add to many series regulars that only appear a few times now and a few times later on. Which is why some of the existing characters have had their stories shifted or dropped. They are also going to kill off characters that might not die in the books (or will die earlier)

https://ew.com/tv/the-wheel-of-time-...ason-1-finale/
    Of course, and I'm personally on board with that (cutting Baerlon is for example understandable to me) but Verin specifically has the biggest "mind = kaboom" moment in the entire series for me, so she's ABSOLUTELY someone they want to keep around.

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...1#post53538720

You just missed it.

You disagree with the logic that something less intricate costs less to produce? Or the logic that you've been wrong and out of touch?
    I disagree with the logic that using a cheap sword that's less intricate and doesn't come close to matching the description of the sword in the books is acceptable.

Fableblades has a price range of 4 to 5 digits so that alone indicates intricacy can influence price.
    Custom work costs money, real swords made by a blacksmith to actually be functional AS a sword, cost money. Put the two together and you'll get a relatively hefty price tag. Even if the sword cost $2000-$5000(which is on the REALLY high end), that's a drop in the bucket to a show spending $10 million an episode, and therefore should be a complete non-issue.

Or that they might have tried to save costs on an item that has little screen time outside of a display prop and gets destroyed soon anyways?
    They deemed it unnecessary to be faithful to the book, for whatever reason. If it's cost, that's an extremely flimsy and shallow reason considering the budget for the show. IMO, for something like this, when the book is so explicit on how something looks there's not really an acceptable excuse NOT to adhere to it when doing so is completely feasible.

And while the sword doesn't last that long, it does play a pretty significant role in several key scenes, because of how it looks. Heron marked blades are unique, rare and therefore noteworthy. But the show has done an absolutely terrible job highlighting a LOT of things that are significant to the plot. What a heron marked sword actually means, is just one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantique View Post
    At this point it's safe to say spoilers can't matter since it no longer resembles any plot points in the book.

- - - Updated - - -

I think if Rafe & Co had gone back in time it would have been best for everyone.
    Exploring the Age of Legends...just think about that;
    Seeing the respected philosopher, Elan Morin Tedronai teaching...
    Find out what Ared Mosinel was really doing as he loved power more than anything it seems...
    Seeing why Barid Bel Medar is so acclaimed...
    The friendship between Lews Therin and the great archer and swordsman Tel Janin Aellinsar...
    Watching the famed biologist Ishar Morrad Chuain performing one of his scary unethical genetic experiments...
    Seeing the historian Eval Ramman losing at gambling, and his temper...
    Watching Joar Addam Nessosin giving a so-so performance on stage...
    Seeing Duram Laddel Cham win a game of stones against Lews Therin...
    That self-absorbed bitch Mierin Eronaile doing research at the Collam Daan, probably bumping into a departing Saine Tarasind who was turned down for a position there...
    The gifted renowned restorer Nemene Damendar Boann doling out a little pain with the healing, when she isn't doing needlepoint...
    *purrs* Kamarile Maradim Nindar...find out if she really was as her name means; a "vessel of pleasure." What? She was an ascetic..what a tease that must have been for a noted voluptuous beauty...
    Find out what it means to be an investment advisor that Lilen Moiral was supposed to be...

And in the background we have the great cities, the technology, the details of other folk...
    Eight episodes of all of this...ending in a massive apocalyptic boom...that entailed a slow takeover.
    Enter the 2nd season and the War of Power.