Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    At this rate it's probably faster to develop SQ42 in Unreal Engine 5 because their CryEngine version is so hilariously dated now and the work would take half the time they've already sunk into making it, assuming they have done anything with it. Honestly, that's even the route I would have taken a few years ago were I Chris Roberts, but considering how it's been all quiet from CIG as far as any actual tangible evidence that the game is getting worked on, I doubt he has the sense to actually do what is right.
    What I find interesting is that there are a few people in the thread a page or two ago saying how terribly difficult it is to make an MMO instead of a single player game and yet CIG decides to seemingly shelve the single player game for god knows how long while they continue to mess around with the MMO while waiting for their Jesus tech. Why wouldn't they create the "easier" game first?

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
    Indeed, it's not that complicated.
    Based on this it is very complicated. According to you the game is both released and not-released so you can warp what you are saying to fit the narrative.

- - - Updated - - -

Just like when we say that Star Citizen is released in pre-alpha/alpha/early-access or whatever.
    Is it released or not?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    What I find interesting is that there are a few people in the thread a page or two ago saying how terribly difficult it is to make an MMO instead of a single player game and yet CIG decides to seemingly shelve the single player game for god knows how long while they continue to mess around with the MMO while waiting for their Jesus tech. Why wouldn't they create the "easier" game first?
    That's what they were supposed to have done. Since the MMO uses assets completely taken from the single player game. Logic would dictate that you get the single player working in it's entirety with all the planets, environments, characters, art, items etc, working, and then expand it to work with multiple players. It certainly might explain with the multiplayer has seen so little added, because there's no reason to release content if it's not functioning in single player but since we've yet to see a shred of single player content...

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    well, its released to the public so...
    That is not what a "release" means, sorry. We are talking development cycles and a software product. A product is not released until it has exited the pre-release phases.

You can dance and try to sell SC as a released product all you like, but you're objectively wrong on it. Have fun being wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Just like when we say that Star Citizen is released in pre-alpha/alpha/early-access or whatever.
    This statement contradicts itself. A product cannot by definition definition be released in alpha. It's that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
    This statement contradicts itself. A product cannot by definition definition be released in alpha. It's that simple.
    Watch out then he'll come out saying it is not released now! He can't be wrong heh

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Don't worry he'll now switch back to the game not being released as he has been quoted doing both. His defense switches to whatever SC needs at the time.

- - - Updated - - -
    Yeah, I bet. I have been arguing against these guys since what, 2015? All they care about is making SC and Chris Roberts look good. They usually try to twist the narrative like this if people wonder why SC has been in production for almost 11 years and never left alpha. It's so painfully obvious what's going on here.

- - - Updated - - -

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/s...heatres-or-war

Saw this gem on Spectrum, hahaha. Theatres of War missing in action. This is also very typical of CIG - hype something up endlessly, then they just fall radio silent.
    Last edited by Majestic12; 2022-01-10 at 11:20 PM.

Yeah, I bet. I have been arguing against these guys since what, 2015? All they care about is making SC and Chris Roberts look good. They usually try to twist the narrative like this if people wonder why SC has been in production for 12 years and never left alpha. It's so painfully obvious what's going on here.
    Yeah I know, I've been here at least 4 years myself because I find it amusing how much they try to twist things to defend the game. SC can do NO wrong and is the best thing ever made and will be made when it is finished. It is crazy. I like WoW but that game has plenty of flaws, all games have flaws.

- - - Updated - - -

Saw this gem on Spectrum, hahaha. Theatres of War missing in action. This is also very typical of CIG - hype something up endlessly, then they just fall radio silent.
    But they put out tons of content and patches! Sometimes I feel bad for their community on those forums but then sometimes I'm just like "What did you really expect at this point?"

I think in addition to development hell, there could be another problem why Theaters of War has been forgotten: it's predicated around space forces attacking ground targets. The idea is that you spend like 80% of the match on the planet, with one team driving along the highways on jeeps and trucks and capturing outposts on foot while the other team flies around in spaceships trying to stop them, and then eventually the attacking team captures spaceships that they will use to fly up to a space station and invade it on foot at the very end.

Except ground combat is Star Citizen is woefully unbalanced. Infantrymen (even in heavy armor) and ground vehicles stand no chance against pretty much any kind of spaceship, even a small ship. A small ship's tiny weeny little gatling gun will shred up any ground target, and even a small ship's shield generator will shrug off anything a ground vehicle can throw at it long enough for the small ship to aim at whatever is shooting at it and kill it one second. Literally the only thing that can threaten a spaceship from the ground is a missile, but every spaceship in the game has chaffes, and, again, will survive long enough to terminate the ground target. So with this setup, the attacking team will never make it to the spaceport because they only have ground vehicles, and even if the attacking team did get into space, they would never be able to enter the spacestation because it just takes one defending spaceship just shooting anyone who approaches the entrances.

And you can't just make ground vehicles more deadlier against spaceships either, otherwise you're going to end up with unintended sideffects for spacebattles, which is supposed to be the main gameplay loop of the game, where people would probably opt to load up their 890 Jump with tanks and have them deploy through the elevator and shoot at enemy spaceships, while still being within the 890's shield generator and protected, rather than the 890's hangar being used for the intended purpose of carrying extra small ships. The only reason that isn't the meta right now is because tanks don't have hitscan weapons, so it's nearly impossible for them to hit a fast moving spaceship which makes them useless against spaceships.

Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2022-01-10 at 11:40 PM.

No. Just... no.
    MrAnderson, a game that is alpha/early access is not released by definition.
    I think we're getting caught in the lingo terms again and going in circles for no good reason.

Since, we're not in the 80's, 90's, 2000's anymore the terms and their meaning have changed because the industry has changed.

Going to the early access page of a game on steam it show us a "Release Date" in the info of the game..Showing that a game can indeed be released without being finished though, and it has so even more in the recent times.
    If it's called an early access, pre-alpha, beta build whatever it's a marketing term mostly and will vary between projects and the nature of their development. EarlyAcess, Crowdfunding, GaaS and Day one Patches muddied the waters of the old traditional "Going Gold" release of consoles.

If it's out there's a released build worthy enough for the public to buy/pledge/kickstart and play 24/7 and that same build keeps getting updated then that build is a released version of that game. Doesn't mean it's the finished or that it's the final release though. It will just keep on evolving and added upon like every healthy online game. But it is for practical ways released.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I think in addition to development hell, there could be another problem why Theaters of War has been forgotten: it's predicated around space forces attacking ground targets. The idea is that you spend like 80% of the match on the planet, with one team driving along the highways on jeeps and trucks and capturing outposts on foot while the other team flies around in spaceships trying to stop them, and then eventually the attacking team captures spaceships that they will use to fly up to a space station and invade it on foot at the very end.
    It's all about finding the right balance though, Jump Town v2 has shown that ground vehicles (Ballista and even Tanks) can be a threat for ships in the correct terrain. As for ToW, the ships availability only started at stage 2 (there's 3). The 2 times I played on the defensive side and there was no ships to start with so combat was all on foot. Attacking side had some light vehicles, there was still no Tanks at that time. Rocket launchers were the only counter to light vehicles and later ships. Only Stage 2 opened up usage of ships, dogfight in planet atmosphere. Stage 3 opens up all the way to space. Unfortunately with everything being knew and kinda chaotic along with the build being very rough it didn't make for a very great experience. The feedback I managed to provide was mostly about optimization and about spawn options/locations. But then again I only attended one of the testing sessions.
    Last edited by MrAnderson; 2022-01-11 at 01:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

I still think people saying the game never left alpha are being too generous. It has not yet even been gotten to legit alpha.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    Quite the exponential growth for a company some said it was going to collapse in 2015. Will it keep up in 2022?

Taking blows at other video games, bragging about the 3,000 viewers on twitch and the half a billion dollars made selling concept art in a pre-alpha. We are really going through the entire CiG-Apologetics for Dummies manual here just to avoid such a simple question, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Codexian View Post
    Taking blows at other video games, bragging about the 3,000 viewers on twitch and the half a billion dollars made selling concept art in a pre-alpha. We are really going through the entire CiG-Apologetics for Dummies manual here just to avoid such a simple question, huh?
    Yeah it is like we should be happy they have pissed away 400+ million or whatever ridiculous number they have and have very little to show for it after 9 years. What a major accomplishment in gaming! Congrats CIG you have bested all gacha games, all p2w games, and whatever else by selling pictures of ships.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Just to reiterate, because this ridiculous "debate" is still ongoing.

Some of the game is available to test. The complete game has not been released.

This is so fucking easy to grasp that it boggles my mind that there are so many posts about it. Though, pretty standard for this ridiculous thread.
    Yup, same few staunch CIG defenders that try to keep this thread going to make it look like there is something going on in this game besides perpetual little to do tiny slice of a game that is still years away if ever. Woo.

Quite the exponential growth for a company some said it was going to collapse in 2015.
    Was anyone here seriously arguing this in this thread? Was anyone anywhere arguing this after the funding that they'd raised by then?

I'm more impressed that SQ42 is still at least 2 more years off as Roberts packs up to move to the UK and micromanage the studio working on it. I'm sure that'll speed things up and not add more delays as Roberts poor managerial behaviors are brought in full force in-person.

I'll believe it when they show anything though. I'm old enough to remember Roberts talking about how SQ42 was all at least fully grey-boxed in 2016 when he announced it was missing that target ship date and hinting at 2017 as the next target.

I'm still hopeful we'll get great products in the end, but this is a very, very, very messy development cycle with a lot of poor communication on the part of CIG.

Chris Roberts at it again with the scope creep, adding snowboarding mechanics...

to a space game... how dare he.

Can't wait for the snowboard jpg sale. Darn. Here comes another million.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Was anyone here seriously arguing this in this thread? Was anyone anywhere arguing this after the funding that they'd raised by then?

I'm more impressed that SQ42 is still at least 2 more years off as Roberts packs up to move to the UK and micromanage the studio working on it. I'm sure that'll speed things up and not add more delays as Roberts poor managerial behaviors are brought in full force in-person.

I'll believe it when they show anything though. I'm old enough to remember Roberts talking about how SQ42 was all at least fully grey-boxed in 2016 when he announced it was missing that target ship date and hinting at 2017 as the next target.

I'm still hopeful we'll get great products in the end, but this is a very, very, very messy development cycle with a lot of poor communication on the part of CIG.
    Why? There is NOTHING that would indicate the "full" product would not be a messy frankenstein monster of haphazard cash grab after some fire start under their asses.

Chris Roberts 'aiding' the development of SQ42 is basically guaranteed to do the exact opposite as he does 'his thing' and adds unneeded crap and demands things are redone that were finished.

Also the notion that SQ42, the first episode of 3? I believe is still a few years away despite being the supposed main focus of CiG for how long now? simply reinforces my previous statements that SQ42 does not exist. Or maybe is just now starting to somewhat exist.

It certainly is not a game that has been in development for the last decade.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

I like the idea behind SC (and the ambition) but its getting really annoying now. Some of the core mechanics still not ingame, new ships even when some ships (corsair?) are not even finished or in greyscale yet, and the state of the server and the amount of bugs? Yeah.

I want to remain positive they will release, but im starting to become negative, and slowly join the people who think its a massive SCAM.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Chris Roberts 'aiding' the development of SQ42 is basically guaranteed to do the exact opposite as he does 'his thing' and adds unneeded crap and demands things are redone that were finished.

Also the notion that SQ42, the first episode of 3? I believe is still a few years away despite being the supposed main focus of CiG for how long now? simply reinforces my previous statements that SQ42 does not exist. Or maybe is just now starting to somewhat exist.

It certainly is not a game that has been in development for the last decade.
    I might be wrong, didnt they change there development ideas behind SQ42 about 5-6 years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Star Citizen developer lays out increasingly ambitious five-year plan

So, SC and SQ42 will be out before 2026, at least. SQ42 itself still a year or two away. Though, the wording makes me think that'll only be like part 1 of the full game
    Nah, they lie.

They will release jack shit