Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    Dems have moved to strip Greene of her committee assignments.
    Pelosi refused nominees of McCarthy onto the Jan 6th committee.
    Are we just going to pretend all the context around those decisions doesn't exist? I know you're aware of it, so just wondering if we have to tease it out of you or if you'll attempt to make some equivocation.

That's essentially the gauntlet thrown. Republicans, should they retake the House, have every reason to remove certain Democrats from their desired committees. Omar, Schiff, and Swalwell are easy targets. I don't even see the move as anything but rote reaction to moves already made when Democrats had the majority in House, Senate, and Executive.
    "How dare they remove an insane woman and give her punishment for the stupid shit she did."

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

That's essentially the gauntlet thrown. Republicans, should they retake the House, have every reason to remove certain Democrats from their desired committees. Omar, Schiff, and Swalwell are easy targets. I don't even see the move as anything but rote reaction to moves already made when Democrats had the majority in House, Senate, and Executive.
    Greene should be in fucking PRISON, not fucking congress, she DESERVED to have her committee assignments removed, she is a racist piece of shit.
    McCarthy wanted to put 4 people on the committee that were accused of helping the insurrection, you don't put people on an investigation that were part of the fucking crime.

None of the 3 you listed for Democrats have done literally anything wrong to deserve to be removed from their assignments. That is just Republicans just showing how fucking childish they fucking are.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Are we just going to pretend all the context around those decisions doesn't exist?
    Yes.

Accepting the reality of the situation wouldn't allow them to justify blocking/removing Democrats from these committees on the sole basis that they're Democrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Are we just going to pretend all the context around those decisions doesn't exist? I know you're aware of it, so just wondering if we have to tease it out of you or if you'll attempt to make some equivocation.
    I take it as his full throated endorsement of putting racists in positions of power.

You mean the same nominees who were involved?

Or, are you referring to them not wanting overt racists on committees?

Maybe, if the GOP wasn't full of corrupt racists, then it would e easier to fill committee seats. It's weird how the GOP insists on those things being part of their platform.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    This is just pure bullshit sophistry. Greene earned her punishment by being a deranged and unapologetic conspiracy theorist. This isn't some proportional move on the part of McCarthy.
    It's a proportional move by a deranged unapologetic conspiracy theorist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    It's a proportional move by a deranged unapologetic conspiracy theorist.
    I think that's unfair.

He's just a garden-grade fascist. Power for power's sake, without any ideological framework whatsoever beyond the securing of power, until they have enough power and control to comfortably start slaughtering their dissenters and other "undesirables".

You don't have to be deranged or a conspiracy theorist for this. Just straight-up fucking evil. And we really need to stop pretending that "evil" is something only found in fairy tales.

I see Biden is willing to endorse the changes to the filibuster. Its great to see, but I really dislike their timing on it. He needed to push that last year.

I can see this blowing up in their faces with how slow they are about it. Can see them pushing this JUST before the elections only to have Manchin block the stuff anyways in the hopes of the GOP taking back control due to gerrymandering and voter disenfranchisement and then using it to ram stuff down our throats trying to point to the DNC for changing it instead of how they are in charge against the will of the people due to their screwing around.

I understand getting stuff I dislike passed because the majority voted for it and so they got it, it's another thing entirely when they start pushing stuff the majority expressly voted against but the minority stole power through screwing around and did it anyways. Doubly so when their stuff damages us as a nation as clear as day to anyone educated on the subject matter but they don't care because it satisfies their pride and ego and/or it doesn't matter to them because they won't be there to be stuck cleaning up the mess as they will be gone and can move.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    remove certain Democrats
    Let's be clear. They'll remove all democrats from committees. The GOP is no longer even maintaining the facade of supporting democracy.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    I see Biden is willing to endorse the changes to the filibuster. Its great to see, but I really dislike their timing on it. He needed to push that last year.

I can see this blowing up in their faces with how slow they are about it. Can see them pushing this JUST before the elections only to have Manchin block the stuff anyways in the hopes of the GOP taking back control due to gerrymandering and voter disenfranchisement and then using it to ram stuff down our throats trying to point to the DNC for changing it instead of how they are in charge against the will of the people due to their screwing around.

I understand getting stuff I dislike passed because the majority voted for it and so they got it, it's another thing entirely when they start pushing stuff the majority expressly voted against but the minority stole power through screwing around and did it anyways. Doubly so when their stuff damages us as a nation as clear as day to anyone educated on the subject matter but they don't care because it satisfies their pride and ego and/or it doesn't matter to them because they won't be there to be stuck cleaning up the mess as they will be gone and can move.
    I think we need to take a sober look at the Biden administration, I don't see a universe where he is actually for changing the filibuster. All of the progressive things that he said he would passed have stalled or he has simply refused to do it. Democrats have also dropped most of it without even trying to negotiate (*cough $15 minimum wage) or forgotten entirely (erasing student debt, bring back net neutrality, immigration policy changes). The voting rights was never a priority and this is a sad attempt to show that he is "doing something", I think we will look back at Biden's presidency in his own words to donors "Nothing will fundamentally change".

The pessimist in me doesn't see 2024 election ending in nothing but a Trump victory hopefully this time I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    I think we need to take a sober look at the Biden administration, I don't see a universe where he is actually for changing the filibuster. All of the progressive things that he said he would passed have stalled or he has simply refused to do it. Democrats have also dropped most of it without even trying to negotiate (*cough $15 minimum wage) or forgotten entirely (erasing student debt, bring back net neutrality, immigration policy changes). The voting rights was never a priority and this is a sad attempt to show that he is "doing something", I think we will look back at Biden's presidency in his own words to donors "Nothing will fundamentally change".

The pessimist in me doesn't see 2024 election ending in nothing but a Trump victory hopefully this time I am wrong.
    I see it as a return to status quo mostly. Part of me wonders if Manchin is actually doing this obstruction with Biden and the DNC's blessing to make sure they don't have to do the stuff. This was stuff that his history really didn't show him supporting to begin with.

They are hoping to run on, "At least things got better and we aren't as screwed up as they are!".

Have to remember what the average age of the politicians are and what the age of the average voter is. Those politicians know the younger generations choice is to vote for them or stay home because there isn't any other option with voting 3rd party effectively just staying at home with its actual impact given our system.

I really don't see politicians REALLY doing anything for another decade or so till their voter base dies off and those left that are voting are still pushing for the stuff. Unless the younger generations come out, that's the best we can hope for I believe.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    I see it as a return to status quo mostly. Part of me wonders if Manchin is actually doing this obstruction with Biden and the DNC's blessing to make sure they don't have to do the stuff. This was stuff that his history really didn't show him supporting to begin with.

They are hoping to run on, "At least things got better and we aren't as screwed up as they are!".

Have to remember what the average age of the politicians are and what the age of the average voter is. Those politicians know the younger generations choice is to vote for them or stay home because there isn't any other option with voting 3rd party effectively just staying at home with its actual impact given our system.

I really don't see politicians REALLY doing anything for another decade or so till their voter base dies off and those left that are voting are still pushing for the stuff. Unless the younger generations come out, that's the best we can hope for I believe.
    I don't think we have the luxury of waiting for change in the next few decades best case scenario we avoid turning into a dictatorship akin to Russia via sheer dumb luck of the right people dying at the right time or plain incompetence of the GOP. The laws these republicans are writing are straight of Putin's vision of "democracy", as we have seen during Trump's tenure China and Russia will continue to grow in power and influence while the US descends further into madness.

What the left lack is leadership, all the people leading the party have one foot in the grave and creatures of the system. Who knows maybe some dark horse will come out of nowhere and save this shit show. The DNC is too tied up to moneyed interests to do what needs to be done, the only way to combat Trumpism is to do radical change people can attest to the very thing they are against.

I don't think we have the luxury of waiting for change in the next few decades best case scenario we avoid turning into a dictatorship akin to Russia via sheer dumb luck of the right people dying at the right time or plain incompetence of the GOP. The laws these republicans are writing are straight of Putin's vision of "democracy", as we have seen during Trump's tenure China and Russia will continue to grow in power and influence while the US descends further into madness.

What the left lack is leadership, all the people leading the party have one foot in the grave and creatures of the system. Who knows maybe some dark horse will come out of nowhere and save this shit show. The DNC is too tied up to moneyed interests to do what needs to be done, the only way to combat Trumpism is to do radical change people can attest to the very thing they are against.
    I definitely see us on that cusp. The GOP that remains will gladly burn this nation to the ground to make sure they are the ones continuing to rule over the ashes and they have a real chance of pulling it off given how shameless they are and how spineless the DNC are, the question really becomes will the public allow it at this point.

The main thing that held the GOP back for so long before was they didn't realize just how far they could push it till Trump came along and pulled his crap, that showed them just how far they can go and will actually be liked for it by their base. The DNC largely, to me, doesn't even look to be an actual choice and more to be an illusion of choice to prevent actual alternatives from getting in at this point. They only do just enough to keep the ship from sinking but don't want to actually do what is asked of them or fix the issues that they get to use as wedges or make donors money.

10+ Year Old Account

So let me get this straight, you're chastising Biden for not waving his magic president wand to end the filibuster, which would allow the party with a slim majority to run ripshod over legislation, but are also predicting a crushing defeat of the democrats in 2022 in which the republicans, now free of having to deal with the filibuster, that you want removed, will control both houses of congress.

And not only that, but you're predicting that Trump will work his way back into America's good graces in such a way to win in 2024 and that he and the GOP will once again have control of congress and the executive office.

And you want the filibuster to not exist in a system like that. You both espouse the inevitability of a Republican controlled legislature and executive, and also bemoan the existence of the filibuster.

Alright.

I think the filibuster should be removed too. But I'm not so doom and gloom as to have my predictions think that I'd actually be shooting myself in the foot by doing so, as is the only logical conclusion of your doom and gloom mindset.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't even say it's "moneyed interests". They've just drank way too much of the "kompromise" kool-aid. It's not even recent, nor limited to cross-party stuff; they've been trying to hold blue-dog Democrat interests tighter than the interests of the people they represent.

What needs to happen is, as you say, leadership. Don't find the lowest-common-denominator that everyone will vote for. Pick a bold new vision, and publicly shame and expose those who stand against it. Like, this new "voting rights" push. Pick a simplistic maxim. "One citizen, one vote, every citizen, every vote". Something like that. And then, when someone pushes back, take that debate public. Ask them to specifically detail which individuals or groups they want to disenfranchise and deny representation to. Dog them about it when they try and change the subject. If they say they don't want that, then you thank them for publicly backing your initiative, and that you'll A> expect them to vote accordingly when the bills come up, and B> you're gonna call them out publicly and demand an explanation when/if they don't.

Hold their feet to the fuckin' fire for once. They don't play ball? Sorry about all those committee positions you will never, ever get again. Don't worry about informing your constituents; we're gonna make it very clear to them why your dishonesty and malicious conduct has gotten you sidelined.

The game is only rigged because those in charge let it be rigged. Literally all it takes is saying "fuck it, no more." But the majority of sitting Democrats don't have the gonads to follow through. They just whine and say "shucks" and nothing changes.

And seriously, you folks need to stop electing people like Biden, and elect more people like AoC.

"Oh, we can't do that, Republicans would never compromise ever again!"

1> Good. Fuck 'em. Compromising your principles means you don't have principles.
    2> They're not playing ball now, so why keep playing the game? They took their ball and went home, let them fuck off and make your own game without them.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    There are still too many Democrats in general that aren't taking this shit seriously. I think many are still under the impression that no matter what; the institution will always remain standing. Biden is more like the president we deserve; not the president we need.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Let's be clear. They'll remove all democrats from committees. The GOP is no longer even maintaining the facade of supporting democracy.
    I'm sure they'll find a place for the Democratic versions of Liz Cheney and Adam Kinzinger.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    You assume this was because of their status as republicans, instead of their batshit insane political stances up to and including that the January 6th election was stolen, that the insurrectionists were somehow martyrs, that COVID is a hoax, and that jews control space lasers.

Now, that being a republican and being batshit insane are slowly becoming more and more similar is not anyone's fault but the republicans. But the onus is on them to expel these members from their ranks, and until they do, the democrats will do their best to prevent these dangerously insane individuals from harming the country by stripping them from acting in an official capacity as much as they possibly can.

Or, to put this another way... why do you despair the removal of, or even potentially, want, dangerously deranged individuals in positions of power?
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    This is just pure bullshit sophistry. Greene earned her punishment by being a deranged and unapologetic conspiracy theorist. This isn't some proportional move on the part of McCarthy.

She's got a few more notches on the batshit crazy meter than the mentioned Democrats, but don't assume for an instant that those Democrats are not also vulnerable to being called vile, despicable individuals that should've resigned in disgrace long ago. Had they any vestige of decency, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    You mean the same nominees who were involved?

Or, are you referring to them not wanting overt racists on committees?

Maybe, if the GOP wasn't full of corrupt racists, then it would e easier to fill committee seats. It's weird how the GOP insists on those things being part of their platform.
    If you'd like, let's have McCarthy choose the Democrats on the committee and Pelosi hand-select the Republicans. I can live with that.

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Greene should be in fucking PRISON, not fucking congress, she DESERVED to have her committee assignments removed, she is a racist piece of shit.
    McCarthy wanted to put 4 people on the committee that were accused of helping the insurrection, you don't put people on an investigation that were part of the fucking crime.

None of the 3 you listed for Democrats have done literally anything wrong to deserve to be removed from their assignments. That is just Republicans just showing how fucking childish they fucking are.
    If there's chants of "Lock Her Up," at her next rally, I'll know we've come full circle on the norms of threatening jailtime for political representatives.
    Last edited by tehdang; 2022-01-12 at 04:06 AM.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

10+ Year Old Account
    She's got a few more notches on the batshit crazy meter than the mentioned Democrats, but don't assume for an instant that those Democrats are not also vulnerable to being called vile, despicable individuals that should've resigned in disgrace long ago. Had they any vestige of decency, that is.
    So what dangerous conspiracy that prompted a lethal insurrection attempt did Omar and the other scary women of color democrat boogeymen promote?
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2022-01-12 at 04:26 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you run that broad a brushstroke, then you'll paint every single member of Congress. Because in no other way are they legitimately called "vile, despicable individuals that should've resigned in disgrace long ago."

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils