Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Next time start with the actual article instead of some random youtuber. I’m too tired to comment fully. I’ll get back to this.
    Or you could have watched the video and searched for the article cited word for word. It's not hard.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.reuters.com/legal/govern...sm-2022-01-11/

Make Combating Domestic Terrorism Great Again.

It doesn't have a good ring to it, but it's good shit.
    Now while this is something we've desperately needed for ages with the rise in domestically bred extremism, you and I both know that the Republicans are going to abuse the fuck out of this the very moment they get their greasy hands on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    Now while this is something we've desperately needed for ages with the rise in domestically bred extremism, you and I both know that the Republicans are going to abuse the fuck out of this the very moment they get their greasy hands on it.
    I find it far more likely they'll just disband it or fire the acting lead and "fail to find a replacement," as was the case with most oversight-type government bodies under the trump administration.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can see them going through another round of Benghazi-type congressional hearings for basically everyone on the Jan 6th committee. I hope that if it comes to that the Democrats will resist a subpoena until forced this time around. Now that the Republicans have established that sort of behavior is "OK".
    Last edited by Taifuu; 2022-01-12 at 11:05 AM.

Next time start with the actual article instead of some random youtuber. I’m too tired to comment fully. I’ll get back to this.
    You don't like Beau of the Fifth Column? The guy is a straight shooter, tells it like it is, and always has sources for his claims.

Watch his videos, you might learn something.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, it looks like the January 6th Committee interviewed the so called "FBI Instigator" that far right wing pundits and conspiracy theorists claim was that the FBI started the insurrection. His name is Ray Epps. There has been several videos of Epps encouraging people to attack the capitol on January 5th, the night before the attack, prompting some people to cheer for it, and some to claim he was a fed.

The reason he was being interviewed, was 2 GOP Senators have accused the FBI of having people instigating the attacks, accusing Epps of being one of them when they questioned Director of the FBI Christopher Wray.

The only reason he hasn't been charged with a crime, is because they have no evidence of him entering the capitol or attacking cops outside like the 700 other arrested insurrectionists.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/11/polit...lag/index.html

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I find it far more likely they'll just disband it or fire the acting lead and "fail to find a replacement," as was the case with most oversight-type government bodies under the trump administration.
    Kyle Rittenhouse isn't doing much except ̶r̶e̶c̶r̶u̶i̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶p̶o̶o̶l̶ ̶b̶o̶y̶ being wooed to be an intern.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drutt View Post
    Or you could have watched the video and searched for the article cited word for word. It's not hard.
    fuck your video
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    fuck your video
    You're welcome!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    You don't like Beau of the Fifth Column? The guy is a straight shooter, tells it like it is, and always has sources for his claims.

Watch his videos, you might learn something.
    Yes, he's a good watch.

https://apnews.com/article/capitol-s...cb74703a26a1bb

Unsurprisingly, Gym Jordan won't cooperate with the committee and is begging them to subpoena him.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...m-16770784.php

And in other news, the committee wants to speak with House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy about his communications with the former president and CoS Mark Meadows on Jan. 6.

10+ Year Old Account
    tells it like it is
    This term needs to die already.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Fifth column? Ah, yeah, no. Not interested in his libertarian anarchist nonsense.
    So, you don't like the truth? Not surprising, you have seemed to have come unhinged lately.

I don't think he is libertarian either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    This term needs to die already.
    Watch his videos, they are great.

The fuck are you attacking me for? Because I don’t like your favorite libertarian youtuber?
    Nope, because your takes have been pretty shit lately.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I wanted to watch YouTube videos I'd be on YouTube. This being a discussion forum I prefer to operate with readin' & writin'.
    /s

https://www.axios.com/kevin-mccarthy...1db50c657.html

Kevin McCarthy also says, "Why yes, I do have plenty to hide." and declined to voluntarily be interviewed by the committee.

Let them subpoena his ass.

When he refuses the subpoena he needs to be promptly jailed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    When he refuses the subpoena he needs to be promptly jailed.
    I mean, anything short of that and Congressional subpoenas are just really official requests that you can just say "nah" to without consequence.

Should be the same thing as court subpoenas; you ignore it, that's contempt, and you can enjoy a jail cell until you change your mind. If that's 30 years, so fuckin' be it.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I mean, anything short of that and Congressional subpoenas are just really official requests that you can just say "nah" to without consequence.

Should be the same thing as court subpoenas; you ignore it, that's contempt, and you can enjoy a jail cell until you change your mind. If that's 30 years, so fuckin' be it.
    I agree. And it looks like we're going to have a series of toothless subpoena's for the instigators and inciters of the Jan 6 Insurrection. McCarthy is a "nope". Gym Jordan as well. And since we can't seem to hold those in the highest offices responsible for their actions, we're done before we even really start.

Plus, the GQP will take the House later this year, and they will start their own investigations into every insane conspiracy theory their bat-shit crazy fan base pushes, and then it's the beginning of the end for America's Democracy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I agree. And it looks like we're going to have a series of toothless subpoena's for the instigators and inciters of the Jan 6 Insurrection. McCarthy is a "nope". Gym Jordan as well. And since we can't seem to hold those in the highest offices responsible for their actions, we're done before we even really start.

Plus, the GQP will take the House later this year, and they will start their own investigations into every insane conspiracy theory their bat-shit crazy fan base pushes, and then it's the beginning of the end for America's Democracy.
    I'd argue the beginning of the end is more appropriately pegged to some much-earlier point. This has been an ongoing assault for decades, and what you're seeing isn't a system that's just now being attacked, it's a system so worn down it's about to fail.

The timeline comparison is to Germany 1933. The only real difference is that the Nazis successfully played off the Reichstag Fire to secure power, whereas Republicans failed to do so on January 6. But the two events were directly comparable. And without consequence, they'll light another fire under some other Reichstag and try again, having learned better how to pull it off this time. That's how close to the edge the USA is, and that isn't hyperbole in any way whatsoever. You've already got Republican representatives calling for the mass executions of their rivals. That's happening, right now.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I'd argue the beginning of the end is more appropriately pegged to some much-earlier point. This has been an ongoing assault for decades, and what you're seeing isn't a system that's just now being attacked, it's a system so worn down it's about to fail.

The timeline comparison is to Germany 1933. The only real difference is that the Nazis successfully played off the Reichstag Fire to secure power, whereas Republicans failed to do so on January 6. But the two events were directly comparable. And without consequence, they'll light another fire under some other Reichstag and try again, having learned better how to pull it off this time. That's how close to the edge the USA is, and that isn't hyperbole in any way whatsoever. You've already got Republican representatives calling for the mass executions of their rivals. That's happening, right now.
    I think we agree on principle, just perhaps not the particular phraseology (gotta love The Music Man).

The United States had been building up to this point all the way since Reagan took office and allowed his peeps to run amok throughout the world with near impunity (we could go back further, but the '80's are when we started seeing the direct evidence (Oliver North and Iran Contra, etc). All kinds of low-key things started happening, none of which can be pointed to specifically, but all of which was the Start. Then Newt Gingrich burned down the office of the President when he went after Clinton for having an affair while Newt was also having an affair at the very same time. The GPQ also started targeting state and local level offices around the country in the '80's. This embedded them in areas that were key to deciding larger offices, with county commissioners, state SecStates, etc. Local school boards and city councils were also included. This assault was initially began by GOP middle road and then taken over during the conversion to the "Tea Party".

The middle of this downslide was about two decades ago, when a GQP conservative splinter group, the Tea Party, decided that it was their way or the highway. They stopped negotiating legislation, and their small faction was able to control the rest of the GQP initially through inaction and then by primarying middle road conservatives, threatening those that "compromised" (which is almost the very embodiment of politicking). The Tea Party group secured positions by knocking out middle-of-the-road Republicans who had a long standing history of working with the other side to pass legislation. This moved the entire "conservative" party even farther right, and also set up future GQP competition to lean even further right in order to win primaries.

In the past decade we've seen the trend continue, culminating with Trump's shocking nomination and unfathomable win. We then arrive where we are today, with previous Residents claiming they won an election they factually lost, with literal conspiracy theory nut jobs winning Congressional seats, and a violent Insurrection being planned, executed, failed, and unpunished.

If history books still exist in the coming decades, it will be interesting to argue and debate where that proverbial Beginning of the End actually was. To me, it will always be Trump's election. That was truly the road to perdition. Really the only thing we are missing is some global crisis (and, ironically, it's not COVID - at least not anymore) to allow the GQP to seize illegitimate power and effectively destroy the United States. I don't think there will be a United States' Reichstag Fire - I think that "fire" is a smolder that is already taking grip.

10+ Year Old Account
    Watch his videos, they are great.
    Sometimes I watch Opinion videos like that, i'll check it out next time it creeps into my recommended videos on youtube.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.