Poll: Do you think the new RIOT MMORPG will dominate the MMORPG Market?

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I expect it will be big simply because its from Riot, regardless of how good the game actually is, a shitload of players will flock to it (so long as its not release F76 bad).
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    I expect it will be big simply because its from Riot, regardless of how good the game actually is, a shitload of players will flock to it (so long as its not release F76 bad).
    I dont think they are going to go big. Their target audience is probably lol players that also like to play mmos. So a bit of a niche, not really targeted at most common crowd
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as media and story building I must say Riot has been killing it, it's been amazing. I think they will succeed with a mmorpg.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    First time I hear about Riot making one MMO... I got a bad feeling about it... think they would most like to go all Genshin impact and heavy target the mobile market with their MMO, I don't think after New World kinda bombed anyone would make PC only MMOs anymore, multiple Platform free to play with huge store and power upgrades and so on like Genshin Impact is where the money is right now!

I don't play their game, but they seem to be quite competent when it comes to literally any of their visual media. So I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. But its to early to tell.
    Last edited by Very Tired; 2022-01-13 at 04:56 AM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think they could pull it off with a wellpaded ingame shop + game tokens for gold even with the game being entirely free seeing as that's the basis of the success of their moba - or they'll do it like runescape with a part that's entirely free and requires no sub and a part that does require sub. Rockstar has certainly proven that the big investment can make itself back in just a couple years and become a consistent moneymaker with a bit of care and following sufficient success even if it's just buying the base game that grants you access, since the shop is where they make the real money.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    I dont think they are going to go big. Their target audience is probably lol players that also like to play mmos. So a bit of a niche, not really targeted at most common crowd
    That's silly as hell to believe. They're absolutely going for the biggest target audience possible.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gosuabbbff View Post
    Valorant generated some buzz back in beta, but has dropped drastically since then. It isn't the next OW or CS and like most Riot games, they're painfully average although somewhat polished catchups for Valve's and Blizz's titles. Personally I think the game is shit. They're also all F2P which might explain some of the user count.
    Dropped drastically???? It still has at least 100k every single day on twitch

Cautious optimism, I guess.

Riot is very good at what used to be Blizzard's strategy: take something that exists, and make a better version of it with their own stamp on it. They don't have a spotless record, but they're one of the only big players left you can genuinely expect to succeed at a task like this. Having key ex-WoW people on board is certainly a plus as well.

That being said, MMO design is a minefield. There's so much that can go wrong even if you just make "a WoW clone" - and nobody really thinks they will, which means added pitfalls because you also want to innovate.

MMORPGs are a tricky proposition in this day and age. Finding the right way to spice them up for contemporary tastes but preserve what made MMOs great in their heyday is going to be a tall ask.

CAN Riot succeed? Absolutely. More perhaps than anyone else could. WILL they succeed? Too early to tell. Could be brilliant, could collapse spectacularly. We don't know enough to say either way yet.

Quote Originally Posted by uzira View Post
    It had around 1.7 million viewers when the beta dropped, but I guess that had more to with Riot inflating those numbers by bribing viewers aka beta key.

It might be big at launch but unless it brings its own mark on the MMO market I don't see the RIOT MMO last in time. The studio has its fanbase tho so let's see how it work out for the game.

I don't think any mmorpg is going to get the significant numbers developers dream of ever again. Look at the two most popular over the last 20 years and thats WoW and FFXIV which are both brands with a lot of consumer recognition and goodwill from other games that supported them in ways other games don't have. Same for the Elder scrolls to a lesser extent.

But look at every release in the last few years. Its either a microbudget hoping to fill a hyper niche and often failing or something expecting the world and dwindling like new world settling at around 10% of its launch numbers and currently sitting at 24 hour peak of 87k players total from nearly a million.

Its no secret why mmos are almost always trying to be some 'forevergame' that people think they need to play all day every day. To date i think Naoki Yoshida is the only dev i've seen say "don't play all the time, when you are bored play something else then come back" which to many mmo devs would be seen as corporate suicide. But Final Fantasy is again one of the biggest brands in gaming with a history of over 3 decades and nearly 100 titles. They can afford to.

In this case at best it will be a "hey they made an arcane mmo" appeal to the mainstream crowd. Because anyone who knows videogames knows league of legends and the reputation of its players. To date its pretty unanimous to hear phrases like "the only userbase more toxic than WoW is LoL" and now they are trying to make a WoW competitor for the LoL audience? the very idea alone is going to set people up to expect a absolute shitshow from default and will make some people wary that otherwise might not be.

Of course it could also do the opposite and make people that love the setting and characters but hate the cesspool userbase of LoL want something with more permanence than the runeterra cardgame jump in too. But its an mmo. Its not just about getting people to try it. Its about getting them to stick around.

Thats the thing 90% of new mmos struggle with. Mostly because they try to make a live service game forgetting a lot of mmos succeeded by letting the player have room to make their own fun rather than have a daily login checklist like its a mobile game.

Time will tell and assuming it not a shitshow it will probably have an audience but like every new mmo you have people hyping themselves up going "this time its real, that mountain? i can climb it, its the real forevergame this time" and set expectations impossibly high and i think like every new mmo its people setting up something on a pedestal in their mind rent free that does not, did not and never will exist.

MMORPGs are 'meh' atm... still waiting for that deep dive VRMMO...

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    MMORPGs are 'meh' atm... still waiting for that deep dive VRMMO...
    Just to point out, Sword Art Online was based in 2022....

Quote Originally Posted by uzira View Post
    It's still a weak game with serious desync issues that go entirely unaddressed since launch. Not to mention it's a smurf parade with an occasional cheater, or that the actual player count is so low Rito can't afford to split solo and premade queues, leading to regular 5 solo vs 5 premade games. I've also been meeting the same players daily around gold rank, which is supposedly the most populated rank.

So yeah, it has some viewers, it's a nice game to watch, but it's also borderline unplayable on lower ranks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

In my opinion, Riot and Blizzard are essentially two version of the same kind of developer: take something that works, improve it and make it your own with a very recognizable style. So yes, i believe that they are the only ones that can actually cause a real shift in the MMORPG market and i do believe that we can end up having a situation that reminds of what happened between Everquest and WoW back in the day.

By this i do not mean to say that they will be able to replicate the WoW phenomenon, because that was mostly being the right service at the right time, but becoming the most played and followed MMORPG by directly replacing WoW for most of it's own playerbase, with certain capacity to attract people from outside the genre? they can certainly do that.

And is not just the potential pool of players they have with LoL, they've been doing some really good and succesful world building with things like Arcane and i guess they'll keep doing such things, so eventually that's also a pool of potential players they can tap into.
    "Mastery Haste will fix it."

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Straight forward question, do you think the new Riot MMORPG that will be coming out in 2024/2025 will be the new "King" of MMORPGS ?
    Riot has one of the biggest fan base around, people are tired on how bad the MMORPG market is right now and are screaming for something new.

People love the LoL universe and probably wanna live inside one too, do you think their fanbase is gonna make the MMORPG market explode again?

Do you think Riot will be able to pull of the next new hit and will be like WoW once was, such a big MMORPG that it will make most MMORPG's look like nothing?
    the fanebase is completly irelevant if the game isnt atleast decent,look at new world,had one of the biggest starting succes we seen for an mmo in a long time,it still died because its a joke worse than fallout76 on launch

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Druid ist Op View Post
    it will have zero players to pull from, ff14 dogs will palye ff, wow players will still play wow cuz it has the best endgame pve and they are invested 17 years into it and the lol players/moba players will play mobas it will be a new world 2.0 big for a week and die
    there are places to pull from,gw2/eso/runescape/eve all have decent numbers,new world managed to get what?1m+ playing it at the start?they simply squandered it because the game is meme levels bad

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Cautious optimism, I guess.

Riot is very good at what used to be Blizzard's strategy: take something that exists, and make a better version of it with their own stamp on it.
    Idk man, I actually like Dota (2) more than LoL and CSGO more than Valorant; Like all are good games but there's way too much choice out there today that I wouldn't expect Riot's MMO to be that much different and more popular from anything else in the market today.

New World without any relevant franchise to back it up and without a studio that has any experience in making (any) games the first week had like 1 million people and the hype was huge.

LoL is a huge franchise most people in here including myself no nothing about and are curious to learn a few things, furthermore Riot is an established developer, it has tried and succeeded in many genres and until the MMORPG game comes they will have probably dominated some more genres like fighting.

Therefore, i fully expect their game, whenever it comes out, lets say in 5 years, for the first month it will have at least 3 million people, but the hardest part for any MMO comes after the first month when the honey-moon phase ends and the people will need to pay some form of subscription (even if it free to play) to proceed.

To sum it up i expect it to go very well in terms of sales, it will be well received and played for a month, the hype from every MMORPG fun and gamer in general will be huge but in order to become the biggest MMORPG it will take at least 3-4 years after its initial launch.

Quote Originally Posted by ek0zu View Post
    New World without any relevant franchise to back it up and without a studio that has any experience in making (any) games the first week had like 1 million people and the hype was huge.
    A week doesn't make a MMO succesful IMO. Isn't New World practically dead now?