Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Feels like WoW has more players again

Anyone else has been noticing this? Last few months i've been in hanging around WoW and i am slowly seeing more and more activity everywhere i go. Trade chat is more active, Goldshire is more alive (Argent Dawn) and so on.

Does anyone else noticed this or am i just imagining things? Ofc it is no where near oldskool level but i do seem to see an increase in players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

I haven't noticed any difference no, but they could just be phasing players together more aggressively.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    I haven't noticed any difference no, but they could just be phasing players together more aggressively.
    Argent Dawn makes use of 0 Sharding or Phasing. (Roleplay realm)

Oh, nice. Could be then!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Anyone else has been noticing this? Last few months i've been in hanging around WoW and i am slowly seeing more and more activity everywhere i go. Trade chat is more active, Goldshire is more alive (Argent Dawn) and so on.

Does anyone else noticed this or am i just imagining things? Ofc it is no where near oldskool level but i do seem to see an increase in players.
    Eh, been quite lively for a while, though measuring on Trade Chat activity isn't a good idea, or Goldshire on Argent Dawn, as many there are people from other servers on sightseeing in groups.

Still believe WoW holds a good number overall, just not as in hardcore reveal any more.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Eh, been quite lively for a while, though measuring on Trade Chat activity isn't a good idea, or Goldshire on Argent Dawn, as many there are people from other servers on sightseeing in groups.

Still believe WoW holds a good number overall, just not as in hardcore reveal any more.
    Why you think so though? And what you consider a good number? Activity websites shows that WoW might not even be in top 3 anymore and that is a big fall if you can imagine WoW was always (even on these kinda activity websites) far above any other MMORPG. Unless Blizzard has been blocking some trackin' within the game but why wouldn't they reveal it instead of getting all the negativity on them. It isn't help on the game all the hate.

I do hope i am right and people are returning for what ever reason. Or might just see more people going back at older content.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Why you think so though? And what you consider a good number? Activity websites shows that WoW might not even be in top 3 anymore and that is a big fall if you can imagine WoW was always (even on these kinda activity websites) far above any other MMORPG. Unless Blizzard has been blocking some trackin' within the game but why wouldn't they reveal it instead of getting all the negativity on them. It isn't help on the game all the hate.

I do hope i am right and people are returning for what ever reason. Or might just see more people going back at older content.
    Just curious what websites are you checking for this stuff?
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Just curious what websites are you checking for this stuff?
    https://mmo-population.com/
    https://mmostats.com/

Some examples, as i said before they aren't Blizzard. But they do pull numbers from some sorta data.

7+ Year Old Account
    https://mmo-population.com/
    https://mmostats.com/

Some examples, as i said before they aren't Blizzard. But they do pull numbers from some sorta data.
    Mmo population doesn’t actually pull any data all of there numbers are made up from cross referencing Reddit with there own made up total account numbers.

Mmo stats seemingly is the same given that it says PoE has 800k players which is like 10 times there all time highs.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Mmo population doesn’t actually pull any data all of there numbers are made up from cross referencing Reddit with there own made up total account numbers.

Mmo stats seemingly is the same given that it says PoE has 800k players which is like 10 times there all time highs.
    Looked at the FF14 stats, it had 7.4M at 1 point in 2021. No fucking way indeed.
    But i still don't get it where people manage to pull all numbers from how WoW has no activity since Blizzard is the only one that knows. Where do they pull all these info from.

Looked at the FF14 stats, it had 7.4M at 1 point in 2021. No fucking way indeed.
    But i still don't get it where people manage to pull all numbers from how WoW has no activity since Blizzard is the only one that knows. Where do they pull all these info from.
    Blizzard APIs. I'd take anything that anybody pulls from the APIs with a grain of salt because: 1.) The API data doesn't account for false positives/alts/people that play and don't do activity that's logged; and most importantly, 2.) They do not account for an entire region, China. The data is good to trend player engagement but it's pretty much useless outside of that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Blizzard APIs. I'd take anything that anybody pulls from the APIs with a grain of salt because: 1.) The API data doesn't account for false positives/alts/people that play and don't do activity that's logged; and most importantly, 2.) They do not account for an entire region, China. The data is good to trend player engagement but it's pretty much useless outside of that.
    No but let us be realistic if their API's used to show a 10x amount of activity and now it is not, it is worrying none the less. Even if it isnt accurate info.
    Of course China isn't part of the API's but that is the same for any MMORPG ( Or am i wrong ? )

mmo-population uses only reddit population for its statistics. They just multiplies the number of reddit users like this https://imgur.com/a/B0YCtVv. I think mmo-stats is just a just copy site of mmo-population by choosing a certain time of mmo-population's data.

No but let us be realistic if their API's used to show a 10x amount of activity and now it is not, it is worrying none the less. Even if it isnt accurate info.
    Yes, this is called trending. That's what I said.

Of course China isn't part of the API's but that is the same for any MMORPG ( Or am i wrong ? )
    I doubt it; but all those pre-WoD population graphs from the QRs that people love to link and compare the current game to included China's numbers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hattahat View Post
    mmo-population uses only reddit population for its statistics. They just multiplies the number of reddit users like this https://imgur.com/a/B0YCtVv. I think mmo-stats is just a just copy site of mmo-population by choosing a certain time of mmo-population's data.
    I do wonder how FF14 is known to have beaten WoW in activity then? Like Blizzard hasn't said anything yet?

I do wonder how FF14 is known to have beaten WoW in activity then? Like Blizzard hasn't said anything yet?
    That's an easy one to answer: It hasn't.

It's also important to consider that FFXIV has a very lengthy "free trial," and those numbers that its players love to brandish as proof WoW has been dethroned include F2P players.

Because people don't know how those sites work and just believe what youtubers say, and those youtubers used those sites to draw attention.

We don't KNOW that; but we can INFER that from samples which are then scaled up statistically through various methods. It's not 100% accuracy, but depending on the method used it can give a fairly good indication of real numbers. Or, conversely, can be highly inaccurate if you do it wrong.

The only ones who have the real numbers are the companies themselves, and they usually don't make those publicly available.

7+ Year Old Account
    from my understanding site's that don't just make them up use the armory/API to check but some of those site's also have disclaimers and all china numbers are unviable.

pretty much no matter how much people want to pretend the API is legit data there are still huge gaps in it so it shouldn't be taken as a full picture.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    That's an easy one to answer: It hasn't.

It's also important to consider that FFXIV has a very lengthy "free trial," and those numbers that its players love to brandish as proof WoW has been dethroned include F2P players.
    Please do not consider this a game vs game thread i legit want real answers for i am a big fanboy in general.

But can you explain this?: https://hardwaresfera.com/en/noticia...20of%20MMORPGs

I do know the website is making use of these kinda websites cause it is straight in the message but still, is this stuff allowed in that case?