Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    I do wonder how FF14 is known to have beaten WoW in activity then? Like Blizzard hasn't said anything yet?
    You could use hundreds of different data sets of permutations and cherry-pick something to make it look like one game is more active. You'll see this in political coverage - there are dozens of polls and the media cherry-pick the outlier which fits in with their dumb narrative.

My bullshit detector went off when I noticed people complaining that people were playing FF14 more. They just released a new expansion, that's what you would expect. It doesn't make it more popular than wow, or for that matter GW or warframe or whatever.

Please do not consider this a game vs game thread i legit want real answers for i am a big fanboy in general.

But can you explain this?: https://hardwaresfera.com/en/noticia...20of%20MMORPGs

I do know the website is making use of these kinda websites cause it is straight in the message but still, is this stuff allowed in that case?
    He used mmo-population for the basis of his argument. Mmo-population takes only reddit into account, so i think it's totally unreliable.

These claims are based on somewhat faulty information, but I would be very happy if they prove true—I suppose it wouldn't be totally unexpected, but I was honestly thinking this might send Blizzard into serious competition. With FFXIV seemingly claiming relevance over WoW to some degree (at least for the MMO-interested crowd), I was thinking that between the harassment allegations and the Shadowlands fiasco, this may be it. If we're lucky, this'll simply be WoD on steroids and the next expansion could salvage it.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Please do not consider this a game vs game thread i legit want real answers for i am a big fanboy in general.

But can you explain this?: https://hardwaresfera.com/en/noticia...20of%20MMORPGs

I do know the website is making use of these kinda websites cause it is straight in the message but still, is this stuff allowed in that case?
    the website is just lying for click's because they didn't bother to fact check any thing and just took mmo population for fact.

lies sell unfortunately.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by hattahat View Post
    mmo-population uses only reddit population for its statistics. They just multiplies the number of reddit users like this . I think mmo-stats is just a just copy site of mmo-population by choosing a certain time of mmo-population's data.
    Wow that is extraordinary. How could anybody think that data was indicative of anything. 95% of MMO players literally never comment on social media at all about it.

Anyone else has been noticing this? Last few months i've been in hanging around WoW and i am slowly seeing more and more activity everywhere i go. Trade chat is more active, Goldshire is more alive (Argent Dawn) and so on.

Does anyone else noticed this or am i just imagining things? Ofc it is no where near oldskool level but i do seem to see an increase in players.
    People leaving NW and FFXIV I guess + 9.2 is coming out soon, an expansion reveal might be in reach etc etc. so people are slowly coming back I guess.

What is that website? lol -- it looks like an AI wrote the article you linked. But to answer your question, it's because people are intentionally misinterpreting incomplete data to support forgone conclusions.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by trandwidther View Post
    Wow that is extraordinary. How could anybody think that data was indicative of anything. 95% of MMO players literally never comment on social media at all about it.
    they don't think the data is indicative of anything they have a disclaimer saying so on there site and before updating it even said how they got the data and how it's not legit.

They just pretend like they do because they know people will google mmo player counts and then they can make money off of it.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    People leaving NW and FFXIV I guess + 9.2 is coming out soon, an expansion reveal might be in reach etc etc. so people are slowly coming back I guess.
    Yeah I have noticed a lot more players in wow of late. I think some tried FF14 over the last half of 2021 - but there has always been very high churn rate with FF14 with something like 90% of players quitting relatively quickly, so it would not be surprising if they came back.

Despite all the streamer hype there are many obvious reasons why it can't replace wow in many areas-for example the almost total absence of pvp in FF14.

There's bound to be an upsurge of activity when 9.2 releases, and even closer to its release since people like to 'get ready' for a patch.

That said, it might not be anything else other than a 'feeling' you're getting for seeing a couple more random dudes idle'ing in a spot you went to, instead of scattered.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Conceptuel View Post
    These claims are based on somewhat faulty information, but I would be very happy if they prove true—I suppose it wouldn't be totally unexpected, but I was honestly thinking this might send Blizzard into serious competition. With FFXIV seemingly claiming relevance over WoW to some degree (at least for the MMO-interested crowd), I was thinking that between the harassment allegations and the Shadowlands fiasco, this may be it. If we're lucky, this'll simply be WoD on steroids and the next expansion could salvage it.
    So they might not even be true? I been away for a bit and even everyone in WoW was screaming that FF14 surpassed it and i thought it was true, so these are just rumours not even facts?

I do hope Blizzard would get their shit togheter indeed but i am worried the Lawsuit, Covid etc just made it worse, maybe 10.0 is a fresh start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Blizzard APIs. I'd take anything that anybody pulls from the APIs with a grain of salt because: 1.) The API data doesn't account for false positives/alts/people that play and don't do activity that's logged; and most importantly, 2.) They do not account for an entire region, China. The data is good to trend player engagement but it's pretty much useless outside of that.
    Wouldn't alts inflate WoW's numbers? People usually play 1 char with multiple jobs in FFXIV

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    the website is just lying for click's because they didn't bother to fact check any thing and just took mmo population for fact.

lies sell unfortunately.
    Isn't it odd Blizzard doesn't make a statement that these things are not true? Like it just hurts their reputation at this point? Or you think i am overreacting?

So they might not even be true? I been away for a bit and even everyone in WoW was screaming that FF14 surpassed it and i thought it was true, so these are just rumours not even facts?

I do hope Blizzard would get their shit togheter indeed but i am worried the Lawsuit, Covid etc just made it worse, maybe 10.0 is a fresh start.
    No, FFXIV has more media relevance—that much seems pretty clear. People are talking about it more actively now. However, the buzz has sufficiently reduced and waned. Simultaneously, it seems like some players went to New World instead, which seems to be waning rapidly, making it not impossible that Blizzard could start waxing again.

Anyone else has been noticing this? Last few months i've been in hanging around WoW and i am slowly seeing more and more activity everywhere i go. Trade chat is more active, Goldshire is more alive (Argent Dawn) and so on.

Does anyone else noticed this or am i just imagining things? Ofc it is no where near oldskool level but i do seem to see an increase in players.
    Not really. If anything it's even more dead, at least on my 10 or so realms.

Nope. My "high pop" servers are pretty much dead. The only thing thriving is the boost spam in chat. About 50-60 spam messages per every actual trade chat post. I've ignored hundreds of characters across multiple characters and still the infestation of spam thrives.

7+ Year Old Account
    Isn't it odd Blizzard doesn't make a statement that these things are not true? Like it just hurts their reputation at this point? Or you think i am overreacting?
    id assume the bean counters who are in charge of the actual number's don't really care as to my understanding no game ever has micromanaged speculated numbers that way.

likely just not worth the time or effort when people will always make stuff up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    Not really. If anything it's even more dead, at least on my 10 or so realms.
    Right now Goldshire on Argent Dawn i would say has a good solid 50-100 people in it, and it is 00:05 AM here.
    Which is more then it had i would say 6 months ago. But each realm has their own ups and downs and as someone mentioned before it all depends who hangs where at each time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheWorkingTitle View Post
    Nope. My "high pop" servers are pretty much dead. The only thing thriving is the boost spam in chat. About 50-60 spam messages per every actual trade chat post. I've ignored hundreds of characters across multiple characters and still the infestation of spam thrives.
    They need to start merging servers that is the main issue, each realm has lets say 50-100 people in Stormwind, merge 5-6 togheter and you got a whole different view on WoW. EU has 200+ realms, 200 is quite TOOO much. At this point it is more that the player base is toooooo spread out.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedruid View Post
    Wouldn't alts inflate WoW's numbers? People usually play 1 char with multiple jobs in FFXIV
    It skews the numbers, that's the point.

- - - Updated - - -

Why should Blizzard care? The only thing that matters for how the business is run is the QR.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    It skews the numbers, that's the point.

- - - Updated - - -

Why should Blizzard care? The only thing that matters for how the business is run is the QR.
    What do they actually count anyways, what does ATI even mean exactly? Just content activity? Like RP Players do 0 activity so that means they dont get counted at all or ?