10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Agreed. You will find few who tout and enjoy Nintendo's success more than I do.

I meant to impart that I completely ignored the Switch OLED, didn't give it the time of day. I never played Switch in portable mode much anymore anyway(always played docked). It was only after a boredom purchase that I actually saw this thing with eyes and it blew me away. That's all I mean.

People who hate portables and complain that the switch is a hybrid and not a console, would CHANGE THEIR MINDS if they saw this screen, that's the level. Legitimacy from a hater audience that is usually unmoved/10 is my OLED screen review. Have to see to believe.

All Switch haters that exist today across the net would be retroactively pwned through time by this screen, if it could time travel. This screen makes believers on sight.
    Still it is fucking expensive for such a minor upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    It's like $150 if you sell your old switch net cost. That is hardly an expensive upgrade. Hell tbh they should make a Switch Lite OLED for $250 because there is no reason to ever use a portable switch on that shitty ass LED screen the original and Lite have(now that a proper screen option exists).

Old switch is fine for purely docked gaming ofc, but it's absolute dog shit compared to OLED for handheld.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Oh for sure if you are keeping the old unit and just upgrading out of the blue for only the screen(though I'm surprised by how awesome the actual screen was).

My original Switch was having shorter battery(it seemed) and I was able to repurpose it. Plus, no XSX that I could find and I was itching for some gaming hardware. My old Switch still lives and plays games, just not by me. If buying new, getting the OLED was the best choice because it was available and not much more expensive. I wasn't expecting the screen quality upgrade to blow me away but it did(I expected a good upgrade, but the thing is beautiful).

- - - Updated - - -

My 2022 Switch Wish List(01/13/22)

1. Persona 4 Golden
    2. Silksong
    3. Metroid Prime Remake
    4. BotW2
    5. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
    6. XBC3
    7. Fire Emblem remaster or preferably a new one
    8. WWHD + TP
    9. Bayonetta 3
    10. Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp

Some of these are probably already confirmed. I really have an eye out for Triangle Strategy as well.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2022-01-12 at 08:31 PM.

The graphics still look scuffed and i would be shocked if this isn't essentially a breath of the wild modpack but compared to the jank i was expecting this looks like a pretty decent update to the pokemon formula with a bravely default style option to alter your attacks, a actual visible queue for moves in battle and using items and pokeballs more in the world rather than just in battle items no different from a regular rpgs potions or the like.

I still think this is a 7/10 at best but unless the framrate is total dogshit i could honesty see this being a more meaningful mechanical update to pokemon than anything since black and white.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post

The graphics still look scuffed and i would be shocked if this isn't essentially a breath of the wild modpack but compared to the jank i was expecting this looks like a pretty decent update to the pokemon formula with a bravely default style option to alter your attacks, a actual visible queue for moves in battle and using items and pokeballs more in the world rather than just in battle items no different from a regular rpgs potions or the like.

I still think this is a 7/10 at best but unless the framrate is total dogshit i could honesty see this being a more meaningful mechanical update to pokemon than anything since black and white.
    man.. that "Agile Style" and "Strong Style" animation will get old really quick... One thing that annoys me with brilliant diamond is how high friendship makes the battles take longer with all the annoying dialogue.

Not sure how much longer the consoles life is but I've been thinking of getting a switch for the past 2 Pokémon games. Didn't get it when Sword and Shield came out since 90% of the new Pokémon looked like shit but I've been really tempted with Diamond/Pearl and this game. The mechanics seem interesting and I like that the Pokemon can attack you but the trailers they put out make me hesitant on finally buying one. They mention its full of distinct environments and then they just show lightly forested plains, a beach, and snowy area then for the customization part all they show is one set with different colors. Even if it's only starter items and you unlock a shitton later, why not at least have 2 different styles? Kinda makes it feel like they cheeped out on parts of the game.

10+ Year Old Account

So I feel like I'm finally getting an idea of what this game is all about, but I feel like it might end up being kinda... boring? I dunno we'll have to see how it all comes together. The Noble Pokemon battles of throwing dust at them seems.... dumb, but we'll see. I'm going to buy and play it just to see what is up with it. I do like the new designs that I've seen though, but it definitely seems like there will be few if any trainer battles which is concerning to me.

The graphics aren't great, but I honestly don't care. The only reason I cared in Sw/Sh is because I felt like the game regressed in several areas AND it looked like shit so I was left wondering where the effort was put in.

Maybe this is overly pessimistic, but I feel like people always applaud Gamefreak for trying new things when in reality they are trying things that other JRPGs did years ago and usually not as well as those games did it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    So I feel like I'm finally getting an idea of what this game is all about, but I feel like it might end up being kinda... boring? I dunno we'll have to see how it all comes together. The Noble Pokemon battles of throwing dust at them seems.... dumb, but we'll see. I'm going to buy and play it just to see what is up with it. I do like the new designs that I've seen though, but it definitely seems like there will be few if any trainer battles which is concerning to me.

The graphics aren't great, but I honestly don't care. The only reason I cared in Sw/Sh is because I felt like the game regressed in several areas AND it looked like shit so I was left wondering where the effort was put in.

Maybe this is overly pessimistic, but I feel like people always applaud Gamefreak for trying new things when in reality they are trying things that other JRPGs did years ago and usually not as well as those games did it.
    Just get monster hunter stories instead. Its more fun than that for sure. And it also looks better.

I wont be buying this till i see the most critical stuff abauth it.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Just get monster hunter stories instead. Its more fun than that for sure. And it also looks better.

I wont be buying this till i see the most critical stuff abauth it.
    Already have it

I was looking at a Japanese preorders site and Elden Ring was number 2, so far behind Pokemon it must have been 10 to 1. Japan is ready for Arceus.(of course, due to soon release date that is skewed, but lemme see if I can finda link)

edit: found on vgchartz: https://www.comgnet.com/ranking/

People applaud gamefreak for trying new things? Wow.

Personally i've wanted a 3D pokemon game that stepped outside of their adopted format since the ps1/2 era and after seeing decades of the same game i have become very jaded towards the series as a whole.

It's Pokemon. They don't need to show trainer battles anymore, pretty sure everyone knows what they're like.

They wouldn't make a whole new combat mechanics just to not have many battles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    It's Pokemon. They don't need to show trainer battles anymore, pretty sure everyone knows what they're like.

They wouldn't make a whole new combat mechanics just to not have many battles.
    The whole premise of the game is that this is super early times, there isn't even a Pokedex, and Pokeballs are very primitive. Having a bunch of trainers running around wouldn't even really make sense. Pretty sure this might end up being a Fallout 76 situation where the main thing people like about the games, interacting with NPCs, is very limited.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    People applaud gamefreak for trying new things? Wow.

Personally i've wanted a 3D pokemon game that stepped outside of their adopted format since the ps1/2 era and after seeing decades of the same game i have become very jaded towards the series as a whole.
    I've heard people unironically say the Wild Area in Sword and Shield was a great innovation. Even though it was literally an open plain with Pokemon strewn across it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The whole premise of the game is that this is super early times, there isn't even a Pokedex, and Pokeballs are very primitive. Having a bunch of trainers running around wouldn't even really make sense. Pretty sure this might end up being a Fallout 76 situation where the main thing people like about the games, interacting with NPCs, is very limited.
    The human cast is already pretty extensive. They just aren't trainers like I main series.

15+ Year Old Account
    It looks like garbage. Dont @ me

I've heard people unironically say the Wild Area in Sword and Shield was a great innovation. Even though it was literally an open plain with Pokemon strewn across it.
    Pokeballs are very primitive yet anyone can craft them with berries. They didn't say anything about them being hard to get, just that pokemon are still supposed to be mostly a mysterious because they haven't had generations of studies on them yet. Despite the game coming out in 2 weeks we still barely have seen anything about it honestly, I'm really not sure how you're trying to draw conclusions from that.

And the Wild Area was a great addition. Simplifying it down to "An open plain with pokemon on it" would be like calling every route in pokemon "a narrow path with some trainers and random encounters on it". They had quite a bit more than just being an open plain in the DLC especially.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Pokeballs are very primitive yet anyone can craft them with berries. They didn't say anything about them being hard to get, just that pokemon are still supposed to be mostly a mysterious because they haven't had generations of studies on them yet. Despite the game coming out in 2 weeks we still barely have seen anything about it honestly, I'm really not sure how you're trying to draw conclusions from that.

And the Wild Area was a great addition. Simplifying it down to "An open plain with pokemon on it" would be like calling every route in pokemon "a narrow path with some trainers and random encounters on it". They had quite a bit more than just being an open plain in the DLC especially.
    ....agree to disagree I guess. I don't see how you can look at modern open world design and honestly say that the Wild Area was good. I will admit that the DLC improved upon their open world design though and is overall decent. Also the routes suffered as a result with HM puzzles being absent and most routes not having branching paths.

Also in the Pokemon BD/SP trailer they highlighted trainer battles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUOlZBxdrTA. In the Sword and Shield trailer they also highlighted trainer battles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPO2ouGn0lA. From the official Legends site: "Your adventure is set in the expansive natural majesty of the Hisui region, in an age long ago when it was rare for people and Pokémon to live in close harmony. In time, this land of Hisui will come to be called Sinnoh—a region you may know well." and also this:"Pokémon Battles against Other People

The mingling of people and Pokémon is still not the norm in the Hisui region. People who live alongside Pokémon are rare, and people who lead their Pokémon in battle are even rarer. However, some people—such as certain wardens—have forged strong bonds with Pokémon and may challenge you to a battle."

So it seems like the Wardens are the only confirmed trainers in Husui and they seem to be like Gym Leaders in that they are strong but also few in number. They literally make a point to say on multiple occasions that most people don't own Pokemon during this time. It seems more likely that you are ignoring a lot of evidence that trainer battles will be limited. I'd love to be wrong but even if I am they are not doing a good job marketing this game in that case.

....agree to disagree I guess. I don't see how you can look at modern open world design and honestly say that the Wild Area was good. I will admit that the DLC improved upon their open world design though and is overall decent. Also the routes suffered as a result with HM puzzles being absent and most routes not having branching paths.
    Because it wasn't intended to be an open world in the modern way? It was Pokemon's first attempt at anything like that, and it was fun. Not only that, but they showed pretty quickly in the DLC to have expanded on that knowledge/experience already.

And uh...HM Puzzles? You mean roadblocks, right? Outside of a few odd strength puzzles, that's all they really served was a forced way to stop a player from going a certain way until they progress further in the game.

Also in the Pokemon BD/SP trailer they highlighted trainer battles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUOlZBxdrTA. In the Sword and Shield trailer they also highlighted trainer battles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPO2ouGn0lA. From the official Legends site: "Your adventure is set in the expansive natural majesty of the Hisui region, in an age long ago when it was rare for people and Pokémon to live in close harmony. In time, this land of Hisui will come to be called Sinnoh—a region you may know well." and also this:"Pokémon Battles against Other People

The mingling of people and Pokémon is still not the norm in the Hisui region. People who live alongside Pokémon are rare, and people who lead their Pokémon in battle are even rarer. However, some people—such as certain wardens—have forged strong bonds with Pokémon and may challenge you to a battle."

So it seems like the Wardens are the only confirmed trainers in Husui and they seem to be like Gym Leaders in that they are strong but also few in number. They literally make a point to say on multiple occasions that most people don't own Pokemon during this time. It seems more likely that you are ignoring a lot of evidence that trainer battles will be limited. I'd love to be wrong but even if I am they are not doing a good job marketing this game in that case.
    I mean, what did they have to focus on really otherwise in the overview trailers? I'd like to point out despite being similar length in video, BD/SP spent a minute total on battles, while Sword and Shield spent ~30 seconds on it. So they do cut back on it to show other features if the game has them, the Wild Area in Sword and Shield's case.

The gameplay trailer for Arceus spent more time on battles for a longer video, but it did only focus on the wild pokemon aspect of it. But they've already, as you even quote, said there's going to be trainer battles.
    The idea of "most people don't own Pokemon" is to reflect the fact that literally everyone you come across in modern games have Pokemon, even the random households who don't have trainers. Society isn't intermingled with Pokemon.

Maybe there won't be trainers literally scattered everywhere either, but it's definitely going to a part of the game. I mean, it could be a system where you rebattle trainers who are constantly changing their party even which would basically end up being pretty similar even if there's less in sheer amount.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is what I'm talking about though. It doesn't matter if it's Pokemon's first attempt at something like that. It doesn't mean it gets to be mediocre. SMT V had the series first open world areas and it was far more successful and satisfying to traverse. That series also gets a fraction of the sales that Pokemon does, so it feels even worse. Like I said, people praise Game Freak for doing a mediocre job just because they're "innovating." Breath of the Wild also innovated but did it in a waaaayyyy more successful way that is actually deserving of praise. BotW also kinda looks like wide open plains but there are so many secrets and puzzles to find in the world.

Jester are you approaching this discussion in bad faith? Because it really seems like you are. The HM obstacles served as a metroidvania type mechanic on seeing areas blocked off and becoming accessible later. Also you didn't address the fact that most routes are just straight up linear paths. There was very little exploration to be found. No caves to travel through, no dungeons to explore in the post game. Likely due to the fact that effort was put into the Wild Area.

They literally say: People who live with Pokemon are rare, people who lead their Pokemon in battle (Trainers) are even rarer. If you can't see how I would interpret that as thinking that trainer battles will be limited or nonexistent, then we're just both wasting our time. I did forget about the Wardens when I made my first post, but my worry still stands that there will not be as many Pokemon trainer battles and every single bit of marketing about this game is pointing to that being the case.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's going to be shit when smt 5 and xenoblade 2 exist on a trilliinth of the budget